gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:50:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The most Landy-ized lyrics  (Read 3051 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2013, 10:44:18 AM »

So when Brian was under Landy's care, we all know how he tried to manipulate the production and lyrics. What lyrics of the time he was with him seem the most "un-Brian" and more "Landy-esc"?
First off, I've always heard In My Car's "Captain of my destiny" seemed really Landy like. I think Sweet Insanity tracks are pretty obvious like Thank You (aka Brian) and perhaps the extended version of Concert Tonight and Smart Girls are all good examples. The Usher era is a little more hard to tell, because I believe Brian and Gary collaborated a lot of those like Let's Go to Heaven in My Car, Walkin the Line, and Heavenly Bodies. But perhaps Landy helped with Just Say No?  LOL
Maybe the lyrics to Metal Beach? Haha
Perhaps the original lyrics to Being with the One You Love (aka Doin Time on Planet Earth) were Landy's?
And maybe the alternate lyrics to Love and Mercy that Brian sang in concert were Landy's?

Lyrics that originally had Landy's credit on the BW88 album are L&M, Walkin the Line (with Alexandra Morgan), Melt Away, There's So Many(with Alexandra Morgan), and  Night Time (with Alexandra Morgan and Andy Paley)...I have a hard time deciphering what's Landy and what's Brian.

What songs do you guys think had Landy lyrics?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 10:44:06 PM »

Too Much Sugar and He Couldn't Get His Poor Old Body to Move have Landy's paws all over them.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 03:29:14 AM »

Too Much Sugar and He Couldn't Get His Poor Old Body to Move have Landy's paws all over them.
Good call

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Zack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 09:41:55 AM »

I certainly think of Landy when I hear

"A lotta people out there hurtin' and it really scares me."

"I won't let you see me suffer, whoa not me," etc.

"I experimented myself right out of action."
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 10:41:04 AM »

I'd be interested in knowing the influence Landy had on any songs on "Love You," as well. Landy was the one who suggested Brian write a song about Johnny Carson, and some of the lyrics in that song don't really sound like Brian. Brian can be awkward in his lyrics at times, but not in that particular way.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 11:03:50 AM »

I wonder if there are notebooks somewhere full of unused or unfinished lyric ideas from the Landy years. That could be a scary thing. Possibility of finding discarded lyrics like "gotta help 'em move this piano, so I can play my boogie woogie", "my wheatgrass shake and macrobiotic salad, keep my spirits so well endow-ed, mmmm, that's good for the soul".

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 11:13:56 AM »

The couplet of "Love & Mercy" that Brian sometimes sang - "I was prayin' to a god who just doesn't seem to hear/Oh the blessings that we want most are what we all fear" (or something close) - were reportedly removed from the studio version largely because they were allegedly Landy's. His original lyrics for "Black Widow" (aka "Let's Do It Again") are truly, truly horrific. I mean toe-curlingly, buttock-clenchingly awful.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 11:20:20 AM »

The couplet of "Love & Mercy" that Brian sometimes sang - "I was prayin' to a god who just doesn't seem to hear/Oh the blessings that we want most are what we all fear" (or something close) - were reportedly removed from the studio version largely because they were allegedly Landy's. His original lyrics for "Black Widow" (aka "Let's Do It Again") are truly, truly horrific. I mean toe-curlingly, buttock-clenchingly awful.

courtesy of the surfer moon website:

Don't look now but there's a black widow on the wall
I think I'll get something and I'll crack it and I'll make it fall
I've got you in my heart every night and day
I'm saying my prayers that we're gonna find a way, it's easy now
I go through this every day, some bummers you can take away
The light was shining bright as ever, and that was happening years ago
Can't take it no more, can't take it no more
Those little things that mean so much to me

Keep your eyes on the road when you drive your car
It don't matter short distance, long distance driving so far
Hey now man just a little hug now and then
And watching little baby as he plays around in his pen, it's easy now
Now black & white can burn it on, until that goshdarn pain is gone
Frank Sinatra sings his songs, that's why things just can't go on
The little things, that mean so much to me
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 11:22:06 AM »

His original lyrics for "Black Widow" (aka "Let's Do It Again") are truly, truly horrific. I mean toe-curlingly, buttock-clenchingly awful.

I thought those were Brian's -- I mean, the whole concept of writing a song about seeing a spider on a wall? Sounds perfectly BW to me ...

I would have thought Gene was responsible for the lame rewrite, not the quirky original.

But perhaps I'm wrong!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 11:24:46 AM »

Those ain't them.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 11:26:12 AM »

Those ain't them.  Grin

Oh Boy
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 11:45:21 AM »

Was there ever a version of "Black Widow" with those particular quoted lyrics? I either have never heard the song or haven't in such a long time I don't remember it. In any case, the lines about keeping one's eyes on the road while driving a car make me think about one of Landy's female patients accusations against him. Kind of creepy if he did write those lyrics.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 01:30:56 PM »

Has Alexandra Morgan ever commented about working with Brian? Has anyone ever tried to ask/interview her?

Do we know anything about her at all, besides her being Landy's companion/widow (and his former patient, apparently), and having been an actress?

I assume she just went along with what Landy was doing, and was more or less thought to be someone who stood by while Brian was being manipulated/abused by Landy, but I wonder if there's any more to it than that.

And I also wonder what (if anything) she genuinely contributed to BW's 80s output...
Marcella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 02:10:02 PM »

Has Alexandra Morgan ever commented about working with Brian? Has anyone ever tried to ask/interview her?

Hear hear--love to hear what she has to say--here, there, or anywhere
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 10:04:15 PM »

Was there ever a version of "Black Widow" with those particular quoted lyrics? I either have never heard the song or haven't in such a long time I don't remember it. In any case, the lines about keeping one's eyes on the road while driving a car make me think about one of Landy's female patients accusations against him. Kind of creepy if he did write those lyrics.

Yep. It's pretty low-fi. Brian and a piano and beat box.

As for the eyes on the road, I always thought it had to do with Brian's, er, somewhat erratic driving habits.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx