gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:50:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 14 Beach Boys albums coming to vinyl/SACD  (Read 211343 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: January 26, 2015, 11:06:33 PM »

Many thanks indeed Alan. Especially for the advice about posting reviews while the missus is out Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 09, 2015, 02:15:49 AM »

***Reposted from http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,19849.msg497855.html#msg497855, by popular demand***
Thought I’d compile some descriptions/rundowns/observations of the general packaging/notation for the Analogue Productions vinyl reissues (First five mono editions for now, it will be sometime before I get the stereo editions).

The intent is to provide a nuts and bolts preview for interested purchasers or some specifics for comparative or trainspotting purposes in one spot (as a lot of this stuff is already out there).  Corrections invited.

A/P = Analogue Productions.

Shrink wrap packaging
Tears very or too easily along perforation at top of LP (So if you want to keep these sealed, don’t even handle the top edge).

Sticker 1
The Analogue Productions quality guarantee lists five compelling elements (summarised by me) - Original Master tapes, we only use ‘em and work with the best mastering cats; Quality Record Pressings, plated and pressed by the lords; Unmatched QC, meticulous test pressing evaluation (attention, bgas) and quality control; Deluxe Packaging, HQ jackets and rice paper (yum) inner sleeves; Limited Edition - Out of Print, less than 1,000 records per stamper.

Sticker 2 (below sticker one)
Quality Records Pressing logo sticker.

Cover
Height/width around 45cms x 45cms
Depth at the Spine (thickness) is approx 4 millimeters

Spine notation from top to bottom runs:
Analogue Productions catalogue number code - e.g: APP XXXM (or S for Stereo).  (Sequences for these 5 editions is from 058 onwards)
ALBUM NAME
A black dot/separator
ANALOGUE PRODUCTIONS

The cover artwork seems to have been printed separately then attached/pasted to the cardboard (I could be wrong) by folding down from the front to the back, spine first, then top and bottom tabs, with the printed cover sort of pasted onto the back. I'll have to go and rewatch the A/P vids.

Front Cover
Top Right reads: File under:  The Beach Boys . Vocal Group, Surfing Music, Car Songs (depending on which LP); the black tab/finger guide (whatever that’s called, anyone?) Then the Capitol catalogue code - e.g., T 1981

Back cover
Top right:
Capitol catalogue code
Capitol Recordings HIGH FIDELITY RECORDING block, in black curved edge border
Analogue Productions Logo  and Quality Record Pressings logo

The RIAA logo does not feature on all editions. Next to the “This monophonic microgroove….” block, AP have retained the factory print code indicator on Surfer Girl (6).

The very last line of notation from left to right reads:
Originally released in 196(X). c 2014 Capitol Records, LLC.  Manufactured by Universal Music Enterprises, a division of UMG Recordings, Inc.  2220 Colorado Avenue, Santa Monica, CA 90404.  B0019454-01.

To the far right of this block is the Universal Music Special Markets logo.

Inner packaging
Analogue Productions Acoustic Sounds 6 page fold out selected (targeted) catalogue listing and promo blurbs.

4 page fold out featuring a photo from the Surfin’ Safari front cover photo shoot. *This item is likely specific to the mono collection, and the story focus's on the earlier years*

Page 2 - Liner notes written by David Clouston and Marc Sheforgen
The Beach Boys
A reissue series to rival any other.  Finally one of the most important bands in history is presented in ultimate quality.

“These are the best sound and best looking versions…” quote by Chad Kassem, the king of A/P

A section entitled why mono telling how A/P weren’t initially interested in rereleasing the mono reasoning all of those beautiful harmonies panned across a wide sound stage, texture, nuance-arama was the way to go, oh and A/P wasn't familiar with these mono things (Man… Tongue) - Until some the Beach Boys band members opened A/P’s eyes to the mono mixes; with can openers I hope.

Anyway, below these sections are photos of tape boxes for Surfer Girl, Surfin’ Safari, Sunflower (side 1).  Note these tapes have been High Def archived!

page 3 - “The story”
Cliff notes - The BB’s are renowned for their distinctive unmistakable vocals, 2nd only to the Beatles re Top 40 impact. Macca has said Pepper’s was an attempt to address Pet Sounds. 3 brothers, a cousin, a friend who left for a bit, David Marks replaced Al. Brian’s undisputed genius for you know what was complemented by the talented others over the years, also Bruce joined later and they reached lofty chart heights.  It all started in ’51, Brian sang 10 year old Mike’s Old Soldier song, blah blah, a mention of Sunflower and Holland, no regurgitation of Murry’s tough love (he does get a mention), the Smile saga, or the drug related issues deterioration stories.

Production notes
Mastered by Kevin Gray at COHERENT AUDIO, most from the original master tapes, or best sources available
200g vinyl/plated by Gary Salstrom at Quality Record Pressings
Audio Production - Mark Linett
Archive and Research - Alan Boyd

Producer, Chad Kassem; Product Manager, Brent Briggs; Research Consultant, Alan Boyd; Design, James Wolf; A&R Supervision, Matt D’Amico; Audio Consultant, Mark Linett; Liner notes (as above)

Back page is an ad for the whole reissue series.

Nearly there.

LP Inner label
Capitol Rainbow style, logos and blurbs as mentioned on the front covers.
Matrix markings, from (err) left (i.e., first marking to last in a clockwork direction): label number+side (hand scribed), KMG (hand scribed), CA (hand scribed), QRP (some kind of block stamp), KEVIN GRAY (typeset/block stamp).
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 02:17:57 AM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 16, 2015, 09:06:08 AM »

I've just ordered the first 5 monos.  Took a while to decide as I have original UK for a few of them in excellent condition.  I also generally prefer stereo but have the Capitol Greens from the 80s as well as the EMS 25th anniversary releases for some of these.  I bought the monos to be completist and also as I believe the 60s monos may be more 'muddy'.

Going forward (due to cost) I'm wondering which 'Chuck Britz' stereo versions to buy.  Has anyone who has purchased these compared them with the 80s pressings or original stereos? I will get the 'new' 2012 stereo versions i.e., Today, Summer Days and Smiley.  Will it be worth getting Pet Sounds (I have the excellent 1999 stereo pressing, mono brown cover, green label, EMS, From the Vaults etc)?

I would love them all but cost wise it's a long shot (maybe!).  I also imagine I will buy some of the SACDs.

Any help/reviews much appreciated.

PS John Manning, I ordered from Scott Nangle so I will let you know how I get on.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 17, 2015, 01:49:43 AM »

Nice going, Mike - you are in for a treat, I'll resist posting any "spoilers" in the meantime, but it's hard, man  Grin

You will have seen some of the feedback at Hoffman board, but I'm yet to see anyone do a serious A/B.  Surfin' USA got a good rap, and there's been a lot of buzz about Surfer Girl - my guess is that's mainly because of the song Surfer Girl.

Sorry I can't be of further help as I haven't taken the plunge on the stereo editions - YET - due to the $ factor as the exchange rate is not moving in my favour - and I'll be targeting the next round of mono pressings, then see what's left later this year.

I'm unlikely to get the new stereo mixes on vinyl; I'll probably look into getting these on SACD - some sunny day.

The interesting one will be Sunflower - after Custom Machine and Stephen Desper's great conversation above about the imperial delights of the original pressing, its hard to not be compelled to seek out the same.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 01:53:31 AM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: February 17, 2015, 09:08:19 AM »

After recently dabbling in SACDs, these are the releases that interest me most - though UK shipping will never be cheap - but CD's are considerably less than the LPs (As much as I would love them)

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: February 17, 2015, 11:03:02 AM »

Nice going, Mike - you are in for a treat, I'll resist posting any "spoilers" in the meantime, but it's hard, man  Grin

Cheers Alan, I think I'll definitely get Holland when it comes out for "We Got Love" and hopefully "Sunflower".  I probably won't get the Monos of Today and Summer days as I have the Vaults pressings of those, same for Pet Sounds and Surf's Up.  But we'll see! Hopefully the ones we don't buy just now won't go for crazy prices in the future (like the DCC Pet Sounds!).
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 17, 2015, 01:54:24 PM »

After recently dabbling in SACDs, these are the releases that interest me most - though UK shipping will never be cheap - but CD's are considerably less than the LPs (As much as I would love them)
Testify. Yeah, they're kind of a deal comparatively/sadly - as I didn't stock up on most of the 2012 cds, I think these will be an interesting consideration.

I‘m also interested to see if AP eventually offer these tracks as high def flacs through their online site - 24 bit tracks are nice on an SACD player but it`s a task to get them onto your portable media.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: February 23, 2015, 03:48:13 PM »

I just received stereo "Surfin' USA".  I managed to get this from an ebay UK seller for less than he's selling the Capitol/UMe reissues!  This was the only one he had in stock.  I'm still waiting for my monos from Scott Nangle Audio!

The pressing is super quiet and the packaging fab.  I'll need to do more comparisons with my other versions but it seems a bit more treblely.  Still happy with it though  Grin.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: February 23, 2015, 03:56:13 PM »

I'm still waiting for my monos from Scott Nangle Audio!

Noted LOL

I'm still waiting for my S. Safari SACD from Spin - anyone else received a copy of this yet?

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: February 25, 2015, 11:56:40 PM »

Clear down some debt, lads, AP SACDs (hybrids) a-hoy!:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&searchtext=beach%2Cboys&labelid=507&CategoryID=4&status=In%20Stock
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 12:03:55 AM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: February 27, 2015, 02:08:15 PM »

Well the good news is I picked up four of the five monos I ordered from Scott Nangle Audio!  I hadn't heard from him since I ordered two weeks ago.  I tried to contact him yesterday to no avail.  But he phoned me today and I went to his house in the afternoon and picked them up in person.  He'll send Surfin' Safari on when he can get to it.  He gets boxes of LPs delivered delivered.  Seems like a good guy, likes to chat music and obviously is an audiophile and knows his stuff.  I read the bad reviews but it seems to me that he wouldn't intentionally scam anybody.  

John I gave you a mention and told him you had pre-ordered Holland and he seemed to recall our name.  I'm certainly pleased with the service I received.  They also worked out 10 UK quid cheaper than I would have gotten them elsewhere!  Grin

Anyone else notice they have used the wrong picture on the back cover of Surfer Girl?  So much for the best quality control! Roll Eyes

Just noticed some kind of lilac coloured sky behind the Boys on the front cover (left and right of the picture).  It's not on any of the other versions I have.

Sounds great though!  Grin
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 02:30:01 PM by mikeddonn » Logged
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: February 27, 2015, 02:46:45 PM »

Anyone else notice they have used the wrong picture on the back cover of Surfer Girl?  So much for the best quality control! Roll Eyes
Yep! Not sure if I mentioned here or at Hoffman the photo artwork (as opposed to fonts`n`colourings) haven`t hit the mark for this kind (prestige, expensive) of release - imo.

To use the wrong pic (from the same shoot) could be considered careless and disappoining - however, perhaps it could be considered a boon (as some say) for collector types - in days to come.

Back on the photo art, I've no idea, but are the rights to photo art tiered, like music? It's almost like AP couldn't secure or afford to secure the rights to original photo art from Capitol, but they were able to secure permission to reproduce the covers using their own sources.

I don't know, just throwin' it out there in case anyone has a notion?

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: February 27, 2015, 03:39:42 PM »

I read your posts regarding cover quality on here when you received your first batch and I agree with your points Alan.  I was surprised when hey mentioned in the videos they were scanning he over artwork.  Maybe as you say they couldn't secure the rights to use the originals.  Funnily enough the Surfer Girl front cover looks the most 'natural' in that in all the others I have you can tell they've been superimposed onto it.  But yeah the colours are a bit off.

Overall though I'm pleased with my purchases.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: February 27, 2015, 04:23:22 PM »

Might be battle original negs/tranies have been lost or have deteriorated. So they've taken the closest approximation available. Bit odd though if they're scanning the covers anyhoo.

Mikeddon - many thanks indeed!  Quite reassuring. Is Scott somewhere in Lanarkshire if I recall? Larkhall? I spent a handful of years in Eaglesham, New Lanark and Strathaven while working in EK… might even be able to pick up my own order this summer…

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: February 27, 2015, 04:44:16 PM »

Might be battle original negs/tranies have been lost or have deteriorated. So they've taken the closest approximation available. Bit odd though if they're scanning the covers anyhoo.

Mikeddon - many thanks indeed!  Quite reassuring. Is Scott somewhere in Lanarkshire if I recall? Larkhall? I spent a handful of years in Eaglesham, New Lanark and Strathaven while working in EK… might even be able to pick up my own order this summer…

He is John, Ashgill, right next to Larkhall. My wife grew up in EK. Small world.  Grin
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: March 01, 2015, 04:21:41 PM »

So on Alan's suggestion, I am joining this discussion. Which reissues are the best so far?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 04:28:46 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #391 on: March 02, 2015, 10:12:37 AM »

Surfer girl, shut down vol2, all summer long, today, summer days, pet sounds, smiley smile...sunflower/ then lil deuce coupe, wild honey, 20/20, surfs up & holland..
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: March 02, 2015, 11:39:25 AM »

So on Alan's suggestion, I am joining this discussion. Which reissues are the best so far?

Wouldn't you have to buy these, or have heard them to join a discussion about them?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #393 on: March 02, 2015, 11:46:11 AM »

All I know is I take an orig mono LP over a remastered reissue.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: March 02, 2015, 02:46:03 PM »

I tend to prefer stereo but love it when a mono version sounds like stereo.  For example, Surfer Girl sounds so clear and there is almost a wide soundstage to it (as far as is possible with a mono release).  But then again that lp has always been sonically perfect IMHO.  On "Hawaii" for example I heard things I hadn't noticed before. 

The monos are also good because with the Chuck Britz original stereos the tracks are a bit further back in the mixes and the endings were clipped.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #395 on: March 06, 2015, 06:29:45 AM »

I guess I'm the only one who bought the SACDs, eh? Otherwise surely someone else would be expressing their pleasure, wouldn't they?

These discs are damn good. Whether you listen to the CD layer or venture into the real of Super Audio by flipping the switch, these discs are a very satisfying listening experience.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #396 on: March 06, 2015, 07:11:51 AM »

I guess I'm the only one who bought the SACDs, eh? Otherwise surely someone else would be expressing their pleasure, wouldn't they?

These discs are damn good. Whether you listen to the CD layer or venture into the real of Super Audio by flipping the switch, these discs are a very satisfying listening experience.

I’m definitely going to pick these up at some point. It’s just tough to buy a full wave of $30-per-disc titles. These probably would have gotten even more traction had they not done the mono/stereo reissues back in 2011 or 2012 or whenever that was.

But based on some reviews I’ve read, and knowing Kevin Gray’s work, these could well be the definitive masterings of these albums.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 06, 2015, 09:18:14 AM »

I think the later albums will get more attention, generally.  At this price (£26.99 each at Spin), I'm gonna have to be selective.  I was kinda waiting to hear all the commentary about it (thought there'd be more).  Anyway, I'll wait til the other ones come out, then decide.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 06, 2015, 10:33:15 AM »

I think the later albums will get more attention, generally.  At this price (£26.99 each at Spin), I'm gonna have to be selective.  I was kinda waiting to hear all the commentary about it (thought there'd be more).  Anyway, I'll wait til the other ones come out, then decide.

I've had Surfin Safari on order at Spin for a fair while now - two stalls on the release date despite the website havin said that it ships within days. This morning I was told maybe another 7-10 days before it's in stock.  Appreciate it's an import but the first 5 mono LPs shipped from AP in the States and were at my front door within three days of ordering. Bit frustrated right now… these things are starting to show up on Amazon UK buts its hard to tell which format is actually listed!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 10:43:39 AM by John Manning » Logged

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 06, 2015, 01:50:32 PM »

I got Surfin' Safari Mono vinyl in today. It was the last one in the initial batch of 5 I ordered from Scott Nangle.  I will definitely be ordering more.  I don't have an SACD player and have the Pastmasters but I would still like to have the SACDs.  Scott was very helpful and true to his word.  Also cheaper than anywhere else. Grin
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 29 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx