gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 06:24:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 14 Beach Boys albums coming to vinyl/SACD  (Read 213357 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 07, 2015, 09:00:36 AM »

So what are we comparing these new Acoustic Analog albums to? Did I hear the original monos?  Wouldn't be best to compare them against already-released mono CD's or even re-issued mono vinyl?

I was thinking the original Capitol monos.  My thought is that Analogue Productions is asking fans to shell out $29.99 per album for a limited-run audiophile product that is purported to be improved over those original Capitol rainbow pressings in terms of fidelity and consistency.  It's well known among audiophiles that Capitol's '60s pressings were not the state-of-the-art in audio fidelity -- the frequency response is often limited, the vinyl compound was not the most quiet, and so many albums were pressed from the same stampers that copies from the beginning of the pressing run can be better than copies from the end of the run.  Given the limitations of 99% of the consumer audio equipment in the '60s, there wasn't a really a need for Capitol to push the limits of frequency response and dynamic range.  It's also a fact that Warner's mono PET SOUNDS from the CATP two-fer, and the single brown cover reissue, are sonically superior in terms of frequency and dynamics to the original Capitol rainbow mono, because Warner had better cutting equipment.  Before others spend $30 a pop, I would like to offer my objective opinion on the Analogue Productions reissues.  Based on Kevin Gray's prior remastering work I have high expectations.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as vinyl is concerned, the Capitol rainbows are the only MONO vinyl editions that I can compare them to, correct?  All of the later reissues have been in stereo.  Oh yeah, In think there was a mid-'70s Capitol mono reissue of SURFIN' SAFARI (the one with a blank back cover), but any reissues of SURFIN' USA through SHUT DOWN, VOL 2 would have been in stereo.

Lee
Also, according to Steve Hoffman, these AP albums are missing the original masters what were cut from the reels for the singles. Apparently copies were re-spliced back on these and are inferior to the masters. Some at the Hoffman forum claim to hear these sonic differences. Apparently, Capitol or AP did not do their homework when assembling the albums for production. With all of the work that Alan Boyd has done, it makes me wonder how something like this could occur?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 07, 2015, 09:24:36 AM »

Also, according to Steve Hoffman, these AP albums are missing the original masters what were cut from the reels for the singles. Apparently copies were re-spliced back on these and are inferior to the masters. Some at the Hoffman forum claim to hear these sonic differences. Apparently, Capitol or AP did not do their homework when assembling the albums for production. With all of the work that Alan Boyd has done, it makes me wonder how something like this could occur?

True dat.  But as I mentioned on the Hoffman board, if the most egregious transgression that AP made was to use a "first generation" album master where the tracks released as singles had been moved to Capitol's chronological "phono reels" (where all of the master tapes for singles for a particular timeframe are spliced end-to-end on one large reel), and those tracks were replaced in the album master with a first order copy, I can probably give them a pass.  I haven't been able to confirm whether AP had access to the phono reels in addition to the album masters.  But that also assumes that a fresh mix/master wasn't made for single release; in that scenario the first generation "album" master would still be on the album reel.

Lee
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 09:25:33 AM by LeeDempsey » Logged
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 07, 2015, 09:28:30 AM »

So what are we comparing these new Acoustic Analog albums to? Did I hear the original monos?  Wouldn't be best to compare them against already-released mono CD's or even re-issued mono vinyl?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as vinyl is concerned, the Capitol rainbows are the only MONO vinyl editions that I can compare them to, correct?  All of the later reissues have been in stereo.  Oh yeah, In think there was a mid-'70s Capitol mono reissue of SURFIN' SAFARI (the one with a blank back cover), but any reissues of SURFIN' USA through SHUT DOWN, VOL 2 would have been in stereo.

Lee

I assume this is correct. I think there's one additional recent mono vinyl reissue of "Surfin' Safari"--This weird thing: http://www.amazon.com/Mono-Stereo-Gatefold-180g-Vinyl/dp/B00ANDVNXC/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1420651629&sr=1-2&keywords=surfin%27+safari+mono+vinyl

Once we get to "Today," there will be many mono reissues to compare these to!
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 07, 2015, 01:40:07 PM »

There was also the 80s Capitol Green Label (minus 2 tracks) and UK GO version (with all 10 tracks) .  These sound good.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 07, 2015, 01:45:47 PM »

I agree Alan.  I was the one who derailed this thread with the "Lee vs lee" thing.  I will post my thoughts on the Analogue Productions reissues when I get back to town on Friday.

Lee

Hey, no sweat - I'd love to hear and hear more about Will Brison having missed out on that good stuff.  Perhaps Will could slip in a bonus track on the "And Your Dreams Come True" copyright renewal release next Christmas.

So what are we comparing these new Acoustic Analog albums to? Did I hear the original monos?  Wouldn't be best to compare them against already-released mono CD's or even re-issued mono vinyl?

I was thinking the original Capitol monos.  My thought is that Analogue Productions is asking fans to shell out $29.99 per album for a limited-run audiophile product that is purported to be improved over those original Capitol rainbow pressings in terms of fidelity and consistency.  It's well known among audiophiles that Capitol's '60s pressings were not the state-of-the-art in audio fidelity -- the frequency response is often limited, the vinyl compound was not the most quiet, and so many albums were pressed from the same stampers that copies from the beginning of the pressing run can be better than copies from the end of the run.  Given the limitations of 99% of the consumer audio equipment in the '60s, there wasn't a really a need for Capitol to push the limits of frequency response and dynamic range.  It's also a fact that Warner's mono PET SOUNDS from the CATP two-fer, and the single brown cover reissue, are sonically superior in terms of frequency and dynamics to the original Capitol rainbow mono, because Warner had better cutting equipment.  Before others spend $30 a pop, I would like to offer my objective opinion on the Analogue Productions reissues.  Based on Kevin Gray's prior remastering work I have high expectations.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as vinyl is concerned, the Capitol rainbows are the only MONO vinyl editions that I can compare them to, correct?  All of the later reissues have been in stereo.  Oh yeah, In think there was a mid-'70s Capitol mono reissue of SURFIN' SAFARI (the one with a blank back cover), but any reissues of SURFIN' USA through SHUT DOWN, VOL 2 would have been in stereo.

Lee

I also have high expectations of these reissues - as Lee noted, Kevin Gray's track record is pretty good to hot.  And while A/P seem to have some slightly ramshackle business approaches (including the mystery of what masters have been used), the guy running the show seems to have 1 key agenda - getting great sounding music out the door, and I doubt he'll intentionally slip on that promise.

As far as the A/B thing goes, obviously the "control" sample thing will need to be the US mono's.  However, it's probably interesting to compare with what people consider the best, depending on what one has up their sleeve - eg, When Summer Days comes out (and if I buy it), I'll compare it to a vintage British pressing I have that sounds like the cat's meow.

Re Surfin' Safari, I have a twofer vinyl pressing on the Capitol purple label, from '78 as well, I think - Surfin' Safari is labelled mono vs Surfin' USA which is in stereo; whether it's a fold-down, I know not.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 02:26:58 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: January 07, 2015, 02:31:53 PM »

Lee

Did any of you guys catch the vimeo vid of Kevin Gray mastering Surfer Girl - it's been passworded since I watched it, but I'm certain when the camera focuses in on the Surfer Girl tape box, next to the Surfer Girl track the notation says something like replaced 1967, or similar.  That could be bullshit ie, me not watching properly, but it (conveniently for me) fits with the single reels notion.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 07, 2015, 03:34:03 PM »

Did any of you guys catch the vimeo vid of Kevin Gray mastering Surfer Girl - it's been passworded since I watched it, but I'm certain when the camera focuses in on the Surfer Girl tape box, next to the Surfer Girl track the notation says something like replaced 1967, or similar.  That could be bullshit ie, me not watching properly, but it (conveniently for me) fits with the single reels notion.

Good catch Alan -- I watched the video, but I didn't catch that notation on the tape box.

Interestingly, I just found this thread elsewhere on the board:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,5727.msg92232.html#msg92232
with this post by Alan Boyd:

The singles masters held by EMI are generally stored on compiled reels called "phono reels."  In many cases, when a single was later included on an album, that master would have been pulled from the phono reel to the master album reel, and replaced by a "dub" copy (and this is usually indicated on the documentation found with the phono reel).   The original mix tapes are flat, unmastered, and often will have a long fade.  The phono reel logs generally have fairly precise mastering and EQ notes indicating how the sound, the speed, the fade, etc was to be adjusted during mastering.  The album reels will also have their own mastering notes and instructions, but they're often quite different because they were handled by different technicians.

That post would imply just the opposite of what I described earlier -- that for singles released BEFORE their respective album, the phono reel should include the dub, and the album reel should include the master.  Interesting...

Lee
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 07, 2015, 03:42:01 PM »

Good catch Alan -- I watched the video, but I didn't catch that notation on the tape box.

The singles masters held by EMI are generally stored on compiled reels called "phono reels."  In many cases, when a single was later included on an album, that master would have been pulled from the phono reel to the master album reel, and replaced by a "dub" copy (and this is usually indicated on the documentation found with the phono reel).   The original mix tapes are flat, unmastered, and often will have a long fade.  The phono reel logs generally have fairly precise mastering and EQ notes indicating how the sound, the speed, the fade, etc was to be adjusted during mastering.  The album reels will also have their own mastering notes and instructions, but they're often quite different because they were handled by different technicians.

That post would imply just the opposite of what I described earlier -- that for singles released BEFORE their respective album, the phono reel should include the dub, and the album reel should include the master.  Interesting...

Lee
Funny, Steve Hoffman explained it just the opposite of the Alan Boyd quote. I can't verify exactly what Hoffman said, as that forum took down that whole thread a few weeks ago.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 07, 2015, 03:47:13 PM »

Lee
Funny, Steve Hoffman explained it just the opposite of the Alan Boyd quote. I can't verify exactly what Hoffman said, as that forum took down that whole thread a few weeks ago.

Probably because Hoffman f***ed it up; rather than admit the mistake, he took it down

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 07, 2015, 04:21:49 PM »

I'd been wondering where that thread went to over at the Hoffman board!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 07, 2015, 05:23:19 PM »

Lee

You're looking in the wrong place...   
But you are correct!  For Surfer Girl it has :  Master #'s 50028 above 50357( both lined out) then  45 settings inside     followed by     Surfer Girl    ( replaced 5-4-67)
the video should be available to be seen here( it was cutting out sometmes while I watched it) :  http://vimeopro.com/brandxmedia/custom/video/112513801

lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 07, 2015, 08:07:18 PM »

I agree Alan.  I was the one who derailed this thread with the "Lee vs lee" thing.  I will post my thoughts on the Analogue Productions reissues when I get back to town on Friday.

Lee

I'm very much looking forward to your thoughts on these. To be honest, I'm surprised at the lack of reviews on these. Is anyone planning on getting any of the stereo reissues next week?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 07, 2015, 08:35:51 PM »

I agree Alan.  I was the one who derailed this thread with the "Lee vs lee" thing.  I will post my thoughts on the Analogue Productions reissues when I get back to town on Friday.

Lee

I'm very much looking forward to your thoughts on these. To be honest, I'm surprised at the lack of reviews on these. Is anyone planning on getting any of the stereo reissues next week?

Gee, is your name really Lee ? Or you just trying to bask in Dempsey's glory?

sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 08, 2015, 01:14:53 AM »

Yes, that was my thread.  I was quite annoyed that they deleted it. The only thing I can figure is that something in there was deemed inappropriate...  like most of what Steve was saying.  He was damn near calling out his peers in that thread.  I don't get how he can be that insecure.  His work is great, the DCC Beach Boys titles are among the best Beach Boys discs I have, sound wise.

That forum in general can be sycophant city a lot of the time.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 08, 2015, 06:50:51 AM »

Lee

Gee, is your name really Lee ? Or you just trying to bask in Dempsey's glory?
My name is really Lee. My last name is Griffin though, not Dempsey.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 08, 2015, 07:20:00 AM »

Yes, that was my thread.  I was quite annoyed that they deleted it. The only thing I can figure is that something in there was deemed inappropriate...  like most of what Steve was saying.  He was damn near calling out his peers in that thread.  I don't get how he can be that insecure.  His work is great, the DCC Beach Boys titles are among the best Beach Boys discs I have, sound wise.

That forum in general can be sycophant city a lot of the time.
Well, I'll bet that Steve's remarks probably kept a few audiophiles from purchasing the albums. That would be a shame, especially if he is/was incorrect about the phono reel stuff. He already has a few buyers hearing phantom inferior dubs where there aren't any.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 07:21:24 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 08, 2015, 04:34:20 PM »

I also wondered where that thread had gone!  I was getting frustrated at all the reviews I couldn't access anymore about the releases.  I've also often wondered who posts here and there.  I have seen Lee Dempsey, Alan Smith and a few other familiar names on there.  As well as a few others who seem to like the Beach Boys as much as us over here.  I wonder if they stop by here under different names.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #342 on: January 09, 2015, 11:16:04 AM »

Was trying to find a site in Europe selling some of these release and came across this - http://snvinyl.co.uk/epages/eshop943300.sf/en_GB/?ObjectID=21132032&ViewAction=FacetedSearchProducts&SearchString=beach+boys

Anyone familiar with the site? might be only UK delivery

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 09, 2015, 01:01:21 PM »

Was trying to find a site in Europe selling some of these release and came across this - http://snvinyl.co.uk/epages/eshop943300.sf/en_GB/?ObjectID=21132032&ViewAction=FacetedSearchProducts&SearchString=beach+boys

Anyone familiar with the site? might be only UK delivery

Seconded - info appreciated.

I've chanced my arm and preordered Holland there but delivery's not due for a long while. The payment system - pre-payment system - was somewhat alien to me but I was happy enight to take the punt. Any reassurance gratefully accepted!

“We live in divisive times.”
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 09, 2015, 01:04:07 PM »

I also wondered where that thread had gone!  I was getting frustrated at all the reviews I couldn't access anymore about the releases.  I've also often wondered who posts here and there.  I have seen Lee Dempsey, Alan Smith and a few other familiar names on there.  As well as a few others who seem to like the Beach Boys as much as us over here.  I wonder if they stop by here under different names.
Hoffman specifically recommended (highly) the Surfin' USA album.  But all the reviews were pulled.

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: January 09, 2015, 01:12:47 PM »

Hoffman specifically recommended (highly) the Surfin' USA album.  But all the reviews were pulled.

He only recommended that based on the original, saying how it's a quality album.  He wasn't talking specifically about the sound quality of the new releases as he hasn't heard any of them yet.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 09, 2015, 01:40:12 PM »

I also wondered where that thread had gone!  I was getting frustrated at all the reviews I couldn't access anymore about the releases.  I've also often wondered who posts here and there.  I have seen Lee Dempsey, Alan Smith and a few other familiar names on there.  As well as a few others who seem to like the Beach Boys as much as us over here.  I wonder if they stop by here under different names.
Hoffman specifically recommended (highly) the Surfin' USA album.  But all the reviews were pulled.

He only recommended that based on the original, saying how it's a quality album.  He wasn't talking specifically about the sound quality of the new releases as he hasn't heard any of them yet.
You are correct about that. He was talking original issue. I remember one guy who bought Surfin' USA say that the title song and Shut Down sounded like lower quality on the new release. This coming just days after Hoffman warned everyone about the hits being replaced with dubs.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 09, 2015, 06:08:47 PM »

I also wondered where that thread had gone!  I was getting frustrated at all the reviews I couldn't access anymore about the releases.  I've also often wondered who posts here and there.  I have seen Lee Dempsey, Alan Smith and a few other familiar names on there.  As well as a few others who seem to like the Beach Boys as much as us over here.  I wonder if they stop by here under different names.
Hoffman specifically recommended (highly) the Surfin' USA album.  But all the reviews were pulled.

There is a review on acoustic sounds website saying the same thing.
By the way, I post over on the Hoffman board under the username: leegriffin.

He only recommended that based on the original, saying how it's a quality album.  He wasn't talking specifically about the sound quality of the new releases as he hasn't heard any of them yet.
You are correct about that. He was talking original issue. I remember one guy who bought Surfin' USA say that the title song and Shut Down sounded like lower quality on the new release. This coming just days after Hoffman warned everyone about the hits being replaced with dubs.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 09, 2015, 07:17:34 PM »

There is a review on acoustic sounds website saying the same thing.
By the way, I post over on the Hoffman board under the username: leegriffin.

Had to read a couple times to see your post in the middle
  Did you get your message in the wrong place mistakenly?  ( I've done that a couple of times, not seeing the whole message, but usually catch it beofore posting)  or is this a site FU?

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #349 on: January 12, 2015, 12:08:05 AM »

OK, I've rechecked. Last time they estimated 6 weeks from shipping to arrival. This time they calculated only 2 weeks. Last time it arrived way earlier, like a week or two, so it took 4 or 5 weeks - they obviously don't know what they're talking about. So my Christmas album will probably arrive... early next year. Roll Eyes

And so it did, last Thursday. Even though I still haven't taken down my christmas tree, I haven't been in the mood to play the LP since I received it. It couldn't be anywhere near the enjoyment it would have been could I have played it first at christmas time. Angry

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 29 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx