gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:15:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Mike interview in HuffPost  (Read 131882 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2013, 08:28:40 PM »

"What's been your greatest struggle?" That was the specific question that Mike was asked when he responded, "To coexist while watching the people I love choose less than life-supporting paths via drugs, alcohol, or poor lifestyle decisions. There is so much to life; my heart breaks watching someone held captive by addiction."

"Watching the people I love..." I question a lot of things that the Beach Boys say, more than most, but I don't find that phrase or word (love) insincere. Maybe I'm naive.

"My heart breaks watching someone held captive by addiction." We fans aren't even family or bandmates, and our hearts are broken by what happened to Dennis, Carl, and Brian. Well, mine is anyway. It is a human tragedy.

Brian Wilson has been asked that same question, or a very similar similar question, dozens of times. And, almost invariably, Brian has answered with "I wish I didn't take drugs..." Mike is merely echoing what Brian has said over and over. And, if Dennis would've survived and eventually recovered, I have a feeling he would've responded with a similar response.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2013, 08:36:33 PM »

I am not much of a "Mike Love defender" or whatever it's called but the user comments are brutal and unjustified. Of all the bad decisions Mike Love has made the worst was stealing nobody/ghost's bicycle when you look at it in the long run. People take these rock star people too seriously. Let's all hate somebody else instead. How about that Hitler guy? I bet we can all agree that he was a big jerk. And even big jerks like him can be stopped early if you just hug them enough (use tickling for desperate measure). We all just need to be hip to the hug and down with the snuggle. Word.
Agreed. But I think it's mainly because of the RRHOF speech, his role in the cancellation of Smile, his hated of Pet Sounds and Smile, the lawsuits, Summer in Paradise, his terrible solo career, and finally, getting rid of Brian, Al and David at the end of the 50th Anniversary tour
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2013, 09:09:27 PM »

Honestly, his continual dwelling on the drug stuff does get old. As one of the earlier posters pointed out, that would be like McCartney always harping on how Lennon was a woman beater, or just a plain shitty friend for a long time. But no, Paul don't do that (usually), because he actually behaves like a professional.

The most pathetic thing about this interview is that Mike is acting like he's gonna release solo music. Yeah right. I'll believe that when I see it. He's had the last, what...thirty years to put stuff out and he got ONE solo album out in '81 and a handful of albums where he re-records old Beach Boys and Jan & Dean tunes. If you're so inclined to put out stuff Mikey boy, fuckin' put it out! Until then shut yo face.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2013, 09:38:20 PM »

Jeez.... Guy can't win!

He's just saying the biggest struggle of his life has been watching the cousins/bandmates who he loves suffering severe damage and premature death due to their rampant and out of control drug problems.... Think about it: other than Dennis and Carl dying and Brian's fun fun fun, Mike's life has been pretty good..... I've led a pretty good life too but am certainly haunted by friend's struggles and damage from drugs: and these were not people I was related to or in a band with for 50 years. So, basically: the MAIN thing in Mike's life that has caused and causes him grief is watching basically helpless while Dennis destroyed himself with drugs/alcohol and Brian tried his best to do the same ..... You guys really think this makes Mike a bad person?Huh .....

I don't think Mike's a bad person. But, his actions and interviews since C50 are wearing somewhat thin with me.

If the interviewer had asked, "What was the most difficult struggle you had to go through with the Beach Boys" his answer would have been perfectly acceptable. But, that wasn't the question. Origin is a yoga/meditation/earth consciousness type magazine. The focus of the interview is about spiritual awareness and self realization. The question was meant to elicit a self revelatory response about his own personal, internal struggles, not to get his reactions to his cousins problem.

I would expect a response to the question, "What has been YOUR greatest struggle?"  to be about how one struggles to set aside the ego, or greed, or temper or fear; and how meditation helps to let those things go so one can live in the present. That's what the question was aimed at. Instead, Mike made it about the Wilsons and their use of drugs, and how he had to learn to coexist with that.

I salute the fact that Mike found a way to manage life's trials without drugs. I really do. I also know that watching this happen to people you love would be painful. You would think this would give him all the more reason to rejoice that Brian is alive, functioning, and creative again. You would think this would impel him to reconciliation. Instead, he's been hammering this point about the Wilson's drug use since the C50. I just think if he demonstrated a little empathy and caring in his relationships with the others, people might be a bit more responsive.

A little love from Love would go a long way.

As the Dalai Lama said, "Be kind when it's possible. It's always possible."

Namaste

« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 09:52:25 PM by Cyncie » Logged
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2013, 09:53:37 PM »

Honestly, his continual dwelling on the drug stuff does get old. As one of the earlier posters pointed out, that would be like McCartney always harping on how Lennon was a woman beater, or just a plain shitty friend for a long time. But no, Paul don't do that (usually), because he actually behaves like a professional.

An even better example is that George never talked sh!t about Paul.  Paul is my favorite musician of all but as much as we all know John's flaws, and how subtle Paul was about mentioning them when John was alive, he's been almost "forced" to take the high road for more than thirty years because it's not nice to speak ill of the dead.  On the other hand, George could barely tolerate Paul since about 1968 and was always a class act when asked about him; being even more subtle than Paul when making a complaint about him in the press, and ALWAYS with a bit of a wink/sense of humor about it.  Even if Mike is speaking the absolute truth (or what he believes it to be), he could definitely use a little more finesse with the press.

As for his being vilified, he might not be (at least not as much) if he actually WAS doing his best but we know that he hasn't challenged himself, lyrically or musically since the mid '70's and barely seems to challenge himself professionally anymore.  Sad 

He tells the "life suite" songs on TWGMTR make him want to kill himself!  ...Forrest for the tress, Mike.  Roll Eyes
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2013, 10:27:18 PM »

I am not much of a "Mike Love defender" or whatever it's called but the user comments are brutal and unjustified. Of all the bad decisions Mike Love has made the worst was stealing nobody/ghost's bicycle when you look at it in the long run. People take these rock star people too seriously. Let's all hate somebody else instead. How about that Hitler guy? I bet we can all agree that he was a big jerk. And even big jerks like him can be stopped early if you just hug them enough (use tickling for desperate measure). We all just need to be hip to the hug and down with the snuggle. Word.
Agreed. But I think it's mainly because of the RRHOF speech, his role in the cancellation of Smile, his hated of Pet Sounds and Smile, the lawsuits, Summer in Paradise, his terrible solo career, and finally, getting rid of Brian, Al and David at the end of the 50th Anniversary tour

His hatred of Pet Sounds?

I don't quite know where to start with that one, but if you're already assuming outright that Mike Love hates Pet Sounds, I'd suggest consulting the various sources out there to perhaps color that opinion.

I think the criticism might stand if THE BEACH BOYS weren't Mike's entire life basically. And he knows damn well all anyone wants to know about really when interviewing him is The Beach Boys, so he gives it up for them. And just maybe 50 years of having drug abuse and mental illness (to a certain extent brought upon by drug abuse) tugging at his life and sending his ship off course WAS his life's struggle. Fair enough, right? I mean, we weren't in The Beach Boys and we don't really know how it FELT to anyone. Maybe we should just let the guy have his opinions/feelings on the subject and not sit back and smugly assume we know better. That's a bit immature, isn't it? I mean, here we are making character judgments about a guy based upon him simply saying that watching his family members/friends.bandmates/those he loves enduring wretched struggle and death due to drugs and alcohol.... Are you guys going to stroll into some family intervention and tell some mom she's a piece of sh*t for saying her greatest struggle has been watching her child or spouse or family member destroy themselves with drugs and alcohol?..... Are you?Huh
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 10:28:26 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2013, 10:51:28 PM »

Seems like all I do anymore is defend ML.

Imagine that you are a member of a pro football team and you have a hell of a chance to make it to the Superbowl. Halfway through the season, your star running back, Dennis Jones starts missing practice, showing up for games after being up all night. His performance begins to suffer. You and your teammates pick up the slack but now, your quarterback  Brian Smith, decides that he doesn't want to play any away games. Your second string quarterback takes up the role but now your wide receiver, Carl Adams,  decides that he should experiment a little more with mind altering stuff so that he can see the ball better.

After a while, you realize that what could have been just isn't going to happen. Time to take the reins  of your own destiny and get some good quality people who, although good, can't quite match the original players.  You keep playing football and do the best you can with what you have. Yeah, you would love to have your old teammates back on your team, but two have gotten out of football altogether and the last expects to come back to the team as though nothing has happened and expects you to change the team you have assembled to better suit him.

On the other side of teh coin, imagine if your star running back Mike started making a mockery of the team and was making it look more like an oldtimers group trading on wins of the past?
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2013, 10:53:01 PM »

Seems like all I do anymore is defend ML.

Imagine that you are a member of a pro football team and you have a hell of a chance to make it to the Superbowl. Halfway through the season, your star running back, Dennis Jones starts missing practice, showing up for games after being up all night. His performance begins to suffer. You and your teammates pick up the slack but now, your quarterback  Brian Smith, decides that he doesn't want to play any away games. Your second string quarterback takes up the role but now your wide receiver, Carl Adams,  decides that he should experiment a little more with mind altering stuff so that he can see the ball better.

After a while, you realize that what could have been just isn't going to happen. Time to take the reins  of your own destiny and get some good quality people who, although good, can't quite match the original players.  You keep playing football and do the best you can with what you have. Yeah, you would love to have your old teammates back on your team, but two have gotten out of football altogether and the last expects to come back to the team as though nothing has happened and expects you to change the team you have assembled to better suit him.

On the other side of teh coin, imagine if your star running back Mike started making a mockery of the team and was making it look more like an oldtimers group trading on wins of the past?

Excellent way to maneuver around and disregard those great points.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2013, 11:35:19 PM »

He did disapprove of the then-new material, even going so far as to say the infamous "don't f*** with the formula".
In any case, those opinions aren't entirely mine, it's what I've picked up from various Mike haters
His hatred of Pet Sounds?

I don't quite know where to start with that one, but if you're already assuming outright that Mike Love hates Pet Sounds, I'd suggest consulting the various sources out there to perhaps color that opinion.

I think the criticism might stand if THE BEACH BOYS weren't Mike's entire life basically. And he knows damn well all anyone wants to know about really when interviewing him is The Beach Boys, so he gives it up for them. And just maybe 50 years of having drug abuse and mental illness (to a certain extent brought upon by drug abuse) tugging at his life and sending his ship off course WAS his life's struggle. Fair enough, right? I mean, we weren't in The Beach Boys and we don't really know how it FELT to anyone. Maybe we should just let the guy have his opinions/feelings on the subject and not sit back and smugly assume we know better. That's a bit immature, isn't it? I mean, here we are making character judgments about a guy based upon him simply saying that watching his family members/friends.bandmates/those he loves enduring wretched struggle and death due to drugs and alcohol.... Are you guys going to stroll into some family intervention and tell some mom she's a piece of sh*t for saying her greatest struggle has been watching her child or spouse or family member destroy themselves with drugs and alcohol?..... Are you?Huh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2013, 11:49:53 PM »

"That's what I've picked up from various Mike haters"

Yeah, that's all the explanation necessary.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2013, 12:13:00 AM »

"That's what I've picked up from various Mike haters"

Yeah, that's all the explanation necessary.
I meant that gives the insight to the reasons why a lot of people hate Mike.
The most well-known anti-Mike page is this: http://manvsclown.wordpress.com/2006/07/21/why-i-hate-mike-love/
Some of the opinions I even think is outrageous, such as John Lennon apparently calling him a jerk, and the fact that Mike is still alive while Dennis and Carl are dead. But at the same time, it is understandable as to why so many people hate him.
Feel free to defend every accusation on that - even Stan Love admitted that Mike was a big disappointment personally on that site
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2013, 12:37:50 AM »

Dude, how about trying to form your own opinion?
Nicko1234
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2013, 12:52:54 AM »

Sorry but that comparison is just barking. If John Lennon had killed/destroyed himself through drink or drugs then Paul McCartney would be asked to comment on a regular basis and he would doubtless talk about the futility of that. What a bastard Paul is...
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2013, 12:53:48 AM »

Quote from: Mike Love
The joy on the faces of our audience. Watching young children sharing the love of our music with their parents and grandparents is the ultimate reward for our efforts. Very humbling.

I don't understand when celebrities use the word "humbling" in contexts like this. How can having adoring, appreciative fans be "humbling"?  

What ML probably ought to find humbling is the even greater applause and appreciation when Brian sang a lead instead of him at the C50 tour.

Please delete my account
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2013, 01:02:15 AM »

I think perhaps some folk ought to take Mike aside, explain to him why his opinions are unsatisfactory, and maybe prepare him a script containing the answers we're entitled to - the stuff we know he should say, instead of what he thinks he thinks.

“We live in divisive times.”
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2013, 01:51:20 AM »

Islamic fundamentalists
Young Earth creationists
Even they are shocked by
Mike Love apologists
bluesno1fann
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2013, 01:55:39 AM »

Islamic fundamentalists
Young Earth creationists
Even they are shocked by
Mike Love apologists

LOL Even if it is a joke, I agree
bluesno1fann
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2013, 01:56:58 AM »

Dude, how about trying to form your own opinion?
My opinion is that Mike Love is a complete jerk and douchebag.
That being said, I do think some people go way too far with the Mike bashing
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2013, 02:09:43 AM »

My opinion is that Mike Love is a complete jerk and douchebag.

Agh...this post has been posted by so many posters. nuthin' new here

Though, I guess it's to be expected from a thread about how humble Mike says he is. Whether he is or not, the R&R hall of fame speech cannot be unseen  
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 02:13:34 AM by Woodstock » Logged

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2013, 02:10:56 AM »

I love how people who don't automatically rush to the conclusion that someone is a complete bastard based upon anything they might say is termed an "apologist"

I'll bet every single one of us have said far worse things about family members or friends who's gone to seed due to drugs n drink or whatever the hell else... Most of us can't even get along on a stupid message board yet here we are judging a 72 year old about his opinions regarding watching his cousins struggle and die due to substance abuse.

Grow up, seriously.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2013, 02:16:32 AM »

In the end, it's the music he's made that's important, and f***, Mike has a co writing credit on some of the best Beach Boys songs. The rest of what he has done is not as important as the music he helped create...though...C50...(please do it again?)

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2013, 02:22:20 AM »

Islamic fundamentalists
Young Earth creationists
Even they are shocked by
Mike Love apologists

Are they shocked because, unlike them, Mike Love apologists see different sides and don't cling to their beliefs however irrational these beliefs are?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2013, 02:33:21 AM »

MP: What's been your greatest struggle?
ML: To coexist while watching the people I love choose less than life-supporting paths via drugs, alcohol or poor lifestyle decisions. There is so much to life; my heart breaks watching someone held captive by addiction.

Just an idea out of left field. Mike has had many marriages, a lot of children, his brothers and sisters no doubt have had families of their own. He has had over 50 years in the music business with all its casualties. He also has been involved in charities,  TM groups etc and has no doubt built up a wide circle of friends and colleagues from such, and their families. All of the above potentially may have delved in the drugs, alcohol and poor lifestyle decisions he mentions.

In short, his circle has included more than just The Beach Boys and he may not be talking only about the Wilsons.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2013, 02:34:12 AM »

He did disapprove of the then-new material, even going so far as to say the infamous "don't f*** with the formula".

Actually, there's no evidence he ever said any such thing. Several researchers have tried to track down the original source of that remark, and failed. There's growing evidence it was actually a Capitol suit when they first heard the album.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2013, 02:54:22 AM »

It seems that quite a few of Mike's "wrong doings" are just myth. Was the formula quote common knowledge before the R&R Hall Of Fame speech? That speech seems to have been the catalyst for hatred of the Mike.

Did people hate (and I mean really hate, like what you see in every youtube comment) him before the speech?

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 35 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx