gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681552 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 12, 2024, 11:47:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: IF "Rock and Roll Music" MIC mix was released in 1976?  (Read 7105 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2013, 10:58:49 AM »

Might be me, but I think the 'hot' mix is akin to the stereo "Cottonfields" 45 mix - same multitrack, but with all the faders up.

Well I wanna hear a faders up mix then Wink

Made in California
, disc 4, track 10.

But you said Hot mix. The MIC mix is not the hot mix...

"Hot mix" is a generic term for the unreleased version: the box set track has all the elements of the hot mix, just with all the faders up.

I have spoken. It is so.  Old Man

Cool.  Makes sense to me!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Bill Ed
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2013, 11:01:20 AM »

I believe that the Beach Boys' single of Rock and Roll Music actually made it to #5 on the Billboard Hot 100, while Chuck Berry's version made it to #8. I don't recall the Beatles releasing a single of this song in the US, particularly around the time the Beach Boys' release. Is there a higher-charting version out there than the one by the Beach Boys?

Personally, I prefer the sparse production on the single release, and it remains my favorite.  I recall that back when the masters for the single were recovered (or whatever really happened) and that mix was included on Best of the Brother Years, a lot of folks were raving about how much better it was the the 15 Big Ones Mix. It's still nice, of course, to have the Made in California version.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2013, 11:10:44 AM »

Might be me, but I think the 'hot' mix is akin to the stereo "Cottonfields" 45 mix - same multitrack, but with all the faders up.

Well I wanna hear a faders up mix then Wink

Made in California
, disc 4, track 10.

But you said Hot mix. The MIC mix is not the hot mix...

"Hot mix" is a generic term for the unreleased version: the box set track has all the elements of the hot mix, just with all the faders up.

I have spoken. It is so.  Old Man

But...But... I could swear I hear other stuff in Toasty Mix that's not on MIK[e's] mix

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2013, 11:31:19 AM »

I believe that the Beach Boys' single of Rock and Roll Music actually made it to #5 on the Billboard Hot 100, while Chuck Berry's version made it to #8. I don't recall the Beatles releasing a single of this song in the US, particularly around the time the Beach Boys' release. Is there a higher-charting version out there than the one by the Beach Boys?

Two weeks after The Beach Boys single of R&R Music was released, on June 7, 1976 Capitol released "Rock & Roll Music" a Beatles comp, with the song included.

It should also be noted that 15 Big Ones (released a month later with Rock & Roll Music) went to #8. Not bad for an album (half of which consisting of oldies covers) riding on the popularity of Endless Summer.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2013, 02:37:59 PM »

Two weeks after The Beach Boys single of R&R Music was released, on June 7, 1976 Capitol released "Rock & Roll Music" a Beatles comp, with the song included.

It should also be noted that 15 Big Ones (released a month later with Rock & Roll Music) went to #8. Not bad for an album (half of which consisting of oldies covers) riding on the popularity of Endless Summer.

Yes, but I imagine what the original poster is getting at is: what if the Beach Boys '76 comeback single and album hadn't been so absolutely sh*t???
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2013, 03:02:03 PM »

just putting this out there to discuss, I think this mix (with the longer take and the falsetto swoohes) would have been enough to put this song to #1 back in the day.  I remember a few friends at the time saying that they liked the song back then (original mix), but felt that it was missing something. Smiley

To add to this discussion, "Rock and Roll Music" was released as a single on May 24. Reprise didn't release "It's O.K." as a single until August 30. Al commented on how that probably effected the success of that single in a recent interview since it was a summer song and it wasn't released until the end of summer. It hit No. 29.

Obviously "It's O.K." is no masterpiece, but given the success of "Endless Summer" and "Rock and Roll Music," one would think "It's O.K." probably could have climbed the charts even more had it been released in June or July, right? Or even instead of "Rock and Roll Music."
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2013, 05:14:14 AM »

Yes, but I imagine what the original poster is getting at is: what if the Beach Boys '76 comeback single and album hadn't been so absolutely sh*t???

Oh, come on. '15 big Ones' isn't that bad. It's a fun album.

By the way, am I the only one who thinks that Dennis was fantastic on 'In the Still of the Night'? The rest of the boys were singing the doo-wop backing vocals that we now know they loved so much. I think that song is over looked and should always be included in any Dennis compilation. They should have found a place for 'Sea Cruise' on side 1.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2013, 12:52:27 PM »

I like a lot of the oldies covers from that mid 70's era, those included on lps and those left off that have trickled out over the years.

As for the MIC  version of R&R Music, the differences caught my attention immediately.  Those added (or mixed way up) background vocals and some other nuances really seemed to take the cut to a higher and better sonic and creative level.   So many cuts on MIC seeem to have an extra oomph or to have been tweaked one way or another.  Makes for a great listening experience.

I intend to borrow heavily from the MIC box in making some new comp playlists.  Actually , the sequencing of the songs on MIC make a wonderful playlist just as they are.  Most fun I've had with a new BB release since Hawthorne or the first boxset.
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2013, 03:31:44 PM »

By the way, am I the only one who thinks that Dennis was fantastic on 'In the Still of the Night'? The rest of the boys were singing the doo-wop backing vocals that we now know they loved so much. I think that song is over looked and should always be included in any Dennis compilation. They should have found a place for 'Sea Cruise' on side 1.

No, you aren't. I love Dennis' vocals on In The Still Of The Night. My favorite cover from 15BO. I agree about Sea Cruise too, and I think that and Shake, Rattle and Roll should have gotten the nod over Blueberry Hill and A Casual Look.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2013, 10:48:55 PM »

By the way, am I the only one who thinks that Dennis was fantastic on 'In the Still of the Night'? The rest of the boys were singing the doo-wop backing vocals that we now know they loved so much. I think that song is over looked and should always be included in any Dennis compilation.

Love Dennis' vocals on In the Still of the Night.  One of the best songs on the album IMO.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2013, 11:22:32 PM »

Don't really care much for the MIC version of Rock and Roll music.  The prominent falsettos detract from my enjoyment of the song, and there is just way too much stuff mixed up way too high, poorly blended and all competing for your attention.  Too much reverb on Mike's lead vocal as well - sorta sounds like he's singing in a cave.  By far the worst of the three released versions.

The 15 Big Ones album version is a better mix, but by far my favorite version of Rock and Roll music is the single version.  Unfortunately, on CD the single version is only available on the Best of the Brother Years.  The single version also appeared on the LP Ten Years of Harmony, as well as the European CD, but the US CD used the album version of the song.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2013, 11:49:00 PM »

By the way, am I the only one who thinks that Dennis was fantastic on 'In the Still of the Night'? The rest of the boys were singing the doo-wop backing vocals that we now know they loved so much. I think that song is over looked and should always be included in any Dennis compilation.

Love Dennis' vocals on In the Still of the Night.  One of the best songs on the album IMO.
Dennis is the Greatest! But that is one of the worst songs off 15 Big Ones! Denny didn't do a very good job on the vocals, and overall, it plain sucks and is painfully boring. Just my opinion, however
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2013, 02:04:16 AM »

I cannot see anything to be positive about regarding the Beach Boys version of Rock 'n' Roll Music in any mix you suggest other than the legendary cold (all faders down) mix. It is pretty much everything i hate about the fall of this once great band in one record. Does not rock, does not roll though i concede it is music but so is Metal Machine Music and for that matter Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band both of which are more easy listening by comparison. If Brian had Jasper Dailey  record all the lead vocals on Pet Sounds it would still be a better record than this monstrosity. If there is anyone in the entire world who thinks it is better than either Chuck Berry's or The Beatles versions well there's always one who spoils it for the rest. I cannot believe i just re-listened to this crap. I swore i would never listen to it again.
What if this and in fact nothing post-Holland had been released ? Would the band be held in higher esteem than it is today ? It is a measure of just how good they were at their peak and just after,  that the awful sh** they have released over the last 37 years (with one or two notable exceptions) has not completely destroyed their reputation. Sorry i need to go and calm down.

Thank goodness somebody said it.

Please delete my account
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2013, 02:21:29 AM »

I cannot see anything to be positive about regarding the Beach Boys version of Rock 'n' Roll Music in any mix you suggest other than the legendary cold (all faders down) mix. It is pretty much everything i hate about the fall of this once great band in one record. Does not rock, does not roll though i concede it is music but so is Metal Machine Music and for that matter Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band both of which are more easy listening by comparison. If Brian had Jasper Dailey  record all the lead vocals on Pet Sounds it would still be a better record than this monstrosity. If there is anyone in the entire world who thinks it is better than either Chuck Berry's or The Beatles versions well there's always one who spoils it for the rest. I cannot believe i just re-listened to this crap. I swore i would never listen to it again.
What if this and in fact nothing post-Holland had been released ? Would the band be held in higher esteem than it is today ? It is a measure of just how good they were at their peak and just after,  that the awful sh** they have released over the last 37 years (with one or two notable exceptions) has not completely destroyed their reputation. Sorry i need to go and calm down.

Thank goodness somebody said it.

I definitely agree - it's still God awful but in the context of the topic I left that part out - plus presumed it went without saying y'know Wink

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
bluesno1fann
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2013, 02:32:49 AM »

We'd miss Love You, the underrated L.A. Light Album, the criminally underrated The Beach Boys '85, and probably That's Why God Made The Radio, but overall I agree with you. They should have broken up after Holland, regardless of the fatal Endless Summer compilation. Instead, their image is all but destroyed to the general public  Cry
ash
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2013, 03:42:10 AM »

Glad some of you agree with me. I really cannot find anything of real merit post-Holland beyond a handful of tracks and that's a small hand.
Around 1989/90 i was playing in a band and when we played in the states i'd often be asked who my favourite band was. This was 4 or 5 years after i had "discovered" Pet Sounds and Smile. When i replied Brian Wilson and The Beach Boys the usual reaction was total laughter. No-one could believe it. The Beach Boys were just seen as a joke band and there was i like a total dumb-ass in my chelsea boots and paisley shirt saying "no no you've got it all wrong, listen to this, it's the most amazing album ever...this one's called Fire it's unbelievable". The damage to their reputation from crap like 15 big ones and the career that followed is so sad.
Now has anyone got a faders down mix of Rock 'n' Roll Music ? I think that could be the keeper.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2013, 04:04:00 AM »

Glad some of you agree with me. I really cannot find anything of real merit post-Holland beyond a handful of tracks and that's a small hand.
Around 1989/90 i was playing in a band and when we played in the states i'd often be asked who my favourite band was. This was 4 or 5 years after i had "discovered" Pet Sounds and Smile. When i replied Brian Wilson and The Beach Boys the usual reaction was total laughter. No-one could believe it. The Beach Boys were just seen as a joke band and there was i like a total dumb-ass in my chelsea boots and paisley shirt saying "no no you've got it all wrong, listen to this, it's the most amazing album ever...this one's called Fire it's unbelievable". The damage to their reputation from crap like 15 big ones and the career that followed is so sad.
Now has anyone got a faders down mix of Rock 'n' Roll Music ? I think that could be the keeper.

Yup. I just pull up the fader on a different track when doing so to prevent silence Wink

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2013, 04:57:11 AM »

The 15 Big Ones album version is a better mix, but by far my favorite version of Rock and Roll music is the single version.  Unfortunately, on CD the single version is only available on the Best of the Brother Years.  The single version also appeared on the LP Ten Years of Harmony, as well as the European CD, but the US CD used the album version of the song.

I agree; my favorite version is also the single version. While "Rock And roll Music" is flawed and far from their best cover, back in the day - summer 1976 - it actually sounded pretty good on AM radio, especially when it immediately followed the radio station jingle/call letters lead-in. For years it also rocked in concert. I don't particularly care for the later, slowed down live versions; it tends to drag. The Beach Boys' "Rock And Roll Music" might've peaked on the 1979 Midnight Special; great drumming by Dennis and Brian on bass!

I'm a big fan of 15 Big Ones (Brian's Phil Spector/rock & roll album), and I'm a fan of Dennis' later vocals (his work on Pacific Ocean Blue is timeless), but, other than "In The Back Of My Mind", I think Dennis' lead vocal on "In The Still Of The Night" is his worst vocal ever released. It was his "token song" on the album, but it just didn't work. I like Brian's arrangement on the song; maybe he could've chosen another lead vocalist. And to think they were sitting on "Sea Cruise", jeez....
halblaineisgood
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2013, 06:04:28 AM »

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 10:20:45 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2013, 08:07:37 AM »

Ah, to have been a fly on the wall during the decision-making process involving the songs recorded and released during the fateful, frenetic, fustian "15 Big One's/Brian's Back" period...yeesh!! I remember that the girl next door (who, as is all too often the case, had a seriously hotter sister...) got into the LP and kept playin' it and playin' it...I finally went out and got a used copy of Pet Sounds out of the record store (hey, remember those??) where I worked and left it at her doorstep anonymously with a note that read (paraphrasing) "If you like that one, PLEASE try this one."  Smokin
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2013, 08:11:38 AM »

Michael Row The Boat Ashore shows Brian could still produce at a high level and should have been on MIC.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2013, 08:31:40 AM »

Don't really care much for the MIC version of Rock and Roll music.  The prominent falsettos detract from my enjoyment of the song, and there is just way too much stuff mixed up way too high, poorly blended and all competing for your attention.  Too much reverb on Mike's lead vocal as well - sorta sounds like he's singing in a cave.

The only thing I have against the new MIC mix is the reverb. And yes, along with other songs that were touched by too much reverb, this is the one thing for me that detracts from the song. Otherwise, the falsetto doesn't bother me - it's a signature of Beach Boys songs, but like you say the reverb makes him sound like he's singing in a cave. I still think it's the best version of the three though; the thing rocks, and I especially like the drums. Just as I did when I first heard this version on the radio in '76.

Edit: I just listened to the song again, and there's not that much reverb. It ain't bad.  Wonder who the drummer was.  Dennis? Ricky?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 09:04:50 AM by Mikie » Logged

sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2013, 09:11:46 AM »

Count me in as one who likes the MIC mix.  Yeah, it's a little 'in your face' and the drums and bass sound like they are on the verge of saturation, but it works for an otherwise dull production.  It's certainly not one of their greatest covers in the first place, but this mix has a lot of life in it, IMO.  And the reverb on the vocal doesn't bother me a bit; in fact I think it sounds very classic, and would have fit in very well with the mid-70s nostalgia vibe that was kicked off by the likes of American Graffiti and Happy Days.

You can also count me in as someone who doesn't get very excited about any BBs releases after Holland--actually Surf's Up in my case.  There are a few standout tunes in the later years, and that's where I lean heavily on comps.
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2013, 11:34:55 AM »

Personally I don't see it changing anything. IMO it is an okay single at best and I'm a pretty big beach boys fan.
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2013, 06:55:33 AM »

Shocked  Wink

« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 06:58:50 AM by SloopJohnnyB » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx