gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680996 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 13, 2024, 09:17:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Newly surfaced Doors song  (Read 2832 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 10, 2016, 02:26:31 AM »

I'm a big fan of The Doors, so I had to post about this because I'm excited.  Grin The Doors's late show from the Fairpark Music Hall in Dallas Texas, performed in 1970, has recently surfaced on an audience cassette recording. The really unique thing about this recording is that they open with a song that has been given the title "Palace In The Canyon". To my knowledge, the song is completely unknown. I've not read a single reference to this song anywhere. It's not just a poem, or "interlude" that Jim Morison recites in the middle of another song. This is a complete band performance, that sounds like it had been rehearsed. The fact that nobody has mentioned this song blows my mind! Another really cool thing about this recording is that Rider On The Storm was performed. It's the only known recorded live performance of the song with Jim. This was also the second to last performance Jim ever gave.

Palace In The Canyon:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biydlh3-1uM&index=2&list=FLV1RDQ0_F5rhRw-6iYbh-8Q

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 05:15:55 AM »

I really like the song and Jim was really into it. I hope a competent engineer gets a hold of the tape and improves the sound quality. I mean, that SHOULD happen!

Apparently, "Palace In The Canyon" was also on the December 12, 1970 New Orleans setlist - The Doors' last concert with Jim.  It's not known if the entire song was performed or just a poetic interlude.

It's interesting that "Palace In The Canyon" wasn't on the L.A. Woman 40th Anniversary Edition. Can we assume the song was only written AFTER L.A. Woman? 
KDS
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 05:35:23 AM »

I'll have to give this a listen later as a big Doors fan. 

It's possible it could've been written for the LA Woman album, but just never recorded. 
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 01:32:55 AM »

I really like the song and Jim was really into it. I hope a competent engineer gets a hold of the tape and improves the sound quality. I mean, that SHOULD happen!

Apparently, "Palace In The Canyon" was also on the December 12, 1970 New Orleans setlist - The Doors' last concert with Jim.  It's not known if the entire song was performed or just a poetic interlude.

It's interesting that "Palace In The Canyon" wasn't on the L.A. Woman 40th Anniversary Edition. Can we assume the song was only written AFTER L.A. Woman? 
I somehow knew you would be the first one to comment on this.  Grin I love the song. It definitely could have possibly become a fan favorite in concert, had Jim lived. I had seen a set list for the New Orleans show before, but I don't remember "Palace In The Canyon" being one of the songs. Or if it was, I probably thought it was a Kansas song. They jammed with The Doors at one point during the New Orleans show.

Actually, before it became the 40th Anniversary Edition, a multi disc box set was planned. I guess it was cancelled because the label didn't want to back it financially. From the looks of the track list, it would have been A LOT better than the "Workshop Sessions" disc we got:

1 THE CHANGELING (TAKE 1) [incomplete] THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

2 THE CHANGELING (TAKE 2) THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

3 THE CHANGELING (TAKE 3) THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

4 THE CHANGELING (TAKE 4) [incomplete] THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

5 THE CHANGELING (TAKE 5) [incomplete] THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

6 THE CHANGELING (TAKE 6) [no take] THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

7 THE CHANGELING (TAKE 7) [incomplete] THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

8 STUDIO DIALOGUE THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

9 THE CHANGELING (TAKE Cool [incomplete] THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

10 THE CHANGELING (TAKE 9) THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

11 STUDIO DIALOGUE THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

12 THE CHANGELING (TAKE 10) [incomplete] THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

13 STUDIO DIALOGUE THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

14 STUDIO DIALOGUE THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

15 THE CHANGELING (TAKE 11) THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

16 STUDIO DIALOGUE THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

17 THE CHANGELING (TAKE 12) [false start] THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

18 LOVE HER MADLY (TAKE 1) [incomplete] THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

19 LOVE HER MADLY (TAKE 2) [incomplete] THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

20 JAMMING THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

21 STUDIO DIALOGUE THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

22 TUNING THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

23 STUDIO DIALOGUE THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

24 LOVE HER MADLY (TAKE 5) THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

25 STUDIO DIALOGUE THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

26 LOVE HER MADLY (TAKE 7) [incomplete] THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

27 LOVE HER MADLY (TAKE Cool THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

28 STUDIO DIALOGUE THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

29 STUDIO DIALOGUE THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

30 RIDERS ON THE STORM (TAKE 5) THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

31 STUDIO DIALOGUE THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

32 THE DICK BILLS SHOW THEME THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

33 RAWHIDE THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

34 RIDERS ON THE STORM (TAKE 6) [incomplete] THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

35 STUDIO DIALOGUE THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

36 RIDERS ON THE STORM (TAKE 9) [false start] THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

37 RIDERS ON THE STORM (TAKE 10) [incomplete] THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

38 STUDIO DIALOGUE THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

39 RIDERS ON THE STORM (TAKE 11) [long false start] THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

40 RIDERS ON THE STORM (TAKE 12) [long false start] THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

41 STUDIO DIALOGUE THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

42 RIDERS ON THE STORM (TAKE 16) [long false start] THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

43 L.A. WOMAN (run through) THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

44 STUDIO DIALOGUE THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

45 STUDIO DIALOGUE THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

46 L.A. WOMAN (TAKE 1) [incomplete] THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

47 L.A. WOMAN (TAKE 2) [incomplete] THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

48 JAMMING THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

49 L.A. WOMAN (TAKE 3) THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

50 STUDIO DIALOGUE THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

51 STUDIO DIALOGUE THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

52 L.A. WOMAN (TAKE 4) [flase start] THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

53 STUDIO DIALOGUE THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

54 L.A. WOMAN (TAKE 7) [incomplete] THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

55 STUDIO DIALOGUE THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

56 L.A. WOMAN (TAKE Cool [incomplete] THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

57 STUDIO DIALOGUE THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

58 L.A. WOMAN (TAKE 10) [incomplete] THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

59 STUDIO DIALOGUE THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

60 L.A. WOMAN (TAKE 11) THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

61 CRAWLING KING SNAKE (TAKE 1) [incomplete] THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

62 STUDIO DIALOGUE THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

63 STUDIO DIALOGUE THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

64 BEEN DOWN SO LONG (TAKE 1) [incomplete] THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

65 STUDIO DIALOGUE THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

66 BEEN DOWN SO LONG (TAKE 4) [incomplete] THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

67 STUDIO DIALOGUE THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

68 BEEN DOWN SO LONG (TAKE 6) THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

69 STUDIO DIALOGUE THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

70 BEEN DOWN SO LONG (TAKE 7) THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

71 JAMMING THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

72 BEEN DOWN SO LONG (TAKE Cool [false start] THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

73 BEEN DOWN SO LONG (TAKE 9) [false start] THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

74 BEEN DOWN SO LONG (TAKE 10) [incomplete] THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

75 BEEN DOWN SO LONG (TAKE 11) [incomplete] THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

76 JAMMING THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

77 THE WASP (TEXAS RADIO AND THE BIG BEAT) (TAKE 1) [incomplete] THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

78 THE WASP (TEXAS RADIO AND THE BIG BEAT) (TAKE 2) [incomplete] THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

79 JAMMING THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

80 THE WASP (TEXAS RADIO AND THE BIG BEAT) (TAKE 3) [incomplete] THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

81 THE WASP (TEXAS RADIO AND THE BIG BEAT) (TAKE 4) [incomplate] THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

82 JAMMING THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

83 THE WASP (TEXAS RADIO AND THE BIG BEAT) (TAKE 5) THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

84 STUDIO DIALOGUE THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

85 THE WASP (TEXAS RADIO AND THE BIG BEAT) (TAKE 6) THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

86 STUDIO DIALOGUE THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

87 THE WASP (TEXAS RADIO AND THE BIG BEAT) (TAKE 7) [incomplete] THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

88 THE WASP (TEXAS RADIO AND THE BIG BEAT) (TAKE Cool THE DOORS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 05:38:40 AM »

How frustrating is that ^ ? You have this excellent Doors' boxed set, just sitting around somewhere...unreleased. Will it ever see the light of day? 2021?

There are still rumors circulating about a 50th Anniversary disc/box set of the 1966 London Fog and Matrix shows. But, they better hurry. We'll soon be at the 51st Anniversary! Shocked

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 01:33:10 AM »

Unfortunately, the L.A. Woman box set was cancelled entirely. They decided to just release the remastered album with a single disc of outtakes as a bonus.  As L.A. Woman is my favorite Doors album, I was almost deliriously excited when I read that proposed box set track list. I wonder if any of the "jamming" tracks might be "Palace In The Canyon".

I've been dying for that 1966 London Fog tape! That and the last Doors show with Jim in New Orleans are two of my "holy grail" music items, Honestly, I think I'd want the 1970 New Orleans soundboard tape over any newly surfaced Smile material. 

KDS
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 05:50:43 AM »

Unfortunately, the L.A. Woman box set was cancelled entirely. They decided to just release the remastered album with a single disc of outtakes as a bonus.  As L.A. Woman is my favorite Doors album, I was almost deliriously excited when I read that proposed box set track list. I wonder if any of the "jamming" tracks might be "Palace In The Canyon".

I've been dying for that 1966 London Fog tape! That and the last Doors show with Jim in New Orleans are two of my "holy grail" music items, Honestly, I think I'd want the 1970 New Orleans soundboard tape over any newly surfaced Smile material. 

With Ray passing away, I don't know how much Doors archival material we'll see released. 

It seems like he was the one who wanted to keep The Doors music out there with released and touring (Doors of the 21st Century / Riders on the Storm).
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 12:03:02 AM »

With Ray passing away, I don't know how much Doors archival material we'll see released. 

It seems like he was the one who wanted to keep The Doors music out there with released and touring (Doors of the 21st Century / Riders on the Storm).
I've been thinking the same thing. It seems selfish to admit, but the day that Ray died I thought to myself "Well, I guess Bright Midnight Records is finished for good now". They've released the majority of the soundboard recordings of the 1970 tour, but they could still release recordings of Bakersfield, Seattle, and Hawaii, all from 1970. Then there is the London Fog 1966 recordings, soundboard recordings of the 1968 European tour(Stockholm), a stage recording from Danbury High school that could possibly be cleaned up, the complete Matrix tapes from 1967, etc.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 01:36:36 AM »

For me, LA Woman is my favorite Doors album and in my all time top 10. I wonder why not put up all the sessions on iTunes? Way cheaper investment for the record company. Fans would love it!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx