gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:16:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: What is your favorite Beach Boy's instrumental?
Misirlou
Stoked
Honky Tonk
Surf Jam
Let's Go Trippin'
The Rocking Surfer
Boogie Woodie
Shut Down, Part II
Denny's Drums
Carl's Big Chance
Summer Means New Love
Let's Go Away For Awhile
Pet Sounds
Diamond Head
The Nearest Faraway Place
I Wanna Be Around / Workshop

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favorite Beach Boys' Instrumental  (Read 27490 times)
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2013, 05:49:13 PM »

(I'd be surprised if this poll hasn't been done before, but I did a simple search and did not find it, so there!  Smiley)

As far as what I qualified as an "instrumental": there could be no singing/humming/vocals whatsoever (the only exception being a handful of shouts, i.e. Surf Jam); also, I'm only counting songs from their LPs (though including Smile Sessions).

Unfortunately, this mean no Passing By, Holidays, The Elements: Fire (Mrs. O'Leary's Cow), Fall Breaks and Back to Winter, etc. (But I can't stop you from saying that one of these is your favorite in the comments Smiley).
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 06:05:36 PM by ThyRavenAscend » Logged

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
bluesno1fann
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 05:50:15 PM »

The title track to Pet Sounds for me.
Although I do have a fondness for Let's go away for a While, Shut Down Part II, and most of the instrumentals from Surfin' USA
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 06:08:19 PM »

If I could pick one of the ones that I banned, I would definitely go with Passing By--such an odd but incredible track.

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
rogerlancelot
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 06:23:53 PM »

I had no problem choosing "Let's Go Away For A While" which to me is one of the most beautiful pieces of music by anybody. Runner up for me would be "The Nearest Far Away Place" only because it's trying to sound like "Let's Go Away For A While". "Pet Sounds" is really cool but the out of tune guitar part (too sharp) still irks me. If they would have only taken 5 more minutes to tune up..... If "Fairy Tale Music" was on here I still wouldn't choose it.

"Let's Go Away For A While" stereo mix of course!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 06:25:56 PM »

"The Nearest Faraway Place" gets my vote. I've always liked the melody, the arrangement, the dreamy, music box feel, and what I consider to be a Brian Wilson-like coda. Actually, and I've said it before in threads like this one, if "The Nearest Faraway Place" had a B. Wilson credit instead of a B. Johnston credit, this song would be considered a work of art and probably thought to have originated in the SMiLE era.

P.S. I think "Shut Down, Part. 2" is underrated.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 07:46:10 PM »

Although there are better Beach Boys' instrumentals, Shut Down Vol. 2 gets my vote.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 09:11:24 PM »

Excellent idea for a poll.  Stoked is by far my favorite BB instrumental.  Who all did the great guitar work on that track?

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 10:12:07 PM »

I love "Carl's Big Chance," aka "Memphis Beach"!

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 11:29:17 PM »

Excellent idea for a poll.  Stoked is by far my favorite BB instrumental.  Who all did the great guitar work on that track?

Guitar-wise, I'd say Carl, ably assisted by Dave, with Brian on bass. Jon's FAQ book is a great resource for this kind of information; highly recommended.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 11:49:20 PM »

Diamond Head. I didn't even have to think about it.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 11:52:13 PM »

"The Nearest Faraway Place" gets my vote. I've always liked the melody, the arrangement, the dreamy, music box feel, and what I consider to be a Brian Wilson-like coda. Actually, and I've said it before in threads like this one, if "The Nearest Faraway Place" had a B. Wilson credit instead of a B. Johnston credit, this song would be considered a work of art and probably thought to have originated in the SMiLE era.

P.S. I think "Shut Down, Part. 2" is underrated.

I like The Nearest Faraway Place, but it is undeniably more maudlin sounding any Brian-penned instrumentals.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 11:53:46 PM by Gabo » Logged
beacharg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 11:55:05 PM »

Diamond Head. I didn't even have to think about it.

Rock!
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 11:59:30 PM »

Guitar-wise, I'd say Carl, ably assisted by Dave, with Brian on bass. Jon's FAQ book is a great resource for this kind of information; highly recommended.

Yes, Jon's BBs FAQ is a really great source for this kind of info, and I should have looked it up there.  Checking page 67, it states guitars as you listed, plus Dennis on drums.  Proof positive that the guys could really cook when playing their own instruments.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 12:26:00 AM »

I love the Stoked, The Rocking Surfer and Shut Down Pt 2, and obviously the Pet Sounds tracks are great, but my vote went to Diamond Head which is such a crazy, bizarre track - the first time you listen to it you've just got no idea what's going to happen next...

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2013, 12:33:37 AM »

I absolutely can't pick one and omit others, because:

Diamond Head, Pet Sounds, Let's Go Away For Awhile, and Passing By (with vocals but wordless) all function on the same, incredible level for yours truly.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2013, 12:54:16 AM »

I voted for stoked, but honestly it was hard to choose just one. Pet sounds, summer means new love, the rocking surfer, and boogie woodie are all great choices too.

Off topic, but I've tried several times to create polls, but have always been told I'm not authorized. Any ideas?
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2013, 01:05:09 AM »

Apparently I'm the first one who voted for "Summer Means New Love". For me it's a tie between that one and "Diamond Head". The Pet Sounds instrumentals don't do much for me outside the album context (where I do appreciate both of them).

Honorary mention goes to the instrumental version of "Had to Phone ya", which is a wonderful piece of music in its own right.
silodweller
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2013, 01:11:35 AM »

Apparently I'm the first one who voted for "Summer Means New Love". For me it's a tie between that one and "Diamond Head". The Pet Sounds instrumentals don't do much for me outside the album context (where I do appreciate both of them).

Honorary mention goes to the instrumental version of "Had to Phone ya", which is a wonderful piece of music in its own right.

Absolutely.  "Summer Means New Love" is beautiful. 

"Carl broke his cigarette over his G string, we're sorry..."
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2013, 02:31:58 AM »

Absolutely.  "Summer Means New Love" is beautiful. 

+1. Optimistic, evocative track.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
rogerlancelot
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2013, 02:40:37 AM »

Yes! I had been listening to the bootleg version for a while before we got a cleaner mix on MIC. That song with and without vocals is an underrated masterpiece and certainly my favorite track on 15BO. Glad to see someone else likes it too.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2013, 03:51:58 AM »

No-brainer - "LGAFAW".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2013, 04:09:10 AM »

Let's Go Away For Awhile [And Then We'll Have World Peace]. It's one of the few tracks my dad enjoyed on Pet Sounds when I was playing it the other night. [His favourite is Caroline, No, with WIBN and GOk to an extent in there. The rest was not hugely consumed].

But yeah, a great peace of music. So much can be drawn from it, and the reality is that what it symbolises can be so varied. Though going away [for awhile] is probably the main idea. Like the idea of Time To Get Alone... but not so Deep and Wide.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2013, 05:12:06 AM »

"Let's Go Away for Awhile," which is possibly my favorite song on Pet Sounds.  I also still think of "Look!" as an instrumental since I first heard it that way, even though lyrics were added later (and there were even backing vocals on the "completed" TSS version).  If you count that one, it would probably come in second for me.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2013, 05:14:43 AM »

I'm picking three!

The Nearest Faraway Place

Summer Means New Love

Pet Sounds - since C50! - it went from ok to wow!  LOL
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2013, 06:16:14 AM »

Let's Go Away For A While is my favourite. Pet Sounds, Diamond Head, and IWBA aren't far off though (plus it may have been Passing By if that were an option  Evil ).

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx