gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 01:48:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Yet another Mike Interview  (Read 17433 times)
Nicko1234
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2013, 12:53:33 AM »

I just don't see why Mike has to go there.

Nobody, Al or Brian, dredges up Mike's drunk RnR HOF speech. Or Mike beating up a drunk Dennis into a bloody mess mid show at the Greek in 1981 and then locking him in a closet. Or, or, or.

Because they asked him maybe?  Smiley And the other band members have given much, much worse interviews over the years and said far more critical things...

I honestly don't understand people being bothered about something which is already widely known (the Wilsons' drug use) being mentioned in an interview.

I think it shows the interviewer was right though. He asked whether Mike gets criticism for being one of the non-drug users and immediately the internet is alive with, 'how dare one person confirm the already well know fact that some other people took drugs'.  Smiley
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2013, 01:19:23 AM »

Nobody, Al or Brian, dredges up Mike's drunk RnR HOF speech. Or Mike beating up a drunk Dennis into a bloody mess mid show at the Greek in 1981 and then locking him in a closet. Or, or, or.

Actually, by all accounts it was a "bloody fistfight" and not simply Mike attacking Dennis. Oh, but Dennis is known to have knocked Mike out cold once simply because Mike asked why he'd missed soundcheck... Also, the Dennis being locked in a closet was at a 1979 Universal
Amphitheater incident where Dennis attacked Mike, and it was crew guys who locked him in a closet... I know bashing Mile is the important thing here but you really should read your Stebbins.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2013, 02:13:40 AM »

Actually, by all accounts it was a "bloody fistfight" and not simply Mike attacking Dennis. Oh, but Dennis is known to have knocked Mike out cold once simply because Mike asked why he'd missed soundcheck... Also, the Dennis being locked in a closet was at a 1979 Universal
Amphitheater incident where Dennis attacked Mike, and it was crew guys who locked him in a closet... I know bashing Mile is the important thing here but you really should read your Stebbins.

What a shock. The Mike Love apologists Nicko and Pinder go to bat for the Luvster.

Yup, read all of Stebbins books. Have you?  He has got a chapter in his FAQ book called, "'The Fun Of Hating Mike Love'". Guess you missed that one Pinder.

You miss the point.  It's called hypocrisy. Love luvs to say he is "Mr. Positivity" and all about Good Vibrations but all he does is talk crap.
I'm sure Dennis beat the crap out of Mike every time until Dennis became a drunk and addict.

Anyway, here is a first hand account of the incident, Friday, July 17-1981.  http://manvsclown.wordpress.com/2006/07/21/why-i-hate-mike-love/
Certainly doesn't put Dennis in anything but a sad light:

I just read that Brian, Al & David are touring this summer WITHOUT Mike! One of the dates is in October at LA’s great Greek Theatre. It reminded me of a time long ago when the boys were playing the Greek. In a RARE move, there was an actual pretty cool stage set….With palm trees and surfboards. Dennis showed up in his limo from Venice with a whole group of homeless lads and none of them were feeling any pain. In those days, there were two drum sets on stage, one for Dennis and one for Bobby Figueroa, in case Dennis wondered off. It was a very tense night based upon Dennis and his guests. It was a big deal for the BB to play a real “hard ticket” date in LA at a big theatre…Reviewers were expected. Brian was there…But not really. Anyway, in those days there was a moment in the show where Dennis would introduce Bruce who would sing, “I Write The Songs” with just him on piano. Gave everybody a break. Well, Dennis went into his intro and slurred something about “the f****t Barry Manilow”. Mike dashed on stage, put his arm around his cousin, sorta apologized and then introduced Bruce. Here’s where it got’s funny….Just off stage Mike beat the sh*t out of Dennis. Very bloody. THEN locked him in the scenery closet. Over Bruce’s thin voice and single piano, everyone could hear what was going on. The band, without Dennis, returned to the show and after awhile DW’s friends came looking for him. They found and released him. The look on Mike’s face was PRICELESS when he all the sudden heard the sound of the second set and drums and looked back to see Dennis wearing his trademark BB swag shirt, covered in blood. Soon Dennis was throwing drum sticks at Mike, mostly missing and banging people in the front row. Brian, who hated ANY tension, just got up from the grand piano and walked off stage. THEN Dennis picked up one of the 6 inch palm trees and tossing it, missed Mike and hit a lady fan square on her face in the crowd. At that point, Mike just walked off in the middle of “Fun, Fun, Fun” and went to his car underneath the stage and left. That’s how the BB Greek Theatre show in Los Angeles ended.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Nicko1234
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2013, 02:41:26 AM »

What a shock. The Mike Love apologists Nicko and Pinder go to bat for the Luvster.

Yup, read all of Stebbins books. Have you?  He has got a chapter in his FAQ book called, "'The Fun Of Hating Mike Love'". Guess you missed that one Pinder.

Batting for him? LOL

An interviewer asks him a question about the Wilsons' drug use and he answers it. Shock horror. The evil bastard. How dare he?

'The Fun of Hating Mike Love'? Must have missed that one. Smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2013, 02:49:23 AM »

You miss the point.  It's called hypocrisy. Love luvs to say he is "Mr. Positivity" and all about Good Vibrations but all he does is talk crap.
I'm sure Dennis beat the crap out of Mike every time until Dennis became a drunk and addict.

Anyway, here is a first hand account of the incident, Friday, July 17-1981.  http://manvsclown.wordpress.com/2006/07/21/why-i-hate-mike-love/

I just read that Brian, Al & David are touring this summer WITHOUT Mike! One of the dates is in October at LA’s great Greek Theatre. It reminded me of a time long ago when the boys were playing the Greek. In a RARE move, there was an actual pretty cool stage set….With palm trees and surfboards. Dennis showed up in his limo from Venice with a whole group of homeless lads and none of them were feeling any pain. In those days, there were two drum sets on stage, one for Dennis and one for Bobby Figueroa, in case Dennis wondered off. It was a very tense night based upon Dennis and his guests. It was a big deal for the BB to play a real “hard ticket” date in LA at a big theatre…Reviewers were expected. Brian was there…But not really. Anyway, in those days there was a moment in the show where Dennis would introduce Bruce who would sing, “I Write The Songs” with just him on piano. Gave everybody a break. Well, Dennis went into his intro and slurred something about “the blueboarder Barry Manilow”. Mike dashed on stage, put his arm around his cousin, sorta apologized and then introduced Bruce. Here’s where it got’s funny….Just off stage Mike beat the sh*t out of Dennis. Very bloody. THEN locked him in the scenery closet. Over Bruce’s thin voice and single piano, everyone could hear what was going on. The band, without Dennis, returned to the show and after awhile DW’s friends came looking for him. They found and released him. The look on Mike’s face was PRICELESS when he all the sudden heard the sound of the second set and drums and looked back to see Dennis wearing his trademark BB swag shirt, covered in blood. Soon Dennis was throwing drum sticks at Mike, mostly missing and banging people in the front row. Brian, who hated ANY tension, just got up from the grand piano and walked off stage. THEN Dennis picked up one of the 6 inch palm trees and tossing it, missed Mike and hit a lady fan square on her face in the crowd. At that point, Mike just walked off in the middle of “Fun, Fun, Fun” and went to his car underneath the stage and left. That’s how the BB Greek Theatre show in Los Angeles ended.

But you guys are so out of control that one does not have to be anything close to a Mike Love apologist to point out the gapping holes in your story. It just takes being a mere human who can read. Hey, and at least I can say I love THE BEACH BOYS and can mean it.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2013, 04:26:43 AM »

Why's he still so bitter and judgmental about the drugs anyway? You'd have thought the discovery that LSD had a hand in the conception of one of the group's greatest commercial successes might've opened his mind a bit.

If he could only apply a little of his TM mindset and learn to ACCEPT that Brian did drugs and that it's in the past, then maybe he'd find it easier to answer with a bit more dignity eg. "That's Brian's business" or "No comment". Of course he's entitled to air his opinions but when those opinions come across as narrow minded bigotry then he deserves all the bad press he gets.

I've always kept clear of the ML bashing threads (and pro Mike Love revisionist threads) because I know he has a lot of fans here but they seem to be an increasing staple of the board, maybe because the man himself keeps doing and saying stupid things. So my 2c: The 50th anniversary tour was a great opportunity for Mike to improve his reputation. He was great in the show, and apparently very helpful to those putting MIC together, for which I'm grateful, but all the other stuff just cemented my negative opinion of him.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 04:28:35 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2013, 04:46:17 AM »

Am I supposed to sympathise with Dennis after reading about the incident?

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
bluesno1fann
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2013, 04:50:16 AM »

Am I to guess you're not a Dennis fan?
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2013, 04:54:00 AM »

I love all of his Beach Boys tracks between 68 and 73 and I like POB and Bambu a lot. I suppose I'm a fan.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
bluesno1fann
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2013, 04:55:25 AM »

I love all of his Beach Boys tracks between 68 and 73 and I like POB and Bambu a lot. I suppose I'm a fan.

Okay. Fair enough
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2013, 05:33:24 AM »

I just read that Brian, Al & David are touring this summer WITHOUT Mike! One of the dates is in October at LA’s great Greek Theatre. It reminded me of a time long ago when the boys were playing the Greek. In a RARE move, there was an actual pretty cool stage set….With palm trees and surfboards. Dennis showed up in his limo from Venice with a whole group of homeless lads and none of them were feeling any pain. In those days, there were two drum sets on stage, one for Dennis and one for Bobby Figueroa, in case Dennis wondered off. It was a very tense night based upon Dennis and his guests. It was a big deal for the BB to play a real “hard ticket” date in LA at a big theatre…Reviewers were expected. Brian was there…But not really. Anyway, in those days there was a moment in the show where Dennis would introduce Bruce who would sing, “I Write The Songs” with just him on piano. Gave everybody a break. Well, Dennis went into his intro and slurred something about “the blueboarder Barry Manilow”. Mike dashed on stage, put his arm around his cousin, sorta apologized and then introduced Bruce. Here’s where it got’s funny….Just off stage Mike beat the sh*t out of Dennis. Very bloody. THEN locked him in the scenery closet. Over Bruce’s thin voice and single piano, everyone could hear what was going on. The band, without Dennis, returned to the show and after awhile DW’s friends came looking for him. They found and released him. The look on Mike’s face was PRICELESS when he all the sudden heard the sound of the second set and drums and looked back to see Dennis wearing his trademark BB swag shirt, covered in blood. Soon Dennis was throwing drum sticks at Mike, mostly missing and banging people in the front row. Brian, who hated ANY tension, just got up from the grand piano and walked off stage. THEN Dennis picked up one of the 6 inch palm trees and tossing it, missed Mike and hit a lady fan square on her face in the crowd. At that point, Mike just walked off in the middle of “Fun, Fun, Fun” and went to his car underneath the stage and left. That’s how the BB Greek Theatre show in Los Angeles ended.

Mike threw a 6 inch palm tree into a lady fan's face? Man, you've been right all the time! Mike is evil!

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Nicko1234
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2013, 05:56:31 AM »

A 6 inch palm tree? Wow, that must have looked like such an impressive stage prop. Spinal Tap would have been proud. Smiley
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2013, 06:19:36 AM »

Mike has given some crass and tone-deaf interviews over the years, but I see nothing particularly offensive about this one.

During the reunion tour, Mike learns, 47 years after the fact,  that Brian's intro to 'California Girls' -- 'California Girls', Mike's pride and joy -- was influenced by LSD. That's interesting, no? I mean, what does the anti-drug Mike think about this information? Why is this not a proper interview topic for Mike to expound upon? Brian's drug use and abuse is part of the historical record, after all.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 12:51:04 PM by clack » Logged
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2013, 07:06:51 AM »

It might be ironic to Mike that Brian stayed rich for so many decades off his efforts to a large extent

Well fair's fair, given that Mike *got* rich for so many decades off Brian's efforts to a large extent.  :-)

(Not that I'm underrating Mike's contributions, of course.  But hey, someone had to set his deathless lyrics to music, and that music did seem to have a bit of an effect...)

and now gets treated like a God for basically showing up and doing nothing...

Yeah, it may well rankle him a bit that people will pay tribute to a guy for having created the music even without him having to sing every song himself, yeah.  Course, it's that plus having people just being glad he's still breathing, let alone creating, after a couple of decades of life-threatening mental illness, malpractice, and self-medication.  Wonder if Mike's ever contemplated making people feel grateful he's still alive.  :-)

Hey, while we're playing fun games:  in the Pet Sounds setlist at the Greek, which were there more of -- Brian Wilson lead vocals, or Mike Love song credits?...

Sorry, folks, had a bitch of a day,
Jon Blum
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 07:09:47 AM by Jonathan Blum » Logged
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2013, 07:07:42 AM »

yaaawwwwwnnnnn.

Yes indeedy. Just Mike Love being his good old Mike Love Selfie.

Nothing to see here folks. Move along.

Oh, so you're the people who get to censor what I post. I was wondering who they were.

Look., if you're that bored with the interviews or news stories I post, don't read them.  Mike talked to an interviewer. It was in my newsfeed and I shared it. It's not my fault that AGD's topic generated a 34 page pissing match.  And, before you accuse me of having a go at Mike, I have also shared Al's interviews and started the Brian biopic thread because I thought Beach Boys fans might actually be interested in the things that are in the news currently. You know, as opposed to just dissecting every note of the 15th take of some vocal fragment recorded in the summer of '66 in Dennis' girlfriend's basement or something.

This "discussion forum" has a curious way of shutting down any actual discussion. If it's not argumentative around here, it's dismissive.

Chill. You are misunderstanding the gist of my post which is basically: Mike never changes.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2013, 07:14:42 AM »

yaaawwwwwnnnnn.

Oh, so you're the people who get to censor what I post. I was wondering who they were.

Look., if you're that bored with the interviews or news stories I post, don't read them.  Mike talked to an interviewer. It was in my newsfeed and I shared it. It's not my fault that AGD's topic generated a 34 page pissing match.  And, before you accuse me of having a go at Mike, I have also shared Al's interviews and started the Brian biopic thread because I thought Beach Boys fans might actually be interested in the things that are in the news currently. You know, as opposed to just dissecting every note of the 15th take of some vocal fragment recorded in the summer of '66 in Dennis' girlfriend's basement or something.

This "discussion forum" has a curious way of shutting down any actual discussion. If it's not argumentative around here, it's dismissive.

Chill. You are misunderstanding the gist of my post which is basically: Mike never changes.

Ah. Apologies then. And, agreed.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2013, 07:51:44 AM »

yaaawwwwwnnnnn.

Ah. Apologies then. And, agreed.

Smiley

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2013, 08:15:42 AM »

You guys have to work overtime if you expect to catch up to the epic 30 plus pages the last Mike interview inspired ,

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2013, 10:28:29 AM »

It might be ironic to Mike that Brian stayed rich for so many decades off his efforts to a large extent

Well fair's fair, given that Mike *got* rich for so many decades off Brian's efforts to a large extent.  :-)

(Not that I'm underrating Mike's contributions, of course.  But hey, someone had to set his deathless lyrics to music, and that music did seem to have a bit of an effect...)

and now gets treated like a God for basically showing up and doing nothing...

Yeah, it may well rankle him a bit that people will pay tribute to a guy for having created the music even without him having to sing every song himself, yeah.  Course, it's that plus having people just being glad he's still breathing, let alone creating, after a couple of decades of life-threatening mental illness, malpractice, and self-medication.  Wonder if Mike's ever contemplated making people feel grateful he's still alive.  :-)

Hey, while we're playing fun games:  in the Pet Sounds setlist at the Greek, which were there more of -- Brian Wilson lead vocals, or Mike Love song credits?...

Sorry, folks, had a bitch of a day,
Jon Blum

Well, "excepting Pet Sounds" I should have said. I think we all can agree Pet Sounds is Brian's baby all around and no one can touch that fact.... But it's only one album out of many and it's not everyone's favorite....
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2013, 10:45:30 AM »

So wait just a second!! Because you're a fan, you forgive Dennis throwing drum sticks into people's faces and hitting old ladies over the head with palm trees, but someone else who's a fan of Mike can't forgive a silly interview?

I think we all should be able to fully understand each other here: we forgive/dismiss a lot from these guys because we are fans.... Good enough for me.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2013, 11:12:02 AM »

Well, Dennis went into his intro and slurred something about “the blueboarder Barry Manilow”.

teh blueboard existed in 1981? And Barry Manilow posted there? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2013, 12:08:35 PM »

So wait just a second!! Because you're a fan, you forgive Dennis throwing drum sticks into people's faces and hitting old ladies over the head with palm trees, but someone else who's a fan of Mike can't forgive a silly interview?

I think we all should be able to fully understand each other here: we forgive/dismiss a lot from these guys because we are fans.... Good enough for me.
You keep missing the point, Pinder: Mike is Satan. The few good things he has done over the years was just in an effort to fool people into believing he's NOT Satan. We should all be wishing Dennis had pulled out an AK-47 at that Greek Theater show years ago, and blown the evil Lovester away, then and there, in front of all the fans. Dennis would not have to worry about going to prison for murder, because he would've been a hero for ridding the world of evil. He would've been awarded a Medal of Honor for killing that scumbag.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2013, 12:16:00 PM »

Well, Dennis went into his intro and slurred something about “the blueboarder Barry Manilow”.

teh blueboard existed in 1981? And Barry Manilow posted there? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

I think it was originally written as a gay slur word "f@$#%&" but was edited and changed to Blueboarder for some reason.

The story, if accurate, is sad example of Dennis' decline.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 01:06:28 PM by Oregon River Rider » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2013, 01:04:32 PM »

A 6 inch palm tree? Wow, that must have looked like such an impressive stage prop. Spinal Tap would have been proud. Smiley

The funny part is, it probably obscured vision of Al...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2013, 01:07:01 PM »

I think it was originally written as a gay slur word "f@$#%&" but was edited and changed to Blueboarder for some reason.

The story, if accurate, is sad example of Dennis' decline.
That's one of the words that is blocked here.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx