gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 06:48:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 14 Beach Boys albums coming to vinyl/SACD  (Read 212673 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2014, 03:26:17 AM »

Steve Hoffman himself over on his board did jokingly intimate Analogue Productions are prone to a bit of lag in their schedules (he said expect within the next ten years).

Hoffman also said to "pray for mono" (ie, original B-Dub mixes).

That would be that same Hoffman who told us Capitol were seriously considering canning the whole Smile Sessions project because - sit down, this is a killer - fans were actually calling the Tower and asking when it was going to be released ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2014, 03:45:40 AM »

Steve Hoffman himself over on his board did jokingly intimate Analogue Productions are prone to a bit of lag in their schedules (he said expect within the next ten years).

That would be that same Hoffman who told us Capitol were seriously considering canning the whole Smile Sessions project because - sit down, this is a killer - fans were actually calling the Tower and asking when it was going to be released ?

LOL I'm pretty sure it's the same guy

Yes, He's a funny old bean, but may have an inkling more than some of us mere mortals as to the intricacies of the niche pressing market.

If memory serves me correctly Analogue did at one stage list these reissues for pre-order, but then removed it with no updates (but I could be full of sh*t, as usual).

At the end of the day, I would fore-go all of these items for a royale-with-cheese vinyl or SACD of Sunflower decoded (ie, "that" matrix version) and anything else with the S/D matrix stamp of quality.

The Blu-Ray Pet Sounds still seems to be floating in the ether also.  I expect it'll bite the dust with these on the way. Shame, as the tracklist indicated that it included the bonus tracks that were on the first Japanese CD pressing way-back.

See what happens, John, I say hang in there: I still expect to see a PS Blu later this year - UME have just spent a ton buying up just about everything (they're putting the Universe in to Universal) so I expect they'll be milking this format for the non-audiophiles home theatre types by releasing every piece of serious music they can get their hands on.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2014, 04:43:51 AM »

Hope Holland comes with the Fairytale 7" and sure why not throw on "We got love" too  Grin

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2014, 05:00:25 AM »

Whoa, "All Summer Long", "Surfin' Safari" and "Surfin' USA" in mono on vinyl! Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Looks like I get to spend some money this summer...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 05:05:54 AM by Micha » Logged

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2014, 05:18:40 AM »

Ha ha! I'd forgotten about that. When he realised his error (i.e. when the official announcement was made), did he not then delete the thread and start a new one making it look like it was his scoop? I'm sure there was a 'win The Smile Sessions' competition to boot. Smooth.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2014, 06:56:34 AM »

Perhaps that was hyperbole, or based on information from other sources, who knows (and who cares at this stage?; the damn thing was released 2 ½ years ago). Wasn’t the whole point of that “Smile” commentary the idea that the label and perhaps the band get unreasonably ruffled and, well, unreasonable, when people start blabbing about stuff before it has been announced or released? You know, because we’ve *never* read on this board that “inside information” is sensitive, right?  Roll Eyes

In any event, as far as I’m concerned, Hoffman’s remastering work on the Beach Boys’ material he’s had a chance to work on is unsurpassed. Kevin Gray has worked with Hoffman on projects, and both have done remasters for Audio Fidelity (the revived version of the old DCC label), so Gray’s work has the potential to similarly be astounding. I’d much rather have Hoffman or Gray handling the mastering on Beach Boys projects than most anybody else at this stage. The hand full of DCC Beach Boys titles are clocking in around 20 years old at this stage, and they still sound better than subsequent remasters.

I for one am tired of remasters of the same albums; I’d rather see archival live and studio releases. But Analogue Productions has succeeded in finding one of the few scenarios where I would consider buying these same freaking albums again: Releasing them on SACD, and with someone like Gray remastering.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2014, 07:05:00 AM »

I for one am tired of remasters of the same albums; I’d rather see archival live and studio releases.…

Heck of a lot of sympathy with this thought.  It's not just that it's material getting reissued, but the same albums getting re-issued, and the same elements of the catalogue getting passed over.

It's fun to have new release, fascinating to compare the audio (if time permits) but fresh material, whether archive or new, would hold sway.  Maybe the way Led Zepp are re-issuing their first three album could be some sort of template to improve upon.

But hey ho, crumbs is crumbs…

“We live in divisive times.”
sparkydog1725
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2014, 10:38:41 AM »

Ha ha! I'd forgotten about that. When he realised his error (i.e. when the official announcement was made), did he not then delete the thread and start a new one making it look like it was his scoop? I'm sure there was a 'win The Smile Sessions' competition to boot. Smooth.

STeVE SAiD: "Upon release I will have 10 sealed copies to give away to 10 lucky SH Forums members so stay tuned and SMiLE!"
That was the last any SHF member heard about that.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 10:44:00 AM by sparkydog1725 » Logged
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2014, 10:32:09 AM »

made an account quick, its

Surfin Safari
Surfin USA
Surfer Girl
Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down Vol II
All Summer Long
Today
Summer Days
Party
Pet Sounds
Smiley Smile
Sunflower
Surf's Up
Holland

btw any idea on when these are coming out / price / individually or in a set?

why Party? Nix Party and do Wild Honey ,I mean c'mon
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2014, 10:36:38 AM »

Anyone know if this alleged project is still happening??

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2014, 12:17:49 PM »

Anyone know if this alleged project is still happening??

It better be.

A discipline daddy.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2014, 12:39:26 AM »

Personally I hope the programme gets scuttled and reborn as something that offers a whole bunch of unreleased material on companion discs: it exists - early stuff could be drawn from Big Beat, First Wave, Lost & Found; we've just seen the evidence of a whole slew of Brother era material still to be issued; there's the so-called "Bedroom Tapes"; various unreleased live recordings; already issued material that's effectively out-of-print; unadulterated Sail Plane Song and YLTLF…

Put out the albums in the highest fidelity as per-plan, but not just as yet-another-reissue-of-the-material-the-fans-have-many-times-over.

kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2014, 01:39:51 AM »

made an account quick, its

Surfin Safari
Surfin USA
Surfer Girl
Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down Vol II
All Summer Long
Today
Summer Days
Party
Pet Sounds
Smiley Smile
Sunflower
Surf's Up
Holland

btw any idea on when these are coming out / price / individually or in a set?

party shouldnt be included cmon
PhilCohen
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2014, 04:08:12 PM »

8 months after the original announcement, and Analogue Sounds can't bring themselves to release even ONE Beach Boys L.P. or SACD. Analogue Sounds has squandered whatever consumer enthusiasm once existed amongst the fans.
FORGET IT.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2014, 04:32:08 PM »

I hear no-one has officially announced that there will be a Sunday tomorrow, so I guess it's not happening. Not the way I envisioned the world ending.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2014, 04:53:41 PM »

It's Sunday where I am, so you should be ok.

No word on Monday at this juncture, however, so don't hold your breath.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2014, 07:01:41 PM »

It makes sense to me for Surfer Girl to be the first album to start at as far as reissues go. Surfin USA was/is phenomenal but even tho it was a pure surf-instro album it wasnt where they came into full form like Surfer Girl; and I seen many undermine Little Deuce Coupe cuz it was only 2/3 of new material but ya gotta take into account that it came out RIGHT AFTER Surfer Girl...and LDC is a verg solid album, same goes for Shut Down vol2, so what if it had a couple filler tracks, EVERYONE was doin it like that...All Summer Long is fantastic ALL the way thru, same goes for Today and Summer Days, one or two filler tracks doesng weaken the album, the Beatles and Stones had plenty filler and both of em were still doin a shitload of covers when the BBs were doin almost all origs. With that bein said Pet Sounds is a given as is Smiley...then jumping ahead to Sunflower cuz its been said many times and is true- Sunflower was their most solid group effort in years and no album that followed even came close to equalling it.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2014, 07:12:03 PM »

It's Sunday where I am, so you should be ok.

No word on Monday at this juncture, however, so don't hold your breath.

SOMEBODY should rework this time thing so everyone has Sunday at the same time!  ( and  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXFQZi_swrw )

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2014, 12:54:53 AM »

8 months after the original announcement, and Analogue Sounds can't bring themselves to release even ONE Beach Boys L.P. or SACD. Analogue Sounds has squandered whatever consumer enthusiasm once existed amongst the fans.
FORGET IT.

My own enthusiasm for this expired when I considered the expense of buying yet another incomplete batch of reissues done without any imagination - no bonus tracks, no outtakes, no additional information… I'm maybe jumping the gun in saying that but other than the sound quality improvement and the vinyl/SACD format choice, they'd be just another shelf filler.

I'd rather have a new album from the band, or Blu-Ray audio deluxe reissues of the entire back cAtalogue.  Or another rarities set.

I'm glad there's currently no temptation to empty the wallet in this direction.

PhilCohen
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2014, 07:08:48 PM »

This is one instance where I'd like to see Capitol, Brother and the various surviving Beach Boys VETO a proposed project.(Where's the cantankerous, lawsuit-loving Mike Love when you need him?). Instead, give us something that we haven't heard before, something we haven't bought 5 times before. Besides, vinyl revival fad folks will not be pleased if Analogue Productions issues the 21st century stereo remixes of "Today","Summer Days...and Summer Nights", "Smiley Smile" & "Party" on vinyl. After all, these mixes were created on digital equipment, and there is no analogue master tape. For those recent mixes, the "masters" are files on a hard drive. Let's not forget the complaints from the vinyl revival fadists(is there such a word?) when it was revealed that the stereo Beatles vinyl reissues were mastered from digital files.

PhilCohen
« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2014, 07:34:39 PM »

I hear no-one has officially announced that there will be a Sunday tomorrow, so I guess it's not happening. Not the way I envisioned the world ending.

Well, if the world IS coming to an end soon, then that's a good reason to speed up the CD,DVD & Blu-Ray release schedule. Grin
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 07:50:28 PM by PhilCohen » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2014, 07:46:03 PM »

Well, if the world IS coming to an end soon, then that's a good reason to speed up the CD,DVD & Blu-Ray release schedule.

ANY reason to speed it up works for me.

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2014, 12:04:13 PM »

It is taking unusually long for these to come out.   Angry  

But I'm still excited about what they'll offer.  I simply want the best sound, hi-res versions of the Beach Boys albums -- period.  So, no complaints -- it's a dream come true for this fan.

The only complaint would be that it's (at this point) an incomplete set.  I listen to the 70s albums more than the 60s ones, for whatever reason.  And there's no certainty (or apparent plan) that this will end up as a complete collection.  It would end up being a major, major tease in that respect.

EDIT:  And I'm not aware of Analogue Productions ever re-producing the complete catalog of an artist whose catalog is this large.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 12:08:56 PM by Bean Bag » Logged

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2014, 01:40:07 PM »

I simply want the best sound, hi-res versions of the Beach Boys albums -- period. 

PONO is coming!

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2014, 09:27:49 PM »

Well, for me, the big plus to the Analogue Productions series was having Kevin Gray master the albums.  For instance, I wouldn't need hi-rez downloads of the current masters.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 29 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx