gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680724 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Trading Cards !!  (Read 72861 times)
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 10, 2013, 11:49:35 AM »

Slightly annoying that these aren't being sold in the UK. Are the fabric cards actually pieces of fabric they used?
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 10, 2013, 12:23:30 PM »

Seeing that the picks are not used and are just commemorative, I'd rather have a piece of their clothing.
Marcella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 10, 2013, 12:34:42 PM »

Had an opened retail box of individual packs for sale at one Target near me. $2.99 for a pack of 8? On principle I purchased NONE. Gonna sound old here but I remember buying cigs for old folks in my neighborhood and getting to buy a pack of baseball cards as my service tip. In 1985 that meant 50 cents for a pack of 15 cards (no gum--I collected Fleer not Topps). $2.99 for a pack of 8 cards is just too crazy for me.

There are pretty good deals to be had on EBay for the regular 120 collector cards--may go for them at one point…not high on my priority list. I guess *THIS* is the limit of my BB Fandom
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 10, 2013, 01:17:28 PM »

$2.99 is cheap. A pack of Topps baseball is $4.99 now and there is even a luxury basketball product that sells for $1000!

My wal-mart doesn't have them yet.
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 10, 2013, 03:36:35 PM »

I didn't get any autographed cards in my set, but I did get a card with a snippet of Brian Wilson's shirt in it, as well as one with David's. Still haven't found any retail cards on sale around here... yet.

It appears pretty random which Targets get them. I've checked four in my area, and two had them. So it may not even be a regional thing.

I'm also perplexed on the guitar picks. They come one per box instead of two, and I've bought almost a box worth and didn't get one. This makes me think the clothes swatches are more common than the picks. But there are a lot of picks on Ebay, and going for less than swatches.

This makes me wonder if either the retail packs made it to market before the hobby packs, or if mabey more retail packs were produced than hobby packs.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 10, 2013, 04:32:54 PM »

Retail is usually produced more because it is being mass marketed. Hobby is just for one focused group of collectors.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 10, 2013, 05:01:07 PM »

Slightly annoying that these aren't being sold in the UK. Are the fabric cards actually pieces of fabric they used?

I'm not sure with these cards.

I know with other memorabilia cards (or costume cards), they use swatches of the same fabric used to make a shirt or piece of clothing. They don't actually take a movie prop and cut it into multiple pieces. That's how it was for the Lord of The Rings movie cards. So instead of cutting up one of Al Jardine's shirts from this past tour, they get a roll of cloth of the same fabric used to make Al's shirt and put that into the cards.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 10, 2013, 05:08:31 PM »

Retail is usually produced more because it is being mass marketed. Hobby is just for one focused group of collectors.

Seems as tho the Hobby ones are being marketed fairly well, tho, and it seems that the articles I've seen on these cards reference the Hobby cards.  
 I was under the impression that the HObby and Retail cards would be separate sets, and not combinable to complete a 10 card set; does anyone here know whether this is true/not?

I know with other memorabilia cards (or costume cards), they use swatches of the same fabric used to make a shirt or piece of clothing. They don't actually take a movie prop and cut it into multiple pieces. That's how it was for the Lord of The Rings movie cards. So instead of cutting up one of Al Jardine's shirts from this past tour, they get a roll of cloth of the same fabric used to make Al's shirt and put that into the cards.

That would be a good thing, if true in this case, as  i know I've mentioned previously that Als shirt are so small  they wouldn't allow for many swatches... 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 11, 2013, 06:02:05 PM »

The back of card reads that Panini guarantees the fabric is from clothing worn "in concert" by the band members.

But no mention of what tour or venues.  Maybe by studying photos from the 50th one could match a photo to a Concert Gear card?

I got a BW but its jet black so that could be from a solid black shirt or any shirt with black on it.  Roll Eyes

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 11, 2013, 06:15:00 PM »

The back of card reads that Panini guarantees the fabric is from clothing worn "in concert" by the band members.

But no mention of what tour or venues.  Maybe by studying photos from the 50th one could match a photo to a Concert Gear card?

I got a BW but its jet black so that could be from a solid black shirt or any shirt with black on it.  Roll Eyes

Maybe they'll do a show wearing the clothes the swatches were taken from, and we'll be able to see all the spots that are missing cloth....

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 11, 2013, 08:18:12 PM »

My BW swatch is yellow with a black patterned stripe on it. The DM one is blue, with a woven pattern in it. Both swatches look to be from C50 shirts, which makes me think it would be fairly easy to get remnants from the shirt manufacturer.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 11, 2013, 08:26:59 PM »

My BW swatch is yellow with a black patterned stripe on it. The DM one is blue, with a woven pattern in it. Both swatches look to be from C50 shirts, which makes me think it would be fairly easy to get remnants from the shirt manufacturer.

Someone probably needs to do some DNA testing on the swatches

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: November 11, 2013, 09:30:31 PM »

Got my hobby box and cracked it open. Nothing earth shattering, looks like the typical haul. My concert gear was Brian and David (anyone help me out with an Al?). Got another etching (strange, I pulled three etchings out of slightly less than a box worth of retail packs, but only got one in a full hobby box), more of the cool record cards, and got my only "Artist Proof", which seem pretty shady, basically just numbered (out of 99) versions of normal cards; I actually didn't even realize until I went through the cards a second time that I had even pulled one. Still, great fun. I could open packs all day.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 12, 2013, 02:04:19 PM »

Has anybody encountered one of the David Marks autographed cards?  I've managed to track down ones of Brian, Mike, Al, and Bruce.  But so far, I haven't seen any of the David's surface.
Marcella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 12, 2013, 02:25:59 PM »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Panini-The-Beach-Boys-MIKE-LOVE-Auto-Autograph-04-70-Signature-Gold-/151163243678?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2332080c9e

Someone sure loves them some Mike Love
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 12, 2013, 02:29:55 PM »

Got my hobby box and cracked it open. Nothing earth shattering, looks like the typical haul. My concert gear was Brian and David (anyone help me out with an Al?). Got another etching (strange, I pulled three etchings out of slightly less than a box worth of retail packs, but only got one in a full hobby box), more of the cool record cards, and got my only "Artist Proof", which seem pretty shady, basically just numbered (out of 99) versions of normal cards; I actually didn't even realize until I went through the cards a second time that I had even pulled one. Still, great fun. I could open packs all day.

If they are really "proofs" that means they were the first run, before production of the regular non-proof cards.
That's the way they do it with coins - the proofs are the first ones struck.

But these might only have the gold fold lettering/ number sequence.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 12, 2013, 02:33:14 PM »

Four-Hundred and Nine dollars - cute!!

No, I haven't seen a Dave Marks autograph yet. No doubt it will surface before long.

I guess Blondie wasn't included. Another Beach Boy set at naught.

Necessity knows no law
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 12, 2013, 03:21:43 PM »

But of course, the card has not sold at this price.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 12, 2013, 05:13:55 PM »

I'm ready when they mark it down to $4.09!!!  Evil
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 12, 2013, 06:59:53 PM »

I'm ready when they mark it down to $4.09!!!  Evil

It says "Best Offer", maybe you'll win if you try!

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 12, 2013, 07:05:21 PM »

Jeez, it's almost four times the price of Brian's
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brian-Wilson-Auto-44-65-The-Beach-Boys-Signature-Gold-21-Autograph-2013-Panini-/370937959293?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item565da0137d
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 12, 2013, 07:09:48 PM »

I suspect that when the auction is over, Brian's will sell for a lot more than $114.
CAFeelin89
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 13, 2013, 10:45:53 AM »

What stores are these cards being sold in? Does anyone know? I didn't see any at my Target store.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 13, 2013, 11:04:41 AM »

What stores are these cards being sold in? Does anyone know? I didn't see any at my Target store.

yeah, I hear ya, and I don't know. Out for errands today, I stopped in the Target I originally visited. Sopmeone had bought all the thick packs I returned last week, so I bought two others. Nothing special in them, just cards. ( what a waste of $$) 
 was near another Target, so I stopped in, but they're not stocking them. Don't know who makes the decisions as to which stores stock what, but I figure it must be the
salesperson/stocker/driver.  Target doesn't know anything about what is stocked. They couldn't even provide contact info for the company stocking the cards!! 

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: November 13, 2013, 11:12:19 AM »

Unreal. From a market-value angle, the card isn't even worth that, with the autograph. But again, the emotion of someone who doesn't have access being able to buy and own an autographed Brian Wilson trading card pretty much trumps any level of realistic value on items like this. But seriously, that's just a bit much for a "ready-made" collectible item versus, say, an autographed album. And the values assumed can be easily inflated in general beyond any realistic market value, just sayin'.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx