gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680821 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 01:59:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pet Sounds Magazines  (Read 12111 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2013, 08:57:26 PM »

here's the first issue. there are definitely some quality issues. all 4 issues( I believe that's all there ever were) have been folded a LONG time and theres a browning at the fold and they're a bit hard to read there.  
 Not certain I want to take the time to do TWO half page scans of each full page, while pulling them tight to try and erase the folds.  

will these be good enougfh?  

« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 03:02:36 AM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 02:07:08 AM »

Oh mannnnnnnnnnnnnn... you have no idea how that takes me back: suddenly I'm 21 again. Jesus, where did those 37 years go ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 01:08:08 PM »

« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 03:03:09 AM by bgas » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 07:26:44 PM »

« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 03:03:37 AM by bgas » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 07:33:19 PM »

The last one:
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 03:04:05 AM by bgas » Logged

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 07:44:23 PM »

Thanks for doing these - however I can't read them. Is there any way to upload larger copies?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 08:41:14 PM »

I wish I knew. maybe someone will have some advice

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 10:42:50 PM »

If you can, try and scan the pages at LEAST at 300dpi. Maybe just post one page as a sample and then if it's readable go from there?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 10:44:57 PM by mikeyj » Logged
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 03:54:58 PM »

Thanks for these - how big are the original pages?

I too would love to see higher res scans.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 09:10:42 PM »

Thanks for these - how big are the original pages?

I too would love to see higher res scans.

Original pages are 11-1/2 X 17 Inches. WAY to big for any scanner I've seen. And I'm just not going to do half page scans. ( I did these with my camera)
Go buy them on Ebay....   

Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 07:46:49 PM »

Thank you, bgas!

FYI to ipad users. Save these images to your device and try using the "enhance" function. That might help out as far as reading it goes.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 05:28:48 AM »

I've got each of these issues in great quality, are they worth much?
It's one of my favorite pieces in my collection.

I need to reread each issue and do a video review of them.

Btw, anyone have that Time Barrier magazine advertised in one of the issues?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 06:44:09 AM »

The scans bring back nice memories - I sold all the magazine stuff from my collection (ASM, ESQ, Friends of the BB, California Saga, BB Australia etc..) a couple of years ago

Watson, did you hear this?
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 01:53:56 PM »

From an historical point of view, priceless!

Interestingly, I've never seen that edition of Time Barrier Express. The only one that I know of which featured The Beach Boys was released in Apr-May 1979, a good 18 months after the PS edition in which it was advertised was released.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TIME-BARRIER-EXPRESS-MAGAZINE-THE-BEACH-BOYS-FROM-THE-BEGINNING-1979-VINTAGE-/191001266701

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 11:20:11 AM »

Interestingly, I've never seen that edition of Time Barrier Express. The only one that I know of which featured The Beach Boys was released in Apr-May 1979, a good 18 months after the PS edition in which it was advertised was released.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TIME-BARRIER-EXPRESS-MAGAZINE-THE-BEACH-BOYS-FROM-THE-BEGINNING-1979-VINTAGE-/191001266701

Yes, I agree with that. I'd go so far as to say that the issue, as shown, doesn't/never existed.  I've never seen that one, in the entire time I've been collecting

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2013, 01:02:43 PM »

Yes, I agree with that. I'd go so far as to say that the issue, as shown, doesn't/never existed.  I've never seen that one, in the entire time I've been collecting

Begs the question: What would one have received if one had sent Time Barrier Enterprises Ltd. the coupon along with $1.50? The issue as we know it, 18 months later?

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2013, 06:56:57 PM »

Begs the question: What would one have received if one had sent Time Barrier Enterprises Ltd. the coupon along with $1.50? The issue as we know it, 18 months later?

You got a way back machine handy?

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2013, 08:24:12 PM »

You'd think that there'd be at least one Pet Sounds subscriber who sent away for that version of Time Barrier Express magazine after seeing the ad, wouldn't you?

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2013, 08:49:59 PM »

You'd think that there'd be at least one Pet Sounds subscriber who sent away for that version of Time Barrier Express magazine after seeing the ad, wouldn't you?

None of the ones that sent away for it are on Smiley

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2013, 09:51:13 PM »

Yes, I agree with that. I'd go so far as to say that the issue, as shown, doesn't/never existed.  I've never seen that one, in the entire time I've been collecting

Some copies of this came with an alternate cover. Hmmm...

http://www.sonic.net/~dsktracy/bbstuff/Magazines/pages/Time%20Barrier%20Express,%20Apr-May,%201979.html

So, who has a copy (of the alternate cover)?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 09:58:46 PM by metal flake paint » Logged

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2013, 10:01:17 PM »

Oh yeah! I've seen the scans for this on a site (just the beach boys stuff) I wanna say they were black and white to begin with, i printed them off of course, great fun reading! I think it was on this wonderful resourceful site:
http://www.mountvernonandfairway.de

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2013, 10:29:26 PM »

How do you know?  I have the original and just might have the other one! 

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2013, 06:44:52 AM »

How do you know?  I have the original and just might have the other one! 

Sure, and it's in storage and you can't get to it, right??    (ALOT of folks have the one pictured on her site)

I don't believe there ever was an earlier issue, AND I bet Tracy got the "alternate cover" thing from someone, maybe herself, that saw the ad in Pet Sounds. 
But for the sake of argument, take the time to open your storage and see if there's one there.   I bet you won't look

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2013, 12:24:08 AM »

In the November 1978 edition of Pet Sounds, the editor of Time Barrier Express wrote that just as the issue was about to go to print, problems including a fire, and change of premises and ownership, had delayed publication of "lost" issue # 24 until the middle of November 1978. Readers were advised to make contact if they hadn't received their order by December of the same year. I guess that they received quite a few enquiries as it wasn't issued until a few months later.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2013, 09:21:01 AM »

In the November 1978 edition of Pet Sounds, the editor of Time Barrier Express wrote that just as the issue was about to go to print, problems including a fire, and change of premises and ownership, had delayed publication of "lost" issue # 24 until the middle of November 1978. Readers were advised to make contact if they hadn't received their order by December of the same year. I guess that they received quite a few enquiries as it wasn't issued until a few months later.

Perfect!!  I bet I could have found that info, if only I'd take the time to read....

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx