-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:21:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 56   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 443496 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1200 on: November 01, 2018, 06:29:19 PM »

Next movie seen - the new remake "Murder On The Orient Express". It's funny to see Johnnie Depp playing short time role. But ultimately, it's good as I can't stand him. Michelle Pfeiffer is really good at comedic characters, she should get into this thing frequently. This is rather humor-tinged version of this story. The serious is 2000s film with David Suchet in which at the end he himself decided to change the novel's ending where Poirot decides to hide the truth he discovered, defend the murderers. David made his hero to be in the law's side & religion (don't kill, if you kill, be punished) & he addressed the murderers strictly, severely. Here, Kenneth Branagh went with Christie's ending & perhaps the Sidney Lumet 1974 version ending. That said, bottom line is mixed review as despite it being well-done, I didn't like few character changes. It seemed lame. & the dialogs at times didn't help to see who's who. 2/5.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: November 05, 2018, 06:51:06 AM »

Jeez, smb.'s got really touchy. Roll Eyes Welp. If KDS took offense at that harmless question/ bit/ observation/ interrogation/ whatever, it's not my problem. Doesn't want to answer? Don't. *facepalm*
Next film seen - "Suspicion", 1941 directed by Hitch. Expected to see supreme acting by Joan Fontaine in it - it's single role Hitch's actor took Oscar for! - aaaaand...it fell flat. Unbelievable, she played basically the same shy girl year prior in "Rebecca" but MUCH better fleshed out & she gets Oscar just now, for such teeny weeny dull acting/ dull scripted character? Who sat in jury that year? She's got really good rivals yet SHE did win. Wow. Boring film, Cary Grant wasted his time, talent there as well. 1/5 to the music.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: November 10, 2018, 04:15:09 AM »

"What Ever Happened To Baby Jane" with Joan Crawford, Bette Davis. Such bad song "I've Written A Letter To Daddy". & this is actually sth. the audience went crazy about? Really? Even if it's 1917, sure people back then weren't fools & could tell bad song & good? It's interesting in 1935 time in the film they showed real films starring Davis & Crawford, films within films, albeit short bits in the theatre & TV screens respectively. Speaking of, Bette was pretty when young & in "All About Eve", prettier than Anne Baxter/ Eve Harrington that's for sure. As to Joan Crawford, she's real stunner, even at this point in her career, in the 60s. Maybe it's just make-up but I doubt. I'm impressed by her beauty. & she's beautiful voice, very ladylike, elegant. Anyhoo, these 2 actresses really fit playing together, just like Shelley Duvall & Cissy Spacek in "3 Women". There's not many times when main cast fit being together in the same film. Davis & Crawford did, splendidly. Supporting cast is nice. Plotwise it's cool, I really like films about seclusion, big freakish gothic house, black & white, about psychotic people. These would be main favorite tags. The end is interesting if kinda gloomy. 3.5/5.

"Nun's Story" with Audrey Hepburn. Despite what some doctor told her & her father doubting, I really believed the mothers & sisters in church when they told main girl she'll be great nun, she's natural, it's her fate etc. She looked like she would imo, during film, but in the end she surprisingly gives up & goes out to street leaving the church uniform & lifestyle behind. I took to mean she likes to simply be nurse, not simultaneously it & nun. It's good if bit too lengthy movie. Audrey's brilliant in it but she's better at funny films. 3/5. Favorite film about nuns/ church/ similar subject matter still remains "La Religieuse" with Anna Karina.

"Let's Scare Jessica To Death" with Zohra Lampert (she played short role in "Opening Night" 6 yrs later). I'd just like 1st to say that music is fantabulous. It's typical as in it's horror film music when you hear. Yet, it didn't resort to banalities. To me at least; I'd seen many in which music is samey, same fright sound fx. Not here. It's varied, uses many instruments, percussion, piano-driven, it isn't variations of the same theme - it's different bits. Interestingly, film begins-ends with the same scene. I.e. film bookended by it. I really like Zohra's narration style, it's like it's philosophical, slow & kinda drowsy. & ofc really like her low cracked voice. Plus smile. Should say this is really good vintage house they used in film. Vintage antique things she found in the attic really cool. Pity they had to sell them. Its duration is average "hour & half" but seems longer. Sometimes it's good thing in horrors. I dislike about vampires but here it's very subtly shown. Which makes it unique. The main character sees things & hears & funny thing is the girl in white running doesn't turn out to be ghost - the others seen her as well, which is anything except predictable. Still, she (main character) behaved as schizophrenic & at times I did think some images/ voices was her imagination. Bottom line: cool film. 4.5/5.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: November 14, 2018, 12:47:17 PM »

Rereading my movie reviews - they're marvellous. I'm smart. Speaking of "Baby Jane", I'd just seen 90s remake with Redgrave sisters Lynn & Vanessa. It's nice, set to its times rather than being book/ 60s film cc. I'm impressed by Lynn's acting, albeit her OTT (monolithic's TM) make-up made me laugh. It's not funny looking at Bette Davis' make-up & little girl baby Jane hairstyle but Lynn's is hilarious. Even so, she, to me, is creepier than Davis' characterization. The way she stares with blank doll eyes full screen it's like she's on to Blanche, reads what plan the latter starts thinking in panic regarding what to say. & that half-smiling with eyes, half-smiling with mouth gives edge. & she did what sounds like American accent really well. Vanessa's Blanche is too plain, Joan Crawford's is better expressed. To add to it, Vanessa's got terrible British accent. There's many terrible British accents but think this is the worst. & her voice is just not my bag as far as female voices go. I pay attn to such details. Looking at pics with normal-looking, clown make-up free Lynn, she's very pretty, prettier than Vanessa who looks like plain Jane. Anyhoo, isn't bad remake. TV remakes usually superior to the theatrical movie remakes of the past films.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: November 17, 2018, 05:28:45 PM »

Finally seen "Nicholas & Alexandra", RM-adapted 1971 film. To save time, will be short - Epic Fail. 0/5. 'kay, 0.5/5 to few settings.

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: November 19, 2018, 04:19:23 PM »

RRA1 - I never knew that the Redgrave sisters did a remake of Baby Jane. Loved the original so much that I'll have to pass.  But I LOVED Lynn
in Georgy Girl.. And the song by the Seekers always gives a me rush!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: December 02, 2018, 05:19:05 PM »

"Dial M For Murder" (1954) - next dull suspense by Hitch since "Suspicion" (1941). Its running time could be shorter, i.e. investigation: the police chef could deduce the real guilty swifter by paying attention to husband calling wife funnily right in time when smb. tried to strangle her. Despite this disadvantage, the cast is fine, at least nobody's miscast. Grace Kelly plays vulnerable victim well, ditto Ray Milland secretly envious but well-mannered good-natured husband & Anthony Dawson the guy hired to kill her. 1.5/5.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: December 05, 2018, 05:32:56 AM »

Soviet Union short "Blue & Green" (1970) - like the harpsichord music, nice settings but, if it's been feature film, it'd be dullfest. 2/5.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: December 13, 2018, 01:58:55 AM »

The Omega Man (1971)

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: December 13, 2018, 05:39:01 PM »

I'd seen "Wizard Of Oz" again since last time being last year. I, in a way, like it little bit better than then but, frankly, looking at dwarf people being used like this doesn't seem right. I wish there'd been films with dwarves in the same way as there's 99,8% films with usual height actors. Either book adaptations or new scripts, them playing different characters with different fortunes. It'd be good.

Lion's really annoying, been waiting when he quits being easily scared. Ditto Iron chap, the scene with him is waaay too slow, they could skip few oil-splashing bits. Glinda could be much prettier. Couldn't they find smb. good-looking? Flying monkeys made me laugh, they're hilarious!

Why Dorothy frowns frequently? Incidentally, she got cute legs when she danced with Scarecrow, during the bit when they turned backs to go by yellow path & moved arms to & fro in sync with legs. Really beautiful shoes, btw. Ofc doesn't fit her dress.

Fave scene is when they get to green land Oz & given beautician treatment, then met with epic fail that the wizard isn't real wizard, ha! Fave song "...because x5" (didn't check its real title). It's positive & catchy, everybody sings it well.

gruelingpace
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: December 13, 2018, 11:44:27 PM »

The transfers of City Lights and Gold Rush on the Criterion collection are great . Last two I watched were those. City Lights I feel foolish only now for having finally the clarity to discern that chaplin in the final scene does not get the girl. The sentimental decorations and my own youth in the past blinded me. Blinded me to many things. Filmic, or otherwise.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: December 14, 2018, 05:44:32 AM »

The transfers of City Lights and Gold Rush on the Criterion collection are great . Last two I watched were those. City Lights I feel foolish only now for having finally the clarity to discern that chaplin in the final scene does not get the girl. The sentimental decorations and my own youth in the past blinded me. Blinded me to many things. Filmic, or otherwise.

Love both of those movies. Saw City Lights just recently. I feel like the ending is more ambiguous - I'm not sure if he does or doesn't get the girl. What's even more intriguing to me is that if he doesn't get the girl. is that smile on his face an expression his naiveté or does he know and he's just trying to persevere in the face of crushing humiliation? Or is he genuinely about the embark on a great romance? The ambiguity of it is what makes it one of the great final shots in cinema.
gruelingpace
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: December 14, 2018, 06:57:20 AM »

doesn't get the girl.  and he's just trying to persevere in the face of crushing humiliation?
Yes.The only light at the end of the tunnel for the Tramp is in excusing her actions in good humor upon being rebuffed.  
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 07:01:19 AM by greenhorn » Logged
gruelingpace
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: December 14, 2018, 07:06:58 AM »

Love both of those movies.
Do you have any opinion on The Gold Rush in its estate-approved 1942 version versus the 1925?

I've never watched the latter.
Tried to many years ago. Back in the VHS days.
 I rented many a silent film not realizing that there would be no synchronized soundtrack of newly composed, or recorded music.
 I've never been able to sit through that type of presentation !
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: December 14, 2018, 08:29:40 AM »

Do you have any opinion on The Gold Rush in its estate-approved 1942 version versus the 1925?

I rented many a silent film not realizing that there would be no synchronized soundtrack of newly composed, or recorded music.

You know what - I'm not sure exactly which version I saw. It was a long time ago but I think it must have been the 1942 version, given your description. I think I have both available to me now through Kanopy so I should give them a try to compare.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: December 14, 2018, 09:19:09 AM »

Lion's really annoying, been waiting when he quits being easily scared. Ditto Iron chap, the scene with him is waaay too slow, they could skip few oil-splashing bits. Glinda could be much prettier. Couldn't they find smb. good-looking? Flying monkeys made me laugh, they're hilarious!

I love the Cowardly Lion. He reminds me of my cat Tanner. She puts up a tough front but when she gets stuck somewhere she meows for me to rescue her. She's a scaredy cat.
My sister got me a placard for Christmas one year. I put it up at work. The placard said "Don t make me send out the flying monkeys!"   Grin
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 09:19:52 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: December 14, 2018, 09:38:43 AM »

Love City Lights! I tear up just thinking of the ending .

As for The Gold Rush, the 1942 version is the authorized version. It has an original soundtrack and narration by Chaplin. The main difference is the ending. In the 1942 version , the film ends when the Tramp and Georgia walk up the stairs of the ship. It does not contain the following scene of them posing for a photograph and the long kiss.
As for the 1925 version it used to be "buyer beware." Somehow the Chaplin people forgot to renew the copyright so the film went into the public domain. I saw some awful versions years back, bad film print , goofy music.
 Nowadays it's easy to find excellent versions of the film. the best is the Criterion Collection version. a great print and score based on Chaplin's later version. There is a "Georgia" theme song that comes in whenever she appears.
Hard to pick a favorite scene. But when the Tramp turns into a chicken, Chaplin's movements are just like a chicken's.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 09:51:46 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: December 14, 2018, 10:14:13 AM »

Love City Lights! I tear up just thinking of the ending .

Me too! It was a real emotional experience watching it a few weeks ago.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: December 15, 2018, 07:44:20 PM »

"Lincoln" (2012) - 2/5, in 10 scale 5.5/10.
"The Strange World Of Planet X" (1958 sci-fi, bugs grew, walk around frightened people) - 3/5, in 10 scale 7/10.

gruelingpace
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: December 16, 2018, 10:37:46 AM »

I'll agree that Lincoln sucked, but did you like There Will be Blood?

I feel I might need to act as a Daniel Day-Leiws apologist. This is why I ask.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: December 17, 2018, 04:44:49 AM »

I didn't see TWBB. Film I'd seen with DLL is "My Left Foot" about Christy Brown. It's the Top 10 favorite. I esp. like Brenda Fricker playing what to me is the best mother character in cinema.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: December 20, 2018, 02:35:46 PM »

"Alice In Wonderland" (1933) - best film version with best Alice (Charlotte Henry). Next best 1972 film "Alice's Adventures In Wonderland", Alice by Fiona Fullerton.

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: December 21, 2018, 03:32:51 AM »

Alfonso Cuaron's Roma which has been making waves this year. I found it tedious and boring, despite a few really nice moments. Sorry, don't get the hype.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: December 21, 2018, 11:40:31 AM »

I'll agree that Lincoln sucked, but did you like There Will be Blood?

I feel I might need to act as a Daniel Day-Leiws apologist. This is why I ask.

Lincoln was a huge disappointment. I feel a lot of Spielburg's recent movies have been watered down for a children's audience (Lincoln and Bridge of Spies to be exact).

There Will Be Blood is INCREDIBLE. The cinematography is really good and about as impressive as the acting.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: January 07, 2019, 10:57:10 AM »

For the first time in a long time I listened to a few Springsteen albums and I was reminded that "Highway Patrolman" inspired the 1991 film The Indian Runner. It's one of those films that sticks with you for a while... thinking about life and family. It was a good film. If anyone has seen it and has any thoughts on the ending, I'd like to hear them. In particular, about what happened between Frank and Caesar (the bartender) which precipitated the end of the film. I watched it last night and I'm still thinking about it. I may not have checked it out, but I respect Penn, Mortensen, and Morse. I soon found out Hopper and Bronson also had roles. Any thoughts on The Indian Runner?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102116/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Perhaps this thread should be moved to the 'General Entertainment' section?

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 56   Go Up
Print
Jump to: