gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:21:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tracks you'd wish was on MIC  (Read 15203 times)
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2013, 06:42:02 PM »

So, given this lack of some other rarities, are people a little ambivalent about MIC?

Not me but given a "wish"...
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2013, 09:54:24 PM »

A few years back, a doobie bros boxed set came out, filled with hits, rarities,  live tracks. But for whatever reason, Without You was omitted. Many collectors and fans, though they probably had purchased the song 10x over, were astonished. I feel the same way about MIC omitting Then i Kissed Her. Glaring oversight on an otherwise great box. it just doesn't feel complete without it. Salt lake city, which I don't think anyone was clamoring for, could have easily been dropped in favor of it. A cool but inessential album track with a 12 year old mix...it would not really have been missed.

As I said, I totally agree.  And that's a perfect comparison with the Doobies too.
Thanks Phoenix! Upon rereading my post, i saw an auto correct mistake and fixed it. Inessential, not identical
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2013, 11:26:27 PM »

I was turning on my phone with MIC on it, wanted Steamboat, confident it was there but no! So I'll start with my "missing tracks" list:

1) I've got a friend (live)
2) Steamboat
You have MIC on your phone? You mean you dialed a number and heard MIC on someone's answering machine? I'm confused.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2013, 12:30:57 AM »

My realistic wishlist:

Lady ("Landlocked" mix instead of what they included)
Big Sur ("Landlocked" mix)
Suzie Cincinnati ("Landlocked" mix instead of what they included)
What'd I Say
CIFOTM (Brian 1966 mix)
Here Today (mono)
Drive-In (mono)

The not-so-realistic wishlist:

I'm Broke (Brian 1996 vocals)
It's Not Easy Being Me (Brian 1996 vocals)
Surf's Up live with strings early 70s

Totally unrealistic wishlist:

Do You Like Worms (finished version with new vocals from Al, Bruce and Mike)
CIFOTM (finished version with new vocals from Al, Bruce and Mike)
Holidays (finished version with new vocals from Al, Bruce and Mike)
Look (finished version with new vocals from Al, Bruce and Mike)

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
ash
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2013, 03:51:17 AM »

Good list Micha.
However your "unrealistic" wishlist is perhaps only 3/4 unrealistic. I'm not sure how hard it would be for Al to sit down with Brian and Van Dyke, play them that vocal snippet from the boxset and say "Gee Brian i'd love to finish this one up it was always one of my favourites and all it needs is the 2nd part of the melody line. I've got the lyrics here. Just how much cake do you need to remember the rest of that melody ? We can play it live or i can dub on the lead in half an hour with Mark Linnett for the Smile Volume 2 box. It'll be a smash.We're bound to sell a million units."

Holidays/Look and Child are more difficult as we have so little to go on unless something (missing Look vocal multitrack/composing demos ?) turns up or unless Brian has a mahoosive flashback.
Given current circumstances i think the unrealistic bit might be the Mike/Bruce overdub but we don't need them for this track.
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2013, 06:27:39 AM »

This thread is already the root of MiC vol II.

which is so going to happen.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 06:32:41 AM by chris.metcalfe » Logged
pmugghc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2013, 07:14:45 AM »

You have MIC on your phone? You mean you dialed a number and heard MIC on someone's answering machine? I'm confused.

Yes, a Nexus 4 smartphone with 16GB memory, using it instead of an MP3 player.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 07:16:04 AM by pmugghc » Logged
shangaijoeBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2013, 08:09:22 AM »

what I would like to see as a 2cd comp sequel to MIC (Brothers Years rarities):

cd1 (1969-1976)

Add Some Music To Your Day (Alternate lyrics)
Im' Goin Your Way
Walkin'
My Solution
Big Sur (Landlocked version)
Seasons in the Sun
Sweet & Bitter
Awake (demo)
Won't You Tell Me
It's A New Day
Ecology/All My Love
Iv'e Got A Friend (track+live)
We Got Love
Carry Me Home
Out in the Country
Hard Times
River Song (early version)
Battle Hymn of the Republic (yes!! Wink)
Rollin' Up to Heaven
Child of Winter (alternate mix)
We Gotta Groove
Michael, Row the boat Ashore
Mony, Mony
Running Bear
Shake, Rattle and Roll
Sea Cruise
Ruby Baby

cd 2 (1976-1981)

The Night Was So Young (vocals only)
That Special Feeling
My Diane (early version)
Lazy Lizzie
Marilyn Rovell
Life is for the Living
It's Trying To Say
Everybody Wants To Live
Lines
Shortenin' Bread (early version)
New England Waltz
How's About a little bit of your Sweet Lovin'
Go and Get That Girl
Brian's Back (early version)
Calendar Girl
Looking Down the Coast
Santa Ana Winds (early version)
River Deep, Mountain High
Be my Baby
Stevie
Oh Lord (KTSA outtake)

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2013, 08:37:50 AM »

But it has to be the proper Out in the Country.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2013, 10:02:01 AM »

Good list Micha.
However your "unrealistic" wishlist is perhaps only 3/4 unrealistic. I'm not sure how hard it would be for Al to sit down with Brian and Van Dyke, play them that vocal snippet from the boxset and say "Gee Brian i'd love to finish this one up it was always one of my favourites and all it needs is the 2nd part of the melody line. I've got the lyrics here. Just how much cake do you need to remember the rest of that melody ? We can play it live or i can dub on the lead in half an hour with Mark Linnett for the Smile Volume 2 box. It'll be a smash.We're bound to sell a million units."

Holidays/Look and Child are more difficult as we have so little to go on unless something (missing Look vocal multitrack/composing demos ?) turns up or unless Brian has a mahoosive flashback.
Given current circumstances i think the unrealistic bit might be the Mike/Bruce overdub but we don't need them for this track.

I'll probably annoy you now, but I think the DYLW vocal snippet from TSS is a background vocal line, and I could go without it, though I'd prefer that touch of color to be there. I'd be happy if they completed it as they are on BWPS, and I want Mike on lead for Holidays and the CIFOTM verse "Easy my child..." Al or Bruce should do the lead on DYLW.
And if it was a realistic wish, they could have done it for TSS.

On my realistic list I forgot "Custom Machine".

TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2013, 10:10:14 AM »

I know I will be flogged (edited in) for what I'm about to write, but I don't care, it cannot be said enough, and it should be repeated on a daily basis until someone who matters hears it: THIS BOX SET IS A TRAVESTY for the simple fact that the same m----erf-----g g----d-----n greatest hits songs were repeated AGAIN for the gazillionth time, most recently a YEAR ago in the form of not just one, but TWO greatest hits compilations: 50 Big Ones and Greatest Hits. The idea that the casual fan was going to spend 125 g----d---n dollars on a Beach Boys box set is ludicrous. It was only EVER us die hards who were EVER going to spend 125 on a box set, and we have the vast majority of the songs on the box set 100 times over. For the LIFE of me, I don't understand why we didn't boycott it.

What OBVIOUSLY should have been released is a comendium of all unreleased tracks. And I'm talking truly unreleased (including live tracks) and not the 2013 mix of California Girls (or whatever) or the stereo mix of This Car of Mine (or whatever). Why did we not riot over MIC?? I just don't understand. For the record, I DID NOT buy it. I would buy anything by the Beach Boys including an album full of Teeter Totter Loves, but I REFUSE to pay BIG MONEY for a set that is primarily composed of tracks I already have in my collection not just once, but in many cases a dozen times over (again including from 2012's 50 Big Ones which I DID stupidly buy just to show my support).

The posters on this site are incredibly, incredibly intelligent. So the how hell did you let yourself get snookered? ONCE AGAIN???
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 10:13:51 AM by TimmyC » Logged
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2013, 10:10:38 AM »

meant to edit my previous post... sorry....
ash
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2013, 10:20:13 AM »

You could well be right on Worms Micha. I'd love to know either way and i wanna hear the "Having returned to the east or west indies " lyrics in context sung by Al too.
I'm not convinced by the additions on Child,Holidays and Look on BWPS. I would like someone to sit the guys down and quiz them about all these little Smile mysteries...they may know nothing but i don't believe i've seen them asked directly.
There have been some amazing archival finds in the non-beach boys world recently...Laurel and Hardy,Orson Welles,Metropolis,Johnny Kidd and The Pirates (i found that one !),The 3 Stooges etc. While we wait a definitive report on the recently auctioned Durrie Parks acetates i would suggest all is still not lost. I posted an article a year or so ago about record company archiving and they all have mahoosive piles of uncatalogued tape,unboxed etc. with no way of knowing what's on them until they listen to them. You never know...
Today's missing story recovery is that of Doctor Who...after midnight it'll be announced just what has been found ...an amazing story and hope for all of us.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2013, 10:47:45 AM »

I'll probably annoy you now, but I think the DYLW vocal snippet from TSS is a background vocal line, and I could go without it

Listen to these and tell me if you still feel that way.

http://www.mediafire.com/?jhz7t9q1o7g53mb

http://www.mediafire.com/?dztw18x2sazl1qb

I'm convinced that Brian remembered the lyrics in 2004 but not the melody.  The vocal line for the "worms" verses if very unlike the rest of Smile, and is barely a melody at all; more like a chant.  Given the context that could have been the intent but why check the tempo against an "insignificant" background part?  I'm pretty certain that was the intended vocal line.  It's my belief that if the "chant" was actually intended for the song in 1966/67, IT is the part that would have been the background part/counter melody, as I show the example in the second file. 

You have to use your imagination a bit and picture the respective line, each time I used the repeated snippet, but the lyrics are a perfect fit with the melody.  From the control room, Brian sings something like "A once upon a time in ala da da da da..."  It's pretty easy to see that line as "A once upon a time among the sa-and wich isles", or something to that effect.  The rest of it isn't a complete fit but that's why we need Al to finish it!  Grin

Either way, give them a listen and see if it changes your opinion.  If not, that's fine.  I just think that missing bit is the MAIN melody rather than a background part and think you might at least find that theory interesting.   Smiley
TopCat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2013, 11:02:08 AM »

What would I have wished to see on MIC? That's easy: a lower price tag.
(I'm still saving ..... by Christmas maybe.)

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'll fetch my coat.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2013, 01:23:59 PM »

I'm kinda of two minds. I like having more unreleased stuff to look forward to. So I'm glad they didn't empty the vault (just as I never expected them to!)

All kinds of other stuff would still be interesting by the way. Backing tracks, early version, vocals-only versions. There is still a lot of interesting Beach Boys and Brian Wilson stuff to be released.

So, given this lack of so other real rarities, are people a little ambivalent about MIC?

I'm not sure if this is a joke or something, but no, not me at least. Thanks to the release of the set, I now have stuff I'd dreamt about for years, like "Where Is She?" and the demo of "California Feelin'", not to mention great stuff like "(Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again", the official Beach Boys version of "California Feelin'", the live "Wild Honey" with Blondie on vocals, "You're Still A Mystery", "Back Home", and lots of other stuff.

No joke at all!  MIC is great for what it is, I just find myself wishing for more of these “rarities” that people are talking about.  Not being an “uber-collector” I’ve never heard most of these.

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2013, 05:33:29 AM »

You could well be right on Worms Micha. I'd love to know either way and i wanna hear the "Having returned to the east or west indies " lyrics in context sung by Al too.
I'm not convinced by the additions on Child,Holidays and Look on BWPS.

I'm sure Look was never completely written back in 1966, and the finished BWPS version is a bit unconvincing but works in the suite. It's better than being left totally unfinished though. The CIFTOM verse lyrics are said to be written in 2003, but the "I believe... I believe... I believe..." is as good as if it was written in 1966. The Holidays lyrics however seem to be close to what was written back then, according to some circumstances.

I imagine the "Having returned to the east or west indies" lyrics were to be placed over the "winding down" harpsichord part before the fade. The "we always got them confused" would match the music quite well.

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2013, 05:42:44 AM »

I'll probably annoy you now, but I think the DYLW vocal snippet from TSS is a background vocal line, and I could go without it

If you had bothered to quote my whole phrase you might have noticed it ended with "I could go without it, though I'd prefer that touch of color to be there." Would have saved you a bit of time posting all that. And FYI, I did use it as background vocals on my DYLW DIY mix on the second verse.

The main melody as on BWPS isn't very interesting, but there's no proof it was better in 1966.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2013, 09:31:46 AM »

Haven't seen "Thank Him (For Our Love)" in any of these lists. Might have missed it, of course. It's criminal that that gem has never officially seen the light of day...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Blake Alan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2013, 03:39:05 PM »

Wich Stand
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2013, 03:49:50 PM »

"Wich Stand" is a "Survivors" track.  Doubt we'll ever get to hear that.  Same with "Girlie" and "Hot Harp".

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Blake Alan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2013, 04:05:41 PM »

Yeah, a guy can hope though, right? My two biggest wants for MiC were 'Wich Stand' and 'Sound of Free'. I was actually pretty surprised to see either of them make it since neither were technically BB tracks. And yes, I'm afraid 'Wich Stand' will never see the light of day, given it's status as a Survivor's song. I mean, if not on a BB comp, where does it belong? Another BW productions comp?? There's probably plenty of material for a second volume, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2013, 04:27:22 PM »

A little history behind the song "Wich Stand". Wiki fudges a little, saying it was written by The Beach Boys. Maybe one of them....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wich_Stand

http://www.wichstand.com/

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2013, 02:16:50 AM »

m----erf-----g g----d-----n

Reported. What FILTH.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2013, 03:35:30 AM »

m----erf-----g g----d-----n

Reported. What FILTH.

And I was going to use flatus and rectum in a sentence. Sure glad I got a hold of my senses first.

Seriously, I would love to hear clean professionally mixed copies of "My Solution" and "Carry Me Home". Plus maybe something from the axed Denny tour rehearsals. And those early 70's Carl demos with moog and such. Vocals only mixes of "Goin' On" and "The Trader" (first half). A 2013 mix on "Chasin' The Sky". Maybe the early version of "Keeping The Summer Alive" that is supposed to rock much more. You could go on and on and on or just simply be thankful for what they did give us. Glass is half full or empty scenario.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx