gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 12:50:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where is she - My experiment so far with backing  (Read 4423 times)
smokeythebear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2013, 02:29:24 AM »

Did some backing experiment with - Where is she - from MIC.
Drums are a bit of and its not finished, is it worth finishing or does it sound
like a pile of crap? need you guys input..

https://soundcloud.com/tombjornebark/where-can-she-be-with-backing
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 02:38:05 AM »

Respect what you're trying To do but I like it as-was… less is more, kinda…

“We live in divisive times.”
smokeythebear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 02:42:17 AM »

I hear you, preference perhaps. Note that Brian is playing piano on the verse.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 05:58:35 AM »

Too much happening, too busy and the vocal is almost buried. As John said, some things are best left as they are.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
smokeythebear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 06:34:36 AM »

In other words a pile of crap, ah well worth a try, ill torch it and smoke the sound cloud ashes
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 08:01:20 AM »

No, not at all - you know me, if I thought it was a pile of crap, I'd say so. Pull the drums back to about 5, take a few of the other overdubs either out or way down and it'd be more to my taste. I've heard a lot, lot worse.

That said - and this is purely me, not a muso by any stretch of the imagination, so feel free to disregard utterly - I've never seen the point of fans (of any band) doing "remixes"*, or thinking "y'know, this might sound better with a sleighbell overdub". In the case of The Beach Boys, that's BRIAN WILSON you're trying to second guess or improve upon. See that "Mona Lisa" ?  Gimme a blue sharpie.  Grin

[* which aren't of course, unless you've got the multitracks under your bed and a period console in the attic, or your surname is Linnet or Boyd - they're just mashups, is all]

smokeythebear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 08:52:10 AM »

Thanks Andrew, yeah i tried to not do it over the top (the mix is pretty rough). The drums are waltz ala "friends", i think thats sort of how Brian must have imagined it. Cant see any other way. The piano is synced up from the original piano he plays basically the whole thing through. From the piano i got the lead on how i think he imagined  the bass part.

Strings are a cello and a viola and a violin.

I know people have are used to hearing it without backing. But just adding in Brians piano turns it into a real song -> https://soundcloud.com/tombjornebark/where-is-she-strings-and-piano  . I don't think this is intended to be heard with just vocals and a snare now and then, its sort of uncompleted, but guessing the missing parts is not rocket science.

Mixing it will come later, i think it should be built up a little more dynamically, first verse without string and marimba etc..
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 09:48:03 AM »

I like it! It reminds me a little bit of "over the waves" from the old landlocked boot.
TopCat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 10:44:15 AM »

I feel sad for Mark Linett when so few can correctly spell his surname. Come on, gang, he's one of the good guys!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 11:27:31 AM »

Very cool. I really dig your work. I like the vibraphone (or is that xylophone?) and the drum style is appropriate. Synth/strings is nice touch as well. I would suggest you do the piano part yourself as Brian's demo isn't consistent enough when it comes to temp, but some light piano chords would be suitable.

You also made this one
https://soundcloud.com/tombjornebark/where-is-she-strings-and-piano

I like that you didn't put your production all over it. For example the bridge should be left (as you have done) mostly untouched, but ye, get rid of Brian's crappy piano playing ;]
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 01:45:56 PM »

I feel sad for Mark Linett when so few can correctly spell his surname. Come on, gang, he's one of the good guys!

I know, dammit - I always get it wrong.  Undecided

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 02:35:49 PM »

Pretty cool effort, a little rough as you noted, but I'd be interested in a 'final' effort.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
zachrwolfe
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 02:42:20 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:39:28 PM by zatch » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 05:10:26 PM »

I know, dammit - I always get it wrong.  Undecided

I'm glad I'm not the only one! Gah, I even look his name up half the time and still get it wrong.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 11:15:19 PM »

I know, dammit - I always get it wrong.  Undecided

I'm glad I'm not the only one! Gah, I even look his name up half the time and still get it wrong.

Sounds like how everyone misspells my name too!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 08:17:32 AM by Eric Aniversario » Logged
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 12:49:31 AM »

Very cool. I really dig your work. I like the vibraphone (or is that xylophone?) and the drum style is appropriate. Synth/strings is nice touch as well. I would suggest you do the piano part yourself as Brian's demo isn't consistent enough when it comes to temp, but some light piano chords would be suitable.

You also made this one
https://soundcloud.com/tombjornebark/where-is-she-strings-and-piano

I like that you didn't put your production all over it. For example the bridge should be left (as you have done) mostly untouched, but ye, get rid of Brian's crappy piano playing ;]

I like this.  I don't think the song needs regular drums.
smokeythebear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2013, 02:04:05 AM »

Yeah im a little split myself when it comes to the drum parts, probably because they are not tight enough (My fault). What speaks for it is the song "friends" which was the approach a was going for. I thought a bit about doing a piano part in the style of breakaway, with that weird harpsichord combination. Have to dive into what depser wrote about that, perhaps a friendly soul could pull that up?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2013, 05:52:10 AM »

I remember how to spell "Linett" by thinking one-two - one "n", two "t"s.  I hope that helps.

And I hereby duly apologise to Eric as I have a feeling I've always spelled his name with two "n"s. Not the "Erinnc" but the "Aniversario" bit.

“We live in divisive times.”
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2013, 06:27:58 AM »

No, not at all - you know me, if I thought it was a pile of crap, I'd say so. Pull the drums back to about 5, take a few of the other overdubs either out or way down and it'd be more to my taste. I've heard a lot, lot worse.

That said - and this is purely me, not a muso by any stretch of the imagination, so feel free to disregard utterly - I've never seen the point of fans (of any band) doing "remixes"*, or thinking "y'know, this might sound better with a sleighbell overdub". In the case of The Beach Boys, that's BRIAN WILSON you're trying to second guess or improve upon. See that "Mona Lisa" ?  Gimme a blue sharpie.  Grin

[* which aren't of course, unless you've got the multitracks under your bed and a period console in the attic, or your surname is Linnet or Boyd - they're just mashups, is all]

THIS. EXACTLY THIS.

Christoph
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2013, 11:30:55 AM »

In terms of drums, I always hear it more as a 6/8 instead of the regular 3/4, the usual waltz rhythm sounds too happy in my ears. I guess Brian would have put some Pet Sounds style percussion on it rather than a full drum set, or at least simply a bassdrum-snare beat without many cymbals or hats.

smokeythebear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2013, 03:13:53 AM »

Yeah you are right about the happy part, perhaps 6/8 is the way to go....
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2013, 08:47:33 AM »

I like where you are going but as others noted, it sounds a bit busy. I kinda like the whole "one man band" idea with the arrangement.

Here's a rough arrangement I had done. I like the acoustic (though it gets messy at the end) and string parts I did but I think I need a do over for everything else  LOL
https://soundcloud.com/andrewhersh/where-is-she
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2013, 04:46:34 PM »

You might be better off just recording your own cover of the song rather than tacking on other tracks to it. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2013, 08:50:38 PM »

Here's a little inspiration:

First, watch the following video.  It is an interview with Paul McCartney where he writes up a song right on the spot called "Shoes":

http://youtu.be/Q_cf19kuNPk

Now check out what this guy does with the song.  Pretty damn awesome:

http://youtu.be/__TToKObzfQ
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 06:02:48 PM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Nothgual
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2013, 01:25:14 PM »

I don't know why you're so hard on yourself.  This is some cool stuff you're doing!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx