-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:15:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  where would we all be if not for 'smiley smile' board?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: where would we all be if not for 'smiley smile' board?  (Read 15133 times)
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2013, 07:48:42 AM »

huh - it looks like there is still some level of activity over at the cabinessence forum. I wonder why - I mean, what's the point of having two sites? Smiley smile seems to be the be all and end all unless you're a die hard "brianista" and you post at brianwilson.com....
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2013, 07:54:24 AM »

While I miss the old Smile Shop, because of the intrique and mystery of Smile before and during the bootleg leakage of tracks and the endless speculation and promise of possible revelations always in the air, I feel there are many more educated and knowledgeable fans capable of discussing every aspect of the Beach Boys catalogue and career here than there were on the Smile shop board - of course, there are many more people here than ever populated the Smile shop. 
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2013, 10:01:56 AM »

Remember the Shut Down II board? I found that at the same time I discovered this place and used to frequent both for a while. Last time I checked the site had whittled down to 3 people and one of them was the board's owner.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2013, 10:09:22 AM »

I would be a miserable wreck, walking the streets and shooting up heroin, I would lose the will to live and end up face down in the dumpster looking for food, and thrown into a paupers grave while no one would know who I was... then I would stand in front of God and ask Him "Why wasn't there a smiley smile board?" and then ask Him to snuff out my soul so that it didn't exist anymore.. I simple refuse to exist with out this board,,, LOL
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 10:10:37 AM by joshferrell » Logged
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2013, 12:20:24 PM »

I would much prefer if the Smiley board didn't exist and the Cabinesesnce board still did ... this is a pale shadow of the original.
I was just reading on one of the archives at surfermoon.com this morning.  Yeah, you were there.  To answer the OP, I used to read a lot of reviews at assorted Amazon sites, YOU-(videos here)TUB, Steve's place, lots of artist's sites (Laura Nyro, John Martyn, Beatles, Iron and Wine/Sam Beam, Jimmy Webb, ect. - many good ones out there), and there is a site for re-issues called Second Disc.  I still do move around the net, but this is a fun place, and has gotten much more of my time in the past two years.  I've only owned a computer since 2006.  One of the first searches I made was Beach Boys.  On that, I have never seen a better site than here.  And a lot of the old posters of which you speak, are here.
EDIT:  26 November, and I'm enjoying the first snow of the season here in Ulster, New York.  I moved to the East for that, more than any other reason.  
Now that I've been posting for a couple of months...there have been growing pains, a few pain-in-the-ass folks, and some just plain crazy folks.  But the good far out-weighs the bad.  Some very interesting minds merge at SmileySmile.  I'm learning a lot, though not much in this Sandbox... Roll Eyes  

« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 05:46:22 AM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2013, 12:28:37 PM »

Without this board, I'd prolly be still stuck on the BlueBoard.... Wall

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2013, 12:48:31 PM »

If this wasn't here, many of us would be on one of the older or other sites.  I think posters gradually gravitated to one site (this one) that seemed to have more posters, honored guests, and variety of discussions.  I used to enjoy the old Cabin, and spent many pleasant late evening hours in the chat room.  Met up with some folks there for the Pet Sounds tour in 2000.  Susan did a great job with the Shut Down II site.  I stopped posting for a time while my life was focused on other things.  When I returned, most folks were here.  Also, some episodes when some of the sites were off line happened during times when there was a lot of BB activity to discuss and the site/s that were available captured some folks that may have been regulars elsewhere.  This place is like a bar where you can drop in and chat with whichever old friends happen to be there at the time.  Some folks went to Ians place.  I went there a few times but my habit is to stop in  right here.   Sometimes I wonder where this will go and when this it will end.................I hope not for a long time.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2013, 03:35:55 PM »

i have no life so nowhere
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2013, 05:54:48 PM »

I would actually have to get out of the house and make some friends!  My God, I don't even know how to do that anymore!!   Undecided

Seriously though, the Smile Shop was a pretty cool place....for awhile.  Seems like after all the hub-bub about BWPS died down, it got kinda weird.   I got into a few skirmishes, and I'm a pretty mellow guy!

I guess I missed the whole Cabinessense thing.  I don't even remember ever dropping in on it. 
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2013, 05:57:28 PM »

it got kinda weird

That's an understatement.  Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2013, 07:21:04 PM »

The single biggest failing of this board ? We only see the smallest facet of each others real personas - the (literally) fanatical part. Would be fun, and I think instructive, to organize a one-time SS convention. I'd be there.

Invercargill, New Zealand, July 2014.

Its the southern hemispheres turn for something!!

Las Vegas, NV

The obvious venue is David Mark's old house in Hawthorne, CA.

Don't you mean Inglewood?
Marcella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2013, 07:47:59 PM »

Would be fun, and I think instructive, to organize a one-time SS convention. I'd be there.

Hear hear. Guess it was have to be in Las Vegas....too bad I live in New Jersey and have a baby girl about to be born...would love to meet the big posters in person. I see name tags with our SmileySmile "handles"....that would be fun!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2013, 07:54:12 PM »

Huh - it looks like there is still some level of activity over at the cabinessence forum.

Yeah, every couple of weeks somebody posts there.  I think it's safe to say............it's DEAD!   Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2013, 08:08:33 PM »

Huh - it looks like there is still some level of activity over at the cabinessence forum.

Yeah, every couple of weeks somebody posts there.  I think it's safe to say............it's DEAD!   Grin

That is not something to mock, that is something to mourn.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2013, 10:49:25 PM »

Nah. You see Andy, nobody is really mourning its loss. I posted on that board for 13 years and made some good friends there. But I don't miss it.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2013, 11:27:42 PM »

Nah. You see Andy, nobody is really mourning its loss. I posted on that board for 13 years and made some good friends there. But I don't miss it.

I do.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2013, 12:00:03 AM »

Stainforth UK.

We have a nice village hall, the ladies might make tea and cakes, and the salmon are leaping on the foss at the moment.

That last factor might be key in enticing Al to be special guest.

Oh, and the pub re-opened last week after a four-month closure.

If a UK meet is organised, so long as it's at a weekend/in the break between semesters, I'm in!

What's semester? Is it like a seamstress?

“We live in divisive times.”
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2013, 12:39:57 AM »

Stainforth UK.

We have a nice village hall, the ladies might make tea and cakes, and the salmon are leaping on the foss at the moment.

If a UK meet is organised, so long as it's at a weekend/in the break between semesters, I'm in!

What's semester? Is it like a seamstress?

Term times basically. Though for some reason they call it a semester at uni, go figure. I break for Christmas and then in may for summer

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2013, 08:30:06 AM »

I do.

Why? With the exception of a handful of posters who never migrated here from there, how is that board different or any better than this one? All the key players are here.

Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2013, 09:02:14 AM »

Stainforth UK.

Oh hecks yes, I'd be there (in fact, I'd gladly make the tea and cakes).

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
hardylane
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2013, 05:05:35 AM »

I've only just found it.... how weird is that?

Annie
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2013, 12:19:09 PM »

I'd like to add that I'd be a poorer man musically had I not  connected with folks here and on other BB sites over the years.   Just for the record, I want to thank each and every person who has provided me either directly or indirectly with connections to the music of the band that I would not otherwise have had.  I have received "gifts" both directly and annonomously from a number of BB fans over the years.  Some are no longer with us, such as the late great Greg Larson.  Some don't visit often enough.  But I sincerely thank you one and all. 
RioGrande
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2013, 10:50:43 PM »

Quote from: RealityCheck
You guys must be kidding. This board is dominated (and moderated, by explicit confession) by the Kokomaoists. Here you get vilified and banned if you don't conform, see that Old Surfer guy.
Where would we all be without this board? There would be another, much more balanced one. Maybe cabinessence.net itself.
Don't know where you guys would be. I'd be in a non-BB board talking of anything else. Not that much of a BB fan (not everyone buys so much into that surf 'n' cars stuff), but as I CAN tell a note from a rat I admire BW as a songwriter and notice that you are trying to rewrite basic music history here. Shite, reading most of the posts here one would think that BW was the drugged nuisance who thwarted ML's genius. No worry though, there have always been the guys who side with Salieri against Mozart. The world, and history, laugh them off.
And, "Pinder", I don't think you ever owned a mellotron. Smokin
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 04:08:02 AM by RioGrande » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2013, 10:54:52 PM »

I'd probably be uncovering a fucking cornfield or something.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2013, 08:08:26 AM »

I dread even thinking about non-existence of Smiley Smile board. People of it are my friends, all of them. That said, without being aware of this place, I lived fine. Only with less musical view/knowledge of 60s-70s stuff.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: