gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 09:03:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bee Gees  (Read 5520 times)
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 13, 2013, 09:50:34 AM »

I've somehow become fascinated with this other famous brotherly harmony group beginning with the letter B. I'd just like to ask the board - where do I start collecting Bee Gees ? Any recommendations ?
I'm aware of their disco and hit-making period, but it's their early period stuff I'm interested in - Odessa, Cucumber Castle, Horizontal, Idea, Bee Gee's 1st, etc.
What do you consider essential ? What should I avoid ?
Don't want to pick up the ubiquitous Greatest Hits collections but want to get into the deep cuts and hidden gems...
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 01:10:37 PM »

I've somehow become fascinated with this other famous brotherly harmony group beginning with the letter B. I'd just like to ask the board - where do I start collecting Bee Gees ? Any recommendations ?
I'm aware of their disco and hit-making period, but it's their early period stuff I'm interested in - Odessa, Cucumber Castle, Horizontal, Idea, Bee Gee's 1st, etc.
Don't want to pick up the ubiquitous Greatest Hits collections but want to get into the deep cuts and hidden gems...

That's easy: start with BEE GEES 1ST and then go all the way through "Living Eyes" without taking a break, and your mind will be blown..... Then take a pause and there's some great studff after that. Particiularly their last album.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 01:12:52 PM »

There's some good stuff even before "1st" - check out the Brilliant from Birth 2cd set for their pre-fame Australia recordings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMeYZ0MPYvs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaj2vt-e5vY

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
bluesno1fann
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 04:16:39 PM »

I really enjoy the earlier pop songs by the Bee Gees. Spicks and Specks is a favourite of mine, and I also enjoy the music quiz show of the same name.
The Disco era for the Bee Gees is slightly overrated, I don't care for it much. But I can see how they made it big with Disco
zane7570
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 06:08:02 PM »

Buy this  http://www.amazon.com/Studio-Albums-1967-1968-Bee-Gees/dp/B000HKDBAO/ref=sr_1_17?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1384394579&sr=1-17&keywords=bee+gees

Their first 3 internationally released studio albums in one great set. Each album is 2 cd's- the first cd contains the mono and studio version of the album and the second cd contains rarities, b-sides, alternate takes, etc.  I bought it when it first came out and hoped the series would continue with each album but the reissue series ended with a deluxe edition of Odessa.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 06:11:57 PM »

That's easy: start with BEE GEES 1ST and then go all the way through "Living Eyes" without taking a break, and your mind will be blown..... Then take a pause and there's some great studff after that. Particiularly their last album.
But then you'd miss out on their best song: Spicks and Specks!!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 11:11:56 PM »

But then you'd miss out on their best song: Spicks and Specks!!!

Good point! Fantastic song indeed...Then, I'd suggest treating The Bee Gees as a massive history lesson and start as early as possible! Oh, and let's not forget Andy either!
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 12:25:26 PM »

The massive success of their disco years, certainly buried their early stuff.  Even if they didn't have the super-success in the late 70s, their early pop years was enough to warrant them Hall of Fame status.  It's that good.

It's amazing that this group had two uniquely different and successful runs like that.  Really speaks to their talent.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 03:05:42 PM »

Agreed!

"2 Years On" through "Mr. Natural" is a run not to be ignored either.... Lots of weepy ballads, chest beating Barry epics, pop curios, and some experimental stuff to boot....

I wonder what would have happened to them, had the disco thing not shot off like a rocket!
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 06:36:58 PM »

There"s a gem of a single in 60"s called.. Jumbo.. A old favorite of mine
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 08:48:05 PM »

I wonder what would have happened to them, had the disco thing not shot off like a rocket!

I've wondered the same.  You can hear elements of the sophisticated pop and the rock-solid, songcraft -- which continued straight through the disco years, especially the slower, less dance oriented tracks -- and get a good sense of the pure pop craftsmanship that they could have continued with.  The essence of musical quality.  The type of stuff that you know Brian Wilson was capable of, too -- let alone a founding father of -- had things been different for him.

But the BGs really had it all.  The hooks, harmonies, the feel and the songwriting, the spotless production, with all of it still feeling natural and original.  Everyone tried to copy it... and made millions doing so.  But the Bee Gees couldn't attend the party.  They're own party, really.  They were just too identified with a severely dated era, for decades -- and still to this day -- that they were left peaking over the fence.

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 09:57:47 AM »

THE BARE NECESSITIES by The Bee Gees
As has been said, First you get The Studio '67/'68 Box set of the first 3 UK albums.  And Odessa 3CD Deluxe in the fuzzy box.  Essential.  These have been sent down from re-master heaven.
I collect Mini-LP Sleeves from Japan.  Stay away from these, most recently released 25 September 2013, until more is known.  I have heard they do not use the ultimate re-masters.  When the re-releases fell apart after Odessa, what did come out is iffy - I've heard Main Course, and it's not the best to these ears.  It's tempting, as some of the highlights of the new MLPS' include Cucumber Castle and Here At Last...Live, both worth having.  As with the other post Odessa albums, you can find decent sounding masters on the old UK CDs.  You want 2 Years On, and To Whom It May Concern for sure, but I'd give a listen to vinyl or try to find a friend who have the others before going further.  A good place to get the feel is by getting the Box Set:  Tales From The Brothers Gibb, 3 of the four discs are 1970 thru 1989, sound is very good, has many rare tracks, all the early a/b-sides, such as Jumbo, which Mr Wilson mentioned, and a lot more.  I don't collect Andy - so didn't get the newer box, but I think it was re-mastered.
The best way to get some of the new re-masters is to get The Ultimate 2CD set which comes with a very valuable DVD that has complete versions of what's there, including Spicks and Specks, with footage of the brothers leaving for London in a plane (Barry is the pilot) and Tomorrow, Tomorrow - 18 videos in all.
Do Not get the other Hits Sets from the 2000's - unless you want your ears to bleed
General Comments:  1973 was such a year of change.  They had a record rejected (some of it is on that Tales Box), then came to America to record Mr. Natural, produced by Arif Mardin, who also went to London to work with them there. Then on to 1975, the real change...Main Course, recorded in their new home base, Miami.  The brothers, nor Arif considered this "Disco" - that was still very new in 1975.  They were making "black records" - R&B.  Barry began to develop his falsetto, and made history.  
I've been into these cats since 1967, and have the vinyl to prove it, including the Odessa fuzzy, but really lost interest in the 80's and later, except for a few tracks, and all that I want is on the box sets.  But, as Pinter mentioned, This Is Where I Came In is massively great, for me, their best record since To Whom It May Concern.  They were on a roll when Maurice died.  And were getting more involved in doing some live stuff.
They are not forgotten at my house.    
My favorite album by them is Bee Gees' 1st.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 07:16:16 AM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 05:43:45 PM »

I've always been a sucker for How Deep Is Your Love
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2013, 12:31:19 AM »

When you consider how many excellent hits they had, they no doubt must be considered one the greatest pop acts of all time. How Can You Mend A Broken Heart is maybe my favorite.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2013, 07:35:44 AM »

I'm not a big Bee Gees fan, but I like their first album on Atco Records.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2013, 03:11:00 PM »

My favorite album by them is Bee Gees' 1st.

I had this on in the car with my father earlier this year - and I'll never forget what he said after a couple of the tracks had finished:
"Why does it sound so much like The Beatles?"  LOL

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2013, 04:09:34 PM »

You Win Again is also one of the most insanely catchy/addictive songs ever!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVS68XCnFQE
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2013, 01:04:36 AM »

Even in the disco era, these guys never lost their gift for melody. Most of the time, when I have the oldies station on, and a disco song comes on, I change the station. But not the Bee Gees. Although I definitely prefer their earlier stuff. "Lonely Days" would have to be on my all time list of favorites from the 60's/70's.
PhilCohen
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2013, 01:04:32 PM »

But I would say (having lived during that era), that "Bee Gees First", "Horizontal", "Idea" & "Odessa" contain the group's best songs. One reviewer who reviewed the 6-CD set "The Studio albums 1967-68"(Rhino Records' packaging of the 2-CD expanded editions of "Bee Gees First", "Horizontal" & "Idea") said, "These three albums, recorded when two of the brothers were still teenagers, remain the group's most endearing and innovative productions". I agree, but I would include "Odessa" as well.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2013, 08:37:17 AM »

I've never liked "You don't know what it's like' or whatever that song is, just horrible sentiment to that one.  Telling somebody they don't know what love feels like?  Ugh.

With that small exception though, almost all of their stuff was really really fantastic.  It's such a shame that they're so identified with Disco that they're basically written off because of it.  Not only were they the absolute BEST disco, they were great before that, and all of the negative things that people associate with Disco... NONE of that really applies to these guys!  On top of that, they were all sweethearts who were pretty great guys.  The whole things a travesty.

My favorite's probably How Deep is your Love too.  It's as good as a Beach Boys song and that's saying something.

Pim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2013, 01:13:57 AM »

The first album is awesome from start to finish. Same goes for Odessa. Idea and Horizontal have some great tunes, but not the same brilliance as 1st/Odessa. It's a shame the stuff directly following Odessa hasn't been reissued yet Sad
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2013, 07:24:07 AM »

Anyone catch Barry's surprise appearance on Saturday Night Live this weekend?

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
PhilCohen
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2013, 08:43:07 PM »

The first album is awesome from start to finish. Same goes for Odessa. Idea and Horizontal have some great tunes, but not the same brilliance as 1st/Odessa. It's a shame the stuff directly following Odessa hasn't been reissued yet Sad

And maybe the albums after "Odessa" will never receive the expanded/remastered treatment. Warner Music(whose license on The Bee Gees catalog lasts through 2016) doesn't give a damn. Robin Gibb was the main force behind the archival releases of the 1967-69 albums…and now he's gone. Barry Gibb doesn't seem highly motivated to do much of anything, though, since recently, his wife Linda has pushed him to play an occasional concert.
PhilCohen
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2014, 02:33:54 PM »

Apparently, Barry Gibb indicated in a recent interview that he is not keen to release further Bee Gees vault material. But Barry must be realistic: Warner Music paid $10 Million for a 10 year (2006-2016) license on the Bee Gees catalog, and they (Warner Music) took severe monetary losses on the deal. No label will ever pay Barry(and the two estates) $10 Million ever again. How much Barry & the two estates will get from their next catalog licensing deal will be dependent on whether or not vault material will be included. If Barry remains rigidly opposed to the release of vault material, the resulting licensing deal will bring in substantially less money, causing a significant loss of potential income for the two estates.

Barry always talks about recording a solo album, or releasing an album that Robin Gibb recorded during his final years…..but nothing ever comes of it. Combined with the halt on further Bee Gees archival material, this means that for long-term fans, there will be no further Gibb CD product. This is the end of the road. From the earliest Australian recordings, through to their final album("This is Where I Came In"), I'm within 2 CD's(both easily available) of having every recording that the Bee Gees ever released(group or solo). Once I buy "Children of The World" & "High Civilization", that's it. Unless Barry Gibb relents, there is(and will be) no more.

I have mixed feelings about having to criticize Barry Gibb, because I've met him more than a dozen times(though the last time was in 2004). I also met Maurice Gibb once.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx