gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680743 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 08:47:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question about burning and ripping CDs  (Read 3566 times)
Watch a Cave
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2013, 08:32:50 AM »

When doing this with Beach Boys music is 192 kbps acceptable for high quality sound? 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 08:35:41 AM »

When doing this with Beach Boys music is 192 kbps acceptable for high quality sound?  
Generally, yes. I usually use mp3 VBR V2 which averages around 192, but goes under or above when it is needed.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 08:36:45 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Watch a Cave
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 09:16:43 AM »

OK thanks for the reply.  I was worried that bass parts and/or high parts would be compromised.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 09:24:05 AM »

With lossy codecs, I find VBR to be your best bet. Best/better quality while lower file size as compared with higher CBR bit rates.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Watch a Cave
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 11:24:01 AM »

I have one more question..  How do I burn specific segments of a song onto a disc?

Like for example, suppose I want burn "I Get Around" from the MIC box, but I want it to start after the studio chatter.  Is there a way to do this?
Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 11:50:54 AM »

For many years, I thought 192 kbps and VBR was the way to go for best sound with smallest file size.  But, over the last year or two, I've discovered that I can tell the difference between 192 and 256, so I've been going with 256 and VBR most recently.  Above 256, I can't tell the difference even when burned to a CD.

As to editing tracks, you can do it if you have software that allows it.  iTunes doesn't do much in this regard, but Winamp has a little more functionality.  Apart from audacity which works really well with WAV files, I imagine there are probably some other freeware options out there.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 03:38:39 PM »

For many years, I thought 192 kbps and VBR was the way to go for best sound with smallest file size.  But, over the last year or two, I've discovered that I can tell the difference between 192 and 256, so I've been going with 256 and VBR most recently.  Above 256, I can't tell the difference even when burned to a CD.

As to editing tracks, you can do it if you have software that allows it.  iTunes doesn't do much in this regard, but Winamp has a little more functionality.  Apart from audacity which works really well with WAV files, I imagine there are probably some other freeware options out there.
Everyone's ears are different, so it is best to take one song and rip it using V0, V1 and V2 and listen for differences. With LAME, most claim V5 is transparent, so anything below should be transparent unless you have golden ears, which if you under 25 you might well have.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 05:48:10 PM »

Everyone's ears are different, so it is best to take one song and rip it using V0, V1 and V2 and listen for differences. With LAME, most claim V5 is transparent, so anything below should be transparent unless you have golden ears, which if you under 25 you might well have.

In my case, it's been 17+ years since I passed that threshold.   LOL

But, I think what made the difference for me was playback equipment.  When that improved, I noticed.  But that's putting it strongly, really.  There's no remarkable difference.  I might actually try the experiment you suggested.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx