gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680742 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 03:05:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Instruments on BB songs you were surprised to find out a BB member performed  (Read 12856 times)
HighOnLife
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2013, 06:47:13 PM »

I think Steve Desper said Brian played the guitar on "Breakaway".

"I don't do drugs. I am drugs."
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2013, 07:18:30 PM »

Doesn't Glen Campbell claim to be a guitarist on "Get Around"?

Carl lead guitar, Al rhythm guitar, Brian bass, Dennis drums...along with some Wrecking Crew support Glen Campbell acoustic, Ray Pohlman 2nd bass, Hal Blaine extra percussion, Carl Fortina accordion, Steve and Jay saxes.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2013, 07:23:30 PM »

I would love to have a list of Brian's instrumental contributions from 20/20 to Holland. I guess he did play quite a few keyboard parts during that time and bass on a couple of tracks, but more specifics would be nice...

There's some information here about Brian's Sunflower contributions:

http://recordingsunflower.blogspot.com.au/2008/02/track-2-this-whole-world.html
http://recordingsunflower.blogspot.com.au/2008/02/track-3-add-some-music-to-your-day.html

Good Time:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,4188.msg68973.html#msg68973

Hopefully, Stephen Desper's updated book will contain band member track contributions.

Greeat reading.  I wasn't aware (or simply forgot) about the details of ASMTYD.  That's great.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2013, 11:44:25 PM »

Brian played drums on Funky Pretty?  Shocked That's awesome.  Grin No wonder I can never figure that beat out.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2013, 01:52:24 AM »

I would love to have a list of Brian's instrumental contributions from 20/20 to Holland. I guess he did play quite a few keyboard parts during that time and bass on a couple of tracks, but more specifics would be nice...

There's some information here about Brian's Sunflower contributions:

http://recordingsunflower.blogspot.com.au/2008/02/track-2-this-whole-world.html
http://recordingsunflower.blogspot.com.au/2008/02/track-3-add-some-music-to-your-day.html

Good Time:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,4188.msg68973.html#msg68973

Hopefully, Stephen Desper's updated book will contain band member track contributions.

Greeat reading.  I wasn't aware (or simply forgot) about the details of ASMTYD.  That's great.

More info Brian's (and other's) contributions to CATP:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,8454.msg141100.html#msg141100

Sail on Sailor:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,12683.msg261034.html#msg261034

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2013, 10:03:30 AM »

I just realized Bruce plays a lot of keyboards (usually organ or non-piano keyboards) on late 60s recordings.. I was never really a big fan of him.. I acknowledge that he did great stuff with the Rip Chords and had some nice vocal contributions, but I don't really care for any of his written songs except Deirdre (which I always thought Brian had something to do with but now I hear he contributed a few words at best). However he did some amazing keyboard parts on the late 60s records. I listen and always think Brian did it, but then I realize that it was usually Bruce doing those parts. Clavinet on Good Time, organ on Sail Plane Song, Wild Honey, and probably a bunch of other songs from Wild Honey to 20/20. What other songs did he contribute a notable keyboard part to during this period?
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2013, 01:29:28 PM »

- That Van Dyke Parks (not a BB exactly, but still) played accordion on Kokomo (talk about a strange world)

Anyone got other examples?

... well, if you think that's strange... VDP even played on the Summer In Paradise album... (Lahaina Aloha)

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2013, 03:09:12 PM »

Not A BB song but the nice lead guitar on Survivors After The Game is Brian.

Brian jumps behind the drum kit when Dennis sings Wanderer.

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2013, 03:19:50 PM »

Seems a good post to ask this question.  I was listening to SNJ this morning on my way to work and really noticed for the first time just how nice the lead guitar is on that song.   I wondered if it was Carl or one of the Phillips/melcher crew.

can anyone name that guitarist?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2013, 03:53:41 PM »

[brain fart - wrong album]
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 03:54:58 PM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2013, 04:13:13 PM »

Wikipedia says that Craig Trippand Fall,was the guitarist on. SNJ.     

What a silly name!   Reminds me of my friend Ben Dover and his sister Eiliene.
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2013, 06:53:36 PM »

Craig Fall was Glenn Campbell's longtime guitarist/bassist, I believe.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2013, 01:14:47 AM »

Wikipedia says that Craig Trippand Fall,was the guitarist on. SNJ.     

What a silly name!   Reminds me of my friend Ben Dover and his sister Eiliene.

If I would invent a silly profile name, it would be "Stan Dorfall"

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2013, 09:22:36 AM »

Carl lead guitar, Al rhythm guitar, Brian bass, Dennis drums...along with some Wrecking Crew support Glen Campbell acoustic, Ray Pohlman 2nd bass, Hal Blaine extra percussion, Carl Fortina accordion, Steve and Jay saxes.

Actually, the credits Jon is quoted on here are for "Dance, Dance, Dance", not "I Get Around".
If you listen to the "I Get Around" studio session on the SOT U.M. boot, and ignore the "live in the studio" re-recording done for (but not used on) the "Concert" album - which is spliced in with the studio version session -  it's clear that Carl is playing the lead guitar, but you'll notice Glen's voice a couple of times amongst the off-mic studio chatter, and you might also catch Hal referring to him by name at one point after the Dano bass intro is played ("Kinda fast, Glen")...then it becomes obvious Glen's playing the Dano bass (it took me a few extra listens before I caught on to this). BUT, if you listen to the "IGA" session intro as included on the MIC box set, you'll hear Brian clearly directing Ray on the Dano bass and Carl on the lead guitar. Solution? From listening to the stereo backing track, it's obvious that some of the instruments (including the lead guitar and the Dano bass) were recorded twice - once on the basic track and again on an overdub track. From my background research for the upcoming MIC online sessionography, I discovered that those two sessions were held several days apart. So, it appears Glen played the Dano bass on the basic track but Ray did on the overdub session (Ray's overdubbed part is an exact double of Glen's original). And all the lead guitar on "IGA" is Carl.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2013, 02:41:53 PM »

Actually, the credits Jon is quoted on here are for "Dance, Dance, Dance", not "I Get Around".
If you listen to the "I Get Around" studio session on the SOT U.M. boot, and ignore the "live in the studio" re-recording done for (but not used on) the "Concert" album - which is spliced in with the studio version session -  it's clear that Carl is playing the lead guitar, but you'll notice Glen's voice a couple of times amongst the off-mic studio chatter, and you might also catch Hal referring to him by name at one point after the Dano bass intro is played ("Kinda fast, Glen")...then it becomes obvious Glen's playing the Dano bass (it took me a few extra listens before I caught on to this). BUT, if you listen to the "IGA" session intro as included on the MIC box set, you'll hear Brian clearly directing Ray on the Dano bass and Carl on the lead guitar. Solution? From listening to the stereo backing track, it's obvious that some of the instruments (including the lead guitar and the Dano bass) were recorded twice - once on the basic track and again on an overdub track. From my background research for the upcoming MIC online sessionography, I discovered that those two sessions were held several days apart. So, it appears Glen played the Dano bass on the basic track but Ray did on the overdub session (Ray's overdubbed part is an exact double of Glen's original). And all the lead guitar on "IGA" is Carl.

That's great research, c-man. Looking forward to that sessionography!

I have a couple of questions. What was Al's bass playing role during the recording of IGA? Was he augmented by Glen on bass during the first session?

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2013, 03:01:35 PM »

I have a couple of questions. What was Al's bass playing role during the recording of IGA? Was he augmented by Glen on bass during the first session?

I believe Al played Fender bass on the basic session AND again on the overdub of "IGA". The Dano bass played by Glen on the basic and by Ray on the o/d has a more "agressive" tone, similar to the Dano bass on "Dance, Dance, Dance", whereas Al's bass on "IGA" is more subdued in tone, not unlike Brian's Fender bass on "Dance, Dance, Dance".
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2013, 04:20:53 PM »

I believe Al played Fender bass on the basic session AND again on the overdub of "IGA". The Dano bass played by Glen on the basic and by Ray on the o/d has a more "agressive" tone, similar to the Dano bass on "Dance, Dance, Dance", whereas Al's bass on "IGA" is more subdued in tone, not unlike Brian's Fender bass on "Dance, Dance, Dance".

Thanks for the info.

Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2013, 11:25:25 PM »

Oops!  You're absolutely correct.  Thanks for correcting me, as well as supplying the correct info.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 11:26:21 PM by Phoenix » Logged
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2013, 05:15:27 PM »

Another one is I Get Around, except for some added percussion and the saxes, nice to know it's all Beach Boys on the track. I mean it went to #1...and they are the musicians on the track. Nuff said.

“some added percussion”? The entire rhythmic drive of IGA comes from Hal on the timbales with brushes. Rhythmically, Hal makes that recording.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2015, 05:46:48 AM »

For me the biggest surprise of all was confirmation from reliable quarters that it is indeed Mike blowing up a storm on sax on "What'd I Say" (Sydney, 1964). Wow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMFsy9fIaqQ 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2015, 03:42:46 PM »

I think I recall reading not too long ago that Dennis played guitar on Slip On Through. I believe it was Stephen Desper who wrote that. There are some pictures out there of Dennis with guitars, and a brief clip of him holding one in EH, but I haven't seen of any footage of Dennis playing.
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2015, 12:24:13 AM »

I recall when POB came out I was mightily impressed to see Dennis's listed contributions to the tracks. Back then I had always thought of him as the drummer, period, with occasional keyboards...

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
Sjöman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2015, 03:33:35 AM »

confirmation from reliable quarters that it is indeed Mike blowing up a storm on sax on "What'd I Say" (Sydney, 1964).

What confirmation?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2015, 04:00:25 AM »

confirmation from reliable quarters that it is indeed Mike blowing up a storm on sax on "What'd I Say" (Sydney, 1964).

What confirmation?

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,20053.msg505052.html#msg505052

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,14344.msg320573.html#msg320573

Possibly elsewhere on this board...

And, most recently, Rocker, who I'm certain wouldn't say so if it weren't a fact.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2016, 08:37:56 PM »

I don't know if there is a thread about this, so I've tapped into this one.
Carl & Al played many guitars, even in the early days.  Strats, Juguar's, Telecasters, Rickenbackers etc
Is there any documentation as to what exact instruments were played on their early albums?
Has this ever been researched as such like the Beatles?
other than a few early studio shots, but has anybody worked out whether 'surfin usa' is a strat or a jag?
fun fun fun intro?
etc etc
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx