gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 11:05:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 14 Beach Boys albums coming to vinyl/SACD  (Read 213339 times)
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 28, 2014, 04:19:26 PM »

Thanks Alan!

I have a Blu-ray player - Panasonic - but limited to playback through the TV at the mo'.

Had forgotten the hybrid element tho'…

John - I might be the bringer of bad news for you.  Not sure if your Panasonic can do SACDs (on the off-chance you are permitted to unshackle it from the tv); I'm pretty sure Panasonic opted to not pay Sony a truck load in licencing to do service to a Sony propriety format.

Look for this logo on your current, or any future considerations, amongst the array of format logos (ie, HDMI, Dolby, DVD, Tetley's, etc) usually on the top front left of your player - - if you see it, happy future days.

If not, well, you have small children, and they have a tendency to accidentally break stuff, nudge nudge...

The Oppo players I mentioned also do HDCD.

Also, I may well be full of sh*t re the hybrid format; I just went back to check my "facts" to date, and I don't have anything concrete to indicate these will be hybrids.  We'll just have to wait and see.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
sparkydog1725
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 02, 2014, 04:07:36 PM »

Sorry if this is a duplicate post. From the new Acoustic Sounds catalog.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 02, 2014, 04:31:18 PM »

Capitol has the rights to SELL the Beach Boys catalog to other labels?  How does that work?  I see that they can reissue songs to their heart's content, but I don't get how they can wholesale them out.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 02, 2014, 05:02:19 PM »

Capitol owns the rights to everything through 20/20. This deal must have had BRI input and agreement as well, due to Sunflower, Surf's Up and Holland being a part of this reissue.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 05:04:15 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 02, 2014, 09:41:16 PM »

We are all in for a treat with these.

Mastered by Kevin Gray.  Original Monos

w00t!

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: December 02, 2014, 11:06:44 PM »

Any release date tho'?

“We live in divisive times.”
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 02, 2014, 11:49:25 PM »

Good man! Thanks!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 03, 2014, 12:01:07 AM »

Any release date tho'?
Any release date tho'?

Not yet.

The other key questions are -
Will the vinyl editions be double albums (mono + stereo sides) or single editions (mono edition, stereo edition)?

Which Beach Boys' band members turned AS onto the mono editions? Mike and Brian types or guys like Scott T and Jeff?
Anyone who visits here who'd be willing to fill us in?

I think the mono development is likely a response to The Beatles mono vinyl sensation, I'm not gonna sweat it tho'

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 03, 2014, 01:38:49 AM »

Hmm, wonder if the list of albums they were planning to release has changed.  Of the 14 originally listed, there are no original mono mixes for Sunflower, Surf's Up, and Holland, and a few albums that were originally available in mono were not on that original list.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 03, 2014, 02:39:21 AM »

Hmm, wonder if the list of albums they were planning to release has changed.  Of the 14 originally listed, there are no original mono mixes for Sunflower, Surf's Up, and Holland, and a few albums that were originally available in mono were not on that original list.

From what I can gather, the list hasn't changed - it's just Acoustic has decided to also release mono versions: obviously where available as SF, SUP and Holland

Here's a link to the line up from the current catalogue:

When you compare it to the link way back on page 1, pretty much the same.  Still no sign of Wild Honey.

It's getting interesting and I'm going to hang back until some specific info starts to come through - perhaps even some reviews from audiophile types (eg, Michael Fremmer at Analog Planet - who has a copy of the Surfer Girl SACD).  It transpires now, the original intent was only stereo mixes would be released - and for the 60s stuff, most would be sourced from digital based on the 2012 remasters (or the most recent PS remaster).

The chance of new mono vinyl is still appealing, but over on the Hoffman board, the King Bean himself has suggested that the quality of the project hinges on a skilled individual tracking down true mono original masters would take some doing, as in his opinion, the current compiled master tapes contain some inferior dubs.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 03, 2014, 08:34:06 PM »

ALL TITLES UP FOR PRE ORDER

Hybrid Stereo SACDs: (Surfin USA, Surfer Girl, Little Deuce Coupe, Shut Down Volume 2, All Summer Long, Today, Summer Days, Beach Boys' Party, Smiley Smile, Sunflower, Surf's Up and Holland)

All titles contain original mono mixes and stereo mixes (and some remixes, I think).  All mastered by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&artistID=2776&categoryID=11

(Pet Sounds is MFSL, not part of this release campaign)

Hybrid Mono SACD: (Surfin Safari)

Contains original mono mix.  Mastered by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&artistID=2776&categoryID=12

Hybrid Multichannel SACD: (Pet Sounds)

Contains original mono mix and stereo mix (1996) + multichannel.  Mastered by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&artistID=2776&categoryID=10

All listed as 'Coming in 2015'.

If someone wants to link the vinyls...  have at it.  Many of the vinyls appear to be shipping later in December on into January.  And the SACDs are sure to follow.

I feel like I need to pinch myself as I type this.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 08:36:36 PM by Sea Of Tunes » Logged

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 03, 2014, 08:39:39 PM »

I started another thread to mention this, but I figure it'd fit in here too...

So, I was snoopin' around on Acoustic Sounds website since they are doing those SACD Beach Boys releases or whatever. Anyways, when I clicked on Holland, look what I found...

Our Analogue Productions reissue brings back "We Got Love," a single eliminated from original U.S. copies of the album. Now added as a bonus track!

Kinda cool. I personally don't care all that much about it, but I'm sure there'll be some pretty happy people around here after hearing that.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 03, 2014, 11:35:02 PM »

If someone wants to link the vinyls...  have at it.  Many of the vinyls appear to be shipping later in December on into January.  And the SACDs are sure to follow.

I feel like I need to pinch myself as I type this.

Good one!

If the Vinyl availability dates are reliable, that finds me with my coffers empty (despite the year or so lead time)

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 03, 2014, 11:48:36 PM »

Thanks Alan!

I have a Blu-ray player - Panasonic - but limited to playback through the TV at the mo'.

Had forgotten the hybrid element tho'…

John - I might be the bringer of bad news for you.  Not sure if your Panasonic can do SACDs (on the off-chance you are permitted to unshackle it from the tv); I'm pretty sure Panasonic opted to not pay Sony a truck load in licencing to do service to a Sony propriety format.

Look for this logo on your current, or any future considerations, amongst the array of format logos (ie, HDMI, Dolby, DVD, Tetley's, etc) usually on the top front left of your player - - if you see it, happy future days.

If not, well, you have small children, and they have a tendency to accidentally break stuff, nudge nudge...

The Oppo players I mentioned also do HDCD.

Also, I may well be full of sh*t re the hybrid format; I just went back to check my "facts" to date, and I don't have anything concrete to indicate these will be hybrids.  We'll just have to wait and see.

Thanks Alan,  missed this post due to pressures of panto rehearsals – and before you ask, "oh yes I am!"

Much appreciated.  The Japanese discs are hybrids, I believe, not sure about the AP discs.

Oh no, gotta a go… I think one of the, erm, kids is sticking a honey-coated waffle into the disc drawer…

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 04, 2014, 02:12:45 AM »

Here's a search link to Acoustic Sounds site filtered for the Vinyl:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&searchtext=beach%2Cboys&CategoryID=16&ResultsPerPage=40

Quick summary:

Audio production — Mark Linett

For Brother Records — Elliott Lott

- Mastered by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio, most from the original master tapes or best sources available
Meaning, not everything has been sourced from the original analogue masters

- Lacquer plating by Gary Salstrom and 200-gram vinyl pressing by Quality Record Pressings!

- Mono or Stereo editions (no double albums etc) @ $30 (as John mentioned above).  Surfin' Safari is mono only no stereo

- Safari, USA, Girl, LDC, SDV2 are expected by December 16

- All other items are expected in 2015 (perhaps we can assume in 2 tranches of 5 and 4, or 4 and 5)

- Sunflower, SUP, Holland are Stereo only obviously.

No mention of the key word "Matrix" in the Sunflower description.

Holland includes We Got Love, as per Sweet Dude-J's tip,and Mount Vernon and Fairway (A Fairy Tale), whatever that is:
Our Analogue Productions reissue also includes a bonus 12-inch EP: Mount Vernon and Fairway (A Fairy Tale). Plus the restoration of "We Got Love," eliminated from original U.S. copies of the album!

12” Mount Vernon EP
      Side 1:
      Mt. Vernon And Fairway – Theme
      I’m The Pied Piper
      Better Get Back In Bed
      Magic Transistor Radio

Side 2:
      I’m The Pied Piper
      Radio King Dom
      We’ve Got Love
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 02:19:01 AM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 04, 2014, 02:45:47 AM »

Thanks Alan,  missed this post due to pressures of panto rehearsals – and before you ask, "oh yes I am!"

Much appreciated.  The Japanese discs are hybrids, I believe, not sure about the AP discs.

Oh no, gotta a go… I think one of the, erm, kids is sticking a honey-coated waffle into the disc drawer…

Razz Arr, the APs are Hybrids - confirmed.  Hope the Hoover's near by (It's behind you)

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: December 04, 2014, 03:29:56 AM »

12" fairytale with we got love! very nice indeed  Cool Guy

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 04, 2014, 03:43:51 AM »

12" fairytale with we got love! very nice indeed  Cool Guy

Agree… this one at least is looking a must-have… very tempted by that mono Surfin Safari too, as well as, well, all the others. Will have to send the kids to work at t'mill.

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 04, 2014, 05:15:36 AM »

The inclusion of We Got Love is a must buy for me now! Damn them!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 04, 2014, 06:03:45 AM »

Transcendental Meditation

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: December 04, 2014, 12:23:57 PM »

Some release dates from Acoustic Sounds:

That's a total of 24 LP's and 14 hybrid SACD's.

At 30 bucks a pop, you can buy 'em all for a mere US $1140.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 12:28:40 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 04, 2014, 12:30:00 PM »

I weep for Friends.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 04, 2014, 12:39:47 PM »

No deal if they're gonna exclude the Christmas Album, Wild Honey, Stack-o-Tracks, and 20/20.   It's all or nuttin'!  Leave out the 60's Greatest Hits albums, but you leave out my Wild Honey and no dice, baby!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 04, 2014, 01:19:48 PM »

Rhonda and Good Vibrations are using the Digital Extractions, however there is no mention of 409, A Young Man Is Gone or I Get Around being Extractions mixes? Maybe it's a typo or they found more tapes?
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 05, 2014, 03:02:07 AM »

Time to cherry pick methinks... And that UK shipping and thus customs charges prospect terrifies me...

Christmas gifts for years to come!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 29 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx