gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 12:45:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Survivor #11 WINNER: SURF'S UP!!!!  (Read 55718 times)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 15, 2013, 07:34:38 PM »

Have decided to come out of retirement.

Surf's Up.

The 1971 version isn't only the definitive version but it's just about the best piece of music ever recorded (IMHO). Carl's vocal is incredible, the song has punch… it's flawless.

The version on TSSi cannot be permitted to win!

I may catch a stoning for this, but I like the TSS version of Surf's Up better.

*I'll now be hiding behind by sofa until it is time to tally*  Shocked
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 15, 2013, 08:37:39 PM »

Cabin Essence

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
bluesno1fann
« Reply #327 on: December 15, 2013, 08:46:41 PM »

Surf's Up.

The 1971 version isn't only the definitive version but it's just about the best piece of music ever recorded (IMHO). Carl's vocal is incredible, the song has punch… it's flawless.

Actually, I'm going to have to agree with you on that. Carl doesn't seem to do as good as Brian on that song, and he certainly can't hit the high notes nearly as good
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 15, 2013, 09:34:05 PM »

Although I also prefer the 20/20 Cabin Essence to the TSS version, I still can't vote it out yet.  So...

Wonderful.

I don't know people like this version of Wonderful so much. It sounds even more unfinished to me than the Smiley Smile version.
2 and a half
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 16, 2013, 02:12:46 AM »

Good Vibrations - the winner of best SMiLE song should be a proper SMiLE song
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: December 16, 2013, 03:14:11 AM »

Heroes And Villains

I don't like the hack job/kitchen sink arrangement it was given.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 16, 2013, 03:51:17 AM »

Surf's Up.

Peace… come out from behind the sofa… there's nothing there but Daleks and Cybermen!

That's not to say I don't like the TSSi version, only that the 71 version is superior. IMHO.

“We live in divisive times.”
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #332 on: December 16, 2013, 04:31:01 AM »

Cabin Essence - for the reasons already highlighted.

Listening to my Unsurpassed Masters Smile CD's yesterday and it struck me just how disappointing Mark and Alan's version of Smile was and, sadly, remains. In hindsight I think it was a mistake to try to join the tracks together and use fly-in's and so forth - the result is just a frustrating listen rather than an enjoyable one. And nothing frustrates me more than Cabin Essence.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 16, 2013, 06:35:48 AM »

Surf's Up.

Peace… come out from behind the sofa… there's nothing there but Daleks and Cybermen!

That's not to say I don't like the TSSi version, only that the 71 version is superior. IMHO.

LOL
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 16, 2013, 06:42:40 AM »

Surf's Up.

LOL

Marvellous! But that's the '74 version!

“We live in divisive times.”
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 16, 2013, 07:00:00 AM »

*I'll now be hiding behind by sofa until it is time to tally*  Shocked

Me too! Not sure why but I prefer Brian's vocal over Carl's and don't miss the moog at all. I think they did a good job with this edit.

It's funny how TSS throws up all sorts of complications regarding edits and mixes etc. If only we were just voting for the definitive versions of these songs.

I have to say I haven't noticed the differences between this and the 20/20 version of Cabinessence although I haven't scrutinized them too closely. I'm sure the detractors are right but I'd rather remain blissfully ignorant.

Another confession: I prefer the Smile H&V over the Smiley one. I love Western Theme. It gives the song an epic, cinematic feel and Linnett's mix is the best and most seamless that I've heard incorporating that section. Not to say it's better than Brian's 45 edit (how could it be?) but I prefer it.

I also prefer Good Vibrations with hum be doh! (sorry brian)

So my vote has to go to Wonderful. I prefer the sound overall to the Smiley version but I'm not 100% on those flown in yodels and I also feel it lacks something without that crazy Heroes middle 8. Wonderful really needs something jarring juxtaposed against that beautiful Bach-like melody. Presumably that's what Brian was reaching for with the Rock With Me Henry section.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 07:00:56 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 16, 2013, 08:34:21 AM »

Agreed - Good Vibrations
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 16, 2013, 10:06:35 AM »

Wonderful
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 16, 2013, 11:43:11 AM »

Heros &  Evil

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #339 on: December 16, 2013, 12:41:28 PM »

*I'll now be hiding behind by sofa until it is time to tally*  Shocked

Me too! Not sure why but I prefer Brian's vocal over Carl's and don't miss the moog at all. I think they did a good job with this edit.

It's funny how TSS throws up all sorts of complications regarding edits and mixes etc. If only we were just voting for the definitive versions of these songs.

I have to say I haven't noticed the differences between this and the 20/20 version of Cabinessence although I haven't scrutinized them too closely. I'm sure the detractors are right but I'd rather remain blissfully ignorant.

Another confession: I prefer the Smile H&V over the Smiley one. I love Western Theme. It gives the song an epic, cinematic feel and Linnett's mix is the best and most seamless that I've heard incorporating that section. Not to say it's better than Brian's 45 edit (how could it be?) but I prefer it.

I also prefer Good Vibrations with hum be doh! (sorry brian)

So my vote has to go to Wonderful. I prefer the sound overall to the Smiley version but I'm not 100% on those flown in yodels and I also feel it lacks something without that crazy Heroes middle 8. Wonderful really needs something jarring juxtaposed against that beautiful Bach-like melody. Presumably that's what Brian was reaching for with the Rock With Me Henry section.

Re Cabin Essence - the difference is that the chorus of the 20/20 version features pristine production and the chorus of the Smile Sessions version features a vast amount of hiss and noise. How could you have not noticed? On the very first listen to SS it made me go 'What the f**k....?'
Tristero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 16, 2013, 02:15:38 PM »

Agreed.  Though I'm sure GV would have made it on to a hypothetical '67 Smile, it doesn't really fit the vibe of the rest of the material, IMO.  I always think of it as its own entity, the bridge between Pet Sounds and Smile.  I also don't like the placement of GV at the end of the sequence on the 2011 approximation.  It made a little more sense as a show stopper for the concerts, but I'll always think of Surf's Up as the true closing statement for Smile.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 17, 2013, 12:23:08 AM »

"Good Vibrations"

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 17, 2013, 04:20:01 AM »

Re Cabin Essence - the difference is that the chorus of the 20/20 version features pristine production and the chorus of the Smile Sessions version features a vast amount of hiss and noise. How could you have not noticed? On the very first listen to SS it made me go 'What the f**k....?'

LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU LA LA LA LA LA!

Thanks for the info Disney Boy but I'd rather not know about these defects. Once discovered they cannot be unheard. More fool for me for bringing it up!

Agreed.  Though I'm sure GV would have made it on to a hypothetical '67 Smile, it doesn't really fit the vibe of the rest of the material, IMO.  I always think of it as its own entity, the bridge between Pet Sounds and Smile.  I also don't like the placement of GV at the end of the sequence on the 2011 approximation.  It made a little more sense as a show stopper for the concerts, but I'll always think of Surf's Up as the true closing statement for Smile.

Good Vibrations fits for me just fine. Maybe it's things like the reprise in Look that ties it in, I don't know, but the other Smile songs always felt like a perfect extrapolation of all the cool sh*t going on in GV. The only thing that doesn't fit are the lyrics but the boy/girl theme fits with Wonderful ok. It could sit in a cycle of life suite if that were ever Brian's intention.

I agree it doesn't work as a closer. The perfect placement imo would be the opening track right after our Prayer. That or 1st track on side 2 as per Smiley Smile.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 17, 2013, 05:06:24 AM »

Heroes and Villains.
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 17, 2013, 05:46:28 AM »

Good Vibrations

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: December 18, 2013, 11:23:35 AM »

We are basing this track listing off of The Smile Sessions disc 1 for our voting.... and away we go!

We came pretty close this week to some blindsiding votes, but in the end One, Won, Wonderful wasn't wonderful enough. 

Okay we are back to voting off ONE SONG at a time.

Vote for your LEAST FAVORITE!!!

Votes will be tallied on December 20th!

Heroes And Villains
Cabin Essence
Surf's Up
Good Vibrations

Round#1 - Gee November 18
Round#2 - I Wanna Be Around / Workshop November 20
Round#3 - Look (Song for Children) November 25
Round#4 - I'm in Great Shape December 2
Round#4 - Love to Say Dada December 2
Round#5 - Holidays December 4
Round#5 - The Elements: Fire (Mrs. O'Leary's Cow) December 4
Round#6 - My Only Sunshine (The Old Master Painter / You Are My Sunshine) December 6
Round#6 - BarnyardDecember 6
Round#7 - Do You Like Worms (Roll Plymouth Rock) December 9
Round#7 - Child Is Father of the Man December 9
Round#8 - Our Prayer December 11
Round#9 - Vega-Tables December 13
Round#10 - Wind Chimes December 15
Round#11 - Wonderful December 18

My votes goes to... Cabin Essence.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 18, 2013, 11:26:40 AM »

Sufrzup

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 18, 2013, 12:07:42 PM »

This is cray. The SMiLE version of Wonderful is one of the most beautiful things in the whole catalog. I would have easily voted it as my personal favorite.

Cabin Essence.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: December 18, 2013, 12:11:07 PM »

This is cray. The SMiLE version of Wonderful is one of the most beautiful things in the whole catalog. I would have easily voted it as my personal favorite.

Cabin Essence.

I love it too. Being voted off in round 11 is nothing to be ashamed about. That is a good showing imo.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 18, 2013, 12:40:15 PM »

Heroes and Villains.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx