gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:08:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Kinks Discussion and Appreciation Thread  (Read 22545 times)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 17, 2015, 12:02:23 PM »

I actually dig their comeback era from Sleepwalker through Word Of Mouth!
We all agree that their 60's stuff is classic, but I grew up with the latter day Kinks music, so it's the stuff I have the most personal attachment to. I remember driving around in the summer with the State of Confusion cassette playing in a friend's car, still one of the best albums they ever did.

So glad to hear appreciation for the later stuff, as it's my personal favorite era, too! I like their entire discography, but have a special place in my heart for the later era! From the late 70's to when they stopped in 1996, you'll find a lot of emotionally powerful, intelligent and fun lyrics to go with great music, from both Ray and Dave!
Agreed. I often find myself thinking of a Kinks song through the work day, and it's often one of the later ones. Lately, I have been enjoying Ray's Return to Waterloo soundtrack. Little notice was paid to that album back in 85, because it wasn't a Kinks album (even though Avory, Rodford and Gibbins played on it), and it was music from a film very few people saw. Great songs, though, and proved that Ray could be a very good guitarist when he didn't have his brother to lean on.

Yes, I loved "Return to Waterloo."  As I recall there was some overlap with a Kinks LP ("Word of Mouth"?).  "Missing Persons" was a heart tugging standout, but the whole album hung together well, better than Kinks LPs of the period to my mind.  Interesting film as well.
"Missing Persons" is on "Word of Mouth"; different mixes of "Going Solo" and "Sold Me Out" are also on that album. "Return to Waterloo" was one of my first VHS purchases, back in 1990. I think it cost $30 new.
BrianAlDaveFan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 17, 2015, 03:47:54 PM »

The title track on RTW is one of my favorites. There's just a vibe Ray gives with the music, words and vocal delivery that's perfect.
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: October 06, 2015, 02:20:21 PM »

A great song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpwGGJYCCJ0
Sandy Baby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 06, 2015, 06:39:39 PM »

Truly love this song --
"Animal Farm":   http://youtu.be/-TNlt5DKWEs

There isn't a Kinks song I don't like; have gone to every concert that I could.  What a great band!

Listen, listen, listen...
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 06, 2015, 08:00:02 PM »

There isn't a Kinks song I don't like; have gone to every concert that I could.  What a great band!

Sandy Baby, You would be a good one to ask this question of, or anybody else who might know the answer. I read a recent interview with Dave Davies, and it stated that Dave was back to recording and playing the occasional solo show. Dave himself said that he was 100% recovered from his stroke, which is great news. Have you observed if Dave is back to his old self physically, specifically with his guitar playing?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 08:10:40 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
Sandy Baby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 07, 2015, 08:42:12 AM »

He looks good to me!   Cool
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/dave-davies-kinks-reunion-comment/
https://www.facebook.com/davedaviesofficial

Listen, listen, listen...
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2015, 11:16:18 AM »

Truly love this song --
"Animal Farm":

The whole album that song is from is awesome---so underrated.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 08, 2015, 12:35:33 PM »

He's certainly not the baby faced rock 'n' roll guitar hero anymore, but honestly, how good will any of us look at his age? He had a pretty good album out a couple years ago, "I Will Be Me". Just wish the brothers would stop bickering and have their own C50 before it's too late.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 24, 2016, 02:50:11 PM »

Would anyone be willing to help me get into the Kinks? I know only a handful of songs, and I want to change that.

You can suggest whole albums, or some songs (any of you guys use Spotify?). Also I know they're influential, but I don't really know why. Although I guess I can just wikipedia that stuff.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 24, 2016, 03:25:28 PM »

Would anyone be willing to help me get into the Kinks? I know only a handful of songs, and I want to change that.

You can suggest whole albums, or some songs (any of you guys use Spotify?). Also I know they're influential, but I don't really know why. Although I guess I can just wikipedia that stuff.

Sure, here's a song. Whattya think? That was the first Kinks song I really listened to after buying an incredibly overpriced Something Else by The Kinks CD in Austin, Texas at the overrated Waterloo Records store. Seemed to work for me. Listened to the album all the time I was down there.

As for why they're influential, I would say there's multiple parts to it. To oversimplify things: their tough, fuzzy, early period was influential for other bands and later hard rock and metal bands; Ray's song about people (character studies) opened up new avenues in popular songwriting; and just the whole Village Green Preservation Society for multiple reasons. If you're into reading, there's a great book that talks about the album.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 24, 2016, 03:43:10 PM »

I dig the song. I'm playing a bunch of their songs on shuffle right now and I'm liking everything so far.

As much as I love music, I haven't made that much time to read musical biographies or anything. I should really get better at making time to read; it's good for me...

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 24, 2016, 04:09:55 PM »

I dig the song. I'm playing a bunch of their songs on shuffle right now and I'm liking everything so far.

I think all of the albums from 1956-1971 are safe bets (maybe except Percy). The Kink Kontroversy is the point where the band begins to change slightly, so you have a mix of the early stuff and what was to come (it leans more towards their earlier side). Then comes Face to Face, which is mostly made up of standard material for 1966. That's not to say it isn't good, it probably just won't surprise you. Something Else by The Kinks is where they get a little weirder, and Ray becomes a little more grandiose with his songwriting. Dave starts contributing, too. His songs are also good, but there won't be more of them for a while. The Village Green Preservation Society is where they basically leave everything behind and become their own little world. Arthur (Or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire) started as a soundtrack, but ended up becoming it's own album. They leave the insular weirdness behind, and create a more straight-ahead album about, well, a guy named Arthur and the British Empire. Lola vs. Powerman is a little bit more mainstream-rock-y than I usually like, but it still has some good songs on it. Dave is back writing songs for this album but not for the next two. Then Percy, a soundtrack album with some goods songs and lots of instrumentals. Fascinating story, though. Muswell Hillbillies is a little bit obscure, but it's a fan favorite. I would sort of call it similar to VGPS, but rather than longing for the England of yesteryear, it's dedicated to Americana and booze. I love it.

There's also a ton of singles they released that didn't make it onto albums because that's just how they did stuff back then in England. They sort of have their own "Good Vibrations."
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 04:13:49 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 25, 2016, 01:36:41 PM »

Song: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXioctDPGn0

Album (Comp):  Kinks Kronikles

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 25, 2016, 02:29:26 PM »

My Kinks obsession began with hearing "Sunny Afternoon" on one fine evening, I then went and got Face To Face and loved most of the album, especially the trippy "Rainy Day in June", raga-esque "Fancy", and the surf-ish "Holiday In Waikiki". Then moved onto Something Else By The Kinks, which is my second or tied-for-first favorite album by them, including "Waterloo Sunset", "David Watts", "Death of a Clown" (possibly Dave Davies' greatest song), and can't forget "Lazy Old Sun". Their masterpiece, in my opinion, is "Village Green Preservation Society", this was basically their Pet Sounds. Every track is sheer excellence, but better off listened to as a whole. Standout tracks are "Do You Remember Walter", "Picture Book", "Last of the Steam-Powered Trains", "Animal Farm", and "Monica". As Bubbly Waves was mentioning, their many non-album singles are all brilliant too. Don't get me started on The Kinks!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 25, 2016, 08:36:03 PM »

IMHO, their early albums aren't all that great. You have one or two standout tracks - the singles - and a bunch of covers and Ray's lesser tunes. I think the first one where I like nearly every track (and this is showing my American bias) is Kinkdom; that seems to be the transition from a rockin' beat group (the first power pop band?) to the more story or character oriented stuff Ray would do the rest of the band's career. I guess everyone agrees on the run of albums from 66 to 70 or 71; where opinions vary is with the rock operas and the more commercial music of the Arista years. I grew up with the Arista stuff, so I am partial to a lot of that. State of Confusion, Word of Mouth and Misfits are on my Kinks top 10. Even the MCA stuff is pretty good; they are really the one band that I enjoy the entire catalog of.  There isn't a Summer in Paradise or Stars and Stripes in their entire catalog.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 01, 2016, 10:44:13 PM »

Thank you for all of the suggestions! I like what I hear so far.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 04, 2016, 10:20:04 PM »

Thank you for all of the suggestions! I like what I hear so far.
I could talk about the Kinks all day and all of the night! They are the only band (excepting the Beatles, whose career was much, much briefer) that was great from start to finish. Amazing how prolific a writer Ray was. They were putting out at least one album a year for decades, and the majority of that material was written by Ray. He seems to have dried up since the group ended, though - only 2 studio albums in 20 years.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #117 on: March 05, 2016, 04:20:54 AM »

The Kinks are one of those bands where I love certain songs by them, but otherwise haven't explored through their discography very much. That is something that I'm currently rectifying.

I've started listening to every one of their albums chronologically, and have currently only heard the debut. On first listen, I found it very disappointing. "You Really Got Me" aside (which is an untouchable classic), I found most of the album to be bland, generic R&B that completely fails to stand out amongst its contemporaries (and really makes you appreciate the work of The Animals, The Rolling Stones and The Yardbirds a hell of a lot more, among other great British Blues Rock artists). Listening through bits of the album since, and some of it has marginally grown on me. For instance, I quite like Dave Davies' vocals more now that I've grown accustomed to it; it reminds me of the vocalist from Downliners Sect. "Stop Your Sobbing" too I definitely appreciate more.

As for the bonus tracks, I don't have too much to add about them. "You Still Want Me" was a pleasant enough listen, if a product of its time. Surprised that it flopped as a single honestly. "All Day And All Of The Night" I'd give the slightest edge over "You Really Got Me", though I adore both songs. One hidden gem I discovered was "It's Alright", which was released as the B-side to "You Really Got Me". It immediately became a favourite of mine; an infectious, catchy rocker which has hints of The Yardbirds' "Evil Hearted You" in that the song comes to a halt, then speeds up energetically. The debut album would have benefited significantly with the addition of "It's Alright".
yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 05, 2016, 06:03:13 PM »

Their first album leaves much to be desired but they pick up very quickly with their next few albums, you'll see..
But on this album, I'd say are notable: "So Mystifying" and "Bald Headed Woman" in a bluesy skiffle-punk kind of way.
You should appreciate Kinda Kinks, though it's no masterpiece. Particularly the quieter cuts "Nothin' In The World Can Stop Me From Worrying About That Girl" and "So Long" and the louder "Tired of Waiting For You" and "Look For Me Baby"
Kink Kontroversy and beyond are all worth their weight in gold.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 05, 2016, 07:35:04 PM »

Their first album leaves much to be desired but they pick up very quickly with their next few albums, you'll see..
But on this album, I'd say are notable: "So Mystifying" and "Bald Headed Woman" in a bluesy skiffle-punk kind of way.
You should appreciate Kinda Kinks, though it's no masterpiece. Particularly the quieter cuts "Nothin' In The World Can Stop Me From Worrying About That Girl" and "So Long" and the louder "Tired of Waiting For You" and "Look For Me Baby"
Kink Kontroversy and beyond are all worth their weight in gold.

Yup.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 05, 2016, 10:05:10 PM »

I think the earliest albums, (as i know them from the American pressings), "You Really Got Me", "Kinks-Size" and "Kinda Kinks" are enjoyable, but not great. The hit singles really stand out as superior to anything else on them. IMO things got a lot more interesting on the 4th US album, "Kinkdom", Ray's lyrics are starting to get more interesting, and that continues on "The Kink Kontroversy", but the first truly classic Kinks album is probably "Face To Face" from 1966. It sort of sets the template for the rest of their career - Ray always writing about or from the point of view of a character. It's not, strictly speaking, folk/rock, but it's definitely something more than their early riff-oriented rock. And pretty much every album was a classic after that, until sometime in the 70's.
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 12, 2016, 04:57:01 AM »

Didn't like Lola... except the hits
Not bothered about Muswell Hillbillies
Didn't much like most of Everybody's In Showbiz

Love Preservation Act 1!
Love Preservation Act 2!
And I would never have discovered this if not for internet streaming.

Go figure.

Please delete my account
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 12, 2016, 03:53:23 PM »

State of Confusion, Word of Mouth and Misfits are on my Kinks top 10.
Ok. I bought Misfits the other day and I enjoyed the A side a lot. I also love love the album artwork.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 12, 2016, 11:37:51 PM »

Love Preservation Act 1!
Love Preservation Act 2!

Go figure.
Wow, that's a surprise that you prefer Preservation over Muswell, Lola and Showbiz. There are a few good songs on the Preservation albums, but I find too much of it plot-driven - moving the story along became more important than the songs.
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 13, 2016, 11:39:36 AM »

Love Preservation Act 1!
Love Preservation Act 2!

Go figure.
Wow, that's a surprise that you prefer Preservation over Muswell, Lola and Showbiz. There are a few good songs on the Preservation albums, but I find too much of it plot-driven - moving the story along became more important than the songs.

Yes, I know that's the widely held view, that's why it took so long to listen to it. But so far I haven't really listened to the words or tried to find anything out about the story- it's all been about the music so far. I actually enjoy hearing the female singers and less of the usual "rock band" format.

Please delete my account
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx