gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:49:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 14 Beach Boys albums coming to vinyl/SACD  (Read 211300 times)
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2013, 01:53:49 PM »

I'm equipped for SACD, but I'm going to wait for further information before deciding whether to buy. I've got all of these albums several times on CD. I've got both the 1990 & 2001 editions of the "Two-Fer" CD's(I prefer the 1990 editions which sound closer to what the original vinyl sounded like), and I've got the 2012 Mono/Stereo reissues. Those discs are useful for the previously unreleased stereo versions of "Today", "Summer Days…and Summer Nights", "Party" & "Smiley Smile", and for the CD debuts of the 1963-64 mono albums(though the masterings of those mono albums leave much to be desired, especially clipping off the start of the mono mix of "Stoked"!!)

Generally, my attitude towards upcoming archival projects, boxed sets & surround sound remix projects being mooted, rumored or proposed by Neil Young, Emerson,Lake & Palmer, Yes ,Jethro Tull and the surviving members of Pink Floyd, Small Faces & Led Zeppelin is this: If these discs are ever released, I'll be there. I'll buy 'em. But if they don't ever happen, I'm O.K. with that,too. This is why I'm not clamoring for more Beach Boys archival projects. If they want to release more vault material, then surprise us: create these projects without a 22-month "Wall of Secrecy" build-up. Don't announce them until all of the artist permissions have been obtained.

I'm not sure if there is an urgent need for Beach Boys SACD's or vinyl. I've got the original 1960's vinyl releases(excepting, for unknown reasons "Surfin' U.S.A."). As for SACD's, I'd be more excited if the 1969-73 albums were in surround sound.

Agree with most of your points here, but from my point of view, I'm only interested if they vinyl issues are of the stereo mixes - I have all the mono LPs where applicable, and I'm not too worried about obtaining/paying for something I already have for the sake of EQ and the odd scratch.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2013, 01:49:50 AM »

I'm only interested if they vinyl issues are of the stereo mixes - I have all the mono LPs where applicable

To me it's the other way round - I'd love to have mono vinyl versions of the pre-1965 LPs!

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2013, 05:06:20 AM »

I'm only interested if they vinyl issues are of the stereo mixes - I have all the mono LPs where applicable

To me it's the other way round - I'd love to have mono vinyl versions of the pre-1965 LPs!

If they were double LPs [Mono and Stereo in a gatefold] I'd be happiest though  Wink

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2013, 02:34:06 AM »

would be nice if they used the original quad mixes of cool cool water and its about time, as well as the quad surfs up album mixes obviously

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2013, 06:31:22 PM »

Cool that the vinyl reissues will feature "old school" tip-on jackets (printed wraps glued on to grey chipboard shells), which were the way all Beach Boys albums thru 15 Big Ones (excepting 20/20 and Endless Summer) were originally released in the US.  Wonder if they'll make them even more authentic by having the glue seams on the cover side for the earlier albums (as was done in the US on Surfin Safari thru Stack-O-Tracks) and the glue seams on the back or inside as was done for tip-on jackets in the US starting with Sunflower.

I do wish they weren't using 200 gram vinyl, as I much prefer 120 gram vinyl as found on the original releases.  180 gram and 200 gram vinyl are more susceptible to loud cracking sounds due to non-fill, and they feel totally different than the original releases, but they do allow manufacturers to tout such records as audiophile pressings with a resultant significant increase in price.

And yeah, where are Wild Honey, Friends, and 20/20?  All really great records that deserve to be part of this series.  And to complete the set they oughta include Stack-O-Tracks with the original style booklet for the vinyl release, and a mini-booklet for the (hopefully hybrid) SACD.

Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2013, 04:02:01 PM »

Is there a release date for these yet?

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2013, 05:04:23 PM »

So can SCAD be played on a computer? I'm not a real audiophile and this stuff confuses me Tongue
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2013, 10:02:18 PM »

So can SCAD be played on a computer? I'm not a real audiophile and this stuff confuses me Tongue
Nope.

An SACD can only be played on an SACD compatible player.  Sony and Pioneer make consumer grade Blu Ray players that can read 'em (they cost about $150 australian).  Or you could show off and drop  anything from $1K to $ 20K on an audiophile unit.

BUT RE PC listening - if these SACDs are hybrid SACD's, it means they have a CD compatible layer which you will be able to play on your PC; but won't be high res.

Howevs, The main thing with SACD releases is the quality of the mastering; if it's mastered really well, the quality will shine through on the CD layer.

If you are happy with the twofers or the recent remasters, you might want to wait for some reviews to hear if there are any sonic revelations or improvement over those releases before you blow your bread.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 01:21:40 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2014, 11:42:14 AM »

These will be hybrid SACDs, in keeping with everything else that Analog Productions does.  So no need worry about compatibility -- they'll play where ever you play CDs.  They'll probably be north of $25 a pop.  So, if you're not an audiophile, you can pass.  The goal here is to finally give us perfect sounding digital versions.  And this time in hi-rez!  Basically, everything from Safari to Holland (minus the few noted exceptions) will now sound gloriously like the Audio Fidelity version of Pet Sounds.  Which to me, is divine - and worth it.  (I don't do vinyl, btw)

So... I'm in for the whole lot.  I've bought all the re-releases over these many years -- and each one has faults.  These will, without any doubt correct that.  These will be the best.  I have no concerns.  These will be the last time I'll ever need to buy another digital version of these albums*.  So I'm happy -- not that I have to pay a lot of money -- but that I will have "peace" with the Beach Boys on CD*.

*The obvious caveat to all this is...
1) Mono/stereo.  Which are we getting?  Both?
2) What about all the other albums (Concert, Christmas, Wild Honey, Friends, 20/20, CATP, and everything after Holland.)

If the 2012 remaster campaign has been left unfinished (as of today) -- are we to believe this series too will not complete the deal?  I find it weird to do these albums but not rest.

leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2014, 12:03:21 PM »

PC speakers and amplifiers would not reveal the sonics on a SACD anyway.

To get the benefit of SACD you need hi-end gear all through the chain from SACD player to speakers.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2014, 12:22:03 PM »

Even if you don't have a SACD player, the Redbook layer sounds almost as good. The CD layer is from the converted SACD layer.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2014, 01:22:51 PM »

These will be hybrid SACDs, in keeping with everything else that Analog Productions does.  So no need worry about compatibility -- they'll play where ever you play CDs.  They'll probably be north of $25 a pop.  So, if you're not an audiophile, you can pass.  The goal here is to finally give us perfect sounding digital versions.  And this time in hi-rez!  Basically, everything from Safari to Holland (minus the few noted exceptions) will now sound gloriously like the Audio Fidelity version of Pet Sounds.  Which to me, is divine - and worth it.  (I don't do vinyl, btw)

So... I'm in for the whole lot.  I've bought all the re-releases over these many years -- and each one has faults.  These will, without any doubt correct that.  These will be the best.  I have no concerns.  These will be the last time I'll ever need to buy another digital version of these albums*.  So I'm happy -- not that I have to pay a lot of money -- but that I will have "peace" with the Beach Boys on CD*.

*The obvious caveat to all this is...
1) Mono/stereo.  Which are we getting?  Both?
2) What about all the other albums (Concert, Christmas, Wild Honey, Friends, 20/20, CATP, and everything after Holland.)

If the 2012 remaster campaign has been left unfinished (as of today) -- are we to believe this series too will not complete the deal?  I find it weird to do these albums but not rest.

I am pretty much with you BB, but I will not buy (re-buy) all of the 14.

But I think the omission of Wild Honey, Friends and 20/20 is a GLARING one!  GLARING!

Let's remember, Wild Honey, Friends, 20/20 are MASTERWORKS!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2014, 11:57:52 AM »

Apologies if this has already been mentioned but someone posted this link on the Hoffman board:

http://backonthetracks.com/2014/01/13/the-vinyl-revival-upcoming-treaures-for-2014/comment-page-1/

Analogue productions set to release 24(!) Beach Boys lps and 14 SACDs mastered by Kevin Gray.

From what I can gather the albums that were repackaged in 2012 may be released as separate mono and stereo lps where applicable i.e. a stereo smiley would be available on vinyl.

Anyone else have any fresh info on this, or able to negate this info (and help me to manage my expectations in the process!)?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 12:12:49 PM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2014, 12:00:43 PM »

Apologies if this has already been meantioned but someone posted this link on the Hoffman board:

http://backonthetracks.com/2014/01/13/the-vinyl-revival-upcoming-treaures-for-2014/comment-page-1/

Analogue productions set to release 24(!) Beach Boys lps and 14 SACDs mastered by Kevin Gray.

From what I can gather the albums that were repackaged in 2012 may be released as separate mono and stereo lps where applicable i.e. a stereo smiley would be available on vinyl.

Anyone else have any fresh info on this, or able to negate this info (and help me to manage my expectations in the process!)?

I need to get a job this summer...

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2014, 12:13:07 PM »

Apologies if this has already been meantioned but someone posted this link on the Hoffman board:

No kidding.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2014, 12:26:33 PM »

No kidding.

Just got one… starts in 10 weeks! First pay packet? Blown!

“We live in divisive times.”
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2014, 12:27:34 PM »

Q: Are we ever gonna get a complete discography re-release that's done right?

A: Nop.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2014, 12:34:50 PM »

I need to get another job to pay for all this Shocked

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2014, 12:53:28 PM »

Just get a shitty cd player like I have and you won't be able to tell the difference.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2014, 01:06:28 PM »

I'm talking vinyl, no the CDs. The SACDs don't bother me so much... the vinyl? mmmmmmm

Though the CDs will probably sounded better than the 2012 CDs... UGH

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2014, 03:26:03 PM »

Steve Hoffman himself over on his board did jokingly intimate Analogue Productions are prone to a bit of lag in their schedules (he said expect within the next ten years).

Hoffman also said to "pray for mono" (ie, original B-Dub mixes).

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2014, 03:58:43 PM »

I've just had a new turntable bought for my birthday to play my ever growing collection.  I have pretty much got all the Capitol greens on vinyl, original vinyl for all the albums, From the Vaults, Simply Vinyl, Yellow Label Capitols, Brown Pet Sounds, 40th Anniversary Pet Sounds Double etc, etc, and yet I know I will want these when they come out!  Why, oh why do they do this to me?!  Can I justify it? Embarrassed

Problem is I have dodgy hearing and wouldn't know the best pressing or CD version!  I need to stop visiting that Hoffman board. Grin
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2014, 02:56:09 AM »

Q: Are we ever gonna get a complete discography re-release that's done right?

A: Nop.

I think there's potential for these to be the best sounding re-releases. Also if they are pressing mono and stereo as separate LPs that's another plus. Stereo Smiley on vinyl? Yes please. Mono Today and Summer Days on clean, new vinyl and not sourced from CD?  Hello

I'm unfamiliar with kevin Gray's work but according to the audio obsessives over at Hoffman, he is the man when it comes to mastering. Like Obi Wan to Hoffman's Vader or something. These could be great sounding if they ever see the light of day. And separate mono and stereo vinyl releases? What's not to love about that?

Admittedly the omission of Friends, Wild Honey etc. is quite a flaw but maybe that will change.

I'm surprised there's not more excitement/blind & rabid speculation going on here.

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2014, 03:20:42 AM »

the omission of those 4 ? albums is a massive blow!

like why bother doing the rest and leave out a couple?....

much like the 2012 mono/stereo remasters..... it makes 'no sense'!

those are magic records in the beach boys artillery, and it sucks they

continue to be overlooked and never given a proper discography treatment..

and like a fool, i'll come along and pick up the fragments and spend $$$ on

something I already have ultimately........

this being a BB fan is tough work...  Undecided

arrrrrrrr!!!!

RickB
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 03:22:33 AM by Rick Bartlett » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2014, 03:24:23 AM »

I'm indulging in very blind rabid excitement… just waiting on a link to pre-order.

The Blu-Ray Pet Sounds still seems to be floating in the ether also.  I expect it'll bite the dust with these on the way. Shame, as the tracklist indicated that it included the bonus tracks that were on the first Japanese CD pressing way-back.

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 29 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx