gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 08:06:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Mike interview in HuffPost  (Read 133026 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« on: October 21, 2013, 11:22:29 AM »

Doing this on an iPad so can't copy URL but it's an interesting one. Here's a wee clip:

"ML: I learned that when you do the best job that you can do, some people will idolize you, others won't care and some will vilify you. I believe it is important to remain humble and thankful for the blessings in our lives, for the tremendous opportunities that are a result of our musical success."

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 11:38:28 AM »

Here's the link:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/20/mike-love-origin-magazine_n_4124498.html

The original piece was in something called Origin Magazine back in September…  can't find a link to the interview though.

“We live in divisive times.”
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 11:50:05 AM »

Here's the link:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/20/mike-love-origin-magazine_n_4124498.html

The original piece was in something called Origin Magazine back in September…  can't find a link to the interview though.

Thanks for the link and congrats to Andrew on the iPad.  City Year is a great group. I've worked in schools where they've been helpful as mentors to kids who need every support that they can get.  It is a very credible organization.   Wink
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 11:52:28 AM »

Mike's keyboard sound is not that great.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 12:08:45 PM »

Doing this on an iPad so can't copy URL but it's an interesting one. Here's a wee clip:

"ML: I learned that when you do the best job that you can do, some people will idolize you, others won't care and some will vilify you. I believe it is important to remain humble and thankful for the blessings in our lives, for the tremendous opportunities that are a result of our musical success."

Hilarious statement by Mike. He is a lot of things but one thing  he is not is humble.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 12:17:36 PM »

Got that right, his ego isn't humble enough to let BAD tour with him as the BBs.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 12:27:54 PM »

Wow… the Brianistas seem to be having a field day in the comments section beneath the interview.

This bit from the interview caught my attention:

MP: What's been your greatest struggle?
ML: To coexist while watching the people I love choose less than life-supporting paths via drugs, alcohol or poor lifestyle decisions. There is so much to life; my heart breaks watching someone held captive by addiction.

“We live in divisive times.”
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 12:39:04 PM »

Wow… the Brianistas seem to be having a field day in the comments section beneath the interview.

ML: To coexist while watching the people I love choose less than life-supporting paths via drugs, alcohol or poor lifestyle decisions. There is so much to life; my heart breaks watching someone held captive by addiction.

His greatest struggle has been watching other people struggle with their addictions? I like Mike, but wow...
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 12:39:53 PM »

His greatest struggle has been watching other people struggle with their addictions? I like Mike, but wow...

Well Dennis...

That had to be hard watching your cousin waste away a little bit more day by day.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Smile4ever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 01:02:25 PM »

Yeah, but they are basically right.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 01:20:33 PM »

Yeah. Well. You know, I always just took Mike with a grain of salt until this year, but my opinion of him is becoming less charitable with every interview he does.

I'm certain that watching the Wilsons go down that road was difficult for everyone concerned. But, I think it's interesting that Mike turned a question that was about HIS problems and struggles into yet another version of "The Beach Boys hit hard times because the Wilsons did drugs and I didn't." Why does he need to hammer that home in every interview, even when it's not part of the question being asked? The world knows the Wilsons got involved in drugs. They know the toll it took on all of them, especially Dennis and Brian. It's almost like he's trying to make himself appear virtuous by reminding the world that his "genius cousin" is actually just a burned out ex-drug addict, and I don't find that in any way humble or grateful, no matter what he says.

And, of course, the reason he's vilified is because he does his best. Not because he does interviews like this one. And, I guess that "Your songs are like children, you want them to be appreciated" bit doesn't apply to crows uncovering cornfields.  Grin
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 01:32:29 PM by Cyncie » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 02:00:20 PM »

Do you think he will finally put out his solo album?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 02:01:23 PM »

When Al follows up "postcard to california"........ Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 02:04:35 PM »

Do you think he will finally put out his solo album?

He should atleast put them up on iTunes. Cost him next to nothing. It be a win, win.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 03:09:04 PM »

I'm certain that watching the Wilsons go down that road was difficult for everyone concerned. But, I think it's interesting that Mike turned a question that was about HIS problems and struggles into yet another version of "The Beach Boys hit hard times because the Wilsons did drugs and I didn't." Why does he need to hammer that home in every interview, even when it's not part of the question being asked? The world knows the Wilsons got involved in drugs. They know the toll it took on all of them, especially Dennis and Brian. It's almost like he's trying to make himself appear virtuous by reminding the world that his "genius cousin" is actually just a burned out ex-drug addict, and I don't find that in any way humble or grateful, no matter what he says.

Yes, I've made that observation before. I remember some interview where he was quoted as saying something like, "I loved my cousin Dennis, but he had a problem with drugs." People aren't defined by their vices, and it's not fair to continuously rehash that information when Dennis wasn't just a drug taker/alcoholic who contributed nothing to this world. He left behind a musical legacy, and isn't here to defend himself. I'd really like to hear Mike just once say, "You know, Brian may have had struggles in the past, but look how far he's come. The fact that he's writing and performing again is really remarkable and shows how strong he is." He doesn't have to kiss Brian's butt, but he doesn't have to continuously bring up the past either. We all know the story. Could you imagine Ringo or Paul summing up Lennon's legacy by saying, "Yeah, I loved John, but let's face it. The guy was a real jerk sometimes and it was a struggle to deal with."
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 05:38:04 PM »

Well, the bottom line is this: due to their drug addictions and other issues, Dennis is dead and Brian is damaged. But there's more to it that just drugs, and the whole reason people do drugs is because it makes them feel better-temporarily.  I don't think Mike understands addiction well enough to comprehend just what led Denny and Brian and to a lesser extent, Carl, to abuse drugs as badly as they did. To be honest, with the childhoods those three had, it's amazing they did as well as they did and it's amazing that Brian isn't dead.

I don't think Milt was the kind of bastard Murry was. People say Mike Love got lucky being Brian Wilson's cousin, but he probably got a lot luckier being Milton Love's son.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 07:01:54 PM »

Well, the bottom line is this: due to their drug addictions and other issues, Dennis is dead and Brian is damaged. But there's more to it that just drugs, and the whole reason people do drugs is because it makes them feel better-temporarily.  I don't think Mike understands addiction well enough to comprehend just what led Denny and Brian and to a lesser extent, Carl, to abuse drugs as badly as they did. To be honest, with the childhoods those three had, it's amazing they did as well as they did and it's amazing that Brian isn't dead.

I don't think Milt was the kind of bastard Murry was. People say Mike Love got lucky being Brian Wilson's cousin, but he probably got a lot luckier being Milton Love's son.

I agree. And not only this, but there seems to be no real acknowledgement from Mike of the role that mental illness and self medication played in it all. Brian did drugs. Period. Not  "Brian had an abusive childhood, a mental illness, and because of that did drugs." If Mike really wants the public to "vilify" him less, he could show a bit more empathy.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2013, 07:19:30 PM »

Mike continues to lose the PR war.

Guess they are not going to forget he sued his cousin over nothing and all his
other @ssholey antics aren't going away.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2013, 07:43:51 PM »

Jeez.... Guy can't win!

He's just saying the biggest struggle of his life has been watching the cousins/bandmates who he loves suffering severe damage and premature death due to their rampant and out of control drug problems.... Think about it: other than Dennis and Carl dying and Brian's fun fun fun, Mike's life has been pretty good..... I've led a pretty good life too but am certainly haunted by friend's struggles and damage from drugs: and these were not people I was related to or in a band with for 50 years. So, basically: the MAIN thing in Mike's life that has caused and causes him grief is watching basically helpless while Dennis destroyed himself with drugs/alcohol and Brian tried his best to do the same ..... You guys really think this makes Mike a bad person?Huh .....
jamsvet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2013, 07:44:35 PM »

Seems like all I do anymore is defend ML.

Imagine that you are a member of a pro football team and you have a hell of a chance to make it to the Superbowl. Halfway through the season, your star running back, Dennis Jones starts missing practice, showing up for games after being up all night. His performance begins to suffer. You and your teammates pick up the slack but now, your quarterback  Brian Smith, decides that he doesn't want to play any away games. Your second string quarterback takes up the role but now your wide receiver, Carl Adams,  decides that he should experiment a little more with mind altering stuff so that he can see the ball better.

After a while, you realize that what could have been just isn't going to happen. Time to take the reins  of your own destiny and get some good quality people who, although good, can't quite match the original players.  You keep playing football and do the best you can with what you have. Yeah, you would love to have your old teammates back on your team, but two have gotten out of football altogether and the last expects to come back to the team as though nothing has happened and expects you to change the team you have assembled to better suit him.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2013, 07:50:09 PM »

Jeez.... Guy can't win!

He's just saying the biggest struggle of his life has been watching the cousins/bandmates who he loves suffering severe damage and premature death due to their rampant and out of control drug problems.... Think about it: other than Dennis and Carl dying and Brian's fun fun fun, Mike's life has been pretty good..... I've led a pretty good life too but am certainly haunted by friend's struggles and damage from drugs: and these were not people I was related to or in a band with for 50 years. So, basically: the MAIN thing in Mike's life that has caused and causes him grief is watching basically helpless while Dennis destroyed himself with drugs/alcohol and Brian tried his best to do the same ..... You guys really think this makes Mike a bad person?Huh .....
I'm pretty sure that Mike hated/hates Dennis.
Correct me if I'm wrong
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2013, 07:56:53 PM »

Jeez.... Guy can't win!

Correct me if I'm wrong

You're "pretty sure" Mike hates/hated Dennis, just like that, like it's some hard fact?

No, Dennis and Mike were very very close in the early days of the band. They'd go fishing together and were roommates. But just like pretty much any two alpha males that I've know who hung around a lot together, they fought over girls and crap like that and were probably close enough still until Dennis' addictions and behavior got worse and worse, and as time went on, I think it was less two guys hating each other than there was just a "situation" that was ongoing where both guys judged each other for each guy's B.S and eccentricities, mixed with petty jealousies.. Then later, Dennis marries and has a kid with Mike's illegitimate daughter, and ....... you think about how you'd feel in that situation..... I don't think Mike has ever said he hated/hates Dennis. In fact, he's spoken highly of his talents while being generally disparaging of his lifestyle, by and large, but once again: put yourself in his shoes.... I think Mike was just largely exasperated by the guy for many a year just as everyone was.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 07:58:30 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2013, 07:59:19 PM »

Jeez.... Guy can't win!

Correct me if I'm wrong

You're "pretty sure" Mike hates/hated Dennis, just like that, like it some hard fact?

No, Dennis and Mike were very very close in the early days of the band. They'd go fishing together and were roommates. But just like pretty much any two alpha males that I've know who hung around a lot together, they fought over girls and crap like that and were probably close enough still until Dennis' addictions and behavior got worse and worse, and as time went on, I think it was less two guys hating each other as there was just a "situation" that was ongoing where both guys judged each other for each guy's B.S and eccentricities.... Then later, Dennis marries and has a kid with Mike's illegitimate daughter, and ....... you think about how you'd feel in that situation..... I don't think Mike has ever said he hated/hates Dennis. In fact, he's spoken highly of his talents while being generally disparaging of his lifestyle, by and large, but once again: put yourself in his shoes.
Considering that Mike never believed that Shawn was actually his daughter, I doubt he cared.
From what I know for sure, Dennis and Mike didn't really get along in the late 70's and early 80's.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2013, 08:01:12 PM »

Jeez.... Guy can't win!

Sure. If he is sincere the comments are admirable. And I am not saying he isn't. I really dont know, or giveashit.  Grin

There are a lot of people who question Mike's motives. It does seem like since the breakup of the 50th Mike has been in damage control mode
and a lot of negative comments reflect that people don't trust the Mikester.

Jus' saying

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
rogerlancelot
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2013, 08:26:57 PM »

I am not much of a "Mike Love defender" or whatever it's called but the user comments are brutal and unjustified. Of all the bad decisions Mike Love has made the worst was stealing nobody/ghost's bicycle when you look at it in the long run. People take these rock star people too seriously. Let's all hate somebody else instead. How about that Hitler guy? I bet we can all agree that he was a big jerk. And even big jerks like him can be stopped early if you just hug them enough (use tickling for desperate measure). We all just need to be hip to the hug and down with the snuggle. Word.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 35 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx