gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:23:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 14 Beach Boys albums coming to vinyl/SACD  (Read 211307 times)
micromoog
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: October 13, 2014, 12:15:13 PM »

I think it's the same mix, but it does sound a bit rough presentation wise - maybe an indication of tape wear, and maybe an indication these pressings are from analogue sources rather than wrongly assumed by me digital sources.

The wrong mix thing was a half-joke.  It's largely the same, but is absolutely missing the percussion punch, especially noticeable on the opening triplets or during Al's pre-chorus.  I was already running a bass-heavy EQ to fix the synth noise (I love the farts), but it didn't help here. 

Good Time has a similar enough sonic profile (lots of separation between the parts, very punchy drums) and it sounds just fine.

I still really like these reissues. I listen to records pretty loud and can hear more of the subtle parts than on original pressings, but this song kind of went the other way and just became a wall of mud (which just made me realize that the difference is similar to the Smiley Smile vs. Smile versions of H&V.)
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 13, 2014, 02:36:33 PM »

When I was "A/B"-ing the pressings using Honkin', which I hate doin' 'cos the mind can play tricks, I noticed the original sort of surges in after the drum intro - doesn't seem to do that as noticeably on this one; wonder if something was manually tweaked back in the day?

Also, the new mastering (on this track)  tends to favour the vox , which is a similar approach to the Hoff remasters of other stuff - imo, btw.

But, yeah!, agree these are great - but frustratingly have not yet had time to give 20/20  a full spin yet - I'm going to compare it with the Starline pressing I have.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 13, 2014, 02:57:22 PM »

Thanks again Alan… keep it coming!

“We live in divisive times.”
micromoog
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 13, 2014, 03:18:20 PM »

But, yeah!, agree these are great - but frustratingly have not yet had time to give 20/20  a full spin yet - I'm going to compare it with the Starline pressing I have.

For the most part, 20/20 sounds phenomenal.  The heavy wax really does Desper's work justice - with no neighboring groove bleed, you can really hear how much effort was put into keeping things clean.  Cotton Fields is a great one to A/B.

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 13, 2014, 03:20:16 PM »

Smiley Pleasure! Targetting saturday, but if anyone else has opinions (less dubious than my dodgey ones), get 'em in!

Edit - like micromoog above
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 03:21:41 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 26, 2014, 07:03:24 PM »

20/20 - star line pressing compared and contrasted to 2014 reissue

Well - great fun digging the star line out to size it up against the newbie, not having spun it for a while - tellingly, when I got to the end of "Our Prayer", my brain had, in anticipation, cued up Gee, a result of the ongoing Smile Sessions lathering of the last 2 or so years, and indicative of where my BB attentions have been.

The gold star goes to the re-issue - hands down on all but 1 track as noted below.

Visual
Faithful reproductions of the original, with obvious updates to reflect UME ownership/copyright etc etc.

Here is the year of issue gaff noted earlier in this thread: 

A quick compare of inner sleeves - the left is the star line pressing, the right the 2014.

The innner sleeve of the 2014 also has the lower half of the eye chart printed in full down the inner side of where the lp snuggles down at night, as a continuation of the top half with Brian.  Kinda cool!

Here's a shot of how thick the 2014 vinyl is - almost like 2 albums glued together; I have girlie hands, and with that knowledge you may get a sense of the quality of the vinyl used.

Audio A/B to star line
What can I say about the 2014 but great stuff with nearly all tracks presented cleanly and doing justice to the songs included.  The stereo presentation has been widened a little, I think - however you do that.  Creamy fat bass tones, clear mids and highs with good sustain on the cymbals (All I Wanna Do showcases these elements beautifully, with the fuzzy blending through the mix like hot fudge on a sundae).

Be With Me sounds massive, and there's a lot more clarity on Cotton Fields, with the track elements a bit more up; a tantilizing hint at what might have been with a more energetic approach to the production.

The special effects in I Went to Sleep (the shimmer of the "spinkler" instrument, the snoring in the break) get the focus they deserve, much like the punchy harpischord attacks on the TTGA verses.

As we know, most of the glory of the album tracks are outshone in spades, by those 2 show stealers from Smile which sound as heavenly as expected.

The only track that's marginally better on the Starline edition is I Can Hear Music, which on said edition has a slightly wider stereo mix (not that this item is that far from being mono bar some of the vocal doubles).  On the new edition it sounds a bit narrower and tends toward the mid tones - perhaps to do with the quality of the tape available, or maybe the single master.

All in all, a pretty good item, and I'll be happily playing this over my various other versions any day.  And for $20-25 bucks a bit of a bargain - I contacted the guy who did the remastering and his response indicated he sourced the original analogue tapes and mastered using an all analogue chain (no digital sh*t) - that's fcukin' cool. 

I'm baffled that UME didn't have that info plastered all over the covers and sell truckloads of these to the broader analogue vinyl purist types - but, I suppose it's money for jam flogging the Beatles mono vinyl to all and sundry (the Beatles mono vinyl are pretty frickin' good having said that); a little sad that again our boys have once again been overshadowed by the Fab Four.

Anyway - buy this; be happy - A

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 26, 2014, 11:26:52 PM »

20/20 - star line pressing compared and contrasted to 2014 reissue

I contacted the guy who did the remastering and his response indicated he sourced the original analogue tapes and mastered using an all analogue chain (no digital sh*t) - that's fcukin' cool.  

Who did the remastering?  Am I correct in assuming he did the remastering for all of the recent BB LP releases and used original analog tapes rather than recent CD digital masters for all of them?  When you use the word "indicated" in "his response indicated he sourced the original analogue tapes and mastered using an all analogue chain," I get the impression you are fairly certain he used the original analog tapes but are not positive.  Is that a fair assumption?  Can you tell us exactly what he said in that regard?

« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 12:01:17 AM by Custom Machine » Logged
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 27, 2014, 01:06:58 AM »

I contacted the guy who did the remastering and his response indicated he sourced the original analogue tapes and mastered using an all analogue chain (no digital sh*t) - that's fcukin' cool.  

Who did the remastering?  Am I correct in assuming he did the remastering for all of the recent BB LP releases and used original analog tapes rather than recent CD digital masters for all of them?  When you use the word "indicated" in "his response indicated he sourced the original analogue tapes and mastered using an all analogue chain," I get the impression you are fairly certain he used the original analog tapes but are not positive.  Is that a fair assumption?  Can you tell us exactly what he said in that regard?

As noted here (towards the end) - http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,16766.msg478186.html#msg478186 - the mastering was by one Ron McMaster (I nicked that from Hoff Board) and I sent an email enquiring the audio source.

The specific response is in a private email, so I won't word for word it here - but trust me, it's a solid yes to all of your other questions. 

And I'm mentioning this to let y'all know these reissues have been approached with care and attention, are not cheap to market CD clones, and worth the money if you're chasing clean, faithful reproductions.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 27, 2014, 09:08:49 AM »

As noted here (towards the end) - http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,16766.msg478186.html#msg478186 - the mastering was by one Ron McMaster (I nicked that from Hoff Board) and I sent an email enquiring the audio source.

The specific response is in a private email, so I won't word for word it here - but trust me, it's a solid yes to all of your other questions. 

And I'm mentioning this to let y'all know these reissues have been approached with care and attention, are not cheap to market CD clones, and worth the money if you're chasing clean, faithful reproductions.

Thanks, Alan!  I purchased all the new LPs, and have listened to each once.  They sound great, but I haven't yet had an opportunity to compare them to the original LPs, later LP reissues, or various CD reissues.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 27, 2014, 11:23:35 AM »

Who did the remastering?  Am I correct in assuming he did the remastering for all of the recent BB LP releases and used original analog tapes rather than recent CD digital masters for all of them?  When you use the word "indicated" in "his response indicated he sourced the original analogue tapes and mastered using an all analogue chain," I get the impression you are fairly certain he used the original analog tapes but are not positive.  Is that a fair assumption?  Can you tell us exactly what he said in that regard?

Thanks, Alan!  I purchased all the new LPs, and have listened to each once.  They sound great, but I haven't yet had an opportunity to compare them to the original LPs, later LP reissues, or various CD reissues.

Same here… last one just arrived today, all the way from Oz – and they only gone and sent the wrong on -  BBs Concert instead of In Concert.  Long walk back to the shop…

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 27, 2014, 02:38:40 PM »

Thanks, Alan!  I purchased all the new LPs, and have listened to each once.  They sound great, but I haven't yet had an opportunity to compare them to the original LPs, later LP reissues, or various CD reissues.

Yeah, it's a big job given the myriad versions.  Personally I find A/Bing a path to madness but I must say I'm a tad less impressed with/inclined to play the twofer CDs after listening to these - hopefully these pressings will stay in print for a while.

From what I understand (Hoff board again) the Kevin Gray jobbies (the OT) are looking a long way off.

But have a good time playing 'em and let us know if you find anything unexpected!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 12:37:59 AM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 27, 2014, 04:01:37 PM »

Do any UK buyers know if they had to pay import charges for the In Concert Lp.  I didn't have to with the others but just wondered about this because In Concert is obviously higher valued and may be above the tax threshold.

I haven't been able to bring myself to open these and play them yet!  They look so good sealed.  If I had more spare cash I'd have picked up two of each!

Great review Alan. Grin
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 28, 2014, 12:46:47 AM »

I haven't been able to bring myself to open these and play them yet!  They look so good sealed.  If I had more spare cash I'd have picked up two of each!

Great review Alan. Grin

Cheers, Mike - I shelled for 2 copies of Friends, 'cos it's me fave, but I was a bit wary about how this lot'd turn out (and if the Acoustic Sounds stuff would hit the streets at the same time) so played it cool with 1 copy per the others.  But given the results, I might ask Santa to bring me a few more (I've been a good boy this year).
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 01:33:00 AM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 28, 2014, 06:40:24 PM »

Alan, thanks to your advice a while back I managed to get a record player earlier this year for my birthday!  I went for the Project Debut Carbon which I'm pleased with. It was between that and the Rega.

I might also see if Santa can bring me a couple more copies of these! Grin. Can never have enough of them!

Cheers again.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: November 06, 2014, 01:24:37 AM »

To me their only albums that should remain in regular circulation would be: surfer girl, shut down vol2, all summer long, today, summer days, pet sounds, smiley, wild honey, sunflower, holland and love you....  lil deuce coupe, friends, 20/20, surfs up, and anything post love you being secondary... those dozen albums are integral like the beatles meet, rubber soul, revolver,, the stones aftermath and the ramones rocket to russia, end of the century and pleasant dreams...the BB being THE only rock band with two dozen albums where at least half are essential for any and every collection....on a side note Id love to get my hands on a vinyl LP of summer in paradise..ha
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 25, 2014, 04:32:31 PM »

I decided to just email Acoustic Sounds yesterday and they replied today:

"Yes, they will be coming out be we don't have a tentative date at this time".

Still a glimmer of hope...  at this point these are kind of a holy grail given the involvement of Kevin Grey and the care given to other Analogue Productions releases.

Rock!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 08:15:59 AM by Sea Of Tunes » Logged

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 27, 2014, 10:35:29 AM »

Still a glimmer of hope...  at this point these are kind of a holy grail given the involvement of Kevin Grey and the care given to other Analogue Productions releases.

Rock!

So it's time to buy something capable of playing SACDs?$?$?£?£?

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 27, 2014, 01:49:06 PM »

Still a glimmer of hope...  at this point these are kind of a holy grail given the involvement of Kevin Grey and the care given to other Analogue Productions releases.

Rock!

So it's time to buy something capable of playing SACDs?$?$?£?£?
Pioneer Blu ray players around $150 AU (£80 & 6?)
Sony Blu ray for similar (Sony own the format)

A Playstation (Sony again)

Oppo have a variety of under a grand universal media players.

After that you may be pushing above a ton and into the stratosphere

Don't forget, these are hybrids, so will have a CD compatible layer that you can listen to until you get your SACD sh*t together.

I have the Pioneer and run it into a Cambridge Audio DAC to compensate for the lower qual DACs (Digital to Analogue Converter) in the base unit. Trips my alarm.

However, The sonic gold may be in the mastering by Kevin Gray and should shine through in either CD or SACD. Hopefully.

I'll go the vinyl over the SACD, but either way time to get that belated swear jar happening.

Pure speculation, but there might be a chance the tracks are released as High Def downloads - I'm just fuckin' guessing (hey, 2 bucks in jar!)

Great news tho
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 01:53:17 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 27, 2014, 03:22:04 PM »

Alan did you get the new mono vinyl "Christmas Album"? I have it but like the others I purchased I can't quite bring myself to open them yet! Cheesy
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 27, 2014, 04:33:54 PM »

Thanks Alan!

I have a Blu-ray player - Panasonic - but limited to playback through the TV at the mo'.

Had forgotten the hybrid element tho'…

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 27, 2014, 11:04:56 PM »

Alan did you get the new mono vinyl "Christmas Album"? I have it but like the others I purchased I can't quite bring myself to open them yet! Cheesy
Hey Mike - no I haven't yet; I'm trying to be a good little lad and think of buying for others leading into xmas; and my ESQ sub is due after next edition.

Funny you ask as, I had it in my hot little lad hands today ($38 AU) but opted for a 1983 pressing of Who's Next instead.

And a MoFi of Trompe Le Monde by Pixies.

And then, later, the RSD vinyl edition of Muswell Hillbillies by The Kinks.

Doh!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 28, 2014, 05:41:25 AM »

Hey Mike - no I haven't yet; I'm trying to be a good little lad and think of buying for others leading into xmas; and my ESQ sub is due after next edition.

Funny you ask as, I had it in my hot little lad hands today ($38 AU) but opted for a 1983 pressing of Who's Next instead.

Doh!

There's an RSD of Muswell Hillbillies!?!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 28, 2014, 10:01:37 AM »

Good picks Alan.  I love the Kinks too. Managed to see them live in 1993 or 1994 in Glasgow.  Great gig! Grin
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 28, 2014, 03:50:52 PM »

Doh!

There's an RSD of Muswell Hillbillies!?!

Yeah, Freddy! - 180g vinyl with a bonus LP "demos, alternates, 1972 BBC Peel Sessions and more".

Here's the bonus line-up:
Side 3 - Lavendar Lane, Mountain Woman, Have A Cuppa Tea (alternate version), Uncle Son (alt vers), Kentucky Moon, Nobody's Fool (demo)

Side 4 - Acute Schizophrenia Paranoia Blues (BBC Peel Sesh), Holiday (Peel Sesh), Skin and Bone (Peel Sesh), 20th Century Man (Peel), Queenie (backing track), Muswell Hillbillies Radio Spot

Record Shop guy told me the Kinks back catalogue is being rereleased on vinyl in the next few months - haven't had a further chat but assuming the RCA catalogue.

Anyway, not a bad pick-up, as good nick 2nd hand copies of Kinks LPs are not easy to come by (bar the boringly ubiquitous ebay of course).
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 03:53:39 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 28, 2014, 04:10:05 PM »

The RSD Muswell Hillbillies is just a vinyl version of the deluxe 2 CD they put out a few months ago.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 29 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx