-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:04:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 443351 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: October 12, 2019, 06:10:30 AM »

Welp. Moving to next. Seen today "Something Evil", TV 1972 film made by who? Steven Spielberg. Cast: Sandy Dennis, Darren McGavin (really weird pairing), Ralph Bellamy. Title is right - sth.'s evil. Question - what precisely? It funnily isn't dull film despite clueless plot. But, coulda benefitted if given at the jolly least few frightful scenes. It simply isn't scary (hello? It says "horror"). 6.5/10.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: October 13, 2019, 07:24:27 PM »

Have you seen "Duel?" That was a movie ( think his first feature) from 1971.
Stars Dennis Hopper. Very suspenseful film about Hopper and his car being pursued by a big, bad truck.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: October 13, 2019, 10:22:22 PM »

I will not see "Duel?". Thanks to warn it starrs Dennis Hopper - can't stand films with him.

Seen 8 remaining Zasu Pitts-Todd shorts. To compare Pitts' & Gish's faces (joyful pastime to compare lookalikes, it's fun don't deny folks), seen Lillian's 30s films with voices - "One Romantic Night", "His Double Life" (full films youtubed). Yep, they look like sisters - obviously I'm right. It being said, Gish's delicate face is few levels above Pitts' but Pitts got bigger eyes yet she isn't graceful as Gish when she walks. Gish got poise & think she's little bit thinner but, yep, they're sisters Twix.

Edit: Will mention Pitts-Todd-Kelly-Gish many times till smb. catches with jolly interesting questions in previous page. Am very curious about what people think about any subject asked. Like to compare people's answers - very much, even extremely.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 10:28:51 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: October 16, 2019, 03:47:49 AM »

Hm, people in YouT clips mention Chaplin yet nobody seen Zasu Pitts in silents? She's been dubbed very successful in it. Weeeeiird. She's better than Chaplin anyway.

Any-anyhoo. Despite being Hitch fan, didn't check to date few films. To fill in gaps, began with "Trouble With Harry" (1955). Rare case when youtube got the full film in really good video quality (check initial link in results, next link ain't good).

Highlights: pretty fall landscape, yellow leaves galore,nice lanes, paths, neat fresh streets, very Technicolor; Edmund Gwenn, 2 Mildreds Dunnock & Natwick (the latter strangely got British accent despite being American AND film takes place in U.S.).

Disadvantages: John Forsythe (terrible acting skills, hilariously bad voice, with metallic/ reedy patterns), Shirley MacLaine (shock maybe but I can't stand Shirley, don't think good about her acting talent either, her "cuteness" especially in this debut film, she's 20 here, made me cringe); Jerry Mathers (everybody screams "Beaver" except I, since I ain't crazy about that apparently uber-popular series. Meaning I didn't recognize the boy really, to me it's just boy, read: mediocre at best child actor playing very annoying kid telling pure drivel); stupid trick with door in closet moving as if smb.'s hidden in it; dull shenanigans with poor guy's bod wasting film's length at it, shoulda used film's good portion to cool events; cheesy "double bed" joke being whispered secretly to various ears till finally we viewers can hear what Forsythe's character whispered to millionaire's ear. Yep, cheesy. 2/10.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: October 16, 2019, 05:22:58 AM »

Surely silents fans musta hear about Zasu Pitts. Am seeing "Nightmare" (1964) hammer film right now. Really like the main girl. Everybody else is meh. Jolly good film. 9.5/10.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: October 16, 2019, 06:58:54 AM »

Haven't forgotten Zasu Pitts. I haven't been able to sit down and concentrate on a movie. Tried to watch a movie I had taped and kept falling asleep, so gave up.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: October 16, 2019, 07:04:05 AM »

Haven't forgotten Zasu Pitts. I haven't been able to sit down and concentrate on a movie. Tried to watch a movie I had taped and kept falling asleep, so gave up.
Agree, got the same snooze reaction trying to see Chaplin films. I find his humor very unfunny. & dramatic skills mediocre at best. Well stated. Gave up indeed ha. Thanks to answer.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: October 16, 2019, 07:57:22 AM »

Seen weird horror film "Mirrors" (1978) about pair spending honeymoon of kinds in Louisiana. Stayed in hotel. In French Quarter. In few minutes, they join bus tour around city, visit gallery, voodoo queen Marie Laveau's tomb in which girl guide says if you scratch the "x" to it, Marie will grant wish. In gallery they see that lady's portrait, then daughter Marie Laveau II's & guide says the artist, to make people think they're related, painted their eyes shiny distinct black. 2 things didn't make sense - half the film's about main girl trying new perfume she'd been advised to get by local perfume maker. She applied it everytime before going to sleep (weird habit, if you ask, not economical given it's in such tiny teeny bottle) & next thing she dreamt nightmares with Marie Laveau laughing with evil laughter in black dress with some chain/necklace with round thing in the middle. What's perfume got to do with voodoo? Next - main girl jokingly stated is there such big mirror number in any place than New Orleans. Where's the link between mirrors & that lady in black? Why when girl dreams she looks at mirror but doesn't see her reflection, instead it's Marie? Why she appears & laughs there? I didn't get the end camera zooming full screen gradually to main girl's face looking at you kinda crazy semi-smiling. Did she get possessed or what? Btw, the cast is very obscure except the girl is Kitty Winn, she may or may not be familiar to people who'd seen "Exorcist" trilogy, albeit she didn't get big screen time. Maybe smb. rmbr her. Well, music in "Mirrors" did doll up the film, gave needful effect to it. Again, full film's in youtube in case curious.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: October 17, 2019, 06:00:18 AM »

Say folks, you gotta post about Chaplin showings here. Youtube clips thread is about youtube clips duh.

Now. Next film - "Pigskin Parade". Starrs THE best comedienne in any decade Patsy Kelly. 3D 3D 3D ANY film with Patsy's bound to be funny. 10/10.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: October 17, 2019, 08:03:16 PM »

Info about Marie Laveau's fascinating. Cool lady. To think Louisiana would be voodoo land's hilarious. Who knew. Tongue Each 'sianian must see "Mirrors" (Reply 1332).

Since people like reading film reviews written by I, here's next review which will dedicate to JK's CB - secret-not secret creature, next review's for CB. 'K?
"Fruits' Nanny" (2019) - film about fruits with nanny, travels with Barley. 5.5/10.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: October 19, 2019, 03:45:10 PM »

Mentioned previously about catching up with Hitch films I didn't see. Posted week back pretty detailed "Trouble With Harry" review. Yesterday evening seen "Shadow Of Doubt". Title really reads like cool thriller. But, it ain't. When it finished, been thinking - why coolicious Joseph Cotten accepted to star in dullfest? Like "Trouble With Harry", it's dull beyond. The main girl annoyed big time. The way she moves, speaks, just about everything. Besides, it must be the dumbest female character in any Hitchcock film. I didn't get anything she did - it's beyond logic. Even when she ran to library to read newspaper page uncle Charlie cut to hide who he is, it didn't really change film's developing.

Even Marion Crane in "Psycho" isn't dumb in compare: sure, stealing money in place you work is dumb, too easy to find who did it but, there IS logic behind Marion's deed. Whilst girl in *this* film doesn't frequently know why she did things she did.

The ending couldn't be sillier. It ain't the "Birds" type ending when Hitch cleverly uses ambiguity what birds will do next - keep attacking? act nice? aka leave it to viewer's imagination - nay, plain & simple it's silly. 2/10, Joseph did try to save it with great as usual play.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: October 20, 2019, 05:31:41 AM »

Seen good film...about time. Recent 10-12 films in the past week been snoozers, nearly refused to see anything. But, "Shadows In The Stairs" (1941) escaped that chain. Been fun seeing it, it ends with real cool (smb. will say barbarian, figuratively speaking) perspective. I def. enjoyed the main film, in fact it's the best whodunit, place: boarding house, with each lodger/ maid/ landlord being murder suspect. It's terribly good to see familiar face, esp. fave face, lovely Heather Angel, seen her in "Suspicion", Hitch/ Fontaine/ Grant film. This time she's the main cast which is jolly good. I wished to see her in such type film,with bigger screen presence - yay, get that wish realized, ha. Pity film's length is 57 minutes. Would be cool if they did sequel, with *nobody* replaced. 10/10.

Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: October 22, 2019, 08:33:51 AM »

I've been catching up on/rewatching some Stanley Kubrick movies.

I rewatched 2001: A Space Odyssey for the first time in 20 years. Still don't like it. It looks really, really great and has some interesting moments and ideas to contemplate. But it is so dull.

The Shining remains thrilling. Spartacus also rules. My biggest surprises were The Killing and Paths of Glory, both of which were excellent, and I don't feel like you hear about those as much as his others.

I've got Barry Lyndon on deck next, which I've never seen.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: October 22, 2019, 09:57:10 AM »

Glad to see you say it's "so dull". Agree 200%. Yet people keep making big deal about that extremely overrated space flick. Roll Eyes

Curious about "Lolita" when you get to it. Imo it's James Mason's best play, perfectly cast.

Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: October 23, 2019, 01:22:36 PM »

I saw Lolita probably around the time I saw 2001 for the first time. I love Peter Sellers in just about anything. The 1997 version with Jeremy Irons was decent, as I recall. But I'll definitely give Kubrick's version a second watch.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: October 25, 2019, 08:22:14 AM »

See, I never get when people praise Peter Sellers. Frankly, I CAN'T STAND him. Yes, Jeremy Irons "Lolita" is dull as heck.

Seen "Charade" (1963). Audrey Hepburn, Cary Grant, James Coburn, Walter Matthau, George Kennedy. This film got lotsa things going at the same time - thriller, comedy, romance (need I say whose romance with who? Yep, they), suspense, even action. I didn't see any film like it. Least wouldn't tell by mem'ry. James Coburn is very famous, everybody familiar with him but this is frankly introductionary film he starrs,didn't see the guy b4. Am ignorant like that heh. Anyhoo, generally, anything with Audrey is good to this film viewer, it's entertaining 2 hrs. I prefer these type fast-paced films when everytime sth. else is going in the screen. It keeps film interesting, y'know. Coburn's cool here. Cary Grant's typically rife with dry humor lines, funny dialogs, Audrey too. She acts kooky at times & hilarious. Walter Matthau, the unfunny comedian that everybody else thinks funny, here plays baddie disguised as law-abiding guy working in CIA (who got mildly annoyed when Audrey blundered "CIO" - "CI...A", he answered with emphasis at "A"). Final 20-30 minutes=best bit by far - chases, identity revelations, hidings, it's really tough film for Audrey, not what you expect to see in films she starrs. It at times looked like Hitchcock copycat, in good way. It's like director is his biggest fan, studied his tricks, techniques many years. 8.5/10.

Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: October 25, 2019, 10:20:58 AM »

There's no accounting for taste. I like Peter Sellers. I enjoy the Pink Panther movies, especially A Shot in the Dark, and I think he's brilliant in both Dr. Strangelove and Being There.

I'm a big fan of Charade. I remember reading that they originally wanted Cary Grant as James Bond in Dr. No, but he wouldn't agree to do more than one movie. Charade seems like what his take on Bond would have been.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: October 26, 2019, 06:46:22 AM »

A quite extraordinary film starring Benedict Cumberbatch about the pre-amble to the Brexit referendum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5S1EMmCWAE

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brexit:_The_Uncivil_War

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: October 29, 2019, 05:10:50 AM »

2 Italy films w/ Mastroyanni - "Marriage In Italy" (1964), "Dolce Vita" (1960). MII is little nice. Few funny bits, at least it's positive than DV. Sophi Loren got chops to play funny & gloomy, decent character play. DV's single big disadvantage is DV. I'd seen hour & half & couldn't believe it's yet to play hour & half. Dullest film I'd seen. Beats Kubrick's space flick. What's the main purpose to create such distressingly dull film about people who rarely say things which make sense? It's like Federico/ screenwriter let loose, improvised rubbish lines. What really odd lot is characters. What's the point, f.ex., with main guy's touring streets with American actress he barely knew & who didn't get his praises in Italian (she speaks English)? What for he dated rich dame with sunnies who wished to pick strange poor girl, drove to her flat with badly damaged in water floor to sleep over? Such difficult script. Then there's fantastically bizarre scene when everybody believes 2 kids who claim they see Madonna. Starts rain - everybody clutches tree branches (thinking they bring good luck/ happiness, sth. good. Didn't pay attn what made actually people to get the branches). Respectively - 3/10 & 0/10 (till 1h:30m).

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: October 29, 2019, 06:27:33 PM »

Catching with Hitch films-3 - "Jamaica Inn" (1939). Maureen O'Hara, Leslie Banks, Charles Laughton. It's good. Maureen's beauty shines thru (as usual, besides she is 18-19, she gets the bill "Introducing..." in intro) & here she ain't feisty like many girls she'll play - good. Like it when she's little mellower. Pirate bits induced boredom yet few been cool. It's British unique film: next film Hitch relocates to U.S. Well-chosen cast generally, talented bunch. Bottom line: Hitch fans will enjoy it by half. 7/10.

Film to see: "Compulsion" (1959). Mainly to compare with "Rope" (1948). They tell about murder student case. Features Dean Stockwell in main duet. I'd seen him in "Langoliers"; it made me think he began career at senior/ granpa age. Looks like he played in films when he got young.

Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: October 30, 2019, 08:16:32 AM »

Here are a couple things I've watched over the last couple days ... 

Echo in the Canyon (2019) - Finally saw this documentary about the Laurel Canyon music scene that people have been raving about. The interviews with period musicians were great, including an animated Brian Wilson. However, Jakob Dylan is the most boring host/narrator/interviewer I've ever seen. Most of his responses amounted to a pained smile and a "Hmm." The other contemporary musicians, with the exception of Beck, were also lacking. I know they were trying to show how the Southern California folk-rock of the 1960's and '70's has influenced musicians over the years, but these were poor representatives. Still, it was worth watching to see Brian, Roger McGuinn, Tom Petty, Graham Nash, Eric Clapton and others. The weirdest part was the end where Neil Young shows up out nowhere to shred on guitar in the studio. Unless I missed it, he was not among those interviewed.

David Crosby: Remember My Name (2019) - Speaking of recent music documentaries, this one was far superior of the two. Crosby was open, honest and entertaining throughout this unflinching career retrospective. I was also delighted to see my hometown (Kent, Ohio) show up unexpectedly, when he talked about how the killings at Kent State on May 4, 1970, influenced the band. There's kind of a sad narrative of how Crosby has to keep touring despite health issues. He also talked a lot about how he's ruined the musical relationships he's had over the years. I kept hoping the documentary would find a way to help him mend those fences. If you're into the Byrds and CSN (and sometimes Y), this is definitely a good watch.

Red State (2011) - Kevin Smith has been in the news a lot with his new movie Jay & Silent Bob Reboot, so I thought I'd rewatch of few of his "classics" and catch up on a few others I missed. This is one of his few attempts at making a serious movie, this being an attempt at a horror/thriller. It centers on a radical religious group living in a fortified compound in rural America, similar as what happened in Waco, Texas, in 1993. Right up until the end, I was convinced this was Kevin Smith's hidden masterpiece, but then the rushed ending spirals into strange conspiracy theories. It was almost really good. At least it was short.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: October 30, 2019, 08:36:43 AM »

David's album with similar title's snoozer. Frankly, I ain't CSNY fan. Nobody in the 4-people band. Nash got meh voice, ditto Crosby with Young. Stills' is mediocre at best. Harmonies didn't impress. Ditto melodies.

"Red State" may be interesting to check, given its designation. Didn't hear about Kevin Smith. New name. As is new title "...Bob Reboot".

"Psycho" billionth time - 10/10.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: October 31, 2019, 05:57:28 AM »

"Goodbye Charlie" (1964), Vincent Minnelli humor/ fantasy film. 3/10.

Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: October 31, 2019, 06:41:55 AM »

Kevin Smith made his name with the movie Clerks in 1994 and has made a series of comedies featuring his side characters Jay and Silent Bob (Smith plays Silent Bob), who also appear in Mall Rats, Chasing Amy, Dogma, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back and Clerks 2. His humor ranges from raunchy to slap stick, but the movies are usually entertaining, especially if you like Star Wars and comic books. They all have a bit of an amateurish quality. Red State isn't like any of those mentioned above though. It's dark and violent.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: October 31, 2019, 06:28:23 PM »

Thanks. Will skip listed films - seem boring. Hate "Star Wars"/ comics.

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56   Go Up
Print
Jump to: