gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681551 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 12, 2024, 07:09:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: In praise of Friends  (Read 8095 times)
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2013, 03:51:46 PM »

This record has really grown on me since I bought it 3 decades ago. From start to finish I can see why Brian felt it was his personal favorite. There's just something about it. When BWPS arrived I had a big drive ahead of me on the day of delivery. I loaded that, Sgt Peppers, Wild Honey and Friends to see how the alternate timeline would have sounded had Smile come out as planned (I know BWPS isn't the 67 version, but you get the idea). Amazingly it was a musical feast that fit together so well I still recall the Euphoria. I also vividly thinking that Friends would have bookended the musical direction of Brian no matter which timeline occurred, as it really is music to cool off with. The longer Meant For You sealed it for me.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 05:03:04 PM »

Easily in my top 3 Beach Boys records.

Creative production techniques, beautiful songwriting, and on top of that it has some of the greatest vocals the Beach Boys ever recorded. It gets really ragged on for not having any hits; An album shouldn't be a vessel for a few hit songs to cruise on. It should be a cohesive statement, a collection of songs that conveys the artist's emotions/thoughts. Friends has many standouts (Friends, Little Bird, Busy Doin Nothin, Anna Lee), as well as truly creative compositions. Friends paints a perfect picture of being a child-like adult in a crazy world.

Joe Thomas says that Brian's upcoming album will be the last of a "trilogy" - "Pet Sounds, Smile, and the Jeff Beck album". I think Joe forgets that Friends already completed that "trilogy" - It's the grownup version of Pet Sounds...an album about loved ones, children, and, of course, friends.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rogerlancelot
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 05:13:56 PM »

How in the world could that "trilogy" not include Love You? I always saw that one as a later day Pet Sounds.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 05:57:43 PM »

How in the world could that "trilogy" not include Love You? I always saw that one as a later day Pet Sounds.

True true. I don't see how Joe overlooked Friends or Love You...but as someone else said, saying this new album is the "end of a trilogy" is just a marketing gimmick. Hopefully it will be a great album though.

The idea behind my trilogy is stemmed from the conceptual ideas of Pet Sounds and Friends (the story of love, and then growing up - just made sense to me that they'd be part of a trilogy).

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Ninten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 06:05:45 PM »

I think Pet Sounds, Love You and then maybe Brian Wilson 88 make a better trilogy.
On topic, I think Friends is way underrated. Prefer it over Sunflower and Surf's Up.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 06:17:12 PM »

Friends is a great overlooked album. The first 4 songs in particular are very strong. And now that I think about it, Love You is actually closer to Today! in terms of upbeat songs on one side and slower songs on the other. And Friends has the distinction of being completely different than what was actually charting at the time but also possibly ahead of its time. Very mellow until the crash in "Diamond Head" and the blasting TM but it probably needed that touch.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 08:57:34 PM »

I feel I'm one of the few on the board that isn't all that impressed with Friends. The title track, Busy Doin' Nothin', and Passing By are some of my absolute favorite Beach Boy songs, but the rest feels underwritten. For the first time, some of Brian's melodies sound pedestrian. Anna Lee The Healer, Be Here In the Morning, and When A Man Needs A Woman sound especially trite. I love the mood of Friends but I feel the songwriting is a step down from Smiley Smile and Wild Honey.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 09:18:32 PM »

I absolutely love Friends, might be my favorite Beach Boys album.

I love the songwriting on the album. It doesn't really try to tackle any big subject, but it remains small, heartfelt, and to the point.
The production is great. All those bells on "Be Here in the Morning" are easy to miss, but they fit so well.
The singing is good, as well. "Passing By" is an outstanding track.
It's also fun to listen for all the background sounds.

There is something really endearing about this album to me.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 10:36:13 PM »

Friends has been my favorite beach boys album probably from my 3rd or 4th listen, back around 1992 or so. I used to volunteer at the local library as a high school student, and I checked it out several times before purchasing it out right.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 11:06:38 PM »

I feel I'm one of the few on the board that isn't all that impressed with Friends. The title track, Busy Doin' Nothin', and Passing By are some of my absolute favorite Beach Boy songs, but the rest feels underwritten. For the first time, some of Brian's melodies sound pedestrian. Anna Lee The Healer, Be Here In the Morning, and When A Man Needs A Woman sound especially trite. I love the mood of Friends but I feel the songwriting is a step down from Smiley Smile and Wild Honey.

You pretty much nailed it for me. I agree with you that the title track and "Passing By" are super nice. I also would add "Diamond Head" to that, I think it's really different for The Beach Boys and it really works. But the rest....underwritten does seem to sum it up. It really seems like it was kinda minor league compared to the stuff Brian had done before, even the Wild Honey stuff. They were just kinda, well...insubstantial songs. Like they could float off into the breeze. Not taxing mentally or emotionally. And I think possibly that's why it appealed to Brian. I know that's why it used to appeal to me, until I just realized there is better music and just better Beach Boys music I could listen to. On the other hand though, I feel that "I Went To Sleep" from 20/20 bests all of the stuff from the prior album just because it sounds fuller and more focused, oddly enough. It gives me a vibe for Brian in the late '60s and it sums up cutting yourself from the world and curlin' up in bed and going to sleep.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 11:17:36 PM »

You pretty much nailed it for me. I agree with you that the title track and "Passing By" are super nice. I also would add "Diamond Head" to that, I think it's really different for The Beach Boys and it really works. But the rest....underwritten does seem to sum it up. It really seems like it was kinda minor league compared to the stuff Brian had done before, even the Wild Honey stuff. They were just kinda, well...insubstantial songs. Like they could float off into the breeze. Not taxing mentally or emotionally. And I think possibly that's why it appealed to Brian. I know that's why it used to appeal to me, until I just realized there is better music and just better Beach Boys music I could listen to. On the other hand though, I feel that "I Went To Sleep" from 20/20 bests all of the stuff from the prior album just because it sounds fuller and more focused, oddly enough. It gives me a vibe for Brian in the late '60s and it sums up cutting yourself from the world and curlin' up in bed and going to sleep.

I'm with you guys.  Under written, under produced.....  (Trite is a VERY apt description.)  I could go on but this thread is in PRAISE of friends so... Smiley
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 11:27:01 PM »

I'm with you guys.  Under written, under produced.....  (Trite is a VERY apt description.)  I could go on but this thread is in PRAISE of friends so... Smiley

Guys, if you want to put down an album, which you absolutely have the right to do, please don't do that in a thread that is supposed to praise that album. I think that is disrespectful to the person who opened that thread. Of course you have the right to do so, but I'd prefer you'd open another thread like "Friends pro and contra" or "Friends is overrated" or something like that and post your opinion there.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 11:28:17 PM »

Mellow and inviting, Friends is a great big hug you don't wanna break out of, with home spun open chatty lyrics  only a family could put down so successfully.

This is a humble record, and a bit like a vacation from themselves, perhaps, with TM signalling break time is over and it's back to BB business.

Many, many highlights with the bass on the chorus of Anna Lee and the entirety of BDN leading the pack.  Awesome and amazing.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 03:55:59 AM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
bluesno1fann
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 12:49:00 AM »

To be honest, I never really got into the album as much as many others. I've found myself preferring to listen to Wild Honey, and all albums from 20/20 to Holland more than Friends. Don't get me wrong, it's a hell of a album, but somehow, It's never really been a favourite at all for me.  
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 01:10:24 AM »

The "trilogy" stuff sounds like a Joe Thomas marketing campaign to me. Brian Wilson is not going to put out another Pet Sounds or Smile and he doesn't have to as far as I'm concerned.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 01:17:18 AM by phirnis » Logged
ash
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 01:12:29 AM »

I really like Friends. It's one of my top 5 Beach Boys albums. When i first heard it i wasn't impressed with the exception of Busy Doing Nothing,Diamond Head and Transcendental Meditation (which rocks and is hilarious too). It's one of those records that is deceptively light in the same way that Burt Bacharach can be but deeper analysis reveals great compositional technique.ideas and arrangements in places. Sit at the piano and work the songs out. It'll really up your appreciation of what Brian's doing here.
Although there are some weaker tracks, the only things i'd change would be Be Still and Little Bird. I think those would have been better on 20/20 (certainly Be Still less so Little Bird) and in their place i would put Time To Get Alone,Sail Plane Song and I Went To Sleep as they seem to fit in so well with the overall mood of the album.
With a little more work this album could have been a masterpiece. As it is, it's probably the last really "Brian" album of the classic Beach Boys era.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2013, 01:57:48 AM »

I'm with you guys.  Under written, under produced.....  (Trite is a VERY apt description.)  I could go on but this thread is in PRAISE of friends so... Smiley

Guys, if you want to put down an album, which you absolutely have the right to do, please don't do that in a thread that is supposed to praise that album. I think that is disrespectful to the person who opened that thread. Of course you have the right to do so, but I'd prefer you'd open another thread like "Friends pro and contra" or "Friends is overrated" or something like that and post your opinion there.

But with respect Micha, do we really need separate threads for opposing views on the album? Personally I can't stand this board's obsession with starting multiple threads on one topic (e.g. "Things not already addressed in the post-release-MIC-not-just-the-tracks-but-the-other-stuff thread"). Three guesses what will happen in a 'Friends is overrated' thread - lots of people will chime in with how much they love it. Besides clogging the board up, I think it's unnatural and a little dull to limit threads to one opinion only. What does the OP think?

Friends is one of my favourites. It really feels like an album with a unifying sound and concept to all the songs that ties things together. It feels very effortless and peaceful, wit the exception of Transcendental Meditation which is a bit jarring at the end there.

Anna Lee The Healer, Be Here In the Morning, and When A Man Needs A Woman sound especially trite. I love the mood of Friends but I feel the songwriting is a step down from Smiley Smile and Wild Honey.

I would agree that Anna Lee that Anna Lee is on the lighter side, but I find Be Here In The Morning pretty complex and exciting, with the wordless interludes, the bells, and that crazy "Fuuuulllll".

When A Man Needs A Woman is great. Perhaps on the lighter side but that organ break spices things up. It has the theme of expectant fatherhood which makes it interesting to me as this is a favourite theme for Brian and Dennis at this time. I strongly believe that the foreboding piano intro to Child Is Father Of The Man is supposed to convey the nervous expectation of a father awaiting the birth of a child, as it's promptly followed by the trumpet wail which signals the baby's arrival ("That's our baby!"). This trumpet part of course is recycled by Dennis (or was it Brian's idea?) in Little Bird. Not forgetting Dennis' line in Be With Me: "A new child is born. The mother is still waiting. Father's over there anticipating".
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 02:40:27 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2013, 03:35:21 AM »

Love it, from Meant For You to Transcendental Meditation, and all stops in between.

It may also be one of Australia's World Record Club's most celebrated releases!

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2013, 03:56:03 AM »

Love it, from Meant For You to Transcendental Meditation, and all stops in between.

It may also be one of Australia's World Record Club's most celebrated releases!

I've got the pink one. Do you think it's a good idea to collect the other colours, or would it be a waste of time and money?
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2013, 04:59:12 AM »

I really feel this is one of the downright most fascinating albums in all of pop and rock music. It may be "underproduced" and "underwritten" by conventional standards but in a way that's the whole point of Friends. This time BW clearly did not aspire to produce a big masterpiece and personally I think he deliberately went in the opposite direction, yet still somehow managing to increase the adventurous side of the music, which is an odd combination that works marvelously well.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2013, 05:29:08 AM »

But with respect Micha, do we really need separate threads for opposing views on the album?

Not per se, that's why I proposed a "Friends pro & contra" thread. Posting negative things in an appraisal thread makes me feel it spoils the thread.

Hmm... When I imagine a "Friends sucks" thread and somebody posts positive things about it there, that doesn't make me feel it spoils the thread. Strange but true. I guess I want people to feel good and not spoil their enjoying their positive emotions by stating how unfinished and half-assed their beloved album seems to me, but when somebody sees something in an absolutely negative way, I like to point out the good things.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2013, 05:38:30 AM »

I love Friends, it's one of my favourite albums,  but I welcome the views of those who disagree.  Learning how to disagree amicably is a useful tool.

A thread which contains just one opinion / viewpoint is tedious and pointless.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2013, 05:47:12 AM »

Could someone point me which parts of Friends album are underwritten? How can anyone write genius songs celebrating the joys of everyday life any better than that?

Think if it was overwritten... That would ruin the whole thing.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2013, 06:26:57 AM »

A thread which contains just one opinion / viewpoint is tedious and pointless.
Nailed it.

I love "Friends". Its got a cohesion about it that really draws the entire album together. Very much a summer album for me. And "Passing By" is magical and mysterious--I don't understand why it is so enjoyable.

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2013, 06:28:23 AM »

I honestly don't mind the contra statements regarding the album. After all, we are all Friends here. Bah dum pah.

I didn't particularly like it when I first got it all those years ago. However, there is something about it that breathes. It is like a cool breeze on a hot summer's day. It most certainly doesn't have the impact of Smile, but it does have something - to my ears anyway. Much like "A Little Touch of Schmilsson in the Night" it bucks the current musical trends of the day and does its own thing.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx