gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680720 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 06:34:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Survivor #12 WINNER: HEROES AND VILLAINS  (Read 43687 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: December 13, 2013, 12:03:18 AM »

How the hell did Good Vibrations get voted out?

Heroes and Villains of course.

Too many super hip hipsters, too hip for their own hip selves.
Or maybe it's because it didn't fit on the album at all, and it would have worked far better on either the original Smile or as a non-album single

This shouldn't be about album structure though.  This is looking at the songs on their own.  At least that's how I see it, otherwise it's tough to separate one from another.

Marcella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 13, 2013, 01:22:40 AM »

Or maybe it's because it didn't fit on the album at all, and it would have worked far better on either the original Smile or as a non-album single

This shouldn't be about album structure though.  This is looking at the songs on their own.  At least that's how I see it, otherwise it's tough to separate one from another.

Not you, too Rocky Raccoon! If that is the case, then why delineate by album at all? GV is a top 10 BB track but not a top 3 SS track. I see no dis congruity at all with that because we, the smiley smilers, are intelligent enough to know the history of GV, SMiLE, Smiley Smile, and Brian's "fall from grace" for lack of a better word. It does not make us hipsters, it makes us informed
Marcella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 13, 2013, 01:24:20 AM »

Vegetables
2 and a half
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 13, 2013, 02:38:34 AM »

Vegetables

Was that your vote or your comment on posters who think album context isn't important?
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 13, 2013, 02:48:36 AM »

Vegetables
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 13, 2013, 03:02:22 AM »

Vegetables

Not the biggest fan of the smiley smile version

Shady - it's the final round so you need to be voting for your favourite track from the remaining three.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 13, 2013, 03:24:50 AM »

This shouldn't be about album structure though.  This is looking at the songs on their own.  At least that's how I see it, otherwise it's tough to separate one from another.

Dead Horse

If it was about assessing songs individually then this should be one giant weakest link  thread dedicated to every beach Boys song recorded. Then you could argue that the album context was irrelevant. But in this case we are voting for songs within the context of the album and that context is one factor that some posters occasionally base their votes on. It's really not rocket science.

Even if you disregard the above argument, how would the proposed rules even work?

"Posters may only vote tracks off based on their individual merit and not for how they relate to other tracks within the album or how they relate to the album as a whole."

So if I choose to vote Sloop John B off early because I don't believe it fits thematically with the other Pet Sounds songs (easy BB fascists - this is not my genuine opinion), my vote should be disallowed?

Or if I vote Good Time off early because Brian's early 70s voice just doesn't fit with the other Love You songs, that vote should be voided?

Transcendental Meditation not calm like the other Friends songs but I can't vote for it because I have to imagine the other songs aren't there and just judge it on its own individual merits?

This whole Good Vibrations shouldn't have been voted off so early argument is completely absurd. I say we put it to Pixeltwin as the creator of the weakest link contests whether he wants some sort of fascist set of voting criteria in place or not. If he doesn't, then can we please just allow people to vote however they see fit and except such unsurprising developments as GV's early exit as exciting and unexpected turns that add to the drama and keep the contest interesting?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 03:30:42 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #307 on: December 13, 2013, 03:39:13 AM »

This shouldn't be about album structure though.  This is looking at the songs on their own.  At least that's how I see it, otherwise it's tough to separate one from another.

Dead Horse

If it was about assessing songs individually then this should be one giant weakest link  thread dedicated to every beach Boys song recorded. Then you could argue that the album context was irrelevant. But in this case we are voting for songs within the context of the album and that context is one factor that some posters occasionally base their votes on. It's really not rocket science.

Even if you disregard the above argument, how would the proposed rules even work?

"Posters may only vote tracks off based on their individual merit and not for how they relate to other tracks within the album or how they relate to the album as a whole."

So if I choose to vote Sloop John B off early because I don't believe it fits thematically with the other Pet Sounds songs (easy BB fascists - this is not my genuine opinion), my vote should be disallowed?

Or if I vote Good Time off early because Brian's early 70s voice just doesn't fit with the other Love You songs, that vote should be voided?

Transcendental Meditation not calm like the other Friends songs but I can't vote for it because I have to imagine the other songs aren't there and just judge it on its own individual merits?

This whole Good Vibrations shouldn't have been voted off so early argument is completely absurd. I say we put it to Pixeltwin as the creator of the weakest link contests whether he wants some sort of fascist set of voting criteria in place or not. If he doesn't, then can we please just allow people to vote however they see fit and except such unsurprising developments as GV's early exit as exciting and unexpected turns that add to the drama and keep the contest interesting?

This. i'm still slightly baffled as to how people aren't understanding.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 13, 2013, 03:54:31 AM »

Dead Horse

This. i'm still slightly baffled as to how people aren't understanding.

I think they have their sights set on a best-of-the-weakest-link-rounds-greatest-hits compilation and cannot comprehend why Good Vibrations may now not be on it.

Watch a Cave
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 13, 2013, 04:00:03 AM »

Since I much prefer the Smile versions and the 2fer version of Heroes and Villains I am going to select..

Windchimes

The ending is so beautiful and trippy.  Love it.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 13, 2013, 06:59:30 AM »

if you Love  angel H&V  Evil cmon and VOTE. its close.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 13, 2013, 10:45:56 AM »

heroes and billions
Marcella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 13, 2013, 12:45:59 PM »

I'd like to change my vote from Vegetables to Heroes & Villians
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 13, 2013, 01:19:36 PM »

Here we are at the end of a tough round of Survivor. Lots of controversy about whether album context is a good qualifier to vote or if a song should be voted on/off by its merit alone. My personal opinion is that either way is fine.

With 8 Votes of people who enjoy their Vegatables....

With 10 votes hanging from out window those are our Wind Chimes.

And the winner of Round #10 of Smiley-smile dot net's BEACH BOYS SURVIVOR IS....

with 11 votes, HEROES AND VILLAINS!!!!

Round#1 - Fall Breaks And Back To Winter November 18
Round#2 - She's Goin' Bald November 20
Round#3 - Gettin' Hungry November 26
Round#4 - Whistle In December 2
Round#5 - With Me Tonight December 4
Round#6 - Wonderful December 6
Round#7 - Good Vibrations December 9  Shocked
Round#8 - Little Pad December 11
Round#9 - Vegetables December 13
Round#9 - Wind Chimes December 13

Thanks for playing, yet again folks!!!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 13, 2013, 03:18:43 PM »

Great result. I coulda voted for this myself!

“We live in divisive times.”
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: December 13, 2013, 07:27:00 PM »

Still upset "with me tonight" got eliminated so early

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 14, 2013, 12:12:08 AM »

Still upset "with me tonight" got eliminated so early

Me too.. this album was tough though.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 14, 2013, 07:01:47 AM »

Beach Boys Survivor #12 WINNER: HEROES AND VILLAINS

Yay!

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx