gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:06:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reaching The Higher Echelon of Beach Boy Fandom  (Read 11113 times)
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2013, 04:31:07 AM »

It was hearing Smile that got me here. I though it was the most interesting music I had ever heard, and after seeing a C50 show, I was completely hooked on BB music. My headphones function like an IV line, constantly letting it stream into my body.

Smile brought me here. What brought YOU here?

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 04:37:26 AM »

The linguistic artistry of Phil Cohen.

Oh, and some funny little tunes done by one Brian Wilson, although there's this cousin of his who's been worming his way into Wilson's work so that he'll be seen as the true and only creator of said work by 2020 or so.

I hope this helps.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 04:46:56 AM »

Good Vibes.

“We live in divisive times.”
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 04:47:11 AM »

The MUSIC, man!

Also, I was searching the net for some technical details (HOW did they get that snare sound on Do It Again?) and found my way to Stephen Desper Thread. Never looked back, baby!

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 06:01:34 AM »

My older sisters record collection, back in the 70s. You know how it is, younger brothers nosing around the elder siblings bedroom... and BINGO, there it was. An EMI reissue of the All Summer Long album  Shocked

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 06:10:51 AM »

What brought YOU here?

Endless Summer in 1974-75 hooked me. The Brian Is Back campaign that followed sealed the deal.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 06:17:29 AM »

"Surfin' USA" being played incessantly on the radio in 1963.

Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 06:23:30 AM »

I became a Beach Boys fan in childhood, when my friend and I would sneak her older brother's singles out and play them on a portable record player. One of my first album purchases was Endless Summer, so I could have all those singles for myself. As a young adult, I bought a Mustang convertible. The first cassette album I played with the top down was a Beach Boys greatest hits comp. Eventually I moved on to Pet Sounds, Smile and the later material,  but I've never lost my love of those early sunshine hits.

I followed the band through the press over the years... Dennis' death, the Landy issue, Carl's death and the laundry list of lawsuits. I saw the Mike and Bruce show several times and followed Brian's solo career online. The announcement of the reunion tour brought me to the online fandom, though. I had to know everything about it.
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 06:52:41 AM »

my mom named me after Brian, though she thought Al was cuter she just hated the name Al,  and this was in 1974! Anyway,since about 1982  when i first heard endless summer i was totally hooked. damn,  that's been over thirty years!

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 06:54:30 AM »

Even despite the fact he was registered later? Anyway, it was Sunflower that got me finally hooked by The Beach Boys: 1st time with the help of Add Some Music, 2nd - At My Window & 3rd - Cool Cool Water, 3 of the most beautiful things I heard by anyone. As for the board, I found it accidentally via one site dedicated to The Beatles; somebody shared the link to one of the Smile Sessions threads, if I recall rightly.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 07:11:20 AM »

same here..

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
mlanoue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 07:17:02 AM »

I had heard that they put out a lot more sophisticated music than what we experience via cultural osmosis, but I was too cheap to ever buy any CDs to actually listen for myself.  Finally after reading about Pet Sounds and SMiLE for years, and signing up for a Spotify account I dug in.  I wish I had started years ago.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 07:29:59 AM »

Bought POB one night on a friend's advice and watched Beautiful Dreamer while I waited for it to download. I had already heard Pet Sounds, Smiley/ Wild Honey twofer, Sunflower/Surf's Up and BWPS, but hadn't really taken the plunge. POB made my heart race, and I quickly purchased all the Dennis-heavy late 60s and 70s stuff, which led me to this forum and soon I had the entire catalogue (except SIP). Getting TSS and TWGMTR in the midst of my obsession was just good timing, but it has kept me excited.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 07:39:23 AM »

same here..

Also, it's impossible that you haven't been told you look like a Wilson brother  Grin

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 07:51:10 AM »

What brought YOU here?

Endless Summer in 1974-75 hooked me. The Brian Is Back campaign that followed sealed the deal.

It's about the same with yours truly. I have vague recollections of hearing 'California' (from Holland) on the radio, and being smitten with it. Not that much later I got some notion of their earlier hits, and then Endless Summer appeared, followed by Spirit Of America. Then the voyage of discovery began, by listening and reading. I found Pet Sounds, Smiley Smile, and Van Dyke Parks' Song Cycle within a relatively short time. 15 Big Ones, Love You were highlights too.

My second phase, sort of being re-baptised, started when I found the second SMiLE, um, 'version' on LP, in Amsterdam, 1988 or so, and a year later came the Japanese, um, 'version', on CD. Another year, another obsession, so to speak.

Disclaimer: I don't recommend listening to so-called 'unofficial recordings'. They are vile and the work of the devil, as we all know.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 07:57:12 AM »

same here..

Also, it's impossible that you haven't been told you look like a Wilson brother  Grin
More than that - Mr. Mayo was compared to all the family members of the BBs (including Mike, yes). Or sth. to the effect. As for me, he leans toward Carl.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 08:22:57 AM »

I liked the BBs before, but what really hooked me up was reading Brians fake "autobiography" in 1996, which, if you don't know anything about the BBs, is a fascinating read, at least the German translation. After that I bought all the records, even those that I don't like. Since then I learned about the flaws of the "autobiography", but I'm still fond of that reading experience.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2013, 08:27:55 AM »

The "Fun Fun Fun/Why Do Fools Fall In Love" 45 being played incessantly by my older brother on the family record player in early 1964.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2013, 08:41:29 AM »

Smile. I was researching Smile fan mixes and guess what came up in google search.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2013, 08:45:48 AM »

My older sisters record collection, back in the 70s. You know how it is, younger brothers nosing around the elder siblings bedroom... and BINGO, there it was. An EMI reissue of the All Summer Long album  Shocked

Ah I'll never forget the day in 1969 that big Sis came home on holiday break from college.

She HAD a quite nice collection of records, magazines and posters etc. There wasnt much left and she hit the probverbial ceiling.

I learned new swear words that day!

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Mark H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2013, 09:49:14 AM »

Even despite the fact he was registered later? Anyway

Do you understand he's joking?

For me it was Help Me Rhonda being used in a Short Circuit film to getting 20 Golden Greats on tape and being blown away by H&V, God Only Knows, Don't Worry Baby, Good Vibrations. 

Then the Smiley Smile/Wild Honey 2fer was my first CD purchase (1992 I think), Pet Sounds after that and the rest is history!
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2013, 10:27:34 AM »

WCBM, Endless Summer, and Byron Preiss got the ball rolling.  Pet Sounds, Smile, and In Concert made me into an obsessive.  The Good Vibrations boxed set freed me from the curse of Love You.  The Pet Sounds Sessions and (believe it or not) Imagination finally sealed the deal for life!
humanoidboogie
Smiley Smile Associate

deer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2013, 10:51:39 AM »

Living next door to the Wilson's in Hawthorne back in 1960 or 1961 brought me here. Kept hearing them rehearse endlessly in the garage. They gave me a copy of the Candix single and I really enjoyed it. Been a fan ever since.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2013, 11:36:42 AM »

Living next door to the Wilson's in Hawthorne back in 1960 or 1961 brought me here. Kept hearing them rehearse endlessly in the garage. They gave me a copy of the Candix single and I really enjoyed it. Been a fan ever since.

Tell us all about it, please.

The Internet brought me here.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2013, 11:45:40 AM »

Mike Love brought me here.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to: