gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 09:14:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love’s finest vocal moments  (Read 11639 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2016, 10:51:10 AM »

There was a rejected version with him on lead on the PS box.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2016, 12:09:12 PM »

And he has a great voice for playing off the other guys leads or co-leads. Al especially..they have similar voices yet they work well off each other. A Casual Look, Winds of Change, Make it Big.

I've decided that in Make it Big, the end vocal interplay between Brian + Mike, with Mike getting close to a falsetto, is one of my all-time favorite moments in the entire catalog. I get the "feels" on that part almost as much as some of their very best material from the '60s.  I'm odd like that.

That vocal arrangement is genius; I wonder if it was Brian's idea? I think I recall reading that he only came in for a brief cameo on that song. I wonder if those Brian/Mike vocals were arranged on the spot by Brian, or if it was some pre-existing arrangement (done by someone else) that Brian just came in to sing.

So funny that you're such a big fan of that song. I love it too. And it's a main reason (along with "Kokomo", "Island Girl" and "In My Car") of mine why Still Cruisin' is part of my collection.

Right on, sweetdudejim  Smiley The only part that makes me cringe is the "Johnny B. Goode" lyric. I really could do without that! And Mike hams it up too much with trying to sound like his young, nasal self on that entire section. But at the end, on the tag, Mike sounds gold. I too love those other Still Crusin' tracks. I wish they did an entire album in that era that had that synthy 80s Make it Big sound. Love it.
I like "Still Cruisin'", very good songs therein. Even bad - the song you 2 discuss - has jolly good reason to like it. That Brian & Mike tag is big favorite, said it before. Say what you will but I think Brian's vocal there is great!

Back to topic - "Here today", "I'm waiting for the day", "Monster mash", "Little deuce coupe", "Little Saint Nick".
Mike didn't sing I'm Waiting For The Day.

Let's count our blessings that he didn't. His one take on the box set was really just awful Shocked. I usually skip over "Here Today" because of the obvious strain on his tonsils trying to sing. The song should have been handled by Carl or Al.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2016, 12:38:55 PM »

Deleted for the attitude.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 11:48:30 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2016, 12:44:52 PM »

Like it or not, Mike did sing "I'm waiting for the day". Fact. I prefer his version & think it's his "finest vocal moment". The thread topic doesn't say to pick *just* from official leads.
I didn't know a version existed with Mike singing. My apologies.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2016, 12:48:02 PM »

Like it or not, Mike did sing "I'm waiting for the day". Fact. I prefer his version & think it's his "finest vocal moment".  The thread topic doesn't say to pick *just* from official leads.

It also didn't say not to. There was no need to be that harsh.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2016, 01:54:26 PM »

Dlt for the attitude.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 11:47:45 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2016, 02:03:23 PM »

lay off Jay.... Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2016, 03:04:06 PM »

Your post says "This poster is ignored". Maybe you said cool list of Mike goodies. police

Sth. I rmbr. - "Anything for you" (the girl vocal tho is epic fail), "Betsy" (as good as Brian's), "California girls" (should've mentioned it before), "Isn't it time" (as well as single with him singing the middle 8 instead of Jeff Foskett).

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2016, 05:49:47 PM »

I appreciated Mike's 'smart-ass' sound on the early hits like Surfin' USA, Shut Down, Little Deuce Coupe, Be True to Your School and Fun cubed.  With Brian off-setting Mike's leads in THOSE specific songs the ying and the yang 'thing' worked well.   At least that's the way it struck me in REAL TIME/as it happened.  As the group progressed though I found that the 'nose factor' detracted from 'it' a little too often...although Here Today worked to a degree.  I thought that Mike fit back into a more melodic groove from part of Friends up until Holland.  After that the special moments came with a decreasing amount of regularity and with a lot of space in between them.

That Carl, Al and Denny stepped forward from 1965 on to easily shoulder their share of the load helped to cut down on how much 'front and centre' Mike was required to provide.  THAT was a true blessing.  Yes Mike made a whole heap of contributions along the way...especially early on.  And in the end?  He was just as important as the rest of the guys...but really, when you take the time to measure everyone's entire body of work, certainly NO MORE so.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 06:02:29 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2016, 06:00:56 PM »

It isn't anywhere near as "harsh" as what the other posters say. Could anybody mix up Brian's voice with Mike's? When I list "I'm waiting for the day" in the "Mike Love's finest vocals", it means he did sing it.

Seriously...enough with the attitude.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2016, 12:29:32 AM »

Wow. Just...wow.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx