-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:15:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 443160 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: August 30, 2019, 01:31:19 AM »

Would like to see "The Favourite" with Olivia Colman - & Emma Stone doing nice British accent - despite the fact really hate costumized ancient historic films (1400-1800s), it's instant snoozers 98% time. But, I got interested in this Olivia actress by seeing her Academy win speech.
Seen it just few hrs back - the costumes indeed distracted, hate such films but it's got 3 good actresses. Besides it, Emma Stone is just huggable, cutest villain. Ditto Olivia Colman as frail queen, lovely & to snuggle with sharing single shawl. Interestingly, she didn't take much screen time in the film. Yet I think, when finished seeing it, that her acting is better (that tiny bit difference that matters) than the other 2's to win Oscar. But Rachel & Emma indeed played it solid. Didn't care about the background actors, ball dance parties etc., things to do with this time in history. They bore. Cool finale if little bit cliffhanger-y. There's ambiguity about if queen got better off with Abigail or best if she could get Sarah back despite exiling her. 7/10.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: August 30, 2019, 06:53:38 AM »

Good acting team. Did they get the full film to youtube?
'kay, checked it - youtube didn't get the film. Ta anyway.

Went to local cinema's Internet club to ask admin to d/l "Ned Kelly" - *1970*, with Mick Jagger. Then in next few hours get sms the film's ready. I get there & the guy saves it to flash drive, get home & what you think? It's 2000s version with Heath Ledger. Usually, I don't delete film due to such mistakes, still see it to justify money paid. But here, going forward thru various time stamps in new "Ned Kelly", to check what it's like, I deleted it. I'd say 2000s films got bigger ratio of dull inspireless films. Add 90s as well.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: August 30, 2019, 09:11:29 AM »

Forgot to say I really enjoyed the new "Lion King", aka "live action" (boy, isn't it dumb term). MUCH better than '94 cartoon? You bet. 3D I hear it's been met with negative reactions. I'm puzzled, tbh. To start, the plot that LK fans nostalgic about the 'toon loved is intact - practically zero changes save Beyonce sings songs plus new song added she sings as well (it's fine). Next, the characters look, as I said previously, very huggable, very adorable, the way Scar is going, his serious sulky hermit introvert face/  attitude looks utterly sweet. He doesn't look very evil but beneath the harmlessness there's running various schemes. I got this vibe about his speaking with Mufasa & Simba. Simba little & adult is definition of "d'aww". Sarabi looks good. I liked voice characters this time around too. Jeremy Irons gets praised for Scar. Fair but Chiwetel Ejiofor did splendid voice work as well. Can't either be liked simultaneously? I say yes. Beyonce did well as Nala, if she didn't, it wouldn't be big deal - point is, I never care about Nala in LK. Everybody can feel free to start Nala fan club. The fight scene is super! AND Hans Zimmer orig. composer's back. 9/10. At least fans agree that visually it's "stunning". Glad. But it's puzzling to read that they prefer when characters convey feelings facially. Why? Riddle of the year. I mean, voices can do conveying very well, can't they? Radio plays, anybody?

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: August 30, 2019, 09:47:43 AM »

Forgot to say I really enjoyed the new "Lion King", aka "live action" (boy, isn't it dumb term). MUCH better than '94 cartoon? You bet. 3D I hear it's been met with negative reactions. I'm puzzled, tbh. To start, the plot that LK fans nostalgic about the 'toon loved is intact - practically zero changes save Beyonce sings songs plus new song added she sings as well (it's fine). Next, the characters look, as I said previously, very huggable, very adorable, the way Scar is going, his serious sulky hermit introvert face/  attitude looks utterly sweet. He doesn't look very evil but beneath the harmlessness there's running various schemes. I got this vibe about his speaking with Mufasa & Simba. Simba little & adult is definition of "d'aww". Sarabi looks good. I liked voice characters this time around too. Jeremy Irons gets praised for Scar. Fair but Chiwetel Ejiofor did splendid voice work as well. Can't either be liked simultaneously? I say yes. Beyonce did well as Nala, if she didn't, it wouldn't be big deal - point is, I never care about Nala in LK. Everybody can feel free to start Nala fan club. The fight scene is super! AND Hans Zimmer orig. composer's back. 9/10. At least fans agree that visually it's "stunning". Glad. But it's puzzling to read that they prefer when characters convey feelings facially. Why? Riddle of the year. I mean, voices can do conveying very well, can't they? Radio plays, anybody?

My son and his kids saw The Lion King the other week. I'll ask them what they thought of it.

Yes, Hans Zimmer is a brilliant composer.

As for radio plays, I listened to dozens back in the '50s and '60s. I like them--they leave so much to the imagination...  Wink

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: August 30, 2019, 10:42:16 AM »

Yeah, tell what they answered.

Would like to see "Midsommar" but think its theatre time expired by now. Been seriously intrigued by its trailer, at specific point there's huge sun with rays (artificial, made of wood but still) that locals, Swedes, carry & place in the open area to start the titular celebrations. That sun, alone, really brought psychedelic vibe to my imagination. Which is uber cool. It's directed by young fledgling filmmaker Ari Aster who, ditto fans, described it "folk horror". & I'm totally game regarding the new face I see, leading actress, young lady by name Florence Pugh. I absolutely like her voice, she duped me into thinking she's American, she's got very cool American young college student accent. Yep, this is sth. I'd describe it as. But, she's limey. Meaning she's talented. & she's pretty to boot, in cool girl way who plays it casual. Less impressed with the guy actor, her film bf who she's got strained relationship in it. I don't like boy-girl relationship-driven films, they tend to be dull as heck but I'm willing to ignore it this time & it looks like there's many things going around in film. It's eerily very bright-looking, everybody's smiley against the sharp nervous violin music. & main girl starts suspecting, as per trailer. If it appears in torrents, preferably without translation, will snag it.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: September 02, 2019, 09:44:06 AM »

Saw Lawrence of Arabia yesterday on the big screen. I went alone as my sister, a huge TE Lawrence fan, was in the hospital and now needs oxygen - waiting for a portable tank.
It was great to see the movie in a theater filled with fans - to not hear, "Good Lawd, this is only half over?" at the Intermission - and the conversation about the film and the actors
 An amusing thing happened while Lawrence and company made their long, dangerous trek through the desert on their way to Aqaba, trying not to die of thirst. I heard pounding all of a sudden on the roof of the theater. Heavy rain for a few minutes. : -)

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: September 02, 2019, 01:19:43 PM »

Yeah, tell what they answered.

This evening I spoke with my ten-year-old grandson about the new Lion King and he got quite animated (no pun intended). Said there was a lot of fire at the end. It clearly made a big impression on him. I'll check with my eight-year-old granddaughter when I think of it. 

We took our daughter to see the original cartoon in the '90s--I can't remember much about it to be quite honest! That says a lot perhaps...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: September 02, 2019, 01:27:55 PM »

Saw Lawrence of Arabia yesterday on the big screen. I went alone as my sister, a huge TE Lawrence fan, was in the hospital and now needs oxygen - waiting for a portable tank.
It was great to see the movie in a theater filled with fans - to not hear, "Good Lawd, this is only half over?" at the Intermission - and the conversation about the film and the actors
 An amusing thing happened while Lawrence and company made their long, dangerous trek through the desert on their way to Aqaba, trying not to die of thirst. I heard pounding all of a sudden on the roof of the theater. Heavy rain for a few minutes. : -)

So sorry to hear about your sister, E.

It's good to know the film had a loving audience. I was too young to remember how the audience reacted back at that early screening in London. The big screen... Wow, I'm jealous! Roll Eyes

That's golden, the downpour during the desert trek. LOL

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: September 09, 2019, 08:41:25 AM »

"Little Women" (2019) clip - Emma Watson, Timothee Chalamet, Laura Dern look like 5th wheels. Could they pull people they play? Anticipated film, nevertheless. I'd seen 5 films based at the book.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: September 17, 2019, 09:40:12 PM »

"Donnie Darko" - didn't see it b4, HATE it. 0/10. Hate Jake Gilen-what's his name. Zzzz, real dullard. ZERO acting chops. It's like they found some kid in street & made him agree to play in this utterly insipid stupid flick.

Listen to the advice - who didn't yet see this film, don't see it. See better films instead.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: September 21, 2019, 07:15:40 AM »

I didn't see it before but today few hrs back viewed initially "2001: A Space Odyssey" (1968). As usual with space/ star films, didn't expect to like it. When it started, I got majorly angry with being met by pitch black screen & music in the background. Couldn't believe the eyes, figured been cheated by peeps in the Internet club who downloaded this film to flash drive. Then I check google & what do you know - ha, it's film crew's idea. I little bit calmed down but seeing black without visuals is quite annoying. It being Kubrick's child, surely it means sth.

Then starts "Dawn..." segment. Veeeeery long. I got restless with it. Finally, got to hear decipherable human dialogs. Did "Airplane" (1980) parody this film's scenes? Hearing waltz playing gave "Airplane" flashbacks when Ted Striker listens to classical music, waltz even IIRC, then catches glimpse in window that 2 airplane staff members dance in the space.

Space ship looks really cool inside, I been little bit envious that they could walk in walls (due to gravity?), elevators look cool, food looks interesting etc.

Funny the main guy famous due to this film appears just halfway thru film.

Speaking about waltzes, "Blue Danube" is big-time favorite since childhood, when it played in fridge TV commercial where cat tries to get fish in the fridge.
Intro music when the credits start is used in Russian intellectual game "What? Where? When?", aka "experts vs. TV viewers". I'm used to hearing it there. I cannot link such majestic music with space film introduction. Doesn't make sense to these ears & to this film viewer's imagination.

Super-brainy computer 9000 speaks. I's tired seeing it thru & thru today. Maybe next scenes will be interesting.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 07:20:48 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: September 21, 2019, 05:35:36 PM »

Ha! What did you think of Hal? He was a bad boy.

And that ending. I saw it when it first came out as an 11 year old in early June 1968.* I saw it on a special screen - it was filmed by a process called "Cinerama". I saw it at a special theater that had a curved screen. Thought I was "trippin" while watching all those lights flying past, with the weird modern classical music.

*I always associate this movie with the assassination of Robert Kennedy, which took place Just a couple of days after seeing it.

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: September 22, 2019, 02:01:04 AM »

Due to question not being answered, this brilliant review deleted.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 08:32:11 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: September 22, 2019, 04:18:28 AM »

I love 2001: A Space Odyssey! I've seen it at least six times. The first time was in 1972, in the middle seat of the front row of an empty cinema. It doesn't get much better than that. Roll Eyes

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: September 23, 2019, 06:13:29 AM »

2 newly seen films -  "Strait-Jacket" (1964) & "Wicker Man" (1973).

William Castle made S-J, he is random street guy waiting when Rosemary finishes call in booth in "Rosemary's Baby" which he produced.
Starrs luminous Joan Crawford with less-than-flattering Diane Baker. Disappointing, its trailer looks crazier, posters - impress. But it's weak with many dull filler scenes. It's been putdown. It should be macabre, very in spades - instead it's some random 60s film I'd seen. Joan shines but she really can't save it when everybody else isn't as good. 6/10 due to film premise which is Robert Bloch's.

WM is made by obscure filmmaker, features equally obscure faces besides horror film mogul Christopher Lee. 1st detail to pay attention is the music/ songs sound MISPLACED. It didn't add ANY frights. Didn't set the mood required when you see film in horror genre. There's funny in laughable way scenes, people living in the island couldn't be dumber giving stupid bordering with farcical answers, saccharinely festive with weird grinning & childishly bug-eyed naive eyes staring at the big land's police guy. It's been planned, sure. But it doesn't make them less dumb. In fact, it emphasizes their stupidity. They've zero clue about what they'd really been doing. Being led by Lee's character like idiots. They shoulda been punished with police guy in wicker man thingy. Poor animals, they didn't deserve to be burned with police guy. It's cruel attitude towards animals. Hate violence used against these creatures.
Btw, Christopher Lee looked hilarious in girl's dress, long hair wig, it looked like he even tried to walk like girl but tall & rather masculine. I nearly fell off chair seeing him like that. The prettiest girl, which I decided few minutes into film, is missing girl played by Gerry Cowper. By miles, she's the best-looking, big distance away followed by actress who played blissfully ignorant ditzy teacher. Frankly I wanted to punch her face across wall few times, haha. Anyhoo, bottom line - too hodgepodge, nonsensical, about nothing really film. I logically deduced that Wicker man is main villain, vicious mysterious creature hiding in fields. But...it's just weird figure they made to cage inside "sacrifices" to then burn them & promise they'll get re-birth. Surely they jest. 2/10.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: September 23, 2019, 08:41:34 PM »

Wha'? I'd written brilliant reviews yet nobody joined to discuss? police J/k (not, heh)

Plan to see "David & Lisa" (1962) featuring Keir Dullea (David), "Space Odyssey" guy. Its Imdb description made me interested & I marvelled at pretty, new to these eyes, Janet Margolin who is Lisa in the film. I find films about schizophrenics very fascinating, generally, to tell the truth.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: September 24, 2019, 02:05:20 AM »

Wha'? I'd written brilliant reviews yet nobody joined to discuss? police J/k (not, heh)

Plan to see "David & Lisa" (1962) featuring Keir Dullea (David), "Space Odyssey" guy. Its Imdb description made me interested & I marvelled at pretty, new to these eyes, Janet Margolin who is Lisa in the film. I find films about schizophrenics very fascinating, generally, to tell the truth.

Oh relax, RR. I enjoy reading your reviews but I'm just not a film person so I have nothing to say. Anyway, unlike you (and Cassandra) I either like a film or I don't. I guess I'm just not opinionated about things. But don't worry, your reviews don't go unnoticed. And "D&L" looks fascinating, as you say.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: September 24, 2019, 08:25:36 PM »

Got the opportunity to go out to see a movie. Decided to go to one I saw once 25 years ago on the Big Screen and who knows how many times on television.
Think I was drawn by the famous line in the film - "Get busy living or get busy dying."

There will be a couple of other classics on the Big Screen next month. One is "Alien." Good movie but don't know if I could stomach ( so to speak) John Hurt's character's final moments.
Think I will go to "Ghostbusters." Believe it or not, I don't think I've ever seen it.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: September 25, 2019, 01:25:05 AM »

Got the opportunity to go out to see a movie. Decided to go to one I saw once 25 years ago on the Big Screen and who knows how many times on television.
Think I was drawn by the famous line in the film - "Get busy living or get busy dying."

There will be a couple of other classics on the Big Screen next month. One is "Alien." Good movie but don't know if I could stomach ( so to speak) John Hurt's character's final moments.
Think I will go to "Ghostbusters." Believe it or not, I don't think I've ever seen it.

Those are three films I have yet to see. I've seen James Cameron's Aliens and was most impressed.

The first two you mention (I googled the famous line) are possible candidates for JK viewing, if they get shown on TV.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: September 25, 2019, 03:10:33 AM »

Nola, tell what do you like about "Shawshank"? I'm curious why it's praised by many. They say it's great & never explain which's frankly akin to trolling ("It's great!" "It's classic!" "Awesome movie!", then...disappear). Shouldn't people actually tell reasons they like film they cite "great"/ "classic"?
To me, it's veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery boring. I'd seen it 3 times & 3 times it's boring, boring, boring. Can't stand Tim Robbins, blah meh actor.

I believe you. Tongue Wish I didn't see it. "Alien" ain't bad, if rife with filler sequences.

It's cool thing about U.S. - theaters displaying archaic films. In this city, there ain't such place. They're likely in big Moscow, St. Petersburg, Ufa.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1320 on: September 25, 2019, 06:32:44 AM »

I like movies that have good character development. The line "Get busy living or get busy dying" means different things during the course of the film. During the early parts Dufresne decides to make the best of a bad situation, to get busy living instead of vegetating in prison. So he helps to build a Library, tutor prisoners to pass their GED s (test to have them credited with finishing High School).  Doing other stuff such as taxes for the staff and Warden helps bring other perks.
However when the Big plot twist arrives (JK hasn't seen movie, so won't give spoiler ) The "Get busy living" line takes on an entirely new meaning.
I also like Dufresne's friendship with Red. And the sad story of Brooks.

As for theaters showing these oldies, there's a national company (Fathom Events) that shows these movies, along with old TV shows and concerts, on movie screens throughout the U.S..
We also have a local theater that shows an old movie every week, on Sundays and Wednesdays. This week's movie is "After the Thin Man" from the 1930s.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 06:36:57 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: September 25, 2019, 12:32:02 PM »

However when the Big plot twist arrives (JK hasn't seen movie, so won't give spoiler ) The "Get busy living" line takes on an entirely new meaning.

Thanks, E. The chances are good that it will be shown on Dutch/Belgian/UK TV before too long.  Wink

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: September 25, 2019, 06:55:22 PM »

Although not movies, I just got a announcement that 6 restored Twilight Zone shows, along with a mini biography of Rod Serling, will be shown in 600 or so US theaters in November.
Hope I can go!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 07:05:04 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: October 10, 2019, 04:37:50 PM »

Been viewing 1930s short films - previously mentioned Patsy Kelly-Thelma Todd duet, this time Zasu Pitts-Todd shorts. Whilst Pitts isn't good as Patsy who is great comedienne, she did tardy girl schtick with bizarreness well. Did anybody see? Choose - Pitts-Todd? Kelly-Todd? Besides, did anybody catch that Pitts looks like Lillian Gish? Read Pitts began in silents, even featured with Gish in single film.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: October 11, 2019, 09:14:07 AM »

To piggyback at previous, check shorts in youtube if never seen (which is funny since there's many archaic film fans):
Pitts-Todd
"Strictly Unreliable"
"Asleep In The Feet"
"The Bargain Of The Century"
"Alum & Eve"
 "Red Noses" due to peculiarly advanced treatments - in 1930s. Did spa really exist back then? Well, there's Ms. Marple book that mentions Ms. Blacklock being in "spa hotel" with Ms. Bunner. Yet, in "Red Noses" girls run with different speeds in long moving thin line akin to trademill/ escalator. Thelma gets seated in stool which moves. Mechanical animal Pitts gets seated, it starts riding. Varied tough massage methods.

Kelly-Todd
Each is comedy gold. Patsy's very funny. Thelma's good too with her than she is with Pitts.

Still curious re: Gish-Pitts. Did anybody compare who's better silent actress? It's fun to do, y'know. Smb. with jolly difficult name regarded Zasu Pitts his favorite actress & "best tragedienne". This despite the fact he worked with Gish too. Then there *gotta* be sth. special about Pitts. It piqued the interest, intrigued beyond. Usually, it's Gish who gets praised, pioneer actress who invented acting techniques thespians use today - Gish's Imdb says it. But she really got praised, seen clips about it. Pitts I found about just few days back. Meaning she's obscure. Yet, they say she could do comedy & tragedy EQUALLY SKILLFULLY. Whilst Gish played mainly in serious films. Which tells that Pitts is versatile. But they really look like sisters. Heck, Dorothy Gish doesn't look as similar to Lillian as Zasu. Sure, sisters/ sibs may look different but still fabulous resemblance betwixt Gish & Pitts. Thin lips, downbeat eyes, delicately shaped face.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 09:28:57 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56   Go Up
Print
Jump to: