-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:36:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 443106 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1275 on: May 28, 2019, 03:48:41 AM »

Quote from: NOLA BB Fan
"Limelight" is one of those films that some don't like because it is "sentimental" and "old fashioned".
But isn't each Charlie film sentimental & old-fashioned? Weird reason to suddenly dislike it in "Limelight"'s case.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: May 28, 2019, 05:40:08 AM »

The only reason I can think of is that most movies were becoming grittier, sarcastic, etc. All the Film Noir stuff. Streetcar Named Desire, Sunset Boulevard etc etc. Even Chaplin's previous film, Monsieur Verdoux, was a very "dark" comedy (the main comedy being between Chaplin and comedienne Martha Raye).
So Limelight seems a little oddball. And it does get a bit melodramatic at times (my opinion). But still a very good movie.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: May 28, 2019, 07:04:00 AM »

Sure by comparison it is but surely at least Charlie fans could accept it with praise like they did his previous films? Face it, Nola, each Charlie film IS sentimental & melodramatic. You listed few of his past films as favorites, i.e. you didn't get any problem with it in them. Which leads me to ask - is "Limelight" extra-melodramatic, perhaps, than past films?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: May 28, 2019, 07:57:53 AM »

It's the people who aren't familiar with his work and then see this movie, and think it's too old fashioned and melodramatic. I would think Chaplin fans like this and are very happy that Chaplin was one of the actors who could successfully make the transition from silent to talking films.

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: May 28, 2019, 08:09:07 AM »

I got it, that's why I said by comparison, i.e. people not familiar with Charlie stuff. But you DO agree each Charlie film is sentimental & melodramatic, right? To repeat question - if indeed each Charlie film is such & such, why you say "Limelight" is melodramatic? What's about it that made you single it out like that? I'd like to know. You see, it really weirds me out that the quibble people would get about Charlie films is sentimentality & melodramaticity. It's Charlie Chaplin  essence, is it not?

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: May 28, 2019, 01:19:29 PM »

I don't think I'll ever answer the question to your satisfaction.
The best I can do is say that I've read that there was just a bit of criticism from Chaplin fans that he hadn't kept up with the advances in filmmaking techniques. He wasn't changing with the times.
(However, the movies before and after Limelight, Monsieur Verdoux and A King in New York, were anything but sentimental. So he could change if he wanted)in
Sorry I can't answer you better. Hope you get to see the film.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: May 28, 2019, 02:16:23 PM »

I think I asked simple question. Polite "Sorry, can't answer you" woulda sufficed. The 1st sentence you'd written isn't nice. I shan't ask any questions.

Today seen Clint Eastwood westerns.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: May 28, 2019, 04:13:04 PM »

I didn't mean it to be "not nice." I simply don't think I can give an answer. Yes I should have simply said I didn't know .

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: May 28, 2019, 05:59:06 PM »

I found the use of "ever" & "to your satisfaction" very distasteful. Don't use them again towards me. I shan't ask apology, it's useless.

I'm going to check each "Old Curiosity Shop" adaptation (see Reading thread).
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 06:14:38 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: May 29, 2019, 12:42:19 PM »

Lat night I watched the first episode of The Planets, a BBC documentary narrated by the ever-so-yummy Professor Brian Cox:  Roll Eyes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-zfnudBDDQ

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/may/28/the-planets-review-bbc-two-brian-cox-solar-system

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: May 30, 2019, 01:47:36 PM »

Seen 2007 "Old Curiosity Shop" adaptation with UK veteran thespian Derek Jacobi playing Nell's grandfather. Nice. But why Toby Jones as Quilp? He doesn't look sinister as book character. Toby displayed just evilly spiteful & sly/ scheming side but not sinister. Besides, real Quilp could be absurd with funny which lacks in Toby's interpretation. I shall judge each subsequent to see adaptation by actors playing Quilp. He's biggest favorite character in the book & significant in narrative, get him right, for pete's sake.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: June 01, 2019, 02:53:06 PM »

Film.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: June 04, 2019, 06:07:22 AM »

Happy birthday to THE beautiful, intelligent, kind, caring, talented Angelina Jolie! Enjoy cake, Angie! 3D

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: June 08, 2019, 04:31:01 PM »

"Lion King" since 99-2000. Still like this better than the next (lame) installments. But like back then, it didn't impress to the point everybody praised it. It's 5/10. Btw, really like the name Sarabi (Simba's mother). She looks gorgeous too.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: June 09, 2019, 05:51:35 AM »

Read literally few blinks back that "Lion King" remake will be in theatres in July, going to check trailer.

Checked - it seems they made it look like BBC docu, real deal. Frankly, it's better than cartoon visuals but Simba in either looks terribly cute. Here in new visuals - cuter. Thumbnail to trailer = cutesy pie. :D Like pet cat. Except little Simba w/ beautiful Sarabi, indifference towards wild big cats. Anyhoo, believe such BBC-like treatment should be best viewed with 3D glasses. People in youtube say the best is "IMAX". Being "backwards", what do even they mean?
Halfway in trailer, familiar music starts but little bit tweaked - it's when in cartoon Simba in the end wins Scar, steps up to cliff little-by-little - it's fave music bit by Hans Zimmer (sp). Hearing it going with this new visual is really cool.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: June 10, 2019, 04:18:28 AM »

Hi all,

Read re: "Aladdin" remake. Seeing cast means to check trailer will be useless. Zzz.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: June 11, 2019, 07:07:09 PM »

Plan to see "Dumbo" - Angie seen it with kids, will see it the way they'd seen it. I like to do it, to try to see films as the other (fave) peeps. Or listen to songs as the other peeps, based at their written reviews/ impressions. Try to see/ listen like they. It's such fun. Cool trick, y'know, to get into people's brains?
Besides will check film about Capote with Toby Jones. Recently discovered this great thespian, y'see.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: June 13, 2019, 07:59:20 PM »

Checking FB news, read that local short surreal claustrophobic film festival (big fan 3D ) will be in few days, am going to drag with I the teenage cousinette. If she doesn't like any - at least she got to eat free food (will be lotsa free food, including chocolates :D Shall take few cellophanes).

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: June 28, 2019, 02:51:25 PM »

Would like to see "The Favourite" with Olivia Colman - & Emma Stone doing nice British accent - despite the fact really hate costumized ancient historic films (1400-1800s), it's instant snoozers 98% time. But, I got interested in this Olivia actress by seeing her Academy win speech.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: July 21, 2019, 04:16:03 PM »

Few ancient "Twilight Zone" eps that people graciously shared in full for free to see in youtube. As they should ofc. police Amazed that nobody still shared full b&w film about ventriloquist & dummy - rmbr it? Really iconic, in many Best 10 horrors lists, yet nobody got it to youtube in HD. Weeeiird. Roll Eyes
But, I'll def see it regardless the obstacles. 200%.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: July 22, 2019, 08:43:34 PM »

Smb. in Internet review praised "Sybil". Checked it - pure gobbledygook. 0/5. Checked its remake - tiny bit improved lead. 0.5/5.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: July 31, 2019, 06:33:02 AM »

This is so good!  Roll Eyes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVTZhOLpXjI

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_Eve

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: August 01, 2019, 03:48:11 AM »

Last night we watched the gorgeous Sorrentino film Youth for the second time. One of the characters is a young masseuse (seen here dancing) played by the Bosnian actress Luna Zimić Mijović. I found this interview (in Bosnian) and just gawped at it for 6 minutes and 49 seconds. To quote one of the YT comments, "gosh she's beautiful"... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhPUSMYalI8

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Youth_(2015_film)

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: August 02, 2019, 01:22:52 AM »

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: August 30, 2019, 01:14:37 AM »

Good acting team. Did they get the full film to youtube?

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56   Go Up
Print
Jump to: