-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:56:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 443150 times)
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: March 29, 2019, 05:39:45 PM »

It's hard to watch because it's so hard to tell the fake dog show from the real one.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: March 29, 2019, 06:06:22 PM »

Well. Thanks anyway. Many English phrases don't make sense, this dialog illustrates it.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: March 30, 2019, 02:59:28 AM »

Got this lined up for four-part watching. Valentijn was pretty pioneering in 2007. But the Dutch are often at the forefront where pushing back boundaries and eradicating taboos are concerned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-vnVr1rhns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp_rDLohCkU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIEVd_4akc8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yMP0HNZ1GY

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/transgender-celebrities-you-need-to-know/9/

My goodness. Lost for words.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gruelingpace
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: March 30, 2019, 10:08:45 PM »

I've been enjoying lNetflix lately.
Olé Olé Olé!: A Trip Across Latin America
Narcos + Narcos Mexico
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: March 31, 2019, 01:40:35 AM »

"Nice Tales" - Russian 2-segment film.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 03:40:26 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: April 21, 2019, 06:22:47 PM »

I'd like to see good films.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: April 23, 2019, 09:01:51 PM »

Saw the documentary They Shall Not Grow Old today. I had missed it the other times it had been at our local theater. Luckily it came back again.
This is a documentary directed by Peter Jackson on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the end of World War I. It showed the military experiences of British troops, brilliantly presented.
I knew that it would be emotional to watch. The closest I came to tearing up actually was in the early part when the men enlisting were shown. Some of them were boys, not yet men (but they would quickly become men). The scenes of violence shown later were numbing, showing that indeed "War is Hell."
 If you have the opportunity to see this on the big screen please do so.

Another documentary I plan to see shortly is Amazing Grace an acclaimed film about Aretha Franklin.

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: April 24, 2019, 03:43:46 AM »

Saw the documentary They Shall Not Grow Old today. I had missed it the other times it had been at our local theater. Luckily it came back again.
This is a documentary directed by Peter Jackson on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the end of World War I. It showed the military experiences of British troops, brilliantly presented.
I knew that it would be emotional to watch. The closest I came to tearing up actually was in the early part when the men enlisting were shown. Some of them were boys, not yet men (but they would quickly become men). The scenes of violence shown later were numbing, showing that indeed "War is Hell."

I've seen this on TV. It's an intensely moving watch. What a complete and utter hell on earth that must have been. But an excellent documentary.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: April 24, 2019, 09:39:57 AM »

I wanted to see that. I haven't seen it at any of the theaters nearby though.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: May 02, 2019, 06:15:13 AM »

Watched this while I was working out at the gym this morning: Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXqmvFy9cXE

Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: May 02, 2019, 12:00:44 PM »

I'm currently plotting when I can finally go see Avengers: Endgame. Between work schedules, jury duty and raising a five-year-old, I've had to wait.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: May 02, 2019, 12:38:32 PM »

I'm currently plotting when I can finally go see Avengers: Endgame. Between work schedules, jury duty and raising a five-year-old, I've had to wait.

I hear it's pretty awesome. Good luck with the logistics!  Grin

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: May 06, 2019, 09:44:11 PM »

Sunday, looked thru youtube, found 1950 film noir "Night & The City" by Jules Dassin, with Richard Widmark & Gene Tierney. Checked trailer, immediately liked the adventurous bit when Richard's character runs away. Bookmarked.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: May 07, 2019, 05:31:33 PM »

I'm going to say sth. unpopular - Marlon Brando is nothing special. People say he's "ahead of his time", "pioneer in using method acting technique". Don't know if these labels are facts but either way he didn't leave any good to great impression. He didn't do anything unique that  couldn't be found in the other actors - his, past or later generation. But what's funnier, people compare him with Paul Newman, few even say Brando is better than Newman. 1st, why Newman? There's many actors to compare with. Next, better in which ways? They say better without bringing explanation.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: May 08, 2019, 04:53:19 AM »

"The Alfred Hitchcock Hour" = favorite series next to "Perry Mason". In fact, will say it's better than his feature films. Cool twists & get to see actors in the cast who didn't play in his features. Also, witty intros by Hitch & really cute screen cards with his chubby-cheeked profile :D between few scenes, as if fast gaps.

Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: May 08, 2019, 10:49:10 AM »

I hear it's pretty awesome. Good luck with the logistics!  Grin

Got to see it Monday. It was awesome.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: May 08, 2019, 01:08:28 PM »

"The Alfred Hitchcock Hour" = favorite series next to "Perry Mason". In fact, will say it's better than his feature films. Cool twists & get to see actors in the cast who didn't play in his features. Also, witty intros by Hitch & really cute screen cards with his chubby-cheeked profile :D between few scenes, as if fast gaps.

I like Alfred Hitchcock and his wry sense of humor. Wish the reruns of his show didn't come on so late at night.
Perry Mason shows come on during the day and my Mom likes to watch them.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: May 12, 2019, 06:07:01 AM »

Perry Mason shows come on during the day and my Mom likes to watch them.
She & Bette Davis. Bette stated she's fan & either did play or wished to play.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: May 27, 2019, 04:30:47 AM »

This clip, "Limelight" (1952): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eqB4_Z3OS4Q

Is it really Charlie Chaplin? Looks different. But especially surreal to see Chaplin talk. Anyhoo, would like to see entire film, seems positive & nice dialog. Recognize Claire Bloom who starred in "The Haunting" & Miss Marple BBC series (is it me or she kinda looks like Charlie's daughter actress Geraldine? Well, accurately age-wise it should be vice versa but anybody see it?).

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: May 27, 2019, 07:14:49 AM »

Limelight is the last film Chaplin made in the US. He made two very forgettable films after this.
I believe this was one of Claire Bloom's first movie roles.
Limelight is one of those films that some don't like because it is "sentimental" and " old fashioned. " But overall I like it. It's basically about a washed up comedian trying to help an ill young ballerina.
I'm a fan of old music hall stuff and the movie features some of the old routines Chaplin saw (and maybe performed) before he went into the movie business . He's in his early 60s but is still in great shape and can do the various stunts.
Trivia: The movie I believe had its debut in London. The Chaplin family sailed there and while at sea received notice that the US government would give him a hard time if he tried to return. So he didn't return until the early 1970s when he received a special Oscar. Also, since the movie Limelight wasn't shown in US theaters until the early 70s, its theme song was eligible for an Oscar. I remember hearing that song a lot but didn't know it was from that movie.
You can see one of the final scenes online - "Violin Piano Chaplin Keaton Limelight." Yes, this routine features Chaplin and Buster Keaton.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: May 27, 2019, 01:26:18 PM »

I don't think A King In New York is completely forgettable. It's far from Chaplin's best work, but it has its moments.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: May 27, 2019, 03:11:02 PM »

Maybe I should give it another chance. I only saw it once many years ago.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: May 27, 2019, 05:27:05 PM »

I think the scenes between him and the little boy, Rupert(his actual son, by the way), are hilarious.  Grin

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: May 27, 2019, 06:01:22 PM »

Oh my, different perspectives. It was precisely those scenes with son Michael that I didn't care for. I just found them very strange, not funny.
Maybe seeing it again 30 years later, I might feel differently. :-)

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: May 28, 2019, 03:42:45 AM »

I don't know, maybe it's just the idea of an older guy getting increasingly flustered by a kid.   Grin

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56   Go Up
Print
Jump to: