gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:45:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Kinks Discussion and Appreciation Thread  (Read 22544 times)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 13, 2016, 02:04:19 PM »

Didn't like Lola... except the hits
Not bothered about Muswell Hillbillies
Didn't much like most of Everybody's In Showbiz

Love Preservation Act 1!
Love Preservation Act 2!
And I would never have discovered this if not for internet streaming.

Go figure.
Wow, that's a surprise that you prefer Preservation over Muswell, Lola and Showbiz. There are a few good songs on the Preservation albums, but I find too much of it plot-driven - moving the story along became more important than the songs.

Yes, I know that's the widely held view, that's why it took so long to listen to it. But so far I haven't really listened to the words or tried to find anything out about the story- it's all been about the music so far. I actually enjoy hearing the female singers and less of the usual "rock band" format.
I think that's why so much of the RCA stuff loses me - not enough Kinks, too much of the performing "troupe", definitely not enough Dave Davies guitar!
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 13, 2016, 06:16:18 PM »

"Schoolboys in Disgrace" terrific, very overlooked.  "Preservation Act 1" half marvelous!

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 13, 2016, 11:43:42 PM »

"Schoolboys in Disgrace" terrific, very overlooked.  "Preservation Act 1" half marvelous!
I like Schoolboys better than Preservation cause they are back to being more of a rock band there. There are a few great songs on Preservation, though - "Sweet Lady Genevieve" is one of my favorite Ray Davies ballads, "Sitting in the Midday Sun" is also a winner, and "One of the Survivors".
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 14, 2016, 06:22:09 PM »

I like Schoolboys better than Preservation cause they are back to being more of a rock band there. There are a few great songs on Preservation, though - "Sweet Lady Genevieve" is one of my favorite Ray Davies ballads, "Sitting in the Midday Sun" is also a winner, and "One of the Survivors".

Agree -- I'd add the opening cuts "Morning" and "Daylight" and "Where are they Now?"  Like I said half marvelous!  "Schoolboys" on the other hand doesn't contain a single duff track.  In my opinion  Grin

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 15, 2016, 05:59:12 PM »

Agree -- I'd add the opening cuts "Morning" and "Daylight" and "Where are they Now?"  Like I said half marvelous!  "Schoolboys" on the other hand doesn't contain a single duff track.  In my opinion  Grin
I agree. I like Act 1 better than Act 2 - Act 2 is more plot driven, Act 1 has the better songs. Schoolboys is a winner through and through - and the most rockin' they had been in a long time!
yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 15, 2016, 06:10:12 PM »

I combined the best songs from Act 1 & Act 2 and it's a pretty decent tracklisting.
Still keeps fairly well to the concept of the piece.

1. Preservation (single)
2. Daylight
3. Sweet Lady Genevieve
4. There's A Change In The Weather
5. Where Are They Now?
6. Sitting In The Midday Sun
7. When A Solution Comes
8. Sheperds Of The Nation
9. Second-Hand Car Spiv
10. Mirror Of Love
11. Artificial Man
12. Salvation Road
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 15, 2016, 08:41:03 PM »

I agree. I like Act 1 better than Act 2 - Act 2 is more plot driven, Act 1 has the better songs. Schoolboys is a winner through and through - and the most rockin' they had been in a long time!

Indeed, lots of great Dave guitar riffs -- "Jack The Idiot Dunce," "I'm in Disgrace," "Hard Way"....  The album had the conceit of continuing the Preservation plot but really the songs stand alone.  I consider it the link from the "Theatrical" phase into the more commercially accessible "Sleepwalker" and eventually the 80s revival stuff like "Destroyer," "Around the Dial," et al.

The preceding LP "Soap Opera" I do not care for much, but I did see the stage performance and it was great fun!  Though the 2nd half of hits and such was superior and one of the greatest live shows I've ever seen.

Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 16, 2016, 01:57:51 PM »

I combined the best songs from Act 1 & Act 2 and it's a pretty decent tracklisting.

1. Preservation (single)
2. Daylight
3. Sweet Lady Genevieve
5. Where Are They Now?
7. When A Solution Comes
9. Second-Hand Car Spiv
10. Mirror Of Love
11. Artificial Man
12. Salvation Road
You can't leave Nothing Lasts Forever out, its beautiful.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 16, 2016, 03:37:40 PM »

1. Preservation (single)
2. Daylight
3. Sweet Lady Genevieve
5. Where Are They Now?
7. When A Solution Comes
9. Second-Hand Car Spiv
10. Mirror Of Love
11. Artificial Man
12. Salvation Road
I really like the single version of "Mirror of Love" with Ray singing the girl's part - "you were the best man I ever had".  Grin
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx