gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 03:26:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Survivor #8 WINNER!!!: California Girls  (Read 45045 times)
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #325 on: November 14, 2013, 05:01:39 AM »

NO WAY is Let Him Run Wild the best song on this album...

CALIFORNIA GIRLS!!!!!!
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 14, 2013, 06:01:34 AM »

Help Me, Rhonda (single version)

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 14, 2013, 06:44:47 AM »

California Girls
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 11:25:12 AM by Matt H » Logged
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 14, 2013, 08:24:52 AM »

Help Me, Rhonda
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 14, 2013, 08:49:07 AM »

California Girls.
beacharg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: November 14, 2013, 10:06:18 AM »

California Girls!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 14, 2013, 10:24:21 AM »

My favorite of those left -- "Help Me Rhonda."
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 14, 2013, 11:10:27 AM »

California Girls

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
dynomike
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 14, 2013, 04:06:37 PM »

I would hate to live in a world that didn't have California Girls, I mean those opening chords are the best ever, but ...

Let Him Run Wild pulls on my heartstrings every time.  LHRW FTW
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 14, 2013, 07:50:30 PM »

Wow it seems like this is going to be close.

I think I am going to choose

Eenie meanie miney....

LET HIM RUN WILD

depending on the time of day my vote would probably change.
Just have to pick one.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 14, 2013, 08:40:31 PM »

Help Me, Rhonda

SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 14, 2013, 08:54:20 PM »

Cal Girls.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 15, 2013, 12:03:52 AM »

Whew… I can't believe that Cal Girls isn't running away with this. It's not just a top BBs song, it's an all-time classic, by anyone, throughout the entire rock n pop era.

“We live in divisive times.”
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 15, 2013, 12:08:59 AM »

That's true John, but I just don't find the bulk of the song that exciting. I'd vote Help Me Rhonda over it any day.

But my absolute favourite on the album is Let Him Run Wild.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
bluesno1fann
« Reply #339 on: November 15, 2013, 12:10:02 AM »

Whew… I can't believe that Cal Girls isn't running away with this. It's not just a top BBs song, it's an all-time classic, by anyone, throughout the entire rock n pop era.
And flogged to death.
Besides, Let Him Run Wild is much better, and one of the few instances where the B-side is superior to the A-side single!
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 15, 2013, 08:59:40 AM »

Help Me Rhonda
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: November 15, 2013, 03:43:43 PM »

And flogged to death.
Besides, Let Him Run Wild is much better, and one of the few instances where the B-side is superior to the A-side single!

"Flogged to death" shouldn't be a consideration if you're judging the song on its merits. And LHRW isn't of the same stellar standard… even BW's with me on that…! Smiley

“We live in divisive times.”
bluesno1fann
« Reply #342 on: November 15, 2013, 04:11:22 PM »

And flogged to death.

even BW's with me on that…! Smiley
I wouldn't trust Brian on solid opinions. He is notorious for constantly changing favourites and opinions - with the notable exception of Be My Baby - and one day he can say LHRW is his favourite, the next, California Girls!
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 15, 2013, 08:44:48 PM »

"Carlifornia Girls".  The vocals on that chorus just seem so unique to me--it's a unique BBs blend like no other.

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: November 15, 2013, 10:37:28 PM »

California Gurls
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #345 on: November 15, 2013, 11:49:22 PM »

And flogged to death.

"Flogged to death" shouldn't be a consideration if you're judging the song on its merits. And LHRW isn't of the same stellar standard… even BW's with me on that…! Smiley

Absolutely true. I mean, is Good Vibrations going to get voted out early on the Smiley Smile round because it's been flogged to death? I thought we were judging the songs on their own original merits, not on how much the songs have or haven't been played since...
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: November 15, 2013, 11:56:40 PM »

And flogged to death.

Absolutely true. I mean, is Good Vibrations going to get voted out early on the Smiley Smile round because it's been flogged to death? I thought we were judging the songs on their own original merits, not on how much the songs have or haven't been played since...

Yes but this is about personal preference as I understand it and so over-exposed songs such as cal girls may suffer.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: November 16, 2013, 02:02:57 AM »

I personally meant no slight on California Girls by voting for Let Him Run Wild. They're both among the greatest Beach Boys songs, and therefore among the greatest 20th century pop songs by anyone.

I may have been biased because I predicted LHRW would win and I want to keep my 100% record. But I probably would have given LHRW the edge anyhow.

Incidentally, it's not all that uncommon in Beach Boys World for a flipside to be superior to a topside. Some (not necessarily me) might make such a case for all the following singles:

Be True To Your School/In My Room
Fun, Fun, Fun/Why Do Fools Fall In Love
I Get Around/Don't Worry, Baby
When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)/She Knows Me Too Well
Dance, Dance, Dance/The Warmth Of The Sun
Barbara Ann/Girl Don't Tell Me
Wouldn't It Be Nice/God Only Knows
Slip On Through/This Whole World
Tears In The Morning/It's About Time
Cool, Cool Water/Forever
Long Promised Road/'Til I Die

Thanks to AGD's Bellagio Whatsitsname site for the above.

Please delete my account
bluesno1fann
« Reply #348 on: November 16, 2013, 02:28:16 AM »

I personally meant no slight on California Girls by voting for Let Him Run Wild. They're both among the greatest Beach Boys songs, and therefore among the greatest 20th century pop songs by anyone.

I may have been biased because I predicted LHRW would win and I want to keep my 100% record. But I probably would have given LHRW the edge anyhow.

Incidentally, it's not all that uncommon in Beach Boys World for a flipside to be superior to a topside. Some (not necessarily me) might make such a case for all the following singles:

Cool, Cool Water/Forever

Other than Slip On Through/This Whole World, I totally agree with you!
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #349 on: November 16, 2013, 03:38:26 AM »

Cool, Cool Water/Forever

I prefer Fun Fun Fun to WDFFIL and I prefer Slip On Through to This Whole World, otherwise yes, agreed - every one of those B-sides is better than the A-side, some more than others.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx