-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:03:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 443109 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1350 on: November 01, 2019, 05:31:38 AM »

Seen very annoying U.K. film just now - "Caretaker"/ "Guest" (1963). Donald Pleasance, Robert Shaw, Alan Bates. Based at Harold Pinter play. 2 cool thespians playing 2 real pains in the neck (funnily, by diametrically different reasons). It shoulda stayed in stage, didn't bring use to get the idea to get it to screen. Funny it's got financial support by big names like Liz Taylor, Richard Burton, Noel Coward, long list with these names. Zero idea who's Alan Bates, the other guy in film playing Robert's crazy brother. I.e. 3 differently annoying guys saying things that defy logic. Film runs 1h:43m - during it, *little* changed. Despite it being the finished version, film's finale - Donald's houseless hero mumbling the same question to Robert with beggar's eyes to stay be caretaker, sleep in the attic room like he did, whilst Robert stands with his back, busy looking thru window - didn't use chance to justify play's shift to screen. Nor did explain insanity going in film. When I've zero idea what's going in film, by default such film's boring. 0/10.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: November 04, 2019, 09:30:20 AM »

"Who Cooked Bacon Sandwich With Human Ear? Is It Yummy?" - experimental 2010 rare U.S. student short suspense sci-fi neo-noir b&w film (exchange students been studying in the city & displayed film to students back in 2013). 4.9/5, mainly due to it lacking little punch.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: November 09, 2019, 05:47:00 PM »

Cool to review films, really like typing reviews about films that been liked & been hated. 3D

"Night & The City" - you can see by title it's film noir. When it went - the film - it began to be dark, angry beneath, everybody hated main guy when it finished. Wrestling match didn't bring fruitful results, big money to main guy. He ain't witty at business, he cheated everybody (even dear gal that cherished him) with dumb moves & took many-many troubles till Greek wrestler's boy killed him due to revenge. It's good film but film which isn't to view it many times. It's good to view single time in year.

NB: re: previous review about Italian flick "Dolce Vita" - Nico fans, be delighted to be aware that few scenes in this snoozer film feature beautiful ravishing very young (21 y.o.) Nico. She really moves like cat - biggest nicety towards women/ people generally. Graceful, light moves. Liked her flirty laughters she gave when she danced with random guy. She's really attractive when she laughs like it. & even when she dons stupid-looking knight helmet when she & the other random people went to see smb.'s locked castle (Nico found key 3D ) - even when she stood there in helmet she looks gorgeous. Entire castle scene is too bizarre to describe (as is everything else in "Dolce Vita") - seeing Nico been saving grace.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: November 10, 2019, 03:38:09 AM »

To get vicious Tongue, hateful 8 list based at previous negative reviews about recently seen films:

- "Wicker Man" (1973) police
- "Dolce Vita" (1960) police
- "Caretaker" (1963) police
- "2001: Space Odyssey" (1968) police
- "Shadow Of Doubt" (1943) police
- "Shawshank Redemption" (1994) police
- "Marnie" (1963) police
- "Buddy Holly Story" (1978, zzzzz) police

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: January 01, 2020, 06:14:00 AM »

It will interest poster Gettin Hungry: since you like Peter Sellers, yesterday seen 1970s film ''Alice In Wonderland'', Peter plays Mad Hatter. It's the best AIW, with classic Disney cartoon & the b&w 1933 film. Check out it.

Diff. news - seen ''Dragonwyck'' (1946) ft. Gene Tierney, young Vincent Price, young Jessica Tandy, Walter ''distinct speaking voice'' Huston, sweet Spring Biington. Frankly, disappointed at young Vincent, he'll get better in classic cult horrors. Gene's very talented actress but, like everybody who's too beautiful, rarely did anybody in Hollywood see it. It's dark film but wouldn't designate it ''horror''. 6/10.

Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: January 02, 2020, 06:59:36 AM »

Thanks for the recommendation. I don't think I've seen that version of Alice in Wonderland. I actually just reread the book earlier this year. I'll have to check it out. I love the Disney version.

I've been a James Stewart kick. Just watched Rear Window, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and Anatomy of a Murder. All three very good. I've got Philadelphia Story and Stratton Story on deck.

I also saw the latest Star Wars.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: January 21, 2020, 10:32:50 AM »

Last weekend we watched Quadrophenia on a biggish screen. It's a fascinating backward glimpse of a conflict (Mods vs Rockers) that largely passed me by. Some great music by The Who and lotsa good stuff during the club scenes. And dig those last three letters of the YouTube url!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmxcW23nWho

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadrophenia_(film)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: February 11, 2020, 10:58:11 AM »

Will be watching... The first episode of the second series of The Split is later tonight (9 PM in the UK, 10 PM in NL).

I'm a major fan of Nicola Walker, so I'll be glued to my seat in more ways than one. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pFReGbJCkc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Split_(TV_series)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: February 14, 2020, 12:30:29 PM »

We're back to Shetland, a series we had problems understanding because of the accents but which is now on Dutch TV with subtitles!

Needless to say, the landscape is fantastic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtSri3Dl0ho

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: March 06, 2020, 04:35:34 PM »

Seen cult British 1945 anthology horror "Dead Of Night". 10/10. Began to give up the idea to see good films till this magnificent film with cool short tales in it. Best definitely is about ventriloquist & doll. Huge huge fan of this narrative in horrors. Really like dolls, esp. ventriloquist's - too cute faces. Next best is tie - 1. tale about shop mirror 2. hide&seek mystery. To tell it straight - I been glued to screen start to finish (rarity usually by this cinephile).

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: March 06, 2020, 05:07:29 PM »

Welcome back!
Have you seen the Twilight Zone episode “Living Doll?”
Creepy Talky Tina doll. Gives me goosebumps

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: March 12, 2020, 07:19:37 AM »

Hey Nola girl Hello

Yes I'd seen it few yrs back & d/l it at youtube. Thanks to ask. Really enjoyed the ep.

Recently checked 2 films ft. Anne Bancroft (really like her face, btw) - "Miracle Worker" (she beat many cool actresses like Bette Davis in "...Baby Jane?" that yr, wins the Academy statue) & "The Graduate".

"Miracle Worker" is good film. I'd advise it to people. She & girl who played Helen Keller did really good. Didn't read books about Ms. Keller but film makes me curious to read single detailed book about her (written BY her even?). Anybody advise anything? Liked actress who played Helen's mother. Shoulda been praised too. Fave scene - when Bancroft & the girl get to live in little house distant than her fam's house. Smart teacher.

"The Graduate" is nice by bits with many passive dull scenes/music (I really hate "Mrs. Robinson", never liked it & dislike the other Simon&Garfunkel songs in film). Dustin Hoffman plays pseudo-shy guy who sleeps with lady elder than he. His parents' friend. There's few funny scenes in film, Dustin got this straight face that seems like he's funny. Ditto Bancroft, btw, especially when she gets angry, demanding ("Do as I say!" Hilarious). Katharine Ross is such pretty gal. I liked her character's personality, I'd say she's the best in film, everybody's kinda weird & bonkers. Nevertheless, I ain't sure why she fled with Dustin's character in the end. Looks like rushed "happy end". As if smb. quickly changed script en route. Really liked seeing guy (forgot name) playing Anne Bancroft's funny goofy husband - he starred in Frankenheimer's brooding film "Seconds". & "Jaws". Good thespian.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: March 22, 2020, 10:51:47 AM »

Hey Nola girl,

You tend to be big Peter O'Toole fan, enjoy recommendation - 1966 film "How To Steal A Million". With Audrey. 3D & Eli Wallach who is amusing in good way. Film = pure entertainment. Fitting to see in U.S. times right now, i.e. distancing et al. Check it.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: March 23, 2020, 07:05:31 AM »

Did you enjoy film recommended, Nola? Share review. police

Seen dumb film with tools as main characters (except my fave dear Zohra Lampert) - "Splendour In The Grass". Features Natalie Wood & Warren Beatty (I knew name but didn't see what he looks like - ugly guy). High school pair they play is absolutely bonkers, laughably extreme in expressing their romantic/thrilled feelings. Their parents/ guy's rebel sister don't help their daughter/son/brother, giving stupid advices. Useless film viewing. 0/10.

Next negative (savage?) review - "It, Chapter 2". Really *few* good scenes & computer graphics. Everything else is plain bad. Granted, it's better than "It" with kids, thousand times, but there's waaay too many fillers which got the viewing experience dull. Jessica Chastain is amazing & the guy who played Eddie really did well, good casting choices with 2. Everybody else average at best. But, puking detailed scenes full screen - it began film badly. Being emetophobe it's been challenge to sit thru the scenes that looked endless. Why there's films that insist to display it? Wish they'd re-written scripts & added clown's scare tricks instead.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: March 29, 2020, 06:37:16 AM »

What a stunning film. Welles and Fontaine are amazing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfN7JLlIWhE

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Eyre_(1943_film)

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: March 29, 2020, 08:38:04 PM »

Paging Nola girl. Smiley

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: April 04, 2020, 06:10:34 AM »

Hm. You'd think everybody staying in house does nothing but watch various stuff...But hey.

Seen "Sabrina" (1954) with fetching Audrey Hepburn & Humphrey Bogart. They look interestingly good together. Better than she with William Holden playing young son.  Nice film due to my fave girl Audrey but general preference towards 90s remake with Harrison Ford. 7.5/10.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: April 04, 2020, 04:44:25 PM »

Re the Peter O’Toole movie. I haven’t been able to watch it, I thought that I had seen it some time back but what I actually saw was an early movie he was in, The Day They Robbed the Bank of England.
It’s hard for me to watch movies on YouTube because of the buffering.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 04:47:02 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: April 13, 2020, 04:27:08 PM »

Wish to see "Casablanca", didn't like its youtube clips yet curious - being curious type - to see full flick. Seen it decade & half ago as teenager when checking TV channels, could catch few ending bits. Ingrid gets to see Humphrey, duet speaks, finish. Ingrid's Swedish accent is ear-candy paired with ear-candy honey/fairy/milk-maid voice. Curious if she read audiobooks, would be nice to hear tales narrated by her.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: April 14, 2020, 04:45:36 AM »

Ingrid's Swedish accent is ear-candy paired with ear-candy honey/fairy/milk-maid voice. Curious if she read audiobooks, would be nice to hear tales narrated by her.

There's one here of Ingrid B narrating The Pied Piper of Hamelin. It was originally recorded on two 10" 78s in 1946, so the quality is somewhat lacking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXKf5U9Ra_c

There is also this mention of three shared audiobooks:

https://www.lovereading.co.uk/audiobooks/narrator/ingrid-bergman

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: May 15, 2020, 05:01:23 AM »

Nice investigation, thanks.

To put Lucy into suitable thread, here's few things to tell:

- prefer "The Lucy Show" than "I Love Lucy" due to fact TLS is full eps in youtube. ILL is bits & chops which disappoints & makes me bitter about it to like it better. Besides, Lucy + Viv, Lucy's pretty screen teenage daughter Chris & lil son with funny voice Jerry really bring fun cast.
- Is it me or Lucy's voice is higher/thinner in ILL? Sure, she's younger there but in just decade can voice really change to husky?
- Ricky Ricardo is really catchy name.
- Vivian Vance's hairstyle is lame in ILL (playing Ethel). It got MUCH better in TLS (playing Vivian Bagley). Lucy's hair better in ILL, yet she still looks good with different hairstyle in TLS.
- Discovered Lucille's next birth name is "Desiree". Read "Desi-ree".
- ILL's theme song is beautiful escapist type music with cool rhythm/percussion, I imagine to be in luxurious L.A. club with classy people dressed in ritzy stylish classy way, jazz band playing in the evening, everybody eating expensive - naturally fun size - dishes. Wishful thinking. It being stated, I really like cute theme song starting TLS.
- Discovered new English slang "marvy" in TLS which Chris uses when she really hears good thing: "That's marvy!" Using deduction, I suspect it's short "marvellous". Didn't hear anybody saying it in the other films/TV series. Shall steal it.
- Really puzzled why in TLS banker Mr. Mooney treats Lucy mean. He ain't fair towards her, the guy's meaner than misadventures she brings.
- Speaking about TLS, when I finished 1st Season (b&w), I didn't wish to see colored eps, being huge b&w fan. Then I look thru colored vids' titles & still images - get curious &...finished Season 2 in few days. Lucy & Viv = the best fictional pair since Sherlock Holmes with Dr. Watson & Rocky & Bullwinkle.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: May 15, 2020, 12:04:04 PM »

All the music on I Love Lucy is performed by Desi Arnaz’s band.
Vivian Vance on I Love Lucy needed to look older than she was because Fred Mertz was played by elderly William Frawley and it didn’t seem believable to have her as younger. I think they had her doing some vaudeville when in reality she would have been too young for that.
I haven’t seen The Lucy Show in a while although it can still be seen on some channels - I Love Lucy is more popular.
I do remember it being a good ensemble show, good chemistry between Lucille Ball and Vivian Vance.
It was common on these shows for bosses to be mean.

You like Rocky and Bullwinkle? That was a favorite program that wish I could see again.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: May 16, 2020, 07:43:29 PM »

Dull reply deleted.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 12:43:44 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Unreconstructed Wilsonite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: September 15, 2020, 07:35:00 AM »

Very recently I got around to watching Alfred Hitchcock's Rebecca - released in 1940 and Hitchcock's first American film. Since 2017 I've been going through a "1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die" challenge where every edition was combined. Have been watching each film in order of release - some of the next few coming up include The Mortal Storm, Dance Girl Dance, and The Great Dictator. Should be pretty fun - looking forward to revisiting The Great Dictator in particular for the first time in over a decade
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 07:35:37 PM by Unreconstructed Wilsonite » Logged
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: September 15, 2020, 08:17:39 AM »

Thanks to my roku i found a free site (osi74). One of the channels there is sleazy. In season two i found a movie i had not seen since 1974 at the drive in. Flesh Gordon. Still funny as heck after all these years. A riot actually.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56   Go Up
Print
Jump to: