gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 10:57:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The ELO Thread  (Read 7728 times)
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2013, 07:28:16 PM »

I'm positive that there are quite a lot of ELO fans in this forum. I went through a period of total obsession with Jeff Lynne's music.  A good Jeff Lynne melody stays in your head for WEEKS.

So for anyone who hasn't seen it, Jeff Lynne did his first solo show in 12 YEARS just a few days ago for charity. He played Livin' Thing and Mr. Blue Sky, and it's glorious.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YyXPo9zRWw

They nail the song, Jeff's voice still being in perfect condition.

Jeff Lynne is the only artist I want to to see live as much as Brian Wilson...an ELO tour would be amazing!

Any other fans here as excited by this as I am? I really hope this means some touring.

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 08:43:53 PM »

Jeff Lynne is an incredible producer, I think he's somewhat underrated.  I've never been a huge ELO fan but his work with Tom Petty, George Harrison, the Wilburys, Roy Orbison, Regina Spektor, etc. is pretty fantastic.  ELO did have some great songs as well though.  Mr. Blue Sky, Telephone Line, Turn to Stone, Living Thing, 10538 Overture, and Strange Magic which is my personal favorite.

Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 08:53:52 PM »

I saw them once touring in support of Out Of The Blue when the whole stage was modeled after that spaceship on the cover. The staging was maybe the most extravagant show I've ever seen, but I honestly can't remember a darn thing about the performance. Cheesy (and not because I was high) Anyway, the Eldorado & Face the Music albums are pretty much flawless. I love Secret Messages too which is an unpopular opinion I know.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 09:37:57 PM »

I was and still am a huge ELO and Jeff Lynne fan. I have all their stuff going back to The Idle Race and The Move and Lynne's solo stuff. Thanks for the heads-up on Lynne's latest. Don't count on a ELO reunion. Lynne and Bev Bevan still don't see eye to eye and Kelly Groucutt passed away. Seems like Tandy is the on;ly Would be neat to see Lynne do something with Roy Wood again.

A New World Record: A masterpiece. Out Of The Blue and Face The Music and the ones before that are all great albums too! I love Rockaria and Roll Over Beethoven and Can't Get It Out Of My Head and Telephone Line and Sweet Talkin' Woman and Don't Bring Me Down and many others and believe that The Move's version of "Do Ya" was superior to ELO's later version. That baby ROCKS!  Got a LOT more to say here (including ELO collectible stuff like colored vinyl and other stuff) but it's my bedtime now. Jeff Lynne - writer and producer extraordinare. There's a good reason he was in the Wilbury's with those other music legends. There's a great Youtube clip of Lynne in his house that I enjoyed a coupla months ago. I have to find the link and post it here.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 10:23:43 PM »

YES! FINALLY!

I love ELO. Without running on at the mouth as I usually do, let me just say a record like Sweet Talkin Woman destroys me, same with Strange Magic. Can't Get It Out Of My Head. All of them. Just killer stuff. Jeff Lynne knew his sh*t. Phenomenal producer and musician.

You know, to dredge up a few old wounds, it really fucking bothers me to hear people try to lessen him as a musician and as a producer, whether through his work with the three Beatles in the 90's, or any of it including ELO. If you don't like his snare sound, I have one message: Tough sh*t. It's fantastic along with his other studio sound creations. You know who I'm talking to in that statement.  Grin

I can listen to Sweet Talkin Woman all day, that is actually one of the earliest Vocoders, and at the time Lynne bought it in the 70's it sold for something like six grand, if I recall. Listen to that record, it's all edited out and chopped to hell, but the song and recording is so good and so catchy, most people have never even bothered to listen for what a terrible editing job it really is.

But it works, and I love that record. Damn the editing.  Smiley

Now here's one I haven't seen many talking about, maybe it will be "new" to some folks here:

Mr. Blue Sky - The Very Best Of Electric Light Orchestra.

It's not what you think... Wink

This is a full album of Jeff Lynne revisiting his ELO classics, doing note-for-note re-records of the original ELO productions.

He plays everything on the album himself, all the basic tracks and overdubs minus certain string parts. He painstakingly recorded everything at his house, between that and his cover-tribute album called Long Waves it took him three years of work, he says most weeks working 6 days on the albums.

Why do this? Lynne said he wanted to apply what he had learned in the 30 years since first recording them, and he wanted to try to capture what he heard for the tracks which he wasn't happy with on the originals.

Everyone have this new remake album? Or even "Long Wave", which was covers of songs from his childhood and ones he considers his influences?

If not, get them.

I had in mind writing something about the difference between Jeff Lynne going back and revisiting, and in some ways completing what he had envisioned 30 years ago but through limited knowledge and technology wasn't able to match what he had heard in his mind, and what BW did with Smile. I never got around to that. I guess I chose to listen to the music instead.

Anyway, pick up "Mr. Blue Sky" by Jeff Lynne if you don't have it. And when you hear it, consider there are no other band members on the album, they're not really necessary when you hear the tracks, honestly, and it's coming from the same guy's mind and musical talent that made the records in the 70's.

Really cool stuff.

Oh, and that weird spacey guitar flanger effect on "Strange Magic"...the techies may wonder how he got the "sweeps" of the flanging effect in sync with the rhythm and pulse of the song, especially in the 70's. It was an MXR pedal, Lynne still has it. Nothing more than twiddling the speed knob until it lines up with the groove. I think people assumed he was using some sonic wizardry on the original to get that locked in, and here it was just turning the knobs until it fit. Perfect!

The joys of analog recording and vintage guitar pedals.  Smiley

Anyhow, check out that album.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 10:25:01 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 10:37:56 PM »

I was and still am a huge ELO and Jeff Lynne fan. I have all their stuff going back to The Idle Race and The Move and Lynne's solo stuff. Thanks for the heads-up on Lynne's latest. Don't count on a ELO reunion. Lynne and Bev Bevan still don't see eye to eye and Kelly Groucutt passed away. Seems like Tandy is the on;ly Would be neat to see Lynne do something with Roy Wood again.

A New World Record: A masterpiece. Out Of The Blue and Face The Music and the ones before that are all great albums too! I love Rockaria and Roll Over Beethoven and Can't Get It Out Of My Head and Telephone Line and Sweet Talkin' Woman and Don't Bring Me Down and many others and believe that The Move's version of "Do Ya" was superior to ELO's later version. That baby ROCKS!  Got a LOT more to say here (including ELO collectible stuff like colored vinyl and other stuff) but it's my bedtime now. Jeff Lynne - writer and producer extraordinare. There's a good reason he was in the Wilbury's with those other music legends. There's a great Youtube clip of Lynne in his house that I enjoyed a coupla months ago. I have to find the link and post it here.
Just recently really dug into the entire catalog of The Move and Roy Wood  for the first time (after 37 years of being an ELO fan!). I think their Message From the Country album is a must-listen for ELO fans although I think the other albums by the Move are pretty good too. I think Roy Wood was a genius- his music way more complex than Lynne's. I love Lynne too, but I would never pin  the genius label on him- he just made a lot of great Pop-Rock records.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 10:45:27 PM »

Big fan of ELO + The Move + Roy Wood... Love their albums and very good in concert.. {ELO} On The 3rd Day . Eldorado  . A New World Record . Live In Long Beach are among my favorites ..Last time I saw them live was I think 83 when Hold Tight was a hit.. On that tour they got rid of the 2 cello players + replaced them with Keyboard players..  I also saw Roy Wood 73-74 Santa Monica Civic..He was very eccentric..!!  The Move : Jeez what can I say but I used to have all their records and loved them.  1st 2 lp"s I bought of theirs was shazam + 2 lp set A+M compilation.. Flowers in the rain great song..I used to rate the Move  very highly + Pete Towsend interview turned me on to them..
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 10:51:52 PM »

A New World Record: A masterpiece. Out Of The Blue and Face The Music and the ones before that are all great albums too! I love Rockaria and Roll Over Beethoven and Can't Get It Out Of My Head and Telephone Line and Sweet Talkin' Woman and Don't Bring Me Down and many others and believe that The Move's version of "Do Ya" was superior to ELO's later version. That baby ROCKS!  Got a LOT more to say here (including ELO collectible stuff like colored vinyl and other stuff) but it's my bedtime now. Jeff Lynne - writer and producer extraordinare. There's a good reason he was in the Wilbury's with those other music legends. There's a great Youtube clip of Lynne in his house that I enjoyed a coupla months ago. I have to find the link and post it here.
Just recently really dug into the entire catalog of The Move and Roy Wood  for the first time (after 37 years of being an ELO fan!). I think their Message From the Country album is a must-listen for ELO fans although I think the other albums by the Move are pretty good too. I think Roy Wood was a genius- his music way more complex than Lynne's. I love Lynne too, but I would never pin  the genius label on him- he just made a lot of great Pop-Rock records.

I've heard the term "genius" defined as someone who makes the complex appear simple. In that case, at least in the way he crafted all of those ELO classics so they sound like great pop-rock records but are more textured than that, and did so at a relatively young age and without much technical knowledge, then he was a genius at making music and producing records.

And major credit to Jeff for going back and actually studying and learning studio engineering and recording techniques, the technical sides of it, after ELO. He could have rested on his accolades but instead learned on his own how to properly record music from the engineer's side. And some of that led to him working with George Harrison, which got him in with all the big boys in the 80's.

So unlike some so-called "producers", he didn't fall ass-backwards into a recording credit on name alone or on reputation, rather he studied his craft, made himself better at what he did and what he could do, and the work paid off by working with some of the greatest artists of the 20th century.

Maybe genius is just hard work after all... Grin
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 10:52:59 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 03:45:43 AM »

Jeff has been at his home studio working on a new album for the past year. This concert is the first new bit of activity to come out in something like 6 months.

I'm really hoping the album is officially announced soon. High hopes...

JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 04:40:42 AM »

I have a lot of respect for Jeff Lynne.  As someone else said, extremely, extremely underrated producer and performer.  Fantastic voice as he himself has admitted that vocally he has always tried to imitate the styles of his heroes Del Shannon and Roy Orbison (although at times I hear a little Brian Wilson in there as well).  His first solo album from 1989, "Armchair Theater" is a hidden gem.  Lots of good stuff on that one but unfortunately Lynne just didn't have the name value on his own to move the product off the shelves.  Now the real mystery that I've been trying to figure out for years is what tracks Lynne produced (along with Tom Petty) for "Sweet Insanity"?

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 05:12:15 AM »

So nice to read all the praise of Jeff's immense talent here, considering how often he's been dismissed and put down within a lot of music snob circles. I was on a major ELO kick in my early 20s and practically breathed all his stuff during those years.  Grin There are just so many bonafide pop classics on all those classic albums of his / ELO. People usually focus a lot on the 70s stuff, but I have as much love for the 80s albums. Even Balance of Power has great, great stuff on there. Even the all-but-in-name Jeff Lynne solo album Zoom under the ELO minoker in the early 00s was really great!

So which 5 ELO songs are your personal favourites? Here's mine in no particular order:

Livin' Thing
Sweet Talkin' Woman
It's Over
Yours Truly 2095
All Over the World (off the Xanadao soundtrack. I have a love/hate relationship with this cheesy song, but it's so damn catchy!)

For those who can't get enough ELO, there's a pretty spot-on tribute to the sound made by this ficticious band. ;-)
http://www.amazon.com/Alpacas-Orgling-L-E-O/dp/B000HRME6Y

Here's a sample:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRp8rOlDTQg

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 06:05:17 AM »

ELO fans always favor different albums. I've talked to someone who swears that Time is his favorite album of all time. Personally, I'd have to pick Out Of The Blue as one of my top 10 albums ever. I remember finding the Concerto a few summers back, and the music fitting into the atmosphere of the entire summer. Totally unforgettable!

Favorites...lesse...

Mr Blue Sky (Went for 6 months listening to this every day)
Sweet Talkin' Woman
Summer And Lighting (The JOY)
Telephone Line
Evil Woman / Strange Magic

Latitude 88 North gets an honorable mention. It was released as an out take from Out Of The Blue, but it's amazing. Apparently Jeff scrapped it because he didn't like the "Cold as hell" line.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 06:07:06 AM by Woodstock » Logged

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 06:11:19 AM »

Can't add anything to the fine posts above. Will only agree that Jeff Lynne is near the top of the list of underrated musicians/producers/songwriters...

Top 5:

1. Can't Get It Out Of My Head
2. Livin' Thing
3. Don't Bring Me Down
4. Telephone Line
5. Do Ya

And, of course, he is a fan of Brian Wilson, and, after "Love And Mercy", "Let It Shine" is my favorite song on BW88.
G.C
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 07:20:23 AM »

I love 10538 Overture.
zane7570
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 09:21:51 AM »

Funny, I was just visiting the blog of our member soniclovenoize and thinking how I'd like for him to assemble the original running order of the "Secret Messages" album. Of course I think all but one of the songs has been officially released whether on box sets or as bonus tracks on the cd reissue of that album. I think "Beatles Forever" is the only track to never have an official release and the best copy I heard was on a youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmyoDizxXdM   Not one of his best songs, but I'd still like it to be released.

All in all I guess "Time" is my favorite album of theirs. It came out when I was 11, so I only later found their earlier wonderful body of work. By the way, I love their side of the Xanadu soundtrack as well. I still have a 45 with the B-side "Drum Dreams", which I guess hasn't been issued on cd?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 09:47:41 AM »

So nice to read all the praise of Jeff's immense talent here, considering how often he's been dismissed and put down within a lot of music snob circles.

You could probably tell from my original post that it still bothers me quite a bit thinking about some previous discussions and conversations related to Jeff and ELO in general.  Grin

But I chalk it up to typical music snob nonsense and simply enjoy the music!

Speaking of which...I remember a student asked about a song called "All The Pretty Girls", by the band "fun." As soon as I listened, my reaction was:

That's ELO!!!

Well, the influence was so strong, it actually made me happy in a lot of ways. That *sound*, which I loved, for a young band to wear their ELO influence on their sleeves, I thought was terrific.

So we learned "All The Pretty Girls", and over the next few weeks i started bringing in ELO records where we could listen and compare the production styles and techniques, and trace the "fun." record's influence directly to a Jeff Lynne idea. It was cool.

First songs we played were "Livin Thing" (the acoustic guitars and strings, total nick  Smiley ) and Sweet Talkin Woman. We'd already done "Fire On High" a few years back.  Smiley

So here is a YouTube link to "All The Pretty Girls", if you haven't heard it, and no matter what your opinion of the band or the tune itself consider that a new generation of musicians selling a ton of records and winning awards are promoting and sharing a lot of the best ELO sounds with new audiences. Always a good thing.

Take a listen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0nu8sjo_MY

Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 10:29:37 AM »

So nice to read all the praise of Jeff's immense talent here, considering how often he's been dismissed and put down within a lot of music snob circles.

You could probably tell from my original post that it still bothers me quite a bit thinking about some previous discussions and conversations related to Jeff and ELO in general.  Grin

I was shocked, when I first started getting seriously into coming to forums like this, to see all the Jeff Lynne hate. Pop songs with catchy melodies, interesting soundscapes and vocal arrangements -- what's not to like?

My sister and I used to listen to an ELO greatest hits CD all the time when we were kids. In the last two years or so I've picked up some LPs and love them, especially Out Of The Blue.
Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 10:44:31 AM »

I was just listening to "Time" this morning on my way to work and was re-amazed.  (I've been listening to it for 30 years but the joy of listening to it came back today.)  And "The Way Life's Meant To Be" from that album is a close cousin of "Heroes & Villains."

If I had to pick a desert island disc, though, I'd probably go with "Out of the Blue."  It's not perfect, but what a sound!

I'm an ELO fan from WAY back.  Jeff's work on "Let It Shine" was my gateway into my love for the Beach Boys and his work on "Fallin' In Love" by Randy Newman was my gateway to Randy, so I always give Jeff credit for introducing me to some magical stuff.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 11:33:13 AM »

I've been an ELO fan since 1973 when a girl I started dating then turned me on to the  "On The Third Day" album. I always loved that fusion of Classical and Rock & Roll. That band had a great run from the early mid-70's through the early 80's. I always enjoyed Jeff Lynne's writing and singing. I saw them once during the Out Of Blue Tour. The visuals and music just blew me away. It was last time the full band performed (meaning, the cellists and Mik Kaminski on violin) together.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2013, 02:31:46 PM »

Anybody that is a snob because ELO had hits is barking up the wrong tree.. And their fusion of strings + classical music + rock was inventive   progressive + daring.. !!! And try playing + mixing that live .!  They might not be everybody's cup of tea but that's OK.. I have to admit after Xanadu and the albums after that I think to my ears they were more commercial and less inventive.. From the 1st lp thru "Out of the Blue " That's a long run of top notch music to be proud of..
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2013, 08:19:25 AM »

Speaking of which...I remember a student asked about a song called "All The Pretty Girls", by the band "fun." As soon as I listened, my reaction was:

That's ELO!!!

Well, the influence was so strong, it actually made me happy in a lot of ways. That *sound*, which I loved, for a young band to wear their ELO influence on their sleeves, I thought was terrific.

So we learned "All The Pretty Girls", and over the next few weeks i started bringing in ELO records where we could listen and compare the production styles and techniques, and trace the "fun." record's influence directly to a Jeff Lynne idea. It was cool.

First songs we played were "Livin Thing" (the acoustic guitars and strings, total nick  Smiley ) and Sweet Talkin Woman. We'd already done "Fire On High" a few years back.  Smiley

So here is a YouTube link to "All The Pretty Girls", if you haven't heard it, and no matter what your opinion of the band or the tune itself consider that a new generation of musicians selling a ton of records and winning awards are promoting and sharing a lot of the best ELO sounds with new audiences. Always a good thing.

Take a listen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0nu8sjo_MY

If you want to talk about ELO's influence, there is a flat-out ELO homage album from 2006 by some Indie Rockers banded together under the name L.E.O. that is really very very good.

Hear it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g0tVr6i7Ic

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 03:53:25 AM »

Jeff has been at his home studio working on a new album for the past year. This concert is the first new bit of activity to come out in something like 6 months.

I'm really hoping the album is officially announced soon. High hopes...
Unfortunately, much, if not all of the two songs played was obviously pre-recorded. You can tell by everyone being out of sync with the music and the huge choir sound with like 12 people with three mics.  Good though to see Jeff with Richard Tandy together again.

I saw them on the Out of the Blue tour and have all their albums, and Jeff's solo stuff.

As many probably know, ELO started as the Move and their pre-Jeff album "Shazam" is brilliant! One of my all time favorites.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 04:12:55 PM »

I love ELO! I haven't heard a lot of other Jeff Lynne project, but I will. My favorite album of there's is Time.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2013, 07:44:25 PM »

Some of Jeff's recent activity:

Mercy Mercy music video (ft. Jeff Lynne x4)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb8MvqLUy_0

Live acoustic performances (there are are whole series of video from this performance)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmPsTiT4Y3k

And as to an ELO reunion, I'd be happy with Jeff Lynne and Richard Tandy touring. However, the more original members the better. I can not see Bev Bevan being included though. I think what he did with ELO Part II and Bev Bevan's The Move was not great for either name, but I can understand why he did it. And if you listen to live recordings of either band, they were really quite good. No artistic merit, but seeing a live ELO II show would be quite fun.

If an ELO reunion tour takes place, and with correct, careful marketing/advertisement, I think Jeff could find a lot of success. I think it's been long enough that the unfavorable stigma that the ELO name seems to carry has passed. MOST people know ELO. Songs like Evil Woman and Mr Blue Sky have worked themselves into positions where you may not know the name, but you know the hook of the song. A carefully crafted setlist and a good band to play everything the fans want to hear, and I really think you'd get something very memorable. ELO is a brand in a way...it's ELO! Mr Blue Sky went back on the billboard charts after it was played at the olympic stadium in 2012, so it's obviously not viewed as outdated (not so sure about Balance of Power though  Grin)
All from an American perspective of course. I dunno about Britain, but I hear ELO songs on the radio stations I listen to all the time.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 07:57:42 PM by Woodstock » Logged

chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2013, 08:04:22 PM »

The lead singer sounds like Paul McCartney. Especially in Telephone Line.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx