-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:28:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 56   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 443120 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: January 07, 2019, 11:38:53 AM »

Perhaps this thread should be moved to the 'General Entertainment' section?
What's this sudden idea? It's been here long time. It must stay.

"Cujo", Stephen King-adapted film. 7.5/10.
"Trucks", S. King-adapted again film. 9/10.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: January 18, 2019, 04:25:13 AM »

"Needful Things", Stephen King 1990s adaptation. 6.5/10.
"Home Alone 2", Christmas classic. 8/10.
"What About Bob" - the music used is really cool & such fun. Cool staccato beat (toom. toom. toom. toom. Toom etc). It, funny gal Julie Hagerty, pretty girl playing Dreyfuss' screen daughter, gothic boy playing son & Guttmans (sp?) would be the few best things about it. 5.5/10.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: January 26, 2019, 04:24:53 PM »

"A Christmas Story" - yes, holidays ended. So what? Ralphie's better than his little whiny brother, such dreadful kid. I don't like kids like that at all. Father fine if trying to be funny, mother very nice if stupid at times. But she's pretty which is plus. Ralphie's friends idiots, teacher fine. Kids' enemies Skut Farkus or what's his name is super lame, laughs like major dork, not scary in the least bit. Freckly to boot, ha. His tiny sideckick who may be elementary school boy for all I care is classic lickspittle. & lickspittle is who, by default? Ab-so-lutely - loser! Haha. The leg-shaped lamp is weirdo. Ugly with fat thigh, weird out-of-date stocking & ugly shoe. & Last but not least, I everytime laugh non-stop when I see the Santa scene. The evil elf girl looks hilarious yet cute in its laughable costume fitting her funny clown-like face. Everytime I wanna pull her cheeks with great strength, pinch her retrousse nose or turn it up even higher till it meets with forehead. Or just punch her upper arm jokingly (well usually even light joking punching by me tends to be still rather painful, if people, friends Daiana, Sonya's words can be taken without grains of salt). Bottom line: fun Christmas film, in Top 3-5. 9, maybe 9.5/10.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: February 01, 2019, 09:23:40 AM »

"Walk The Line", Johnnie Cash biopic - 0/10. Due to miserable cast, epic fail.
"Reflections" - short 60s avant-garde flower power film with Jenny Boyd & some ugly guy. Many scenes with hippies Roll Eyes who I just can't stand in molecular level. 3/10 to pretty Jenny (& OK, the ugly guy mentioned since he "marries" her).
"Planet Of Apes" - 0/10.
"Little Women", Asian (maybe Japanese) animated film - 2/10.
"English Patient" - who're these people starring? Which basement/ attic casting agents found them? This is tedious at best. 0/10.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: February 01, 2019, 10:13:47 AM »

"English Patient" - who're these people starring? Which basement/ attic casting agents found them? This is tedious at best. 0/10.

LOL

Aww. Ralph Fiennes is a fantastic actor! Are you sure you were watching The English Patient?! Tongue

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: February 01, 2019, 10:53:05 AM »

I know, Ralph Fiennes is one of my favorite actors .
That being said, for some reason I had trouble getting interested in that movie.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: February 01, 2019, 12:46:09 PM »

I know, Ralph Fiennes is one of my favorite actors .
That being said, for some reason I had trouble getting interested in that movie.

Fair enough. How about Spider? My goodness...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_UENtiYlT8

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider_(2002_film)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: March 05, 2019, 10:03:54 AM »

Seen weird film dubbed "Best In Show" directed by Christopher Guest. It stars many familiar faces. It's made like dog contest doc, each contestant talks to camera, as if it's interview, they live in different states, different cities, different backgrounds (duh). It's meant to be funny (the music got humorous side to it) but frankly, the humor falls flat. Not 100% sure but looks like this film derides dog competitions, dog people, generally pet-worshipping people. It does it well in that dept, it ain't funny though. I see it 2nd time since year & half ago (for change, decided then to see films about dogs, google it, Imdb list results appear, by description I pick this film & download) & it's still weird to these eyes. I didn't see anything like it b4.

Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: March 05, 2019, 11:08:05 AM »

That's Christopher Guest's style. He makes "mockumentaries" (aka fake documentaries), and Best In Show was basically about the people and dogs that participate in the Westminster Dog Show. It does poke fun at competitive dog show owners. But if you've seen real-life dog show people, it's not all that off-base. I thought it was funny, but obviously not for everyone. Guest also made Spinal Tap, all-time cult classic.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: March 05, 2019, 12:17:38 PM »

Best in Show was spot on , in my opinion. It's hard for me to watch real dog shows since seeing that film.

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: March 12, 2019, 10:36:29 AM »

Best in Show was spot on , in my opinion. It's hard for me to watch real dog shows since seeing that film.

Agreed. Netflix has a documentary series called "7 Days Out" about various big events and what it takes to prepare for them. One episodes features the Westminster Dog Show, and some of the owners/handlers could have come right out of "Best In Show."
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: March 14, 2019, 06:24:58 AM »

"Black Cat" w/ Bela Lugosi & Boris Karloff. 3.5/5 - too short.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: March 23, 2019, 07:01:26 AM »

Had seen the trailer for Toy Story 4 a couple of days ago. The buzz on the internet is that the song played during the second half of it is none other than GOK.
Spent last night reading various posts about it.

The "cheezburger" site summed it up well:
 "Twitter's on a well-warranted Feels Trip right now thanks to Toy Story 4. How about a kind warning next time? Apparently you can add the Beach Boys love song, 'God Only Knows,' cue into just about anything , and emotions, weeping, tears will arise. The reactions from Twitter users who are deep in their feels is entertaining at least."

I've only seen the first Toy Story movie. Are the other ones just as good?

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: March 23, 2019, 09:05:19 AM »

Had seen the trailer for Toy Story 4 a couple of days ago. The buzz on the internet is that the song played during the second half of it is none other than GOK.

"Twitter's on a well-warranted Feels Trip right now thanks to Toy Story 4. How about a kind warning next time? Apparently you can add the Beach Boys love song, 'God Only Knows,' cue into just about anything , and emotions, weeping, tears will arise. The reactions from Twitter users who are deep in their feels is entertaining at least."

In my opinion, the second and third are better than the first, which is extraordinarily rare in cinema. Just looking at the trailer for #4 though, I think the new one looks terrible, doing what the other ones have avoided in replicating old story lines.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: March 23, 2019, 09:31:02 AM »

Weirdos. What's the big deal about GOK being used in cartoon? It's magnificent song but the buzz is really pointless. Roll Eyes Didn't know lotta people would be suddenly crazy about any BBs song. Since when? I say don't read posts about it, better seek BBC series about Miss Marple featuring J. Hickson as lead sleuth. The best - "A Murder Is Announced" with brilliant U.K. cast & case. Check it.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 09:32:43 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: March 23, 2019, 10:07:51 AM »

I don't think it's weird about people getting emotional about a song. God Only Knows, in particular, "gets" to people in a way few other pop songs do. The power of Brian at work.
I'm addition, using GOK in the trailer indicates that the movie will not be a completely feel good experience but will contain bittersweet elements as well.
The other two BB songs that people really respond positively to are Don't Worry Baby and Wouldn't it be Nice.

I'll check out that Miss Marple series.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 10:34:26 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: March 23, 2019, 01:48:31 PM »

Weirdos. What's the big deal about GOK being used in cartoon? It's magnificent song but the buzz is really pointless. Roll Eyes Didn't know lotta people would be suddenly crazy about any BBs song. Since when? I say don't read posts about it, better seek BBC series about Miss Marple featuring J. Hickson as lead sleuth. The best - "A Murder Is Announced" with brilliant U.K. cast & case. Check it.

Pointless? Oddly enough, it was 'Don't Worry Baby' in a Hollywood movie that reminded me of the Beach Boys music some 11 years ago, which catapulted me into an era where I listened to most of their music, scoured books about them, went to concerts, even got to meet Brian himself, shake his hand, and thank him for all the beautiful music he has created. And I would definitely venture to say that their music helped me find my love for creativity, which is driving my current career path.

That's how much just ONE Beach Boys song in a movie can change someone's life forever. So I'll take being labelled crazy or weird because I got excited about a song in a movie, rather than never hearing that song at all.

They are all so worth watching. I actually prefer the first one, just because it was a movie I loved as a kid. The second one has a much more adventurous story, and the third one is so colorful, almost more dark than the first two. I'm looking forward to watching this fourth one. Pixar has yet to disappoint me, and I doubt they will ever.

NOLA BB Fan, have you seen the movie Wall-E? I highly recommend it...probably the best Pixar movie I've ever seen.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: March 24, 2019, 09:15:29 AM »

NOLA BB Fan, have you seen the movie Wall-E? I highly recommend it...probably the best Pixar movie I've ever seen.

Coco!
beachcat
Smiley Smile Associate

Gen X'er "Living in the Past"

View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: March 24, 2019, 09:22:46 PM »

I also agree! I've watched it a couple of times already.

My latest movie was Bubba-Hotep. I'm a fan of Bruce Campbell Wink
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 09:25:24 PM by beachcat » Logged

"Star bright, star light,
Make this wish come true tonight..."
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: March 25, 2019, 03:18:06 PM »

2 rab & Nola - we look at songs differently. As I said numerous times in music threads, I don't give a fig about if song X brings or doesn't bring emotion. To me, it's the least important thing about listening experience. & when I hear familar songs in films, it doesn't make me go crazy about it - "Wow, Beach Boys song! Awesome! Tears of joy!". This is not the way I operate. In fact, total apathy. I simply acknowledge the fact BBs song is used in this & that. Alright? Smiley

Nola - what did you mean, btw, by "It's hard for me to watch real dog shows"? Do you mean it scares?
"A Murder..." is the 3rd ep in Miss Marple series. Isn't long wait. :D It's the best ep, believe me. You'll be surprised in the end to see who's the real murderer.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: March 25, 2019, 06:03:40 PM »

2 rab & Nola - we look at songs differently. As I said numerous times in music threads, I don't give a fig about if song X brings or doesn't bring emotion. To me, it's the least important thing about listening experience. & when I hear familar songs in films, it doesn't make me go crazy about it - "Wow, Beach Boys song! Awesome! Tears of joy!". This is not the way I operate. In fact, total apathy. I simply acknowledge the fact BBs song is used in this & that. Alright? Smiley

That's totally fine Cheesy If we were all the same, we'd all be robots. So I'm glad you enjoy the music in your own way. But also keep in mind that that emotion brought about by music (whether because it is in film, shows, radio) is not pointless to many others, and it may not make them weirdos for feeling that way.

Cheers, RR Smiley

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: March 28, 2019, 06:25:36 AM »

Got this lined up for four-part watching. Valentijn was pretty pioneering in 2007. But the Dutch are often at the forefront where pushing back boundaries and eradicating taboos are concerned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-vnVr1rhns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp_rDLohCkU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIEVd_4akc8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yMP0HNZ1GY

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/transgender-celebrities-you-need-to-know/9/   

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: March 28, 2019, 07:32:10 PM »

2 rab - sure. Waiting NOLA-girla, what she answers to the question.

Youtube discovery -  "Sense & Sensibility", BBC Jane Austen 1971 adaptation. Smb. graciously posted full movie divided into 10-minute segments. Didn't read book to compare but like the film presentation. Nice tale. Discovered it when wished to see anything else featuring British actress Joanna David, since I liked her in "Rebecca" (with the best-looking guy ever, talented Jeremy Brett). What's puzzling about title is that "sense" here means rational, whilst "sensibility" - feelings. Shouldn't it be reverse? As in 5 senses & sensibility as in sensible which is synonym to "reasonable"? Paging true English speakers.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: March 29, 2019, 05:12:34 PM »

Nola - what did you mean, btw, by "It's hard for me to watch real dog shows"? Do you mean it scares?

No it's not scary to watch real dog shows. But the "Best in Show" mockumentary seemed so spot on that I just assume that the behind the scenes drama, meltdowns etc were like the real thing. And the announcers in the film said the same basic thing as in a real show.
(The ultimate reason I have trouble watching those dog shows, however, is that our dog goes cuckoo and attacks the TV)

One of my sisters is a Queen fan. The other day she showed me a short video of one of their performances. As it played I tried not to laugh . The beginning of it looked a lot like the first part of "This is Spinal Tap." ** I didn't tell her that - didn't want to make her mad !

** "TiST" is not quite as funny as when I first saw it in the early 80s. Why? Because during the last tour I went on with the folk ensemble I was in, a couple of similar events to what happened in the film happened to us.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: March 29, 2019, 05:29:37 PM »

It doesn't quite explain what do you mean by "hard to watch". If it's not scary, what then? Too weird? Too funny? Do you get what is asked? I'd like to understand this phrase "hard to watch for me" movie A or movie Z. I'd seen it before.

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 56   Go Up
Print
Jump to: