gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 12:07:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 14 Beach Boys albums coming to vinyl/SACD  (Read 212848 times)
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: April 05, 2015, 07:45:14 PM »

You’ve assembled a very nice system, Alan!  Especially your classic 70’s era Thorens TD-160 and 166.  Didn’t realize there was a potential VTA issue with those Thorens. Have you considered plastic shims? You’re definitely getting into some cool mods on the 166 with a Grace tone arm and custom plinth.

Bummer that your Denon DP 300f “sounded like total sh*t (heavy mids with no roll off).” Speaking of Denon's, purely from a visual standpoint I’ve always admired the looks of the direct drive fully automatic walnut base Denon’s, like the 37F and 45F.

That Pioneer PLX-1000 is a very sexy looking implementation of the Technics 1200.  I’m assuming you saw Herb Reichert’s recent Stereophile review, raving about the table, as well as Steve Gutenberg’s enthusiastic C|Net review of a few months back.  It’s rather surprising, and I think totally cool, that a Japanese branded (but Chinese made) direct drive table has received such high accolades from Stereophile. It’ll be interesting to see how the Onkyo - Pioneer home audio merger plays out, with Onkyo essentially buying out Pioneer’s home audio division.

Next up I’ve gotta figure out how to procure “a stereophonic speaker set with vibrasonic sound”! I’d always assumed that “vibrasonic sound” was a generic term for a car stereo reverb system, perhaps even a term that Mike Love made up for the song, but I just did a web search on “vibrasonic sound” and was surprised to discover that it was an actual brand name.

Thanks for the heads up that Michael Fremer has reviewed the first five AP BB reissues on Analog Planet.  I’ve gotta check that out soon, but in addition what I’d really like to do is pay a visit to his man cave and give a listen to his massive $200K Wilson Audio Alexandria XLF speakers, preferably playing some BB vinyl.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 08:55:00 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
dcowboys107
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: April 08, 2015, 05:54:42 PM »

Stereo or mono (or both) for which ones?

The first four I'd say mono even though the stereo versions aren't necessarily bad.

SDV2 I think mono but "In the Parking Lot" is amazing in stereo. The rest sound better in mono except for "This Car of Mine."

Today mono?

Summer Days mono?

Party sound kick ass in stereo I think. The bass sounds so powerful and emotive and the space to breath helps.

Pet Sounds sounds best in stereo to me but I'd love to hear a good mono pressing. This album is majestic in stereo and I love "You Still..." in stereo with Brian's single tracked lead vocal versus the double tracked on the mono one.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 06:47:19 AM by dcowboys107 » Logged
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: April 08, 2015, 10:57:42 PM »

Stereo or mono (or both) for which ones?

The first four I'd say mono even though the stereo versions aren't necessarily bad.

SDV2 I think mono but "In the Parking Lot" is amazing in stereo. The rest sound better in mono except for "This Car of Mine."

Today mono?

Summer Days mono?

Party sound kick ass in stereo I think. The bass sounds so powerful and emotive and the space to breath helps.

Pet Sounds sounds best in stereo to my buy I'd love to hear a good mono pressing. This album is majestic in stereo and I love "You Still..." in stereo with Brian's single tracked lead vocal versus the double tracked on the mono one.

I've passed on the first four but I dread to think what this next batch is going to cost me. If the reviews are solid I could see myself going for All Summer Long, Today and SDSN in mono, Party and Smiley in stereo and, if it's good, Pet Sounds in both. Maybe Holland too.

Does anyone know when the next lot are due?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
dcowboys107
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: April 09, 2015, 06:52:03 AM »

The next batch should be out May 1st.

Thanks for mentioning All Summer. I think that sounds best in mono.

I'm going to shell out for the vinyl to have a nice complete set of their work.  I listen to their music all the time so having it in that format just makes sense to me.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: April 16, 2015, 11:38:17 AM »

I took the dive and ordered the first 5 SACDs. I haven't yet got an SACD player, but at this time that's not the worry, hgiven they're hybrids. Plus the 10% coupon was a nice addition

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: April 16, 2015, 02:03:01 PM »

I took the dive and ordered the first 5 SACDs. I haven't yet got an SACD player, but at this time that's not the worry, hgiven they're hybrids. Plus the 10% coupon was a nice addition

Ten per cent coupon?HuhHuh??

“We live in divisive times.”
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: April 16, 2015, 02:08:34 PM »

Yeah, did we miss something?

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: April 16, 2015, 02:12:25 PM »

Yeah, did we miss something?

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: April 16, 2015, 03:12:04 PM »

Thanks Custom!!!!

Go nuts, guys, you have until either next May, or today, depending on how you read the expiry date!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: April 16, 2015, 03:13:02 PM »

Yeah, that blaring on the homepage was quite subtle  Roll Eyes

Also, super fast service - it's already been shipped and I have my tracking number!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: April 16, 2015, 03:21:19 PM »

Yeah, that blaring on the homepage was quite subtle  Roll Eyes

Also, super fast service - it's already been shipped and I have my tracking number!

Very grateful… to be honest I never visit the homepage - I have bookmarked the search page with "beach boys" pre-keyed to save time - but not, apparently, money!

My thanks.

And yes, the service is swift - ordered he first five mono LPs a few weeks ago and they crossed the pond within three days. The import duty was a blow though :/
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 03:23:05 PM by John Manning » Logged

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: April 16, 2015, 04:19:34 PM »

Usually ending your name with "& family" grants you greater import allowance - up to 4x the amount. We'll see how it works here.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: April 16, 2015, 04:29:07 PM »

Very grateful… to be honest I never visit the homepage - I have bookmarked the search page with "beach boys" pre-keyed to save time - but not, apparently, money!

My thanks.

And yes, the service is swift - ordered he first five mono LPs a few weeks ago and they crossed the pond within three days. The import duty was a blow though :/

Usually ending your name with "& family" grants you greater import allowance - up to 4x the amount. We'll see how it works here.

Must confess I 've never been dinged, here in the states,  for import duty on packages from anywhere. Is there a base amount  that they use for shipping your way?
and how much wre the charges on the 5 LPs?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: April 17, 2015, 02:03:44 AM »

My thanks.

Must confess I 've never been dinged, here in the states,  for import duty on packages from anywhere. Is there a base amount  that they use for shipping your way?
and how much wre the charges on the 5 LPs?

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

Remember our VAT is 20% anyway, and then there's a base charge from each company - £8 Royal Mail, £16 (I think) on Parcel Force on top of the VAT.

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: April 17, 2015, 12:37:52 PM »

Remember folks Scott Nangle Audio for UK purchases.  John, I received my stereo vinyl "Surfer Girl" lp.  I received it 5 days after I ordered it, including the 2 days for delivery and 2 days were the weekend!  As you know I also bought the first 5 monos without any problems.  Some bad reviews online but I've had good service from him.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: April 17, 2015, 01:13:50 PM »

Freddie, how much is the shipping charge for these SACDs to the UK?
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: April 17, 2015, 02:23:15 PM »

Broke down and purchased the other two titles that I didn't get from the first batch of the hybrid-SACDs (SURFIN' SAFARI and LITTLE DEUCE COUPE).  Didn't really need them or anything but I hated not having the whole set.

I assume the next batch of vinyls will be out in May?  Which means we could maybe expect the next corresponding batch of hybrid-SACDs in June-ish? 

At the current rate, it would seem Acoustic Sounds is going to stretch this out over the entire calendar year.  Which is okay I suppose given the price tag.  And I'm only listening to the Redbook CD layer, the Kevin Gray mastering is the absolute selling point to me — and absolutely does not disappoint.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: April 17, 2015, 02:55:26 PM »

The total price I paid for the 5 SACDs with discount and postage was £112

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: April 17, 2015, 03:03:01 PM »

Thank you for the quick reply!  I'm thinking of maybe ordering these directly from Acoustic Sounds or waiting until Scott Nangle Audio has them in stock.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: April 17, 2015, 03:36:50 PM »

I assume the next batch of vinyls will be out in May?  Which means we could maybe expect the next corresponding batch of hybrid-SACDs in June-ish? 

I've read May 01, but not confirmed on the web site (general sections), ie could be May 31.

I guess the next batch will be the sold out! one, what with the great Green behemoth amongst it's pickings.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: April 17, 2015, 03:43:08 PM »

£93.77 for four SACDs… import duties might have to be added.

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: April 17, 2015, 04:33:08 PM »

Cheers John.  Did you pass on Surfin' Safari by any chance?  Do you think it would be worth getting Surfin' USA and Surfer Girl even though I have the mono and stereo vinyls?  I also have the Pastmasters CDs.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: April 17, 2015, 10:58:40 PM »

Didn't pass on Surfin Safari… have had it on order at Spin CDs since time immemorial and am hoping against hope that they deliver. Had the Blu-Ray Pet Sounds on order there for a year before querying them; they cancelled and issued a refund, dropped the listing then relisted it with a new date (next week!). Don't want them to cancel the Safari order but I am starting to lose confidence.

Edit: Not to mention fact that its no longer listed at the AP site ! (Or wasn't while I was ordering…)

Edit edit: it's there now, perhaps I didn't look hard enough…
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 11:06:05 PM by John Manning » Logged

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: April 20, 2015, 11:55:33 PM »

My 5 SACD's came today - seems the "& Family" part worked - no customs!

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: April 21, 2015, 03:53:11 AM »

My 5 SACD's came today - seems the "& Family" part worked - no customs!

I've never heard of this '& Family' loophole but might give it a whirl if and when I order from this next batch. I am wondering if any UK retailers might take these on though, given more popular BB titles will be in the mix. What Records seem to import some of the better vinyl releases.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 29 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx