gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680796 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 06:53:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Should I Worry? (Ego/Rab collab)  (Read 2030 times)
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2013, 01:55:34 PM »

Hope you enjoy this newest creation between Rab and I - we had the idea to make a track influenced by Phil Spector's sonic techniques, while still incorporating the influence of BW/The BBs (especially the SMiLE era). We're now calling ourselves The Wrecking Two! Comments appreciated and welcome.

https://soundcloud.com/thewreckingtwo/should-i-worry

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 02:04:28 PM »

Great job guys, I like it, especially the break (which reminds me slightly of Do You Believe* by Billy Nichols, for some reason).

Is that Ego or Rab singing the verses?  It didn't sound like Rab at first, but now I'm not sure.

MPs

Edit: the correct name of the song is "Would You Believe".
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 04:43:43 PM by mypetsounds » Logged

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 02:05:38 PM »

That's Ego singing the verses. I'm singing the chorus - with Ego repeating the lines.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
zachrwolfe
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 09:22:48 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:42:29 PM by zatch » Logged
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 01:54:02 PM »

Thanks!  Smiley

kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 01:55:15 AM »

Awesome! Well, I'm a sucker for all things Spector so I would probably have dug it no matter how the song had turned out. But the wall of sound aside, I think it IS a really, really catchy song.

Two suggestions; - the lead vocal during the verses sounds quite trebly to my ears. Maybe it would benefit the song if you added a bit more bottom to it by fiddling with the mix? But it may be a question of taste of course.
Also, if you wanted it to sound even more Spectoresque you could add some low saxophone sounds in the mix. I think there's already something down there meant to emulate the sax feel of many of Spector's productions, but it could be pulled a bit more forward for added effect.

GREAT job guys!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 01:58:49 AM by kwan_dk » Logged

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 12:52:55 PM »

Awesome! Well, I'm a sucker for all things Spector so I would probably have dug it no matter how the song had turned out. But the wall of sound aside, I think it IS a really, really catchy song.

Two suggestions; - the lead vocal during the verses sounds quite trebly to my ears. Maybe it would benefit the song if you added a bit more bottom to it by fiddling with the mix? But it may be a question of taste of course.
Also, if you wanted it to sound even more Spectoresque you could add some low saxophone sounds in the mix. I think there's already something down there meant to emulate the sax feel of many of Spector's productions, but it could be pulled a bit more forward for added effect.

GREAT job guys!

Thanks!

Yeah, agreed on the trebly lead...This was the best I could mix it without the vocals becoming muddy/buried in the mix. I'm really not good at mixing vocals haha. And yeah, we have a MIDI sax buried in there, but because it's MIDI it doesn't sound good when it's high in the mix.

Anywho, glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the feedback!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 04:22:34 AM »

You should've been called "The Wrecking Twins" instead. No, seriously, you both sound like lost & found brothers. Anyway, the song is catchy & I liked EgoHanger's playful & kittenish vocs. rab, as usual, I marvel at your arranging job, this might just be your best one.

Btw, I don't hear anything Spector-ish in the song, a bit too modern.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 11:36:36 PM »

This one is begging to be listened to on a decent set of speakers, but in re-listening on my cell phone I was taken again by the break and, especially, the chords/riff immediately after, through approximately the 2:15 mark.  Is that a rab creation?  Regardless, this is a really good song, I'd like to hear a version with the vocals recorded a bit better.

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 12:05:21 PM »

This one is begging to be listened to on a decent set of speakers, but in re-listening on my cell phone I was taken again by the break and, especially, the chords/riff immediately after, through approximately the 2:15 mark.  Is that a rab creation?  Regardless, this is a really good song, I'd like to hear a version with the vocals recorded a bit better.

Yeah, rab added those parts in. Soundcloud makes everything sound worse - the song sounds pretty good if you're listening to the higher-bit mp3 or WAV. Still, it's not studio quality, because it wasn't recorded in a studio - it was recorded in two separate dude's rooms who haven't actually met in real life. And for what it is, I'm proud - I never thought I'd have the ability to express myself musically in such a way.

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 01:23:44 PM »

You should be proud.  This song has really grown on me since I first heard it.  I like the music and the lyrics.
Let's give it a bump, back up to the top so more folks will notice.  I should go bump "Relapse" too.  That might be my favorite - let me go comment there.   You, rab, and Zach, are all great singers and players.  I hope you guys, whichever are the "two" the next time, will continue to add to your SoundCloud list.  Every song you put up has something going for it.  The writing on all the tracks is wonderful.  You guys are getting a 60's feel on all of 'em.  Try and list who wrote, sang and played what on each one at the SoundCloud site - as that's where I'm at when I listen.  Can't understand how this fell all the way back to page two.  But I searched out to comment here instead of on the listening station.
Maybe all three of you could do one together.   peace, Will

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx