gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 11:34:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Loop de Loop/Sail Plane Song - and Big Sur  (Read 1850 times)
Smilin Ed H
« on: November 25, 2013, 11:23:52 AM »

Best I can work out, according to AGD's excellent site:
June 1968 - a session for Sail Plane Song
March 1969 - various sessions for Loop De Loop
June 1970 - Loop De Loop lined up for release on Reverberation
September 1970 - Loop De Loop is on the session master for the second Warner Brothers' LP (famously mislabelled Landlocked)
November 1977 - re-recorded vocals as Santa's Got an Airplane (and remixed again in 1998)
July(?) 1998 - Santa's Got an Airplane remixed and 'sweetened' and  Loop De Loop (Flip Flop Flyin' in an Aeroplane) - remixed, sweetened, new vocals?
August 1998 - release of Sail Plane Song and  Loop De Loop (Flip Flop Flyin' in an Aeroplane) on Endless Harmony
September - Santa's Got An Airplane released on Ultimate Christmas
August 2013 - Another mix of Sail Plane Song released on MIC

So... I'm curious if anyone knows that
a) the rather melancholy Sail Plane Song on Endless Harmony is as Brian recorded in June 68 or does it contain work from 69.
c) was Al producing the 1969 Loop De Loop version (the one on the Landlocked boots)?
b) is the version on MIC is an 'outfake' or was this another Brian mix from 1968 or 69?

Finally, on an unrelated note, does anyone know when the early Big Sur was recorded? Unless I've missed it, I can't see a session for it on AGD's site, but it is listed on the session master for the Second WB album (i.e. the non-Landlocked), which might imply that it was already recorded prior to this, therefore possibly during the various Sunflower sessions.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 12:45:29 AM »

August 15th, 1970.  Smiley

In respect to c) below, I think it's been established that the version of "SPS" on MiC is a 2012/13 remix.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 01:02:15 AM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 05:27:46 AM »

Thanks, Andrew. There's something plaintive about Brian's original version that I rather like.

I take it that at that late date, there was never any intention of Big Sur, HELP, or Seasons in the Sun being on Sunflower?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 05:38:50 AM »

Well, Sunflower was assembled and mastered on July 21st... so that would be a tad tricky.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 07:50:30 AM »

Ah....  Smiley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx