gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680725 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 11:03:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: would anyone buy a 'bruce johnston' book?  (Read 12573 times)
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2013, 05:43:57 PM »

you know he gets picked on a lot, and some for good reason....

just quickly:

this guy did work with Spector and apparently plays on 'to know him it to love' him with Sandy Nelson..

backed up people like Ritchie Valens/Everly's/Eddie Cochran according to wiki....

was a 'Rip-Chord'.

He also produced records at Del-Fi and Columbia records....... Works with Terry Melcher...

ummm joins some group called The Beach Boys...... then leaves......... then comes back....

Writes a grammy.

Produces Beach Boys albums....
j
Actually, there is not a lot about Bruce and his personal and professional life online....

imagine if Bruce was really honest, and could spill his guts on the early days of music.... the turmoil between Brian and Mike...

where he stands on Al Jardine's leaving....

Also, he was also not one of guys on drugs and booze........

however, a book on how 'I Love Mike' and 'Woow! I love life singing Beach Boys songs' would not be a great read....

surely, he must have deeper thoughts and opinions on matters come and gone and current.....

Has Bruce ever been approached and has he turned all offers down?....... Jon Stebbins?.....

I hope this doesn't turn into a Bruce bash thread.....  thats's not the intention here.

Thanks, RickB
bluesno1fann
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 05:46:27 PM »

I would. He's pretty underrated, and I don't think he deserves the ridicule he receives.
Juice Bronston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 06:05:19 PM »

I would. He's pretty underrated, and I don't think he deserves the ridicule he receives.

Preach it, sister.
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 06:07:21 PM »

lolz

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 06:25:54 PM »

Certainly! Any book by one of the band has got to be interesting.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 06:30:57 PM »

Absolutely
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 06:42:33 PM »

Yes, as I generally regard him to be the group's best interviewee.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 07:03:13 PM »

Bruce's current position tends to be looked down on, but seriously, he has been part of some amazing musical history.  From the little bit of time that I've spent with him over the years, it seems like he has a pretty darn good memory.  I'm sure he could write an amazing book if he wanted to.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 08:19:18 PM »

Yes.

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 11:41:14 PM »

Writes a grammy.

An interesting alternative to winning one.  Grin

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2013, 11:50:35 PM »

Of course I would buy it. In fact, there should be a book about Bruce. He played with Phil Spector, Ritchie Valens, Eddie Cochran and the Everly Brothers when he was still in his teens. His best friend at the time was Doris Day's son. He became a Beach Boy and got a prominent vocal on California Girls and God Only Knows. He hung out with The Beatles. He wrote one of the most successful singles of the 1970s and sang on Pink Floyd's The Wall and one of Elton John's biggest hits.

The guy is pop music's real life Forrest Gump. Without really trying hard, he just mindlessly walked into some of the greatest moments in music history.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2013, 12:33:45 AM »

He's all of that, and the BB's very own Orphan Annie; scooped out of a Chicago orphanage and spirited off to Beverly Hills and a life less than ordinary.

It would be a fascinating read, and I'm sure Bruce wouldn't pull m/any punches.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 07:08:21 AM »

I'd rather read a book about him than read a book a book by him...
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2013, 07:44:58 AM »

you know he gets picked on a lot, and some for good reason....

just quickly:

this guy did work with Spector and apparently plays on 'to know him it to love' him with Sandy Nelson..

backed up people like Ritchie Valens/Everly's/Eddie Cochran according to wiki....

was a 'Rip-Chord'.

He also produced records at Del-Fi and Columbia records....... Works with Terry Melcher...

ummm joins some group called The Beach Boys...... then leaves......... then comes back....

Writes a grammy.

Produces Beach Boys albums....
j
Actually, there is not a lot about Bruce and his personal and professional life online....

imagine if Bruce was really honest, and could spill his guts on the early days of music.... the turmoil between Brian and Mike...

where he stands on Al Jardine's leaving....

Also, he was also not one of guys on drugs and booze........

however, a book on how 'I Love Mike' and 'Woow! I love life singing Beach Boys songs' would not be a great read....

surely, he must have deeper thoughts and opinions on matters come and gone and current.....

Has Bruce ever been approached and has he turned all offers down?....... Jon Stebbins?.....

I hope this doesn't turn into a Bruce bash thread.....  thats's not the intention here.

Thanks, RickB
BJ backed up Ritchie Valens? Brow What? When? How? What?
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2013, 07:53:19 AM »

Based on Bruce's past interviews and proclamations, would it be filed under fiction or non-fiction?  Razz
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2013, 08:20:57 AM »

Indeed I would-his early Spector connection has always intrigued. Who was Deirdre?
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2013, 11:20:43 AM »

I'd buy a Bruce Johnston 12-month calendar, each month with a picture of Bruce modeling a different pair of shorts.

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2013, 12:25:04 PM »

He's seen a lot of rock history. Would definitely buy a book.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2013, 01:26:43 PM »

I Write The Autobiography: The Rise, Fall & Redemption of the Beach Boys' Bruce Johnston by Bruce Johnston
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2013, 01:50:55 PM »

Wasn't there a cover put together for his book called Adjusting The Mike?
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2013, 02:07:14 PM »

I'm trying to think of someone more at the center of the LA recording industry during its birth, flourishing, and current near-death. Maybe Kim Fowley?

I'd love to read a frank and candid Bruce Johnston autobiography.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2013, 03:08:43 PM »

He's seen a lot of rock history. Would definitely buy a book.

A couple of years ago, I saw the Wrecking Crew movie, and it was really interesting to me, as to how the locality of the music industry shifted from New York to LA.

It might be interesting for a perspective on how as an eyewitness to this, how the thing unfolded and the relationship it had as to those musicians he worked with, and to the Beach Boys. 
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2013, 03:21:48 PM »

As has been noted, there is potential for a fascinating memoir here. Unfortunately, I think that the chances of it happening are in the 1-2% range.

It strikes me that Al is a somewhat better bet (5-10%), though his "memory issues" are on the same order of magnitude with those of Bruce.

I think the most interesting perspective into the group that we could have had would come from a "secret diary" kept by Carl Wilson.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2013, 03:57:29 PM »

He's seen a lot of rock history.

...and clapped through most of it.

But seriously just because he was there does that mean he knew what was going on? He wasn't aware the C50 live album was not one concert and I think that would be a common occurrence. I still have never got the fact he turned down the first approach to join the group. When you think about it he has kind of stumbled through with some sheer luck. How many sugary songs did Barry Manilow look over before picking IWTS?

clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2013, 04:33:16 PM »

When his group went for its 1st audition, the guy he was auditioning for was murdered in front of him. Bruce was 16!

I don't care if Bruce knew the ins and outs of the C50 concert album. Think of all the anecdotes he has stored up from 55 years in the business, shame if those stories died with him.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx