gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680780 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 07:38:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sherry, She Needs Me  (Read 5163 times)
WesB8302
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm thinkin' bout this whole world...

View Profile WWW
« on: October 19, 2013, 08:46:23 AM »

Since I've gotten MiC, I keep coming back to this song. I really like it, but it also is tragic to me to hear the damage BW had done to his voice in 11 years. The moment on the tag where you hear '76 Brian followed very shortly by the sweet falsetto of '65 Brian on the lyric "said goodbye" may be the most heartbreaking vocal moment recorded by the BB.

Anyone else get the same feeling from listening?  Regardless, I love the song!

HELP!  I can't find the "Any" key....
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 08:57:59 AM »

I never cared much for it before [I hadn't really played it to be honest], but I love it now! It's just a shame we ended up with more B-Pain on such a track. Some of it just sounds so 'shiny'...

Still play it to death regardless!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 09:07:40 AM by Freddie French-Pounce » Logged

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Watch a Cave
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 09:04:37 AM »

This is probably my favorite "new" track on MIC..  I absolutely LOVE it!  I just don't understand how the original Sandy version wasn't finished.  The backing track is stunning and the few vocals that were recorded are fabulous as well.  Seriously I can't get enough of this song..  I must have played this and Guess I'm Dumb like a thousand times in the last month.

Could you imagine the Today album with a finished Sandy and BB version of Guess I'm Dumb??  Wow..

And you are right.. the purity of young Brian's voice vs the gruffness of 1976 is insane.  It makes me want to cry.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 09:17:43 AM by Watch a Cave » Logged
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 09:08:30 AM »

Certainly one of the most prominent "what ifs" in their oeuvre that "Sandy" was not finished at the time of its original track & vocal fragments' recording in '65(?) I can't recall the story behind the composition of the lyrics (don't remember if they've been discussed) & whether they are the '65 "Sandy" lyrics in their entirety or not, but the original track sounds richer & fuller to me even though it is supposedly (from what I understand, haven't bought the box yet) the same track with the '76 vocals flown in (sounds to me like the '76 instr. track as well) but a period BW lead and mid-60s harmony stack on the choruses would have been one of the highlights of the whole catalogue IMO. Such an emotive, plaintive song.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 10:24:27 AM »

I really like this song too, but does anyone else find it hard to not think about the Four Seasons' song Sherry? Particularly at the part in the song where Brian sings a long extended, "Sherrrrrr-errrrey baby"?

It seems like it had to have been a deliberate FS nod/ reference, no? It wouldn't be the first FS reference in a BB song either, since Surfers Rule had one too. But in this case, I feel that it detracts just a bit from the listening experience. Maybe it's just me.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 10:39:34 AM »

Certainly one of the most prominent "what ifs" in their oeuvre that "Sandy" was not finished at the time of its original track & vocal fragments' recording in '65(?) I can't recall the story behind the composition of the lyrics (don't remember if they've been discussed) & whether they are the '65 "Sandy" lyrics in their entirety or not, but the original track sounds richer & fuller to me even though it is supposedly (from what I understand, haven't bought the box yet) the same track with the '76 vocals flown in (sounds to me like the '76 instr. track as well) but a period BW lead and mid-60s harmony stack on the choruses would have been one of the highlights of the whole catalogue IMO. Such an emotive, plaintive song.

There is no '76 instrumental track. That's the whole point.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 02:27:55 PM »

You're getting in a bit of a twist. The 1965 track for "Sherry..." was just that - a track, no more (recorded 3/29/65, during the Summer Days... sessions). Then on 5/4/65, Brian re-recorded the track as "Sandy..." and partial vocals were cut the next day. Vocals (lead & bvs, all Brian) were added to the "Sherry... " track on 8/21/76. The version on the new box is an amalgam of them both, mostly the "Sherry..." version but with the "Sandy..." tag flown in. All the instrumentation hails from 1965.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Watch a Cave
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 06:18:39 PM »

So the question remains.. why didn't Brian finish the Sandy track in 65?  It boggles my mind.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 09:29:58 PM »

Not to question your expertise, AGD, but are you sure the "Sherry" track was recorded before the "Sandy" one? It seems to be more Summer Days-like whereas Sandy is more Today-like (even if both were done in the Summer Days period, as you say. The Sherry track has to be one of BW's best. Love the delicate intro and the blasting chorus. I have always loved this song upon first hearing it.

Watch out for snakes!
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 10:41:34 PM »

You're getting in a bit of a twist. The 1965 track for "Sherry..." was just that - a track, no more (recorded 3/29/65, during the Summer Days... sessions). Then on 5/4/65, Brian re-recorded the track as "Sandy..." and partial vocals were cut the next day. Vocals (lead & bvs, all Brian) were added to the "Sherry... " track on 8/21/76. The version on the new box is an amalgam of them both, mostly the "Sherry..." version but with the "Sandy..." tag flown in. All the instrumentation hails from 1965.

I misspoke about a "'76 instrumental track". Of course I realize that the two vocal renditions are combined on  the MIC version (with the exception of Mike's two "Sandy, baby, it's time we said goodbye" lines, which were not used both because this version is addressing one "Sherry", and their inclusion, even if it was the right girl, would have been another slightly jarring juxtaposition of old & new, although if he had been referencing "Sherry" they might have considered including them as well). In any case, my point was that had period vocals been completed for either '65 iteration, the result would undoubtedly have been stellar and it was a sadly missed opportunity for greatness.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 05:04:01 PM by mutedtrumpeterswan » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
zachrwolfe
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 10:44:16 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:41:51 PM by zatch » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 11:26:54 PM »

Not to question your expertise, AGD, but are you sure the "Sherry" track was recorded before the "Sandy" one?

You're questioning two 1965 AFM sheets and c-mans research, not my (alleged) expertise.  Grin
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 11:34:20 PM by A. Grayham Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 11:30:21 PM »

Even thought it's kind of "digital fuckery", I kind of like the ending vocals from "Sandy". Especially the "whooa, bah bah bah" bit. It kind of makes me wish that the group had released it this way back in 1976 after Brian "completed it" with his vocal. Althought it would have stood out like a sore thumb on any album from that era. It's just simply to good to be alongside any of the other tracks from the period. I would liken it to finding a pearl in a clam found buried deep in the dark and murky ocean.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 08:20:54 AM »

Not to question your expertise, AGD, but are you sure the "Sherry" track was recorded before the "Sandy" one?

You're questioning two 1965 AFM sheets and c-mans research, not my (alleged) expertise.  Grin

Your expertise here would lie in knowing where the facts have been laid out. That's very interesting, thanks!

Watch out for snakes!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2013, 08:43:27 AM »

So the question remains.. why didn't Brian finish the Sandy track in 65?  It boggles my mind.

Because he's a big dummy.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2013, 07:23:35 PM »

I'm still laughing at the B-Pain comment from earlier.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 01:05:19 PM »

I'm still laughing at the B-Pain comment from earlier.

Why me so funny? It's not a term I coined  LOL

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx