gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:23:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 14 Beach Boys albums coming to vinyl/SACD  (Read 211345 times)
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2013, 02:57:49 PM »

Saw it over on the Steve Hoffman board...didn't notice it here...great news for audiophiles

Mastered by Kevin Grey

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/coming-soon-14-beach-boys-titles-on-vinyl-sacd-mastered-by-kevin-gray.335207/

« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 10:28:38 AM by Justin » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 03:44:39 PM »

Tough call. I bought my first CD player specifically to listen to a specific Beach Boys product. My first HDCD player specifically to listen to specific Beach Boys product. My first DVD player to listen to specific Beach Boys product. Same with a 5.1 system, a DVD player and even replacing my vinyl deck.now they switch to near-obsolete SACD* for a slew of reissues of stuff that's been reissued umpteen times in the last umpteen times.

They've lost me at last.

* My last upgrade was Blu-Ray, for specific Neil Young product. Where's Archives Vol 2, Neil?Huh?

“We live in divisive times.”
bluesno1fann
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 04:07:17 PM »

What are the albums?
zane7570
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 04:12:20 PM »

What are the albums?

check the link in the first post and you'll see an ad with the titles on the bottom right.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 04:14:57 PM »

What are the albums?

check the link in the first post and you'll see an ad with the titles on the bottom right.
I can't. I have to be a member to check that
Ninten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 04:30:45 PM »

made an account quick, its

Surfin Safari
Surfin USA
Surfer Girl
Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down Vol II
All Summer Long
Today
Summer Days
Party
Pet Sounds
Smiley Smile
Sunflower
Surf's Up
Holland

btw any idea on when these are coming out / price / individually or in a set?
bluesno1fann
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 04:39:48 PM »

Surfin Safari
Surfin USA
Surfer Girl
Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down Vol II
All Summer Long
Today
Summer Days
Party
Pet Sounds
Smiley Smile
Sunflower
Surf's Up
Holland

What I don't understand is why they would choose Surfin' Safari, Surfin' USA, Little Deuce Coupe and the Party Album over Wild Honey, Friends, 20/20, and Love You! Then again it's just my opinion. But seriously, the Party Album?!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 04:57:55 PM »

What I don't understand is why they would choose Surfin' Safari, Surfin' USA, Little Deuce Coupe and the Party Album over Wild Honey, Friends, 20/20, and Love You! Then again it's just my opinion. But seriously, the Party Album?!

BBs Party; just, maybe, the greatest uber-cool album ever

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 05:08:22 PM »

And it includes one of the Beach Boys no. 1 singles.

Better Party! than 20/20, imo.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
bluesno1fann
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 05:15:08 PM »

20/20 is one of their best albums imo.
I Can Hear Music, Be With Me, All I Want To Do, Nearest Faraway Place, Cottonfields, Never Learn Not To Love, etc. You can't go wrong!

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 05:35:25 PM »

20/20 is one of their best albums imo.
I Can Hear Music, Be With Me, All I Want To Do, Nearest Faraway Place, Cottonfields, Never Learn Not To Love, etc. You can't go wrong!

As individual songs it's some of their best (esp. Be With me). But as an album, it just lacks cohesiveness. But glad you dig it!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 12:28:51 AM »

Tough call. I bought my first CD player specifically to listen to a specific Beach Boys product. My first HDCD player specifically to listen to specific Beach Boys product. My first DVD player to listen to specific Beach Boys product. Same with a 5.1 system, a DVD player and even replacing my vinyl deck.now they switch to near-obsolete SACD* for a slew of reissues of stuff that's been reissued umpteen times in the last umpteen times.

They've lost me at last.

* My last upgrade was Blu-Ray, for specific Neil Young product. Where's Archives Vol 2, Neil?Huh?

Most, if not all, of the recent Sony Blu-Ray players will play SACDs.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 12:47:03 AM »

Wow!!!  This is pretty interesting news.

The key things will be:

1) The quality of the mastering - will it be an improvement on any recent offerings from the Mark L/Alan B workshop?

2) If, yes at 1), will these be Hybrid SACDs?  Hybrid SACDs have a 16 bit/44,100hz layer that will play on any CD compatible device, AND a 24 bit/88200hz or 96000hz (or greater) layer that will only play on a SACD compatible machine (as was the case for the recent MOFI Pet Sounds).

If you don't have SACD compatible gear, but have HDCD compatible gear, there is probably little gain, other than collection or compulsion, to buy the new ones.

But if you do.....

Either way, the devil is in the mastering!

3) Re Sunflower - as per Mr Desper, the only official master should be as per the original artisan cut, or a matrix decoded master (and we wants that, precious)

At the end of the day, sonic analities aside, it's great that this fantastic music is available in a wide variety of formats and appealing to broad and discerning markets.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 01:33:55 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 12:56:34 AM »

Because they want to make some money and actually sell a few of these?  I hate to break it to you, but the first three albums that you list define The Beach Boys and always will...even to the niche audiophile market that these releases are geared toward.  I agree that choosing Party! over say Wild Honey is odd, but ALL of their 60's catalog is deserving of remastering, not just the albums you like.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2013, 01:13:25 AM »

Because they want to make some money and actually sell a few of these?  I hate to break it to you, but the first three albums that you list define The Beach Boys and always will...even to the niche audiophile market that these releases are geared toward.  I agree that choosing Party! over say Wild Honey is odd, but ALL of their 60's catalog is deserving of remastering, not just the albums you like.
Surfin USA I agree. The debut isn't really surf, and they moved on to much better things, and LDC is in all honesty, their poorest album before the Party Album.
Also, I think that Pet Sounds/Smile define the Beach Boys more than their earlier stuff - after all it is their most famous releases
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 01:19:00 AM by rockno1fann » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2013, 01:15:55 AM »

I see no-one's asked the burning question, so dammit, I'll have to:

Holland - with or without the Fairytale ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 01:34:38 AM »

I see no-one's asked the burning question, so dammit, I'll have to:

Holland - with or without the Fairytale ?

… and the other question – maybe I've overlooked the answer to my own question – but which of the earlier albums will be mono and which stereo? Or will they be back-to-back both?

With the exception of Surfin Safari and Holland, this is the same list of albums that were re-issued in summer 2012, first in Japan and then everywhere else that whined loud enough!

Was this Kevin Grey involved in those? Could these be the same masterings?

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2013, 06:40:01 AM »

Kevin Gray’s mastering work is excellent. I for one believe it will be noticeably preferable to most of the recent remastering work done on the Beach Boys’ catalog.

The remastering on the BB’s catalog in the last decade-plus hasn’t been nearly as problematic for me as the quality of the actual remixes, which have had too much reverb. The remastering has been too loud and not warm enough for my liking, but that has been less of a concern.

But Gray’s work from what I’ve heard is excellent; he goes the audiophile route of not mastering too loudly, and keeping everything sounding warm and clean.

The bigger question is what sources Gray will be working with? Original mono? Original stereo? Remixed stereo? All of the above? Going to the audiophile remastering route, it seems as though the only way it will be particularly beneficial is if he works on the original mixes. Not much point in “remastering” a 2007 or 2012 digital remix.

The fact that they are once again skipping over “Wild Honey” makes me wonder if they are basically going here largely for SACD versions of the partial album catalog reissues put out by Capitol a couple years ago. I just don’t understand why Capitol keeps putting out patchy partial album reissue sets. Frankly, while SACD’s done by Kevin Gray sound interesting, what we actually need are well-done deluxe album packages, 2-CD sets with mono and stereo and all the old (and new) bonus tracks for each album.

But if they are inclined to simply reissue the same albums again, I wish they would at least make it complete up to whatever the stopping point is. I get it, even audiophile labels that cater to niche audiences are probably not going to jump at the chance to do an SACD of “Keepin’ the Summer Alive” or “MIU”, but I wish they’d at least do all of the 60’s without skipping over “Wild Honey”, “Friends”, etc.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2013, 08:06:26 AM »

Aye, the absence of WH, Friends and 20/20 from these re-issue programmes is even more mysterious now than it is frustrating. The inclusion of Surfin' Safari in this latest set suggests it's nothing to do with the absence of mono/stereo masters. I think Holland showed up as a remaster ion iTunes at the same time as the summer 2012 group but I didn't follow proceedings to find out whether others were also released… and anyway downloading a remaster's like buying a Gregg's pasty on the promise of a fillet steak filling …

Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2013, 09:27:03 AM »

Surfin Safari
Surfin USA
Surfer Girl
Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down Vol II
All Summer Long
Today
Summer Days
Party
Pet Sounds
Smiley Smile
Sunflower
Surf's Up
Holland

Where's Friends?  Where's 20/20?

GEEZ!

Old Man

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2013, 11:30:21 AM »

Excited if some of these will be an improvement over existing vinyl reissues I.e. Today and summer days. Maybe pet sounds could rival the dcc vinyl that's currently £100s. Probably won't bother with sunflower, surfs up, holland as have originals of those. Man, could have done with friends and wild honey though.

The purist in me hopes these are mono up to and inc pet sounds but wouldn't sniff at a vinyl of the stereo  mix of smiley. Love that new stereo mix.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2013, 11:22:43 AM »

« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 04:27:44 PM by sockittome » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2013, 11:43:39 AM »

How many fans who would bother to get these records on SACD or vinyl do actually prefer Surfin' Safari and Party over Wild Honey, Friends, or Love You?
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2013, 12:17:33 PM »

Sunflower and Surf's up have yet to get a sympathetic and true to the vinyl and master tapes remastering IMO, so I 'm definitely up for these.  Holland also could see significant improvement.

The other titles have seen very good sounding releases on CD - Pastmasters! MFSL.  I would actually prefer an SACD of the stereo mix of Smiley Smile rather than the mono.  I doubt they would do both as that would compete with the mono/stereo releases from 2021.
PhilCohen
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2013, 01:03:39 PM »

I'm equipped for SACD, but I'm going to wait for further information before deciding whether to buy. I've got all of these albums several times on CD. I've got both the 1990 & 2001 editions of the "Two-Fer" CD's(I prefer the 1990 editions which sound closer to what the original vinyl sounded like), and I've got the 2012 Mono/Stereo reissues. Those discs are useful for the previously unreleased stereo versions of "Today", "Summer Days…and Summer Nights", "Party" & "Smiley Smile", and for the CD debuts of the 1963-64 mono albums(though the masterings of those mono albums leave much to be desired, especially clipping off the start of the mono mix of "Stoked"!!)

Generally, my attitude towards upcoming archival projects, boxed sets & surround sound remix projects being mooted, rumored or proposed by Neil Young, Emerson,Lake & Palmer, Yes ,Jethro Tull and the surviving members of Pink Floyd, Small Faces & Led Zeppelin is this: If these discs are ever released, I'll be there. I'll buy 'em. But if they don't ever happen, I'm O.K. with that,too. This is why I'm not clamoring for more Beach Boys archival projects. If they want to release more vault material, then surprise us: create these projects without a 22-month "Wall of Secrecy" build-up. Don't announce them until all of the artist permissions have been obtained.

I'm not sure if there is an urgent need for Beach Boys SACD's or vinyl. I've got the original 1960's vinyl releases(excepting, for unknown reasons "Surfin' U.S.A."). As for SACD's, I'd be more excited if the 1969-73 albums were in surround sound.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 29 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx