gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:29:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Crosby, Stills & Nash (and Young) - Favorite songs?  (Read 3720 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2013, 11:23:47 PM »

While I've long been aware of the hits of CSN and CSNY, I've only recently realized how amazing these guys are (and still!  All four of them played together at Neil Young's most recent Bridge School Benefit concert and sounded great).  I don't really have much to say at the moment but I figured I'd start a discussion with the fellow music lovers on this board and perhaps we can discuss our favorite songs and not just those of the trio or sometimes quartet (or less notably, a duo as Crosby & Nash though there's great music to be found there as well), but also those of the individual musicians and the other bands and projects they participated in because there's no doubt that these guys have had some incredible careers, both as a group, individually, or with groups such as Buffalo Springfield, The Hollies, and The Byrds.

Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 11:42:05 PM »

My favorites are Marakesh Express and Suite Judy Blue Eyes. Love those. I'm probably in the minority that I prefer CSN to CSNY.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 08:24:13 AM by krabklaw » Logged

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 12:41:31 PM »

This Old House, actually.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 01:18:14 PM »

I prefer The Byrds, Hollies, & Buffalo Springfield, but...

Marrakesh Express.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Dead Parrot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 01:24:07 PM »

Crosby -
Everybody's Been Burned
Cowboy Movie
Compass

Stills -
For What It's Worth
Suite: Judy Blue Eyes
We Are Not Helpless

Nash -
King Midas In Reverse
Cathedral
Grave Concern
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 01:25:07 PM by Dead Parrot » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 11:30:24 PM »

CSN (and sometimes Y) were a group that were so omnipresent for many years, that it was easy to grow tired of them, but they made music that has obviously stood the test of time. Teach Your Children is my favorite, partly because I love good pedal steel, and Southern Cross is one I always enjoy when it's on the radio. Also Graham's Chicago, and Neil's....well, Mr. Young deserves a thread all to himself.
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 11:38:48 PM »

Southern Cross, Wasted On The Way and American Dream  Cool Guy

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 10:25:07 AM »

Crosby -- "Lady Friend" (Byrds), "Deja Vu" (CSNY)

Stills -- "Rock and Roll Woman" (Buffalo Springfield), "Old Times Good Times" (1st solo w/ Jimi Hendrix), pretty much the whole 1st Manassas LP.

Nash -- Whichever of the Hollies hits he wrote, "Marakesh Express".

Young -- "Mr. Soul," "On the Way Home" (Buffalo Springfield), "Winterlong," "When You Dance I Can Really Love," "Powderfinger," "Love to Burn" (all solo), "Country Girl" (CSNY)

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 04:15:20 AM »

Wooden Ships

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 05:59:28 PM »

Judy Blue Eyes.. Pre Road Downs.. Wooden Ships.. Carry On.. Cathedral.. Southern Cross.. Wasted On The way..Long Time Gone..  Delta.. Dark Star.. Helpless.. Sea Of Madness.. I Give You Give Blind..Chicago.. Tell Me Why..
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 02:45:12 PM »

I'm more into Neil Young and Buffalo Springfield; with Richie Furay as my second favourite of the 3 superpowers in that band. I haven't really heard a lot of CSN(&Y) although I'd like to hear more aside from "Ohio" and "Helpless", which are both great. I suppose my favourite after those would be "Slowpoke". Passed on the chance to see CSN on the very recent UK tour, yet I'd jump at the chance if it were CSNY. Might pick up a CSN album and put aside my qualms.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 05:02:15 PM »

Been watching a lot of them live on YouTube from over the years.     a lot of good stuff I had never heard.  I suggest a YouTube visit to check all of that out.  Steven is a real hotshot guitarist and those different vocal arrangements they use rival only the Beachboys in richness.

Guinniverre live is simply hypnotic.
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 10:17:52 PM »

Geeze, don't get me started. I think I know every note of Suite Judy Blue Eyes. Used to listen to these guys incessantly in high school.

And as donald noted above, for those less familiar with their work, my older self finds this song to be a particular gem. One of the most sublime songs ever, with harmonies even the BB's would admire.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez9bXTY35eY

« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 10:22:10 PM by SMiLE-addict » Logged
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 10:28:06 PM »

A few more of my favorites, aside from stuff not already mentioned:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBOL76v5xx8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVDY2ja0mZc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILeV_0GiUBY
Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 07:35:23 PM »

I woke up this morning with "Our House" stuck in my head. What a nice little song. "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes" ,"Guinnevere" , "Marakesh Express" and "Helpless" are all great as well. However, despite how good these guys are, I'd rather listen to The Byrds or The Hollies. I'm not ashamed to say that I like that more pop oriented sound those other groups had. CSN(Y) were a bit more serious, which is great, but not always the sound for me.

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2013, 04:07:26 PM »

Vegetable man, I have to tell you that I am a huge fan of the three bands that spawned CSN.  I have an unusually large collection of Hollies Vinyl and own both Byrds box sets.  also own the entire Springfield catalogue.  so, to me, this is indeed a super group.    while David was not THE key player with the Byrds, he did have THE voice.  and he brought that to CSN.
Same with Graham, Alan Clarke's substantial talent and excellent vocals not withstanding.  Stephen brought his edgy voice and substantial musicianship to complete the package.
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2014, 10:10:55 PM »

I love a lot of their stuff collectively and apart, but my favorite CSNY tune is probably "Carry On" and I just love the Deja Vu album. I pretty much love every song on it and on their first album before Neil.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2014, 11:00:45 PM »

I've always loved Southern Cross. Another song that I really like is It Won't Go Away, which is a very underrated and overlooked song by Stephen Stills. David Crosby's Delta from the Daylight Again album is one of the prettiest songs I've ever heard.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2014, 06:28:29 PM »

Saw CSN March 7.   great show.   did some very nice newer material,old material, and solo material.  willy IS the glue.  Almost a 3 hour show.  Go see me on this tour if u can!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2014, 01:47:28 AM »

Love the solo Crosby album (If Only I Could Remember My Name). In fact, there have been times when I was utterly obsessed with it.

My favourite Neil Young album is Zuma, largely on the strength of the ominously understated (and incomplete) "Cortez The Killer".

The Graham Nash song that stands out for me is "I Used To Be A King" from his first solo album. Love Jerry Garcia's pedal steel on that one.

As for Mr Stills, his debut solo album and the first with Manassas are the ones for me...   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2014, 03:49:15 PM »

I've got (nearly) everything from a ton of boots to Stills' Right By You to the latest Croz.

Crosby has scattered jazz-inflected gems throughout his career. Time is the Final Currency from the first CPR jeff is an underrated beauty.

Stills had one of the hottest hot streaks ever, from 1966 to 1975, then sadly tailed off as the lifestyle caught up with him. How good was he? His side-project's outtakes (Manassas' Pieces, recently issued on CD) is miles better than most bands manage in a lifetime.

I'm not a huge Nash fan, compared to the other 2 (3). really can't stand Our House and Teach Your Children. Lady of the Island is a bit poor. After the good songs he wrote on CSN 1977 (Cathedral, Cold Rain) he kinda lost it. Some good moments on Looking Forward though.

Songs for Beginners is great, as is most of Wild Tales. Taken At All is superb. Check out the CSNY version. Cathedral is a masterpiece, of course.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx