gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:32:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Where Is She?"  (Read 6767 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2013, 09:32:27 PM »

Hey, so I've been listening to "Where Is She?" quite a bit since Made In California has been released, and I've been wondering....how much was the work done recently to put the song in the shape that it is in now? Because there were a few comments about the song before it was released, and it seems that those who heard it kinda seemed to describe it a bit differently that how it sounds to me.

First off, there was Peter Reum's quote in an issue of ESQ that "Where Is She?" is a "waltz tempo musical idea at the piano...", and honestly to me, during the basic heart of the track I don't hear any piano in there. I hear what seems to be a metronome, some organ and guitar. Is it possible that the little piano "practice" bit that is at the beginning of the track was actually originally part of the track, but was removed to make it sound a bit more lush, and not quite as rough?

There is also Andrew Doe's statement that when he heard the song it was "...basically a keyboard, rhythm box and Brian singing very high. Got potential, but very rough." This recollection jibes pretty well with that of Mr. Reum, which pretty much led me to expect a very rough, unfinished sounding recording. But alas, when I finally heard it, it pretty much sounding like it coulda fit onto Sunflower or Surf's Up. Sure, there are no other Beach Boys on the thing vocally besides Brian, but that hadn't stopped him before.

I do recall Andrew also mentioning that it got a pretty substantial edit for MIC. I took that to mean just maybe some reshuffling of sections, or possibly even just making the transitions smoother. But possibly it meant removing the rhythm piano part and adding other things?

Maybe somebody will be able to clarify!

Anyways, anybody know the deal?
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 09:38:08 PM »

I don't know all the deets, but I definitely think there was a piano track in there. It just would've been impossible for him to keep perfect tempo like that with only a droning organ going. The metronome clicks on 2 and 4 wouldn't be enough to keep him in sync.

The final part of the track, where it fades, is a loop of the beginning part.

That's all I can gather.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 11:13:45 AM »

It's not clear if what is on MIC is what Peter and Andrew heard or if the "leaked" version was a rougher take which Brian refined into what is on MIC.  I doubt anything was added to Where is She in 2013, so likely everything there was done in 1969.  They may of course have muted the piano track, but Brian himself did that on many songs (like the Smiley Vegetables).
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 04:21:01 PM »

I don't know all the deets, but I definitely think there was a piano track in there. It just would've been impossible for him to keep perfect tempo like that with only a droning organ going. The metronome clicks on 2 and 4 wouldn't be enough to keep him in sync.

I think the clicks were part of a single drum machine track, and Mark decided to keep a few clicks.

A discipline daddy.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 09:12:49 PM »

Funny that some will post in every inconsequential thread there is just to talk smack, but then when their expertise could actually be put to use ***cough AGD cough*** they don't add anything to this thread, which actually tries to help us better understand the genesis of the song "Where Is She?"
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 09:22:19 PM »

Funny that some will post in every inconsequential thread there is just to talk smack, but then when their expertise could actually be put to use ***cough AGD cough*** they don't add anything to this thread, which actually tries to help us better understand the genesis of the song "Where Is She?"
Yeah, let's get AGD in here!

A discipline daddy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 10:32:29 PM »

1 - I do actually have a life outside of here (today, working 8.15am-9.30pm)

2 - There's nothing I can add to what I've already said about when I first heard this track, unless you want me to embroider on (that is, lie about) what I heard back then.

3 - every inconsequential thread ? Don't think so...  Grin

It's not clear if what is on MIC is what Peter and Andrew heard or if the "leaked" version was a rougher take which Brian refined into what is on MIC.  I doubt anything was added to Where is She in 2013, so likely everything there was done in 1969.  They may of course have muted the piano track, but Brian himself did that on many songs (like the Smiley Vegetables).

Won't presume to speak for Peter, but what I heard was, as stated, a lot rougher, technically speaking, than what has been released.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 10:36:04 PM by A. Grayham Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 11:02:21 PM »

I'm curios about that piano part heard before the "proper"  song starts. Was it a rough "demo" run through? The two don't really seem to go together. Andrew, was what you heard part of that rough piano version?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 11:23:03 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:41:04 PM by zatch » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 06:51:33 AM »

1 - I do actually have a life outside of here (today, working 8.15am-9.30pm)

I don't buy it. No way you have a life outside of this board.  Grin

2 - There's nothing I can add to what I've already said about when I first heard this track, unless you want me to embroider on (that is, lie about) what I heard back then.

Actually there is quite a bit you could add. For instance, was there piano on the version you heard? How about the structure of the song? Anything different? Around how long was it? So yeah, there you go. Feel free to add anything you can remember now!
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 12:22:01 PM »

Yeah, I'd love to hear more about this track, too.

And just for the sake of it, I'd like to throw this out, too....

It seems to me that the track after the demo is "finished", meaning that this was not an idle tinkering.  What we've got is all "final take".  However, there certainly seems to be a lot missing. 

And I've got a theory.  If Brian is going to add more to a track (besides vocals), what's the last thing he usually added?   Strings!

So my theory, (and hopeful wish), is that Brian has, or at least had, an incredible string arrangement somewhere in his head that he was going to add to this song.

(This string arrangement, if real, would have made the song even more like "She's Leaving Home", wouldn't it?)

Love and merci,   Dan Lega
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 04:43:13 PM »

The Beatles invented stringed instruments.

I'd say this was likely meant to be a demo, not a final version. Wasn't it cut right around the time of "Sail Plane Song", also a demo? The sonic vibe is pretty similar.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2013, 09:19:56 PM »

Total bummer that Andrew Doe won't tell us more in depth about the version he heard. Sucks.

Oh well, guess he's more content to argue with OregonRiverRider.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2013, 11:28:27 PM »

Not won't - can't. That's all I recall. If you like, I'll go away and concoct some more, and better, detail but - my myriad other faults notwithstanding - lying isn't one of my dominant character traits. Especially here when others can comprehensively trump me.  Old Man

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 01:34:00 PM »

Not won't - can't. That's all I recall. If you like, I'll go away and concoct some more, and better, detail but - my myriad other faults notwithstanding - lying isn't one of my dominant character traits. Especially here when others can comprehensively trump me.  Old Man

You don't remember hearing a piano or not? Or what the length of the song was. Or how the track was ordered?

Wow. Guess I just expected more of a self proclaimed "Beach Boys scholar."

Thanks anyways for the little help you did offer. Maybe Peter Reum will be 'round these parts again soon.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 01:38:49 PM »

Hey, if the guy doesn't remember he doesn't remember. Better to be honest about it than say something he's not sure about... Because coming from him, I know I'd take it for a fact anyway.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2013, 01:48:06 PM »

You don't remember hearing a piano or not? Or what the length of the song was. Or how the track was ordered?

Thanks anyways for the little help you did offer. Maybe Peter Reum will be 'round these parts again soon.

Wow. Entitled much? What a backhanded and snide comment.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2013, 02:42:12 PM »

Yeah, no kidding.   Roll Eyes

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2013, 03:38:06 PM »

Can you claim to recall, with the degree of precision you evidently demand, something you heard once ten years ago, in less than ideal conditions, that you'd not heard before and didn't hear again, ever ? Well, can you ?

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2013, 04:11:29 PM »

I'll try to dig out my notes about this one.  I heard it several times back in the day, and now I'm curious if what I heard is different.  Hopefully my notes are comprehensive enough to highlight any differences.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2013, 04:20:50 PM »

Thank you sir Smiley

And AGD, we love ya man, don't let him put you down, your book made me the fan I am today Smiley

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2013, 04:40:50 PM »

Can you claim to recall, with the degree of precision you evidently demand, something you heard once ten years ago, in less than ideal conditions, that you'd not heard before and didn't hear again, ever ? Well, can you ?

Yeah, I can. Thanks for your time.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2013, 05:03:50 PM »

Prove it.  Grin

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2013, 06:07:54 PM »

Prove it.  Grin

Ok find me an interesting previously largely unheard Beach Boys song. We'll talk in ten years.

Fair enough?  Grin
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2013, 01:27:53 AM »

Find it yourself, the way I had to.  Grin

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx