-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 15, 2019, 05:25:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 138124 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: August 30, 2019, 01:31:19 AM »

Would like to see "The Favourite" with Olivia Colman - & Emma Stone doing nice British accent - despite the fact really hate costumized ancient historic films (1400-1800s), it's instant snoozers 98% time. But, I got interested in this Olivia actress by seeing her Academy win speech.
Seen it just few hrs back - the costumes indeed distracted, hate such films but it's got 3 good actresses. Besides it, Emma Stone is just huggable, cutest villain. Ditto Olivia Colman as frail queen, lovely & to snuggle with sharing single shawl. Interestingly, she didn't take much screen time in the film. Yet I think, when finished seeing it, that her acting is better (that tiny bit difference that matters) than the other 2's to win Oscar. But Rachel & Emma indeed played it solid. Didn't care about the background actors, ball dance parties etc., things to do with this time in history. They bore. Cool finale if little bit cliffhanger-y. There's ambiguity about if queen got better off with Abigail or best if she could get Sarah back despite exiling her. 7/10.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Gene Tierney is beautiful. She's talented.

"Broiler Brunch" - check in theaters new fam TV series! Better than since Bradys!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: August 30, 2019, 06:53:38 AM »

Good acting team. Did they get the full film to youtube?
'kay, checked it - youtube didn't get the film. Ta anyway.

Went to local cinema's Internet club to ask admin to d/l "Ned Kelly" - *1970*, with Mick Jagger. Then in next few hours get sms the film's ready. I get there & the guy saves it to flash drive, get home & what you think? It's 2000s version with Heath Ledger. Usually, I don't delete film due to such mistakes, still see it to justify money paid. But here, going forward thru various time stamps in new "Ned Kelly", to check what it's like, I deleted it. I'd say 2000s films got bigger ratio of dull inspireless films. Add 90s as well.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

"Broiler Brunch" - check in theaters new fam TV series! Better than since Bradys!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: August 30, 2019, 09:11:29 AM »

Forgot to say I really enjoyed the new "Lion King", aka "live action" (boy, isn't it dumb term). MUCH better than '94 cartoon? You bet. 3D I hear it's been met with negative reactions. I'm puzzled, tbh. To start, the plot that LK fans nostalgic about the 'toon loved is intact - practically zero changes save Beyonce sings songs plus new song added she sings as well (it's fine). Next, the characters look, as I said previously, very huggable, very adorable, the way Scar is going, his serious sulky hermit introvert face/  attitude looks utterly sweet. He doesn't look very evil but beneath the harmlessness there's running various schemes. I got this vibe about his speaking with Mufasa & Simba. Simba little & adult is definition of "d'aww". Sarabi looks good. I liked voice characters this time around too. Jeremy Irons gets praised for Scar. Fair but Chiwetel Ejiofor did splendid voice work as well. Can't either be liked simultaneously? I say yes. Beyonce did well as Nala, if she didn't, it wouldn't be big deal - point is, I never care about Nala in LK. Everybody can feel free to start Nala fan club. The fight scene is super! AND Hans Zimmer orig. composer's back. 9/10. At least fans agree that visually it's "stunning". Glad. But it's puzzling to read that they prefer when characters convey feelings facially. Why? Riddle of the year. I mean, voices can do conveying very well, can't they? Radio plays, anybody?

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: August 30, 2019, 09:47:43 AM »

Forgot to say I really enjoyed the new "Lion King", aka "live action" (boy, isn't it dumb term). MUCH better than '94 cartoon? You bet. 3D I hear it's been met with negative reactions. I'm puzzled, tbh. To start, the plot that LK fans nostalgic about the 'toon loved is intact - practically zero changes save Beyonce sings songs plus new song added she sings as well (it's fine). Next, the characters look, as I said previously, very huggable, very adorable, the way Scar is going, his serious sulky hermit introvert face/  attitude looks utterly sweet. He doesn't look very evil but beneath the harmlessness there's running various schemes. I got this vibe about his speaking with Mufasa & Simba. Simba little & adult is definition of "d'aww". Sarabi looks good. I liked voice characters this time around too. Jeremy Irons gets praised for Scar. Fair but Chiwetel Ejiofor did splendid voice work as well. Can't either be liked simultaneously? I say yes. Beyonce did well as Nala, if she didn't, it wouldn't be big deal - point is, I never care about Nala in LK. Everybody can feel free to start Nala fan club. The fight scene is super! AND Hans Zimmer orig. composer's back. 9/10. At least fans agree that visually it's "stunning". Glad. But it's puzzling to read that they prefer when characters convey feelings facially. Why? Riddle of the year. I mean, voices can do conveying very well, can't they? Radio plays, anybody?

My son and his kids saw The Lion King the other week. I'll ask them what they thought of it.

Yes, Hans Zimmer is a brilliant composer.

As for radio plays, I listened to dozens back in the '50s and '60s. I like them--they leave so much to the imagination...  Wink

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: August 30, 2019, 10:42:16 AM »

Yeah, tell what they answered.

Would like to see "Midsommar" but think its theatre time expired by now. Been seriously intrigued by its trailer, at specific point there's huge sun with rays (artificial, made of wood but still) that locals, Swedes, carry & place in the open area to start the titular celebrations. That sun, alone, really brought psychedelic vibe to my imagination. Which is uber cool. It's directed by young fledgling filmmaker Ari Aster who, ditto fans, described it "folk horror". & I'm totally game regarding the new face I see, leading actress, young lady by name Florence Pugh. I absolutely like her voice, she duped me into thinking she's American, she's got very cool American young college student accent. Yep, this is sth. I'd describe it as. But, she's limey. Meaning she's talented. & she's pretty to boot, in cool girl way who plays it casual. Less impressed with the guy actor, her film bf who she's got strained relationship in it. I don't like boy-girl relationship-driven films, they tend to be dull as heck but I'm willing to ignore it this time & it looks like there's many things going around in film. It's eerily very bright-looking, everybody's smiley against the sharp nervous violin music. & main girl starts suspecting, as per trailer. If it appears in torrents, preferably without translation, will snag it.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: September 02, 2019, 09:44:06 AM »

Saw Lawrence of Arabia yesterday on the big screen. I went alone as my sister, a huge TE Lawrence fan, was in the hospital and now needs oxygen - waiting for a portable tank.
It was great to see the movie in a theater filled with fans - to not hear, "Good Lawd, this is only half over?" at the Intermission - and the conversation about the film and the actors
 An amusing thing happened while Lawrence and company made their long, dangerous trek through the desert on their way to Aqaba, trying not to die of thirst. I heard pounding all of a sudden on the roof of the theater. Heavy rain for a few minutes. : -)

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: September 02, 2019, 01:19:43 PM »

Yeah, tell what they answered.

This evening I spoke with my ten-year-old grandson about the new Lion King and he got quite animated (no pun intended). Said there was a lot of fire at the end. It clearly made a big impression on him. I'll check with my eight-year-old granddaughter when I think of it. 

We took our daughter to see the original cartoon in the '90s--I can't remember much about it to be quite honest! That says a lot perhaps...

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: September 02, 2019, 01:27:55 PM »

Saw Lawrence of Arabia yesterday on the big screen. I went alone as my sister, a huge TE Lawrence fan, was in the hospital and now needs oxygen - waiting for a portable tank.
It was great to see the movie in a theater filled with fans - to not hear, "Good Lawd, this is only half over?" at the Intermission - and the conversation about the film and the actors
 An amusing thing happened while Lawrence and company made their long, dangerous trek through the desert on their way to Aqaba, trying not to die of thirst. I heard pounding all of a sudden on the roof of the theater. Heavy rain for a few minutes. : -)

So sorry to hear about your sister, E.

It's good to know the film had a loving audience. I was too young to remember how the audience reacted back at that early screening in London. The big screen... Wow, I'm jealous! Roll Eyes

That's golden, the downpour during the desert trek. LOL

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: September 09, 2019, 08:41:25 AM »

"Little Women" (2019) clip - Emma Watson, Timothee Chalamet, Laura Dern look like 5th wheels. Could they pull people they play? Anticipated film, nevertheless. I'd seen 5 films based at the book.

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: