gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680725 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 11:43:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Yet another Mike Interview  (Read 17371 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2013, 01:13:39 PM »

This is nice:

http://somethingelsereviews.com/2013/10/13/i-just-wish-he-was-here-the-beach-boys-al-jardine-laments-split-with-mike-love/

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2013, 01:14:55 PM »

I've often taken Mike's comments on the band and its drug use as more of a "Hey...We were a hardass band in our day too just like those other groups!" rather than a dig at group members. Could be wrong.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2013, 01:22:04 PM »

A 6 inch palm tree? Wow, that must have looked like such an impressive stage prop. Spinal Tap would have been proud. Smiley

The funny part is, it probably obscured vision of Al...

That palm tree might have actually BEEN Al!!!!!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2013, 01:23:17 PM »

Well, Dennis went into his intro and slurred something about “the blueboarder Barry Manilow”.

teh blueboard existed in 1981? And Barry Manilow posted there? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

I think it was originally written as a gay slur word "f@$#%&" but was edited and changed to Blueboarder for some reason.

The story, if accurate, is sad example of Dennis' decline.
That's one of the words that is blocked here.
Thanks Billy. Explains that.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2013, 02:48:31 PM »

It's always fascinating what Smileyers will/will-not excuse/overlook. And who they obsess over.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2013, 02:50:29 PM »

It's always fascinating what Smileyers will/will-not excuse/overlook. And who they obsess over.

Nah, never a doubt in your case Cam.  Grin

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
bluesno1fann
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2013, 03:57:12 PM »

Am I supposed to sympathise with Dennis after reading about the incident?
Am I to guess you're not a Dennis fan?

So wait just a second!! Because you're a fan, you forgive Dennis throwing drum sticks into people's faces and hitting old ladies over the head with palm trees, but someone else who's a fan of Mike can't forgive a silly interview?

I think we all should be able to fully understand each other here: we forgive/dismiss a lot from these guys because we are fans.... Good enough for me.
Mike has done worse things than Dennis...
But I don't want to get into another silly discussion anymore. Even I'm getting tired of the Pro Mike/Anti Mike fights
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2013, 04:34:54 PM »

But I don't want to get into another silly discussion anymore. Even I'm getting tired of the Pro Mike/Anti Mike fights

It is silly, isn't it. And ignorant.

It's hard to believe people haven't figured it out yet. On the Asshole Meter, Mike Love has nothing - NOTHING - over Brian Wilson and Dennis Wilson. If you want to get out a piece of paper and draw three columns, one for Mike, one for Dennis, and one for Brian, and start writing down all the negative, regrettable, and abhorrent things each one did in their lives, well the results would be a lot different than many people on this board think - IN MY OPINION. Repeat, in my opinion. But, you, and others, don't want to go there. Believe me, you don't want to go there.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2013, 04:35:05 PM »

Am I supposed to sympathise with Dennis after reading about the incident?
Am I to guess you're not a Dennis fan?

So wait just a second!! Because you're a fan, you forgive Dennis throwing drum sticks into people's faces and hitting old ladies over the head with palm trees, but someone else who's a fan of Mike can't forgive a silly interview?

I think we all should be able to fully understand each other here: we forgive/dismiss a lot from these guys because we are fans.... Good enough for me.

You sure about that??? Need we make a list of Dennis offenses!?

I hate to say it, but such a list would just make Dennis look like, well, a frankly awful person Beach Boy or no Beach Boy.

And I think we're all tired of the pro/anti-Mike thing! it reallty does get in the way of simply enjoying the music.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2013, 12:13:31 AM »

But Dennis' offenses are forgivable because he was under the influence of drugs and alcohol. Ditto for Brian. Right? Now what is Mike's excuse?
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2013, 12:21:17 AM »

But Dennis' offenses are forgivable because he was under the influence of drugs and alcohol. Ditto for Brian. Right? Now what is Mike's excuse?

You're not serious?

I'm no great Mike fan but I can think of a million excuses for Mike's behavior over the years. Deep seated family resentments being the main one. I'm sure everyone on this board has behaved like an arsehole during a family row at some time or another. Our's arent played out in public though.

And as for the Dennis thing, by your argument, a drunken husband who beats up his wife is "forgivable"?

I think not.

You weren't being serious, right?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 12:22:53 AM by (Stephen Newcombe) » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2013, 12:43:54 AM »

I still find it utterly baffling that any fan of The Beach Boys would want to focus on the negative points of any band member. Obviously if you were to focus on the bad behaviour of Mike, Dennis, Brian or any of them then they are going to come out looking like a***holes. Somebody posting a review of Dennis acting like a tosser at a concert is similarly bizarre.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2013, 01:19:13 AM »

Over the years I would say I have seen a pretty even spread of comment here both positive and negative. When POB and Bambu came out a few years ago the board lit up mainly with praise. If its his personal life it goes the other way. That's what we do here.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2013, 01:27:24 AM »

I still find it utterly baffling that any fan of The Beach Boys would want to focus on the negative points of any band member. Obviously if you were to focus on the bad behaviour of Mike, Dennis, Brian or any of them then they are going to come out looking like a***holes. Somebody posting a review of Dennis acting like a tosser at a concert is similarly bizarre.
I find it baffling that a Beach Boy fan would spend so much time being critical of other Beach Boy fans. Grin

But this is good news!  The next Mike interview thread where he talks about the bands' drug abuse will be shorter because you are sticking to "just talking about the music". Good man!  Grin
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 02:41:43 AM by Oregon River Rider » Logged

bluesno1fann
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2013, 02:59:04 AM »

You're not serious?

I'm no great Mike fan but I can think of a million excuses for Mike's behavior over the years. Deep seated family resentments being the main one. I'm sure everyone on this board has behaved like an arsehole during a family row at some time or another. Our's arent played out in public though.

And as for the Dennis thing, by your argument, a drunken husband who beats up his wife is "forgivable"?

I think not.

Didn't Mike also beat up one of his wives?
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2013, 03:53:47 AM »

Mike's not alone unfortunately. Lots of people beat up the partners they supposedly love.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2013, 04:18:50 AM »

You're not serious?

I think not.

I thought he had an affair with his wife's sister? After he didn't attend his father's funeral. No, that was another mistress named Debbie. Before he offered drugs to his children.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2013, 04:54:11 AM »

You're not serious?

I think not.

I thought he had an affair with his wife's sister? After he didn't attend his father's funeral. No, that was another mistress named Debbie. Before he offered drugs to his children.

You are aware today is International Sarcasm Awareness Day? Obviously no one is forcing you to curtail your hilariously inventive contemptious replies, but at least take some time to think of the many victims of sarcasm and cruel ripostes.

I myself will be refraining from any clever remarks today.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2013, 06:13:29 AM »

Ah, you've started the list? Good thing. I'm looking forward to the results. I expect Dave, Al and Carl to end up much lower in your asshole-o-meter than Mike, Brian and Dennis. As for Bruce - did he ever do anything at all?

No, Dennis has done worse things than Mike! (Let's get into a good old-fashioned kindergarten fight!)

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2013, 07:08:58 AM »

No doubt Brian, Dennis, and Michael all rate high on the "A" meter if studied in detail.

Of course Dennis is dead these many years. He can't become more of an "A".

Brian has matured & mellowed considerable. He keeps quiet mostly but the "A" in him could come out -- he is unpredictable...

Mike is "A"live and well, (also mellowed from his youth) but makes an "A" of hisself everytime we turn around it seems. So just wait a while, he will stick his foot in his mouth again.  Wink

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2013, 08:56:18 AM »

Brian has matured & mellowed considerable. He keeps quiet mostly but the "A" in him could come out -- he is unpredictable...

You mean has come out recently.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2013, 10:10:53 AM »

I was at the 1981 show at Greek Theatre and I agree with most of what was written except : The show came to a complete halt after the Bruce Dennis incident because Dennis kicked his complete drum set off the riser onto Mike who had to get out of the way fast.! There was a break there and when the band came back Dennis didn't come out right away.. Funny thing was BB sounded way better than 2 weeks before at Queen Mary Long beach..They redeemed themselves..The sight of Dennis Standing on top of white grand piano waving talkin weird + funny was Priceless  And he was out of control.! The audience was laughing but there was tension also wondering what Dennis was gonna do next.. Ive seen some strange things at concerts but this nite has to rate at top of the list..!
bluesno1fann
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2013, 01:29:57 PM »

Somebody really ought to make an asshole list for Mike, Dennis, and Brian.
I'm curious to see the results
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2013, 01:49:19 PM »

Wouldn't it be easier and better to simply enjoy the music of The Beach Boys?

Seriously: why do you guys insist on trying to screw up everyone's love of the band??

Lately it seems like this place is nothing but an open casting call for the next OSD.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 01:50:28 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2013, 02:18:29 PM »

What for? Everything in Brian's and Dennis' lists would be excused because they had mental illness and substance problems.

I'd rather praise the good work those three made together as a band. Even Mike and Dennis: Pacific Ocean Blues, Only with you and Sound of Free. It makes you wish Dennis had turned more often to Mike for lyrics, instead of Jakobson.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx