gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 04:45:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anyone else disappointed with Do It Again (stereo mix) from MiC?  (Read 5050 times)
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2013, 10:45:33 AM »

First of all, the mix is pretty good, but it isn't the most exciting mix of this song I ever heard.

Take this as a contrast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQxdx-ScCvg

The MiC stereo version does not give much seperation to the backing track.
Most importantly they more or less muted the organ, which is an utter disaster given that it makes the song go from great to tremendous. You can feel the warmth of the sun when that organ as it rises in the 2nd half of the first verse especially and during the outro. The use of organs by the Beach Boys is far underrated and DIA is a prime example of that. Who in their right mind would want to bury that? (perhaps the organ overdub tape is missing?)

Otherwise the stereo seperation of the harmonies are excellent! Also great one can hear that bass sax out in the right channel.

Any thoughts?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 10:59:27 AM »

I wonder what Steve Desper thinks of it.

Personally, I like the version on the "Endless Harmony" disc.  And I really like the stereo version on MIC, but now that you mention it not so much if a major instrument like the organ was 'muted' or mixed down.....

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 11:06:48 AM »

Is that an extraction mix?  How did they make a stereo mix without the multis?

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 11:26:20 AM »

I posted this before. Mike's lead sounds muddy and too isolated. Like way by itself in the middle. Maybe lacks echo and reverb.  The rest of tthe mix sounds pretty good but it's not the holy grail of missing stereo mixes by any means.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
beacharg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 11:28:00 AM »

What about this extended-outro version? Is it available in an official release?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 12:05:36 PM »

They finally found the multri-track of "Do It Again" in a ditch along Coldwater Canyon Rd. in L.A.

Naw, seriously, they just recently found a tape (or tapes) to enable them to make a stereo mix.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 12:22:07 PM »

I wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be.  I loved the earlier stereo remixes and Pet Sounds Sessions but now I'm not as blown away by the officially released mixes.  Still love fan mixes though like Little Girl I Once Knew and 409 etc.  maybe the mix of You've Lost That Loving Feeling has put me off!
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 12:23:54 PM »

They finally found the multri-track of "Do It Again" in a ditch along Coldwater Canyon Rd. in L.A.

Naw, seriously, they just recently found a tape (or tapes) to enable them to make a stereo mix.

I think he meant how did they make the stereo mix that is up on youtube...

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 12:26:34 PM »

Is that an extraction mix?  How did they make a stereo mix without the multis?

Yes, the question was, as southbay says, what was used for the YouTube mix, uploaded almost 6 years ago in Jan. 2008.

And I would love to hear more about the missing multi-track tapes that were recently acquired.  Who had 'em, how many were there, and what's contained therein?  Could be they were simply found somewhere, or maybe they were re-acquired via threat of legal action if not returned.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 12:28:31 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 12:34:48 PM »

Upon first hearing it, my impression was that it was mixed to sound like the live arrangement from last year's tour.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 12:47:54 PM »

Sorry, didn't read the OP's post well enough regarding "Do It Again" on YouTube.

Yeah, evidently the Do It Again tape was found within the past couple of years. And I think it's a safety copy or somethng - could be wrong but I don't think it was the original that Steve Desper supposedly lost off the trunk of his Corvette in '68. Surprised the details on the finding weren't really made public - I just found out about a month ago on this board. Certainly there was no hoopla over it like there was over the finding of the multi's for Don't Worry Baby and Why Do Fools Fall in Love.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 01:07:07 PM »

Sorry, didn't read the OP's post well enough regarding "Do It Again" on YouTube.

Yeah, evidently the Do It Again tape was found within the past couple of years. And I think it's a safety copy or somethng - could be wrong but I don't think it was the original that Steve Desper supposedly lost off the trunk of his Corvette in '68. Surprised the details on the finding weren't really made public - I just found out about a month ago on this board. Certainly there was no hoopla over it like there was over the finding of the multi's for Don't Worry Baby and Why Do Fools Fall in Love.

The original stereo mixdown reel is what went flying out of the car, not the actual multitrack.

Mix sounds fine to me. Nothing really leaps out at me, but that's kind of the sign of a tasteful stereo remix. I might have to do an A/B to hear this missing organ, though.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 01:25:12 PM »

The original stereo mixdown reel is what went flying out of the car, not the actual multitrack.

Mix sounds fine to me. Nothing really leaps out at me, but that's kind of the sign of a tasteful stereo remix. I might have to do an A/B to hear this missing organ, though.
I'm with you, it sounds fine to me, as well.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 02:01:45 PM »

I dig it!
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 02:27:18 PM »

The new mix sounds great, and an unexpected highlight for me.  I'm not overly supportive of the stereo remix thing for various reasons, but do like this one.

Whatevs, because in any presentation, this is a great song on it's own merits.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 02:52:43 PM »

I was disappointed and am glad to know I'm not the only one.  I'm been compiling my own "definitive career spanning boxed set" of the Boys ("Then I Kissed Her", "4th Of July", live "Wild Honey", "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again", etc).  I planned to use MiC as a starting place, and fill in the holes with the '93 box and the individual albums, adjusting the volumes where necessary.*  The idea was that the new box had the most recent mixes, using the newest technology, etc. but when it came to "Do It Again" I didn't like what I heard.  I don't know where the "best" mix is but since I don't like it with "Workshop" tacked onto it, I just went with the one from Made In U.S.A. 

* I used specific preferred mixes in certain places ("Wouldn't It Be Nice" with Brian on the bridge, some of Seltaeb's mixes, etc.)
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 04:41:18 PM »

I think it sounds great.  One of my favorites on MiC and quite possibly my all time favorite stereo remix.  I always liked this song but felt like the original mono mix sounded a bit lifeless.  The stereo mix really opens it up, and it sounds balanced on all of my stereo systems.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2013, 06:59:31 PM »

I just listened to the song thru my Adam A7 studio monitors.. Musically, it sounds sounds great!  Alot of instrument dynamics really pop out. But the lead vocal is muddy sounding, a bit low in the mix. Could use some additional reverb/echo.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
silodweller
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2013, 12:36:02 AM »

Personally I really dislike the mix of "Do It Again" found on MIC.  My hi-fi doesn't think it's all too great either...   Cool

"Carl broke his cigarette over his G string, we're sorry..."
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2013, 04:42:09 AM »

I just listened to the song thru my Adam A7 studio monitors.. Musically, it sounds sounds great!  Alot of instrument dynamics really pop out. But the lead vocal is muddy sounding, a bit low in the mix. Could use some additional reverb/echo.

Interesting - I always thought the "Do It Again" vocal had almost too much reverb and effect on it. Has that ever been explained? It feels like an intentional aesthetic choice, but it's still unique and there's not much else (if anything) from that period that uses the same effect.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2013, 07:15:51 AM »

Mike's lead sounds muddy and too isolated. Like way by itself in the middle. Maybe lacks echo and reverb. 

But the lead vocal is muddy sounding, a bit low in the mix. Could use some additional reverb/echo.

I'm thinking that the vocal treatment for the MIC stereo mix was perhaps an aesthetic choice aimed at retaining the vibe of the original mix.  I think there is definitely some added reverb/ambience there, but it is rather short and small-roomy (as on the original).  Or perhaps the original reverb was in some way already printed on to the multitrack, so there was little room to manoeuvre in terms of vocal reverb/echo for the new mix.

Either way, as Runners suggests, it does kind of make for a more tasteful(/faithful) stereo mix because it helps it to retain the character of the original.

Is that an extraction mix?  How did they make a stereo mix without the multis?

Yes, the question was, as southbay says, what was used for the YouTube mix, uploaded almost 6 years ago in Jan. 2008.

Heh, indeed!   Smiley Noticed the upload date and was intrigued.  Or the makers of that mix got their hands on the multis before ML et al

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2013, 07:40:49 AM »

I like it.
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2013, 12:17:38 PM »

It sounds like it was made using the early version on Endless Harmony.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2013, 12:38:14 PM »

First of all, the mix is pretty good, but it isn't the most exciting mix of this song I ever heard.

Take this as a contrast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQxdx-ScCvg

This sounds like it was done by panning the 20/20 mix to one channel and the early mix to the other. Not true stereo in the least, sounds fairly sloppy in spots (and no, not in any good ways) for various reasons, nor would I say it compares well to the properly done stereo mix on MIC at all.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 12:40:48 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Pacific Coast
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2013, 01:33:44 PM »

I think its a great song. But the original production is flat, and the stereo remix is weak. It's much better in a live setting. I loved it at the Roxy.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx