gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:11:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 14 Beach Boys albums coming to vinyl/SACD  (Read 211273 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 07, 2014, 05:00:08 PM »

FYI,

The six Capitol releases are now pre-listed as imports at Amazon UK, with a release date of Sept 16; also at Amazon.com  - prices $22.98 for the 1LP, or $35.98 for the 2LP In Concert:

Love You [VINYL] by Beach Boys (2014) - Import
Currently unavailable

20/20 [VINYL] by Beach Boys (2014) - Import
Currently unavailable

Live in London [VINYL] by Beach Boys (2014) - Import
Currently unavailable

Friends [VINYL] by Beach Boys (2014) - Import
Currently unavailable

Beach Boys in Concert [VINYL] by Beach Boys (2014) - Import
Currently unavailable

Beach Boys Concert [VINYL] by Beach Boys (2014) - Import
Currently unavailable
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 05:02:03 PM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 08, 2014, 12:31:43 AM »

The six new Capitol BB vinyl albums are also up on the Music Direct site  http://www.musicdirect.com/search.aspx?searchterm=beach%20boys

PhilCohen
« Reply #102 on: August 08, 2014, 02:12:46 AM »

And, by the way, these five vinyl releases now being listed for preorder are NOT the (cancelled?) Analogue Productions releases. These are Capitol releases, not audiophile releases.

Appreciate that clarification.

And share your sentiment… I have these on original vinyl (assuming there's nothing specifically "new" about these…) and wouldd rather blow my money this year on Brian's new LP, or tracking down an affordable version of POB 3LP.

Are you really sure that you WANT Brian to release his new album, given the reports of duets with trendy 2014 pop stars? Maybe it should stay in the vaults.

Zooey, Lana, and Frank are very talented artists and I'm just happy Brian is releasing a new album at all. Many fans would be bummed out if Brian or Capitol canned the album.

But, if such an album were to be released in September, there would have been an announcement already. I would have been more excited about a new Brian Wilson album if it had Brian(or other actual Beach Boys such as Al Jardine) doing the lead vocals on all songs. If the new album is being marketed to younger listeners, then I hope that it  is commercially successful with its intended audience.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: August 08, 2014, 05:46:28 AM »

Hope "Holland" is still gonna happen.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: August 08, 2014, 08:48:54 AM »

Zzzzzzz. I'm as big of an "old school" and vinyl booster as you can find, but the only scenario where I feel even remotely enthusiastic about by more copies of the same BB albums with no bonus tracks is SACD/CD remasters from someone like Kevin Gray or Steve Hoffman. Even in that scenario, my enthusiasm wanes.

Brian's the only dude seemingly willing and able to put out new albums. So we're left still with the prospect of more unreleased material. Just get that "Beach Boys Central" up and running! Even just live stuff would be wonderful.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 08, 2014, 01:52:46 PM »

And the www.beachboyscentral.com domain name has once again expired.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 01, 2014, 11:13:38 PM »

OK, a small hint that this stuff may be coming soon(ish).

From the last paragraph of an article by the esteemed Michael Fremer, on analog planet - http://www.analogplanet.com/content/eric-leefe-deserves-chair :

I played him The Beach Boys' "In My Room" from the upcoming Analogue Productions reissue of Surfer Girl and you can be sure Eric related to Brian's lyrics. He lives in that room. The least he could have there is a decent stereo, but for sure he'll get more chances to listen here.

Perhaps Analogue Productions are keeping their acoustic heads down until the upcoming Beatles mono vinyl melee is completed.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 15, 2014, 02:15:49 AM »

These are out today!  Has anybody bought any or ordered them yet?  The price on Amazon UK seems a bit steep (Ł30).  But I would love to have these.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 15, 2014, 03:31:49 AM »

So many of the best titles are being mastered by Kevin Gray for All Analogue productions at some point apparently. Great news.

But this handful for some reason are not being included in the above and are being released by Capitol - Potentially digitally sourced (my assumption, may be wrong)

And Wild Honey is not showing up on any pre-release schedules.

Anybody else finding this frustrating? Why divvy the catalogue up in this way? I'm very grateful that the Analogue Productions thing is potentially still in the pipeline but it just seems so untidy, and arbitrary that classics such as Friends are released as part of a different programme with potentially inferior masterings and Wild Honey is nowhere to be seen. Of course I haven't listened to any of these yet so any talk of sound quality is obviously conjecture but you'd imagine the sq will inevitably differ between the sets of releases.

I can't help but compare this hodge-podge approach to the Beatles Mono vinyl boxed set. Rave reviews about the sound quality and packaging. All the mono albums together and seemingly selling like hotcakes. I'm not suggesting the Beach Boys put out a vinyl box but just that they release all the best (up to Holland at least) albums on vinyl in one place, in one go. Surely they deserve that much?

« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 03:55:51 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Lemon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 15, 2014, 09:56:11 AM »

Coming October 27
The Beach Boys' Christmas Album LP (Mono)
http://www.elusivedisc.com/The-Beach-Boys-The-Beach-Boys-Christmas-Album-LP-Mono/productinfo/CAPLP70118/
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 15, 2014, 05:40:31 PM »

These are out today!  Has anybody bought any or ordered them yet?  The price on Amazon UK seems a bit steep (Ł30).  But I would love to have these.

Amazon marketplace sellers at pitching some at around half the Amazon UK prices…

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: September 15, 2014, 09:30:25 PM »

Glorious mono! I hope it's Brian's vintage mixes and not a fold-down.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 16, 2014, 01:19:09 AM »

Amazon marketplace sellers at pitching some at around half the Amazon UK prices…
I've bought a couple items from Amazon US for $22.48 Australian dollars which is 12pound'n 50p of your Quid money

20/20 was $19.99; just over a tenner

And f-all for shipping; probably the equiv of 4 poun'd

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 16, 2014, 10:03:46 AM »

Cheers guys!  I've just ordered a couple for now. Grin
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 16, 2014, 03:50:19 PM »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Friends-VINYL-Beach-Boys/dp/B00MHS5BKW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_m_h__5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1SFVZC6YAPZ43FZP36PA

So presumably this is the new vinyl release of Friends. Anybody have this yet and able to comment on the sound quality?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 16, 2014, 05:56:55 PM »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Friends-VINYL-Beach-Boys/dp/B00MHS5BKW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_m_h__5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1SFVZC6YAPZ43FZP36PA

So presumably this is the new vinyl release of Friends. Anybody have this yet and able to comment on the sound quality?

I just logged in hoping to fine some comments on the sound quality of the LP reissues, but so far there are no posts, so I'll just add that I received a phone call from a friend a few minutes ago who bought the Friends LP and said he was highly impressed with the sound quality, as well as the clarity and sharpness of the front and back covers.  Unlike the 1981 (green label) and 1994 (rainbow label) Capitol LP reissues, this 2014 reissue restores the original black border on the front of the album cover.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 12:29:48 AM by Custom Machine » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 16, 2014, 06:16:49 PM »

I just logged in hoping to fine some comments on the sound quality of the LP reissues, but so far there are no posts, so I'll just add that I received a phone call from a friend a few minutes ago who bought the Friends LP and said he was highly impressed with the sound quality, as well as the clarity and sharpness of the front and back covers.  Unlike the 1981 (green label) and 1994 (rainbow label) Capitol LP reissues, this 2014 reissue restores the back border on the front cover side, although the slick is pasted on using the more modern method of the front cover wrapping around to the back.

Thanks a ton for posting this! I've been eagerly awaiting a review on the quality of the Friends LP, looks like it won't disappoint!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
NickandthePassions
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 16, 2014, 07:49:01 PM »

Awesome!  When I think of a Beach Boys vinyl, Friends, Sunflower, and 20/20 come to mind.  I already have Surf's Up, Love You, Pet Sounds, and Holland... great listens. 

Weirdly enough, I prefer listening to most Beach Boys music with headphones before I sleep.  Of course, during nights I can't sleep I listen to the synth-y and strange BB music. 

I would still love to have some more of the Boys' work on vinyl.

"Living a dream
Don't wanna sleep
Might miss something"
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 16, 2014, 08:17:35 PM »

Anybody else finding this frustrating? Why divvy the catalogue up in this way? I'm very grateful that the Analogue Productions thing is potentially still in the pipeline but it just seems so untidy, and arbitrary that classics such as Friends are released as part of a different programme with potentially inferior masterings and Wild Honey is nowhere to be seen. Of course I haven't listened to any of these yet so any talk of sound quality is obviously conjecture but you'd imagine the sq will inevitably differ between the sets of releases.

I can't help but compare this hodge-podge approach to the Beatles Mono vinyl boxed set. Rave reviews about the sound quality and packaging. All the mono albums together and seemingly selling like hotcakes. I'm not suggesting the Beach Boys put out a vinyl box but just that they release all the best (up to Holland at least) albums on vinyl in one place, in one go. Surely they deserve that much?

Yes, it is very frustrating.  Especially as we are living in an age of reissues and deluxe boxsets of completeness.

Yet "they" just can't seem to do anything sincere and correct.  The 2012 remasters were far from perfect or ideal -- but they appeared to be (sort of) in step with reality -- Mono/Stereo.  As you said, the Beatles did a great job with their reissues -- what a clear and obvious precedent!

I'm not sure what drugs are being consumed in the Beach Boy tower... but it's time to stop and reflect.  Regroup and cut the poop.

GatherTheForest
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 17, 2014, 08:06:04 AM »

My copies of Friends and Love You came in the mail yesterday, and I'm not much of an audiophile but they both sound a whole lot better than my old CD/mp3 copies. Friends in particular is a revelation, the difference in sound quality is huge. It may take some getting used to, since the lo-fi audio is part of the album's charm for me, but I love it. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 08:12:21 AM by GatherTheForest » Logged
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 17, 2014, 03:20:19 PM »

My copies of Friends and Love You came in the mail yesterday, and I'm not much of an audiophile but they both sound a whole lot better than my old CD/mp3 copies. Friends in particular is a revelation, the difference in sound quality is huge. It may take some getting used to, since the lo-fi audio is part of the album's charm for me, but I love it. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Are there any clues/notes on the sleeves etc as to who did the mastering/prep for these releases?

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: September 18, 2014, 12:42:43 AM »

I'm curious if Love You has the same sort of rough cardboard texture to the jacket as the original release.
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 21, 2014, 10:30:27 PM »

It does. I just found it in a store yesterday and it definitely does. I was hoping they'd have Friends but they didn't. I felt Friends would benefit most from new remastering and Love You less so.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 21, 2014, 11:13:41 PM »

Are these remastered though? Phrase used on Amazon uk is "re-pressed".

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 25, 2014, 06:33:56 AM »

"Are these remastered?" asked John Manning, in 2014.

Well, my copies of Friends arrived - I've cracked one open and played it even, to see if I could come up with answer - and the answer is "Beats me!". 

There's nothing on the packaging that indicates who mastered/remastered etc - if a helpful insider around here knows the answers, do tell.

In the meantime, here's what I can share.

The packaging:

No Capitol Vaults stickers or similar on my copies.

Pretty straight forward stuff, with well presented and colour balanced front and rear cover art - a couple of noticeable changes on the back cover (depending on which pressing you may own) is the ref to Sea of Tunes publishing has been ditched and there's now a UME info block nestled in to the right of the original production notes (and a massive bar code) (click on the thumbnails for a bigger pic):

The label is a Capitol Rainbow repro, updated to indicate 2014 Capitol and UME ownership. 

Stamped in the dead wax to the right of the label is - "Mastered by Capitol" -

Here's the matrix number: B0021127-01-A  G-1 squiggle that might start with an R.  There is also a squiggle resembling an eye (no lashes tho')

The playback (IMO here - I don't have a vintage US pressing to compare):

In terms of sound quality, these stuck me as being a faithful repro of vinyl releases from this era - fat creamy bass, crisp percussion on the top end, clearly defined instrumentation.  If these have been pulled from DIG sources, then someone's made a pretty good fist of it; I got a good sense of the elusive warm analogue sound that's overly hard to easily define but definitely easy to get hard over.

The instrumental imaging delivers and gives us a good idea of what was going on, and who was sitting where and there is good separation with no cluttering of the instrumental stack.  Interestingly, I thought the vocals come across a little lower down and muddier than the '01 CD presentation.

No sonic revelations here: as expected - if you have mint or VG originals that you happily play, you may want to pass. 

However, if you're looking for good sounding vinyl or clean playing copies in order to, err, archive your precious originals these are pretty nifty - glad I picked 'em up; go get some!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 29 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx