gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:01:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which BB's played on their Early Songs?  (Read 1990 times)
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2013, 06:19:23 AM »

i'm a bit tired, and havn't looked a lot yet,

BUT!

has anyone ever made a complete reference of who plays on what? of all the particular early BB sessions?

We know on some Brian plays Bass... but then so did Al..... and on the cover of surfin safari, there's Carl on Bass.....

is there a direct page online, say, where I can see who played on 'don't worry baby'.... etc etc

Thanks,

RickB
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 06:45:00 AM »

The short answer is, all of them. There was a long-held myth that the band hardly played on any of their songs after summer 1963 - in fact, David Leaf may have started it by stating Dennis didn't drum on the "LDC" single and Brian didn't know how to break it to him (the AFM sheet tells a different tale) - that was slowly dismantled by the rigorous research of such people as c-man, Stephen McParland & Jon Stebbins. The first tracks to feature any of the Crew were "Catch A Wave", "Hawaii" (I think) and "Our Car Club" (strictly, not the latter as it was a Honeys track - "Rabbit's Foot" - that he recycled), but the first track to feature no BB whatsoever was "WDFFIL". Obviously the 1965 songs feature the Crew to a great extent, but still not exclusively: the only projects to feature Hal & Co. overwhelmingly were Pet Sounds and Smile.

The basic instrumentation 1962-65 was:

Dennis - drums
Brian - bass, keyboards
Alan - bass, guitar
Carl - guitar, bass (and drums on one track !)
David - guitar
Mike - sax

There isn't a worthwhile page for "who-played-what" on all the pre-Pet Sounds stuff, but this one - http://www.beachboysarchives.com/page1 - is several light years beyond outstanding on the albums it does cover. If anyone wondered why c-man was asked to do the sessionographies for the last two box sets, now you know.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 06:54:41 AM »

Also interesting is this topic: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,16265.0.html

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 06:58:45 AM »

Smile-Holland and AGD.....

Thankyou as always....

what track did Carl drum on?.....

Great info. Thankyou.

Rb
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 07:45:21 AM »

Ah crap... I've forgotten. An instrumental... "Moon Dawg" ?

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 08:13:55 AM »

The Beach Boys FAQ book (Backbeat 2011) features a track by track breakdown of  the instruments each Beach Boy played on a slew of 1962 - 1965 tracks...research by C-man and myself.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 08:41:59 AM »

The whole book is a delight.

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 06:56:39 PM »

The whole book is a delight.

"TOO MANY FAT GUYS"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pure genius! I get a nice laugh just about every single day off that one!  Grin
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 09:48:16 PM »

ahhh Jon, The Beach Boys FAQ...... that's the "Only" book of yours I don't yet have in my collection!

Will order one, Thankyou.

RickB  Smiley

Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 10:39:09 PM »

Ah crap... I've forgotten. An instrumental... "Moon Dawg" ?

yeppers.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
dombanzai
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 11:52:57 PM »

The short answer is, all of them. There was a long-held myth that the band hardly played on any of their songs after summer 1963 - in fact, David Leaf may have started it by stating Dennis didn't drum on the "LDC" single and Brian didn't know how to break it to him (the AFM sheet tells a different tale) - that was slowly dismantled by the rigorous research of such people as c-man, Stephen McParland & Jon Stebbins. The first tracks to feature any of the Crew were "Catch A Wave", "Hawaii" (I think) and "Our Car Club" (strictly, not the latter as it was a Honeys track - "Rabbit's Foot" - that he recycled), but the first track to feature no BB whatsoever was "WDFFIL". Obviously the 1965 songs feature the Crew to a great extent, but still not exclusively: the only projects to feature Hal & Co. overwhelmingly were Pet Sounds and Smile.

The basic instrumentation 1962-65 was:

Dennis - drums
Brian - bass, keyboards
Alan - bass, guitar
Carl - guitar, bass (and drums on one track !)
David - guitar
Mike - sax

There isn't a worthwhile page for "who-played-what" on all the pre-Pet Sounds stuff, but this one - http://www.beachboysarchives.com/page1 - is several light years beyond outstanding on the albums it does cover. If anyone wondered why c-man was asked to do the sessionographies for the last two box sets, now you know.

What a fascinating website that is. Very in-depth info on each song and although I have only read about the first three tracks on Today, I have picked up several bits that I never knew about – for instance, Marilyn singing on Do You Wanna Dance. I look forward to reading the rest of it. Terrific.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx